1.1.3 Review of Introduction to Critical Thinking activity

1. Is critical thinking important? Why, or why not?
  2. How will the understanding and use of critical thinking benefit you in your life now and in the future?
  3. How do emotions affect one’s ability to think critically?
  1. Critical thinking is important because it leads us to better reasoning and independence in thinking and acting. It also helps development of some relevant human characteristics such as humility, emotional intelligence, because it helps to build active listening and the ability to put into question our own knowledge and beliefs. That kind of reasoning if thought in schools is a powerful tool in making this world better i.e. liberal and democratic.

2. This kind of reasoning is very important in prospective analysis which is something I want to deal with in various sectors. It will help me not only to sharpen my reasoning in my professional life, but will also leave an impact on my interaction with other people.

3. Emotions, if we are only guided by them, can blind us in our reasoning and decision-making. Emotions make us very subjective and do not allow us to see a global picture and even admit we are wrong if that is the case. They often lead us to biased judgments. On the other hand, properly combined with critical thinking and well analyzed, they tell us a lot about us. That combination is the best way to use if we want to understand ourselves and therefore other people too.

3 Likes
  1. It is a very important ability, not only in one’s career, but especially in one’s life. Reason is man’s tool of survival, and it’s the faculty that distinguishes us from the animals. To arrive at truth in reasoning, we need to think critically. If we are to be successful in reasoning (and in consequence, in survival) we need an explicit, sharp method of thinking critically.
    Everybody thinks critically to some degree, and to that degree they are successful in reasoning. For example, if somebody told you that there are giant spiders on the planet Mars that study Descartes, would you believe that, or anyone sane? Why? Because there’s no proof.
    See, everybody thinks critically. Now, when you are told that there is a supernatural, transcendental realm, would you believe that?
    It’s crucial to think critically. It determines how successful, to what degree in touch with reality, your life will be. Will you spend your time enjoying yourself, say on a walk, or will you engage in mystic rituals?

2. I will have an explicit method of dealing with new concepts. I will make better questions regarding concepts, and it will become my habit.

3. Emotions can clog reasoning in all sorts of ways. Being intellectually mature is separating your emotions from your reasoning.

2 Likes
  1. The use and understanding of critical thinking allow us to be independent, rational thinkers and decision makers. Critical thinking is a skill that is beneficial in numerous facets of life as determining direction when everyday dilemmas arise, choosing the path of our personal and professional life, accepting certain people into our life or the converse, etcetera.

2. Emotions can overshadow critical thinking. Critical thinking, to a great extent, can go out the window if strong emotions dominate.

2 Likes

The importance of critical thinking

I come from a nursing background. The actions that nurses perform and the care they implement has a significant impact on the health outcomes for patients in the health care system. These nursing interventions are, of course, the product of thinking. Therefore, outcomes of care are the result of the quality of thinking on the part of the nurse. If thinking is poor, actions may be unsafe, which may lead to negative patient outcomes. If thinking is good, then actions will be appropriate and safe, and will contribute to positive outcomes for patients. So critical thinking is extremely important in nursing. The importance of thinking critically can be applied to any area where decision making about actions and behaviours are made that affect others. There are few human activities where this is not important. Therefore, critical thinking is important in most human activities.

The role of emotions in critical thinking

Emotions are an integral part of what it means to be human. Sometimes, individuals attempt to marginalise their emotions when they are trying to think clearly. This is a mistake. Emotions are the product of thinking and, by examining them carefully, and considering the beliefs and values that have led to the emotions, can help us identify significant issues that need exploring. So emotions are part of the information that, along with other information we collect when thinking, we need to consider, evaluate, and draw on. We should not think with our emotions. They need to be brought into the process of thinking as a valuable, but limited, piece of information which informs out thinking.

3 Likes

Hi Matt.

Just wondering whether you could elaborate on your suggestion that we separate our emotions from our reasoning. I’m wondering whether that is actually possible to do… but it depends a bit on what you mean.

Thanks
Steve

1 Like

Is critical thinking important? Why, or why not?

Critical thinking is an effort that can be used to assess something objectively, systematically, correctly and clearly, both in everyday life in solving a problem or in a working environment.

How will the understanding and use of critical thinking benefit you in your life now and in the future?

For example, in the field of legal work, where critical thinking is clearly necessary in terms of mapping the legal issues clearly, thoroughly and objectively. Another benefit is in the development of education/science law, critical thinking may able to make the light of any theory of law that is loaded with subjective interpretation, and in a certain capacity critical thinking can explore other legal discoveries that can be beneficial to the life of society that is currently very rapidly experiencing the change of norms in life. Examples of legal developments should be able to adapt to the development of digital technology that is rapidly changing.

How do emotions affect one’s ability to think critically?

Emotions are a feeling based on a subjective assumption that affects the reasoning of a person in thinking. This means that because one’s fiction is based on subjective experiences that are full of importance there is a barrier in itself to think achieving an objective, fair, and able truth to avoid Fallacies.

Without critical thinking there would be a lot of things passed over with a quick glance verses taking a deeper dive into them. Critical thinking takes the universe and slows it down to process one thing at a time and view it from many standpoints. We can react to the world better when we practice critical thinking habits.
Practicing critical thinking and making it a habit will benefit my life in many ways. I will be able to process my job and produce greater results than what technology has to offer. In my job they are looking to move away from us being robots and processing paperwork mindlessly to using critical thinking skills and seeing things technology does not see. In the future it will help me throughout school and building my own business. It will, also, help in the way I process the things around me. It will help me to learn how to think about a topic from all angles to see different views.
Most people react to a situation and respond to it instantly. If everyone could harness the critical thinking skills it would greatly improve the world we live in today. There would be better results and better understandings of how things work and what matters. We could conquer so much more if we were to take a step back from emotions and process things with a critical thought. I believe, that emotion can cloud clear critical thinking. That does not mean that it should not be used in critical thinking strategies but harnessed for the good. There are so many times in my personal life that emotions have got in the way of clear critical thinking. Emotions play a big role in everything we do, sometimes a bigger role than they should be allowed. Because of this, that is why I feel that emotions play a big part in the way we can critically think and assess a situation. Practicing these skills will give us the power to take a step back and approach things with a clear foot.

Critical thinking is vitally important because it helps to, 1. make sense of the world, 2. hopefully, avoid errors in judgement, 3. be able to find truth in a world of deceit.

Critical thinking helps me to spot flaws in my children’s arguments, in having discussions with people to not follow the crowd, and spotting inconsistencies in news programs, tv shows and movies.
Emotions are the Achilles heel of Critical Thinking. When we are emotionally connected to ideas, or opinions our judgement can be clouded. We need to be more like the half Vulcan Spock. Now, we also need to make sure we are not so cold that we hurt people because our thinking has lead us to a conclusion that, although logical, is not the right answer at that time.

Some times big feelings or emotions lead us to think critically about an issue. Can emotions lead us to think critically?