Academy Home | Student Dashboard

ARTH101: Activities & Discussion

What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from
your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations?

Although some family members are accomplished artists, that didn’t really help spark my interest as a child. As a younger person I took school art classes but wasn’t really inspired until I was introduced to architecture in a European history class at university. I went to Europe soon after and saw great architecture and lots of other art. I have traveled quite a bit and very much enjoy how art expresses culture. My current interest in art history stems from helping my kids with art history homework as well as lots of art museum tours that form part of a year of homeschooling.

Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?
I have very recently started to dabble in art. I do zentangle and collage following Megan Coyle’s style. I hope to add to this repertoire. The art is very much for me. It is relaxing and meditative as I do it, and it makes me happy to see the finished products.

Discussion Question #3 Unit 2

The Artistic Process. Who makes art? Do you think artists have innate ability or acquired skill (or both)? How do artist’s roles change with different cultural considerations? Support your answers with examples, and provide any links or images that help in your explanations.

Any human being is capable of making art, but in general people who make art are artists. Artists have an innate ability to create art, but it takes skill and practice to become a skilled artist. A genius can be a great artist but there needs to be something to feed that potential for greatness. Skill is not something that just happens. The raw talent and potential can be there, but if there is no practice, it will only just be potential. It’s like chemistry with potential and kinetic energy. Something with potential just sits there, capable of moving, but an outside force must make it move for it to become kinetic energy. It is the same concept in art. An outside force can be a peer, an art teacher, or something that helps a student see their true inner potential. Artist’s roles change in different outlets of culture. No two artists are alike. An artist who paints Impressionistic or “traditional” paintings will be different than someone who makes abstract art. However, they share an intimate bond with one another as they are both artists. An Impressionistic painting by Monet will have a certain message about naturalism. Yet an abstract work by Georgia O’Keefe might have a similar message about nature and its role in our society. Art is connected through all cultures and facets of thought. It is what connects people together, even if the art is from two entirely different cultures.
Examples via link:

Georgia O’Keefe “Sun Prairie” http://americanart.si.edu/collections/search/artwork/?id=34290

Claude Monet: http://totallyhistory.com/impression-sunrise/ “Impression, Sunrise”

Question #1 Expose yourself to art.
I have always been interested in beauty and color. I intuitively look for how space is filled, whether on a stage, a dance floor or on a canvas. I watch movement. I do not create visual art. I have been a professional actor for several years, but do not write, paint, sculpt or create any tangible art. I have visited lots of art museums in many cities. I am mostly attracted to paintings and textiles, less so in sculpture and ceramics. I see so much in art, but have never learned to interpret it or speak about it using a meaningful vocabulary. I know the emotions and the stories. Now, I want to know the techniques, the words, what the force is behind it all.

My interest in art emerged at an early age, but due to unforeseen situations, life guided my to pursue other career options. Only when I turned 50, which was 3 years ago, did I return to my artistic endeavours and started drawing regularly. Today, I am a so-called emerging and self-taught artist working mainly in graphite, charcoal and coloured pencils. I also enjoy digital art, as I am pretty computer savvy, and digital art allows me much more creativity.

I like the definition of art in the module: The conscious use of skill and creative imagination in production of an aesthetic object.

What is ART? There have been many definitions and opinions about it throughout the ages. Is it a thing? Is it a concept? What makes a painting, a sculpture, an installation a work of art? These questions do not have definite answers.
Here is my take on it. Art is the limitless power of imagination applied to a medium, such as a tangible object or an intangible concept, to create something that evokes in us humans an emotional response. This is my objective perspective where I am defining something extreemely hard to define. The way people perceive and understand art is very subjective. Simply put, some person’s discarded trash can be another person’s treasure.
Visual art is a language without words, a bridge between the artist’s consciousness and the viewer’s perception. Sometimes, the viewer does not understand from the first glance the intended concept behing the artwork. But if the work stimulates or challenges the viewer in any way, if it evokes an emotion of happiness, sorrow, like or even dislike, the viewer will be enticed to take a second look at it and will strive to find its deeper meaning. Mission accomplished.
I recently came across a quote by Richard Kamler, contemporary American artist and educator, and I believe it says it all:
“Art is our one true global language. It knows no nation, it favors no race, and it acknowledges no class. It speaks to our need to reveal, heal, and transform. It transcends our ordinary lives and lets us imagine what is possible.”

Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been
primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal
explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you
use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a
better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t
made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

ANSWER:
I have been a photographer since my late teens. I was inspired by Annie Leibovitz’ early work in Rolling Stone (this was in the late 1960s) and continue to be, as well by George Hurrell who did so much of the classic Hollywood portraiture of the 1930s-50s. I’ve never formally studied art before though, so I don’t know much about styles. I like art deco and it dates from the same time as Hurrell’s early work so that would probably be something I’d like to try. My photography has so far been more representational than typical Art Deco which is very stylized.

“Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art”

My exposure to visual art:
I have a BA in Fine Arts (graduated in 2002), so my exposure started in school, high school. My art teacher in 9th grade saw something in me and really encouraged to stick with it. Eventhough I didn’t start off as an art major when I went to college, a couple semesters in it just seemed like the logical this to do. Unfortunately, as we allknow a degree in the arts does not mean a profession in the arts. So needless to say I have not really worked in the field since graduating.

My Art:
In the spring of 2013 I rekindled my passion for creating, prior to that I was just creating art (more crafts) for lessons I taught in my bible classes or the ocassional portrait or painting request from a family or friend. In 2013 I was introduced to the world of Mixed media and art journaling, which has been a blessing in rediscovering my love for art.
I enjoy painting and sculpting, but my passion and first love is drawing with charcoals and pastel chalks, which is why I love mixed media I can put all those mediums together in one piece.
I am kind of relearning everything, from materials, to techniques, styles, and also art history. Which is my reason for taking this course. I feel like I’ve lost much of education, because of lack of use so I’m starting from point A.

I think the first exposure to visual art for me was my family. My mom loves to creative clothing and as a child she would make some of mine. I took art classes in elementary, middle and high school. I remember as a child I enjoyed coloring or anything that was artistic! I think that influence has always been apart of me because I tend to want to always doodle or draw. I currently do art right now and my favorite medium at this time is watercolors. I love simple lines and I love experiencing with color. I would say that my style is pop art with a mix of naturalistic but I also do abstract. My audience would be my generation mostly or 20s to 40s.

Thats great that you rekindled your passion for the arts! I love that you are taking classes its very inspiring. What kind of art journaling do you do?

Discussion Q1:
Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I have been exposed to visual art of many mediums throughout my life. My father used to make art and so from a young age gallery visits and museum trips both with my family and school were seen as essential. In the UK and living near London we had plenty of variety in the art that we could go and see. Personally I am not sure I would call myself an artist, however I do enjoy landscape and cityscape photography and I have been occasionally experimenting with infromal portraiture in the same medium. The only audience I intend is myself but often through social media friends and family with compliment my photos.

Discussion Q2:
Instructions: Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in module 1? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?.

I think that the definition in the reading is within art, but I think that it misses some aspects of art. It is, necissarily given the easiest forms to analyse at a distance, focused on tangible art, visual art and objects as art. As an archaeologist I fully appreciate the importance of the object; it is my stock in trade, however art can be auditory and olfactory not just tactile and visual.

In addition art is communication, it allows the transmission of ideas across other cultural boundaries such as language or ethnicity. Of course each person’s understanding of the piece will be different but the same can be said for written text and that is seen as one of the most pure methods of communication and is rarely, and I think wrongly, excluded from the realm of art.

3.4 Activity: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges: Art Appreciation: “Worksheet #5: Style, Form, and Context”
Link: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical College: Art Appreciation: “Worksheet #5: Style, Form, and Context” (HTML)

Instructions: Style really matters because each style in art is linked to different philosophical ideas about the world, humanity, the artist, and the meaning of imagery. Using the following links you will see a wide range of art from many cultures. Look for works that seem to you to exhibit the following ideas, and state why you think that work shows that idea. Include a link to the image that you are discussing.

A work of art that is a representation of a human but not a specific or recognizable person.
*Henry Rousseau"The Dream"

A work of art that is about a specific time or place.
*Gulf Of Marseilles Paul Cezanne *
A work of art that is an image of a god, ruler or king or queen.
*Athena marble statue made by Pheidias *
A work of art that is about the artist and their view of the world.
*Fabrizio Clerici “The Presences”
A work of art that is not a picture of things in the world.
*Hr Giger "Biomechanical Mia,Egyptian Style

Assignment # 4: Everyone’s a Critic! Pick one of the perspectives listed below. Using
the External Links at the bottom of the page as resources, select an artwork and
interpret its meaning in the context of one of the six critical perspectives we studied in
this unit. Work together to uncover the meaning in the image you choose, then explain
how your particular critical perspective supports your interpretation.
1: Structural
For structural artworks I chose “The Runner" in Athens,Greece ,an artwork made with glass,and John Hancock Center in Chicago Illinois, because structural artworks are not only statues or other mixed media techniques,but also structural engineering considered to be contained into that movement or a way to approach that kind of art.

2: Feminist
For Artists involved in the Feminist Art Movement I picked up two artworks.**The Dinner Party"“by Judy Chicago and a painting by Frida Kahlo

3: Ideological
According to the ancient Greek Historian Thoukidides, the word modern who derives from the latin word “Modo”(at this time),means also revolutionary in the Artworld.So I am going to connect the term Ideology with the movement Dadaism,and with the readymady artwork by Marchel Duchamp" “*Fountain” a glazed ceramic with a black paint.
4: Deconstructive
Deconstructive artworks are amazing especially those with the famous folding paper technique called origami a japanese word for folding the paper into a 3D artwork.Here is the origami I chose
It looks like an another way to create August Rodin’s” thinker”.:slight_smile:
5: Formalist
The Artist I like best to interpret his Formalist Artwork is Man Ray
What is Formalism?Color,Line,texture into a composition.Regarding the Plato’s theories of forms"ideas" they do exist in an abstract state but indepedent of minds in their own realms.

6: Psychoanalytic
For this last part of this activity I have to admit that Vincent Van Gogh is the artist that everyone would chose to connect his genius,the different insight he shows through his art than other artists,to connect him with the deeper states of mind or the abyss if you prefer.
Α painter looking timid and sometimes humble,finally won the award of immortality,in so high degree that most people today including those not related with art,simply knowing his name or a characteristic and famous painting like Starry Night.Here is one of his selfportrait.

Discussion Q2:
Instructions: Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in module 1? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?.

I do agree with the definition of what art that is in the reading but I also feel there is more to what art is but it is hard to discrible with words. I feel like its a life style and it is part of our lives as humans that helps us understand who we are, as a whole and as an individual.

“Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art”

What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I have been drawing since my childhood, and as a result it became my profession. I cannot say that it comes from my family, but the biggest impact of my family was their huge support on my profession choice. It all started from a 3 years old child and continued at school. For know, it is already one personal exhibition in Baku, different illustrations, especially fashion illustrations for editorials and different projects.
Mainly i do fashion illustrations and graphic art. Medium that i use - usually different pens, markers, watercolor. Mostly it depends on the work that i do.
Regarding the audience - i think mostly it is people more related to fashion, art lovers, digital art lovers.

Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

Both of my parents and much of my extended family are artists; dad is a fine art photographer, mom is a textile designer, my grandparents met at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, etc. In addition, many of my close friends are artists. I sometimes draw using soft lead pencils in a hyper-realistic style or paint still lives in water color.

Here is my Module 3 Quiz for ARTH101, any help or correction would be appreciated.I have already three false answers.

Marks 5.4/6
Grade 9 out of a maximum of 10 (90%)
Quiz Section Summary
77% 5.4 of 7 correct in Select the BEST term from the list and match it to each numbered definition.
Question 1
Marks: 1
Select the BEST definition for each of the following terms.
Negative Correct
Contrast Correct
Shape Correct
Value Correct
Line Correct
Correct
Marks for this submission: 1/1.
Question 2
Space Correct
Complimentary Correct
Analogous Correct
Color Correct
Texture Correct
Correct
Question 3
Figure/ground relationship Correct
Point Correct
Positive Incorrect
Implied Incorrect
Expressive Incorrect
Partially correct
Marks for this submission: 0.4/1.
Question 4
Plane Correct
Form Correct
Spectrum Correct
Secondary Correct
Additive Correct
Correct
Question 5
Perspective Correct
Monochrome Correct
Split compliment Correct
Triadic Correct
Equiluminance Correct
Correct
Question 6
Subtractive Correct
Primary Correct
Cool Correct
Saturation Correct
Warm Correct
Correct
Question 7
Study the ‘Vishnu Mandala’ painting from Tibet below. Describe how the artistic elements are integrated into the work. Be sure to reference all the elements in your answer.

Terms of Use: This material is in the public domain.

Answer:

The elements that most dominate this two dimensional and symmetrical artwork are the two large squares,the larger is the actual size of a replica made by cotton and then painted,while the second integrated with two circles.The first represents on the center Vishnu and the second short-range circle other deities(saktis,Satvatasamhita).
Warm colors synthesizing most of the part of this work and the contrast is white inside the first circle,and blue(cool color) in the part of four edges inside the small square to make contrast with the other part.We can see also black and brown lines to create the shape of the square and for framework.

Between the two squares it is obvious that other people are represented probably religious or guardians because they are outside of that " spiritual universe" or sacred Hierarchy we usually meet in Tibetan Buddhism and Hinduism, and inside the two circles which is the subject of the Mandala(the wheel) that symbolizes the mental state, the changing of consciousness and for some psychologists like Jung, the whole personality.
Other researchers or critics can see also a zodiac circle which symbolizes something that comes to an end or a new restart.A Mandala had been used also as a prayer tool for centuries.

ARTH101 - 1.1. (second part)
I agree with the definition of art given in module 1. However, I prefer to think of art as an experience that transcends the person (or people) who created it to reach a universal dimension.
On the other hand, there’s no art without a public who activate it.

Title: OFF GROUND
Year: 2011
Artist: Stephen Gill

Medium: Photograph.

Description. It is a realistic fine art work, depicting a stone in black and white. I consider it mainly plays a portrait role, talking about the Hackney riots through this object the artist picked up in the aftermath of the event.