Academy Home | Student Dashboard

ARTH101: Activities & Discussion

Activity: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges: Art Appreciation: “Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art”
Link: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges: Art Appreciation: “Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art” (HTML)
Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I had my exposure to visual art just recently inspired from an idol. He - Choi Seung Hyun (Top) is really talented & appreciate the beauty of art. I do hand-draw sometimes to express myself and as a hobby. I had several art classes during my childhood period however I didn’t continue after that. I really enjoy drawing during my spare time. As I still new to this area, I still don’t have any idea of making any art, but if I have the chance, I hope I could make the art where could touch people’s feelings. :grinning:

My first exposure to visual art was already early in my life. Although I do not come from an artistic family, I was already as a child interested and triggered by art; I went to museums at a young age and was fortunate to do so the rest of my life.

Q: What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations?

A: A lot of my friends in school were artists and when I was young, my mom was still an artist. She mostly did sculpture and a little painting. I was always in love with art and I entered every contest I could find, up til I got old enough that my very average talent caught up with me. So after high school, I did take art history courses rather than art classes.

Q: Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

A: I still sketch on occasion. I still like sculpture, although it’s been a while; I’d like to get back into it one day. I also adore photography and one day would like to take some photography classes. My subjects tend to be natural; I like landscapes, animals, and people to be my focus. I guess my target audience would really just be me and my friends and family. I haven’t got enough talent to do anything else with it.

Discussion Topic 2: Defining Art

Q: Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in the reading above? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?

A: Art is definitely an expression of our experience; it’s our feelings, our beliefs, our ideas formed into some sort of artistic representation. It is really hard to come up with a set-in-stone definition for art since how we view art, what we consider to be art, how art is created, is constantly changing. It is such a huge part of human culture. I’d definitely say that my perspective is subjective; I find it hard to look at art in any other way because it does evoke some sort of feeling or emotional response from me; I create art with feeling, so I look at art with feeling.

I mostly have been exposed to art through school, in art class and in field trips to art muesums. I’ve also been interested in art for a long time and draw on my own.
I used to do traditional art on paper, but now I do digital art. It’s mostly portraits of fantasy characters and whatever fictional person I come up with. I like designing fairies, aliens, etc.

Q. What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations?

A. My exposure to fine arts as a kid was very limited. Schools in India had a very limited role in explaining kids about Visual Art back then. Thankfully times are changing. Right from the very childhood I always found solace in creating art, back then it was limited to traditional pen and paper cartoons, anime characters or origami; now at 24, I have a masters degree in visual arts specializing in Sculpture. Although my family didn’t know much about Visual Arts when I was young, they are now always eager to learn and grow with me.

Q. Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

A. I am primarily a sculptor, indulging from time to time in charcoal sketches. My style is surrealistic mixed with expressionism. I try to do social commentary with my art most of the times but then sometimes I give up on that burden and produce works that are a result of just raw in the moment procedures. I do participate in exhibitions often, where a lot of professional artists and connoisseurs shun me off as immature, I have observed that my work connects well with non-artists and the general public.

Q. Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in the reading above? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?

A. “What to look for when we proclaim something as ‘art’ ?” is the question that most people in the art circuit today will fail to answer, or even if they do answer it would be heavily biased by their own opinion of art. This brings me to the question of subjective or objective perspective of art; What is an objective observation of art? looking at a painting for its canvas, frame, the thickness of color and then move on? Is that possible? Art is on both creation level and observation level needs to be loaded with feeling and emotions.

As an artist, I do not know the definition of art and I am not ashamed of it. I think the fun in exploring would end once I figure out what art is. And then my artworks would just become results of some formula that I have understood and that would be the death of me as an artist.

I have had exposure to visual art all my life. My mother is a writer, photographer, and she draws her own photos. I watched her do all of this growing up and still do. My mom is my inspiration for most things. I also, took art classes all through school. Including home make, where I sewed my own stuffed animals and such. I was also in the Latch Hooking club in my middle school. I enjoyed watching my latch hooking photos slowly become a whole picture.

Activity module - What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?
Anser : My experiences to exposure to visual art has been in secondary school studying Art. From my family my older brother use to draw portraits and paint beautifully but sadly its a wasted talent not pursued in later years. My experience with social activities are visiting a museum of Egyptian artifacts. My personal explorations are an ongoing of learning to draw and paint anything. I also have started a recent hobby in jewellery making

my name is Mohammad
it was wanderful coures

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Designing modules for learners
Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Business activity
Do you make art? If so, what kind? I like to make sketches.
What is the medium you use? pen and paper
What kind of style is it? modern, Jap anime-inspired
Who is your audience? Friends
If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind? NA

Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I had early exposure to art from my family yes. In the form of beginning to draw and paint. I began a career in the field of drafting at a very early age (14). I spent many years in that field, I also currently create art using graphite mainly. I have done some colored pencil work and dabbled in painting and found that graphite currently fits me best. I admire the cubist style and love Picasso’s work. I also have started to do portraits. My audience is currently anyone I speak to regarding what I do. I do speak to many and share with many also.

I was largely exposed to art through school. I loved to paint as a kid and recently took an introduction to color class at Indiana University where I got to work on some projects and buy some legitimate art supplies. Some friends and I thought it was pretty upscale to visit museums and art galleries after highschool and started going ironically but now we tend to look for something every time that we get together. I currently like to doodle with an ink pen, I show people at work but don’t have an intention to try to showcase it anytime soon.

Discussion Topic 1: Exposure to Art

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I have always loved and been fascinated by visual art. I took an art history class in college, but haven’t had much formal experience/training other than that. I currently dabble in digital art and have recently taken up painting (with watercolors) as a hobby. I especially love creating abstract art and tend to have a fascination with creating floral-related pieces.

Thanks for your kind words. I’m still learning and I hope to build a solid foundation in order to make meaningful works of art.

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?
My experiences with visual art start with a couple of my family memebers who have paitnings hanged up in thier homes and books from school when I was young on Art. As I got older I saw visual art in documentarys of art and have started drawing and painting from my Art Therapy course. The type of Art I draw and paint are botanical, abstract, expressionism

Who makes art? Do you think artists have innate ability or acquired skill (or both)? How do artist’s roles change with different cultural considerations? Support your answers with examples, and provide any links or images that help in your explanations
Everyone is an artist, has the ability to make and create art. I believe some people are naturally talented and others can improve through practise. Artists role changes due to societies evolving cultures that can influence individual artist in what they like to draw, paint, create that reflects social forms, values. This expression creates a dialogue in which we can connect to, understand and create new ideas that can bring about change. For exmple - The “We Can Do It!” poster from 1943 was re-appropriated as a symbol of the feminist movement in the 1980s
250px-We_Can_Do_It!

DT #1, Exposure to Art

I entered into the art world as a young and eager child. My love of creation was fostered by my parents and the many activities I participated in growing up. When I reached college, I pursued a degree in Art Education and Theatre Performance. Although I ended up with a heavy art minor instead of my intended degree, I feel like it shaped a lot of my college experience. While enrolled in classes, I explored many mediums. My junior thesis revolved around charcoal and chalk pastels, and my senior thesis was an attempt at bringing those drawings to a 3D medium (clay). I later pursued a certificate in Photojournalism, and have also picked up many “crafty” mediums as well, such as woodburning, knitting, origami, and printmaking.
Initially, my art was created for me. It was an attempt at expressing some unresolved issues in my psyche. I had issues following a specific medium because of this. My style always followed a familiar path, though, as I enjoyed exploring the definitions of the human form. I could never pinpoint the best way to display my fascination, however, and jumped from project to project. After failing to impress my college professors and failing my senior thesis, my art has taken a more lucrative approach, and I mainly create things which will sell easily. Unfortunately, this has cheapened my love for the trade, and I rarely make art for fun anymore.

I have been exposed to Art since I was a young kid. It was Native American art like pottery, painting, jewelry-making, and weaving. I have looked at art at a museum and want to really expand my horizon by taking this course. I have used pencil and paper as most people naturally begin but I still say that I am not as artistic.