Analyze an Article

Read an article, either online or in print, that discusses a current event. Identify the author’s claim, audience, purpose, and tone.

In three to five paragraphs, explain your reaction to the article. For example, you might consider the following questions:

• Do you agree with the author’s claim?
  • Do you think you are a member of the intended audience?
  • Does the tone of the article seem appropriate to the intended audience and purpose?
  • If not, what would you change to better accomplish the author’s purpose?

After you complete this activity, identify the audience of your own argumentative essay. The topic is:

"How does my selected activity or characteristic impact success in an Internet-based college course?"

I recently had the opportunity to view an interview of Dr. Dan Erickson and Dr. Artin Massihi, both experienced microbiologists and immunologists. In the one hour interview, the doctors are talking with members of the media about COVD 19 and whether or not we are taking appropriate steps to mitigate the spread of the virus. Their claim is that initially, the steps that were taken were appropriate. The public was asked to voluntarily quarantine and wear a mask and socially distance when going out in public. However, now that some time has passed and we have some data to analyze, they believe that we are doing more harm than good by continuing to quarantine and socially distance.

It it their claim that the data shows that although the number of people who have tested positive for COVD19 is very high, the number of deaths is very low. In other words, while it is very contagious, there is a very low chance of dying if you have a healthy immune system. They go on to provide statistics of the number of positive tests vs deaths in several major cities. For example, they state that if you live in the state of California you have a 0.03% chance of dying from COVD19.

They continue to state that quarantining ourselves is doing more harm than good at this point. Our immune systems are constantly working to create antibodies to bacteria and viruses that we come in contact with and that by eliminating the exposure we are weakening our immune systems so that when we come out of quarantine we will likely get sick.

Their explanations seemed very credible to me and I was persuaded to believe they’re correct. I believe it’s time to take steps to reopen stores and return life to normal. I would like to see stores and public parks and beaches open immediately. Followed by restaurants on a 50% capacity. We can continue to social distance and only if you are sick should you be quarantined and be asked to wear a mask in public.

1 Like

The audience of my own essay on " How does my selected activity or characteristic impact success in an Internet-based college course" is anyone who is considering taking an internet based college course.

2 Likes