This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion
Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. Use the guidelines on this page to keep this a clean, well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.
Improve the Discussion
Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small.
The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.
One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Please spend some time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.
Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree
You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people, and find ways to create positive, productive conversation.
- Address people kindly.
- Assume the best - take the most charitable interpretation of what someone has said.
- Respond to the words you see, rather than to the tone you hear.
- Think through what you want to say and provide support for your argument.
- Consider the possibility that you might not be right.
If You See a Problem, Flag It
When you see bad behavior, flag it. Staff and moderators will get a notification and we can take a look. The person who wrote the post will not see who flagged it.
Always Be Civil
Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:
- Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
- Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
- Respect each other. Don’t harass or otherwise abuse others.
- Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.
This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.
Keep It Tidy
Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:
- Put your topic in the best category.
- Choose a descriptive title. Someone should be able to infer your topic’s content from the title alone.
- Try to stay on topic. If you want to move the conversation in a new direction, start a new topic using the Reply as a New Topic button.
Post Only Your Own Stuff
You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.
Terms of Service
Yes, legalese is boring, but we must protect ourselves – and by extension, you and your data – against unfriendly folks. We have a Terms of Service describing your (and our) behavior and rights related to content, privacy, and laws. To use this service, you must agree to abide by our TOS.