ARTH 101 Discussion Topic 1: Exposure to Art

Most of my art exposure has been through museums or in movies. I remember seeing my first Pollock painting in a movie and became obsessed with his work after that. I do enjoy sewing. I consider fashion a type of art. The medium for this would be fabric mostly and the notions that are used to put a piece together. My audience for it usually the average mom. I like to design clothing for kids, particularly dresses for little girls. There are other forms of art I’ve wanted to try. I enjoy taking the painting classes where you paint in a group and have a sip of wine. I’m pretty open to trying many mediums of art.

I agree with you that we seem to be exposed to art in some way from the moment we’re born. This could be through the books we read as a child or the crayons we use to color a piece of paper.

My father makes art. His style is very unique. He is able to draw and sculpt things. I love writing story’s. I have always wanted to write a book, I can draw some but no where near what my dad can.

I have been exposed to visual art in different kinds of settings. Growing up, we had a few replicas of famous paintings at home and I also enjoyed visiting museums. As an adult, I’ve visited some museums, including the Louvre, and have also attended some art exhibits to support local artists.

Even though I love drawing, art has never been a serious endeavor for me. Lack of time due to other academic pursuits, and then the birth of my son, have stopped me from making art, even if it was only for my personal viewing.

Art activates our emotional side of us. It helps us to determine people,living organisms or objects.Art supports person’s creativity.

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I didn’t have a lot of exposure to visual art unfortunately. However, i’m interested in learning more. I was always fascinated by art galleries and museums. I went to some art expos out of sheer curiosity - it’s mind blowing. I like to discuss with artists. They have a different perspective on things.

I don’t make art. However, I’m interested in how to use art and creativity in my analytical job.

I never felt confident enough about my artistic skills to ever thought about art. However, I know that blending creativity with my rational thinking skills will lead to great insights. This is why im undertaking this course.

My exposure to art was limited as a younger person. I never thought I could understand art let alone make it. It wasn’t until my late 30s that I started having burst of energy and wanting to create art.
It was strange because I never realized that I had an innate desire to be some sort of artist.
One day I signed up for a mosaic course at the Haliburton Art School. It was a full five day course that introduced me to mosaic art. I love to use found objects, china, knick knacks and glass. Since I started I see the world differently.

I was first exposed to art when I lived with my grandma at the age of 4. Her whole house had been filled with oil paintings she had painted over the years before. Due to her ability to paint, it always had come across my mind to develop some art of my own. Of course, it took awhile before they could trust me with anything more than crayons and colored pencils. The medium I tend to use are oil paints due to my past, but whenever I get a chance I tend to use oil pastels.

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?
My previous exposure to visual art started when I was in middle school. I believe art comes in all types and forms. From music to ceramics to drafting floor plans of a building art is an expression of ones self. I started playing clarinet in 6th grade, this soon progressed to saxophone. I loved the sound that I could create but as I got older band was no longer the cool club for kids. Once I hit high school I took several forms of art classes. I took drafting, drawing and ceramics, from these classes I realized that my favorite form of art was creating different shapes and forms out of clay and I continued this through high school. To this day I still appreciate a good thrown pot. I encourage my children to be active in expressing them selves through art, all my children are very unique in the different forms that they use. My oldest daughter sketches anime characters, while my younger sons love dungeons and dragons. This is what led me to signing up for this class, hoping that this will help me explain more about unknown topic to younger generations.

“What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?”

I’ve been exposed to visual art in many ways. I have dabbled in various forms from hand embroidery to acrylic pour art and everything in between. My style is eccentric and never single-tracked.

I have been exposed to arts mostly through school. We made frequent field trips to different museums with different kinds of arts. I hardly ever make art, but I enjoy exploring it.

I have always enjoyed visiting galleries as an adult, both locally and when travelling but have become increasingly interested in art as I’ve become older. I am interested in creative writing, and have dabbled in poetry, but an not a maker of visual art. My daughter is a developing visual artist and going to study visual art at University and her development has furthered my interest in art as an admirer and consumer of art. I like to view art, especially contemporary art and like to write reviews of exhibitions for an online site so would like to further my knowledge in art appreciation.

Hello, my name is Kathy :wave:

My exposure to art has been one art class in junior high school and many years of hobby photography. My paternal grandfather was an amateur photographer but he was about the only artsy one in the family. I’ve had a few tries at drawing with mediocre results. Painting didn’t fair any better. I picked up a camera at 19 and have been taking pictures since. I don’t have much experience with anything else.

1 Like

Hi my name is Miranda,

i Am an artist my self, I have done events where I have done live painting.
My experience comes from being the Art Director for a summer camp program for about 3years, which caused me todo a lot of research. I do indeed make art, I paint and I am a tattoo artist. My median is acrylics and canvases, also skin and ink. My painting style is Abstract, and erotic, my tattoo style varies upon mood, I’m Infatuated with hand poking, Geo, and New School tattooing. My audience is anyone over the age of 18, however I have done pictures for children.

We used to have a drawing period in junior classes and when i say drawing period i don’t mean a proper art teacher. It was just cartoons and that stock drawing every kid has drawn of a house with conical roof with a four paneled window, a bright morning sun peeking through the mountains, a meandering river near the mountains, and a road leading up to the house with a car in the drive way.
One of my brothers and a cousin who lived with us when we were children had a good hand in drawing. We used to have them draw diagrams for us but I haven’t seen them drawing anything since. As for me, I never got past doodling patterns and simple faces. I follow a lot of art pages and it certainly gives me a certain pleasure to see colours and lines spread across a canvas. I do like visiting art galleries whenever I could.

I love to paint pottery. It’s usually for our children or family.

When I first learned about the kind of art that I discovered I was in the fourth grade. However, I never really did much with it. But my best friend, who is a painter, brought some painting materials over to my house and that’s when I discovered that I loved art, which was only about over a year ago. I usually use mixed medias, like oil, watercolor, and acrylic paint, but sometimes I use oil pastels as well. All in all, my friend also introduced me to Bob Ross. What a fantastic inspiration - both my friend and Bob Ross! I even have a Bob Ross T-shirt now. He taught me that art is a form of expressing your feelings, and he is right. I have been busy going to college this year (I’m a pharmacy major), but I am hoping to go into an art class next semester.

visual art is something you can see, feel mentally and physically its something thats really touching to you and something that relates to you. art is something that can contain a story or have a whole book behind it. i take pictures of alot of things and thats a form of art because you capture the moment and make into something that means something to you.

In my case I’ve had a lot of exposure to visual art. Social media had played a big part in creating that for me. Social media tends to be a hub where everyone can share and express themselves through art. Creating a network for artist that can share their art for many other artists to see or for people that have no connection with art to come across by.

I started singing and dancing at a very young age. When i turned 8, my grandma taught me to crochet, knit and sew,to play the ukelele.
Then I started working on my cross stitch.
Then 5 years ago, I was sent by the sxchool to a one month seminar on art appreciation and that is where i took an interest in visual arts. Since then i had been doing pointillism and been teaching my students