Academy Home | Student Dashboard

ARTH101: Activities & Discussion

I tried to look for the poem New Life by Joseph Brodsky. I also thought I hear a audio version of it on Soundcloud. However the quote in the reference, I did not hear in the poem. Can somebody validte this?

My first exposure to art was during the elementary school. The teacher gave me and the other students some coloring worksheets. For math, we were given simple objects to color like flowers. The flower would be blank with arithmetic operations like “3+3” or “20 * 5” and I would have to color the flower correctly from a colors that represented the answers to the arithmetic operations. I would create beautiful designs with crayon. Coloring the outlines with maximum pressure and coloring the insides with minimum pressure usually created the best sheet.

That was my very first experience with art. The most influential art that I’ve been exposed to during my lifetime is fanart of video games. Video game companies like Hi-Res Studios and Nixxon would host a fan art competition with a theme like Valentine’s Day or Spring. The submissions of these competitions inspired me to start drawing my own art.

Here is a fan art of Medusa from the MOBA game Smite.

I guess I’ve always enjoyed art but never really took an interest in it. I was always of the mindset, ‘i know what I like and I know what I don’t like’. When I reached my early thirties there were a number of significant changes in my life that led me to ask questions about the world I found myself in. A huge influence was taking up acting. What started as a way to meet new people when I had moved to a new country quickly became a passion. It was the first time I can say I’ve been immersed in an art form and I wanted to understand it. I’ve begun to develop a deeper appreciation of art in various forms and I hope to further my understanding through this course.

My primary exposure to art was with my family. When I was very young, a baby even, my grandfather made a point to introduce as much beauty to me as possible. There are several pictures of him holding me up to smell the roses they had growing in their large garden. I can also recall him showing me how to hold up a magnifying glass to copies of original famous paintings from The Louvre, including artwork by Claude Monet, Vincent Van Gogh, and my favorite artist Henri de Toulouse Lautrec. I became familiar with the works other artists, such as Pablo Picasso and Georgia O’Keeffe. Later in life, I visited museums that were both local and distant. I’ve been to the Tacoma Art Museum and the Museum of Glass, as well as the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
Personally, the art I’ve explored the most happens to be writing poetry and/or creative writing. I’ve always excelled in previous writing classes and love to dissect any given poem, to uncover any underlying meaning or message an author might want to portray through his or her own words.

Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I teach my children, so I have exposed them to art. I have also gone to various museums to look at and enjoy art. I enjoy placing art with the time period. I’m not artistic any more, but when I was a child I used to love painting, drawing, and sculpting.

Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

My exposure to visual art has taken shape in a variety of forms. As an artist myself, I have invested much of my time studying the work of the old masters, visiting museums, and interning at fine art museums, giving tours to children and to various groups. This required a lot of studying the style and history of the musuem’s artwork, so such things aren’t entirely new to me. I mostly found my love and passion for art through personal outlet. I struggle with severe anxiety, and since I was very young it has served as that output resource that helps me clear my head when I’m stressed. I am a jack of all trades when it comes to art, but my preference lies in ink pen realism drawings, and occasionally charcoal/graphite illustration. I do not reach towards a particular audience with my art, since I view it as a personal expression rather than trying to intentionally send a message to others, but if I had to choose one, it would likely be those who like intricate fine details and photorealism.

Artwork 1 (2D) : https://www.moma.org/collection/works/273596?locale=en&page=2&with_images=true
Tomorrow Is Another Day’ by Mark Bradford (2016)
This mixed media composition on canvas is an arrangement of classic lines and circular geometrical shapes. It is rendered using hues of primary colors, Red, yellow and Blue.There is an implied texture strongly imbibed in the way the colors and lines intersect. The visual tension in the lower part of the frame is balanced with the more muted and less busy upper part.
This composition invokes the feeling of pain. The highly tensed intersecting straight lines and the negative spaces it creates almost reminds of a bleeding surface. I feel, The visual textures on the circular masses, are also suggestive of an intensity that could remind me of power, decay, pain altogether, in an overwhelming way.

Artwork 2 (3D): https://www.moma.org/collection/works/220443?locale=en&page=2&with_images=true
’Soul Bowl’ by Theaster Gates, 2016
This clay pottery/ sculpture is a food bowl. It is monolithic and monochromatic(black) in color and has a smooth visual texture. The extremely thin/ fragile rim strongly projects a circular contour with a line highly in tension and balancing the curved mass of the bowl beneath.

The idea of soulfulness becomes very evident, with the very deep black color and the subtle smooth uniform sweep of curve. The activity that the artist has done with this bowl (hosting soul food dinner) is also a social uplifting cause and does justice with his intention.