ARTH 101 Discussion Topic 1: Exposure to Art

“What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?”

I’ve been exposed to visual art in many ways. I have dabbled in various forms from hand embroidery to acrylic pour art and everything in between. My style is eccentric and never single-tracked.

1 Like

I have been exposed to arts mostly through school. We made frequent field trips to different museums with different kinds of arts. I hardly ever make art, but I enjoy exploring it.

1 Like

I have always enjoyed visiting galleries as an adult, both locally and when travelling but have become increasingly interested in art as I’ve become older. I am interested in creative writing, and have dabbled in poetry, but an not a maker of visual art. My daughter is a developing visual artist and going to study visual art at University and her development has furthered my interest in art as an admirer and consumer of art. I like to view art, especially contemporary art and like to write reviews of exhibitions for an online site so would like to further my knowledge in art appreciation.

1 Like

Hello, my name is Kathy :wave:

My exposure to art has been one art class in junior high school and many years of hobby photography. My paternal grandfather was an amateur photographer but he was about the only artsy one in the family. I’ve had a few tries at drawing with mediocre results. Painting didn’t fair any better. I picked up a camera at 19 and have been taking pictures since. I don’t have much experience with anything else.

2 Likes

Hi my name is Miranda,

i Am an artist my self, I have done events where I have done live painting.
My experience comes from being the Art Director for a summer camp program for about 3years, which caused me todo a lot of research. I do indeed make art, I paint and I am a tattoo artist. My median is acrylics and canvases, also skin and ink. My painting style is Abstract, and erotic, my tattoo style varies upon mood, I’m Infatuated with hand poking, Geo, and New School tattooing. My audience is anyone over the age of 18, however I have done pictures for children.

3 Likes

We used to have a drawing period in junior classes and when i say drawing period i don’t mean a proper art teacher. It was just cartoons and that stock drawing every kid has drawn of a house with conical roof with a four paneled window, a bright morning sun peeking through the mountains, a meandering river near the mountains, and a road leading up to the house with a car in the drive way.
One of my brothers and a cousin who lived with us when we were children had a good hand in drawing. We used to have them draw diagrams for us but I haven’t seen them drawing anything since. As for me, I never got past doodling patterns and simple faces. I follow a lot of art pages and it certainly gives me a certain pleasure to see colours and lines spread across a canvas. I do like visiting art galleries whenever I could.

4 Likes

I love to paint pottery. It’s usually for our children or family.

3 Likes

When I first learned about the kind of art that I discovered I was in the fourth grade. However, I never really did much with it. But my best friend, who is a painter, brought some painting materials over to my house and that’s when I discovered that I loved art, which was only about over a year ago. I usually use mixed medias, like oil, watercolor, and acrylic paint, but sometimes I use oil pastels as well. All in all, my friend also introduced me to Bob Ross. What a fantastic inspiration - both my friend and Bob Ross! I even have a Bob Ross T-shirt now. He taught me that art is a form of expressing your feelings, and he is right. I have been busy going to college this year (I’m a pharmacy major), but I am hoping to go into an art class next semester.

1 Like

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

visual art is something you can see, feel mentally and physically its something thats really touching to you and something that relates to you. art is something that can contain a story or have a whole book behind it. i take pictures of alot of things and thats a form of art because you capture the moment and make into something that means something to you.

2 Likes

In my case I’ve had a lot of exposure to visual art. Social media had played a big part in creating that for me. Social media tends to be a hub where everyone can share and express themselves through art. Creating a network for artist that can share their art for many other artists to see or for people that have no connection with art to come across by.

2 Likes

I started singing and dancing at a very young age. When i turned 8, my grandma taught me to crochet, knit and sew,to play the ukelele.
Then I started working on my cross stitch.
Then 5 years ago, I was sent by the sxchool to a one month seminar on art appreciation and that is where i took an interest in visual arts. Since then i had been doing pointillism and been teaching my students

2 Likes

I have spent quite a bit of this last year investigating a wide range of fields that could give a superior comprehension of this workmanship experience. Neurobiology, Psychology (esp. Transformative Psychology) and Philosophy were all zones of concentrate that were yielding entrancing experiences into what we have come to allude to freely as craftsmanship. It was my encounters with this examination that intensified Joyce’s words at that Christmas supper. Her remark appeared to talk legitimately to what I was finding.

1 Like

I have consistently been presented to and a devotee of visual craftsmanship. Experiencing childhood in an extreme downtown, I particularly recall having a thankfulness for spray painting craftsmanship and comic books. In center school I filled in as a Museum Docent at Rhode Island School of Design as a feature of a multi year network administration venture. This experience presented me to an a lot more extensive scope of workmanship; everything from old style renaissance craftsmanship to current activity and designs. I in the end developed into getting a charge out of computerized sound and visual generation as a fine art learning programs like Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut, and Protools. Normally I did illustrations or music as a side interest with companions, and not for a specific group of spectators. My drawing craftsmanship originated from my interest with funnies as a child, and my enthusiasm with music was roused

1 Like

I haven’t had much exposure to visual art. When I have, it was mostly through the artwork of a video game’s world. Video games such as World of Warcraft, Zelda, and Pokemon have dominated my life growing up. I grew up in hospitals, and I’ve always found the paintings on the walls to be boring. I dream of one day going to a big museum to finally understand art. Is writing an art? I love reading stories and writing my own stories. Even if it isn’t an art, it is something I do enjoy and that allows me to be creative. Each day, I love to read posts on Amor Verus, a post-by-post roleplaying forum. It has an interesting back story of which you create the account of a lone character going through a world with amnesia in a Truman Showman type environment. Together with other persons, you create a story.

In a way, everything is art. My preferred style is written art. Being able to witness a story-crafting before my own eyes is an exhilarating experience that captures my imagination. My audience is rather small when it comes to this. I write my parts of the story targeted towards the person I am writing it for. On this Verus Amor website, we are paired with other people by a matter of circumstance. The beauty of this type of art and story writing is we never know the direction it will take off. This leaves things out of our control, which makes it more exciting and more creative by having your path be a moving target.

1 Like

i think Art is the really important for human’s development. my first glispe of the meaning of art was when i was 7. i grew old with art and i feel that its important for all of us.

2 Likes

I have had exposure to art my whole life. It has always been around me. Of course school was where I learned the most about techniques and mediums. I do create art. I am a photographer and I do draw from time to time. Pencil is my favorite traditional medium, but taking photos is what I do best currently and I am working on my degree in digital photography. Art is everywhere you look when you think about it. You just have to know how to see it.

1 Like

Since I retired I have attended a Saturday Art Group for 3 hours weekly. I paint using acrylics and gouache using mixed media occasionally. Subject matter and style are varied but I like to incorporate some humorous content where possible. I have no formal training and rely on you tubes do google images for inspiration.I have a couple of original works.

well, i’m not a surf guy and quite young so with me art is something quite normal, and so do my family, school and social activities. in order that, i still very love draw, when i was a little girl, that hobby was very big, but now, most of my time is just learning at school. my drawing changes by time. when i was small, it was cute. i bigger, it was more meaning> and now, if i do draw, it just in all my table, i never draw it offically anymore, it’s quite sad.

I cant do art to save my life. I love to go to the museum and look at art, I could spend all day there.

2 Likes

Hello. I am not an artist but I enjoy looking at artwork. Some art I love and some - not so much. I like the light and colors from the Impressionists era for paintings. I enjoy architecture and sculptures especially the ancient styles. It has been a revelation in the past decades about the colors that were used in the ancient world for the buildings and statues. There is so much to art that the sheer scope of it can not be put in this small forum.

1 Like