ARTH101: Activities & Discussion

TOTEM POLE
Fine art, abstract.

GIOTTO CRUCIFIX
Fine art, naturalistic.

MINOAN SNAKE GODDESS
Fine art, naturalistic.

The three pieces of art depict an anthropomorphic figure with open arms, but the meaning of each one of them is quite different.

Even though a totem pole is not a religious object, through its carvings it communicates important aspects of native culture: beliefs that recount familiar legends, clan lineages, or notable events. It may also serve as a functional architectural feature.

The crucifix is a principal symbol for many groups of Christians, and one of the most common forms of the Crucifixion in the arts. It is especially important in the Catholic Church.

Minoan Snake Goddess is a kind of figurines found only in house sanctuaries, where they appear as “the goddess of the household”. Even though it’s not sure, they are probably related with the Palaeolithic tradition regarding women and domesticity.

The artist makes art, as the baker makes bread. The issue would be: “who’s the artist?”.
I think anyone making anything creative is an author. Now, the author becomes an artist when his or her work is recognised by the public as art.

I have been exposed to visual art in different kinds of settings. Growing up, we had a few replicas of famous paintings at home and I also enjoyed visiting museums. As an adult, I’ve visited some museums, including the Louvre, and have also attended some art exhibits to support local artists.

Even though I love drawing, art has never been a serious endeavor for me. Lack of time due to other academic pursuits, and then the birth of my son, have stopped me from making art, even if it was only for my personal viewing.

Exposure to Art.
What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I have been exposed to visual art since I was a child first from my family and school and then through personal explorations. I have lived in many interesting places and right now I am in Barcelona, Spain where I joined a cultural group which allows me to visit all expositions, museums and interesting places in town and also around. As a child I loved to paint and I am now thinking of taking some sculpture classes…

Q: What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

A: I have been exposed to visual art from a very young age. My mother is an artist and both my parents continue to support the arts in their community and advocate for the arts and education. I attended magnet schools in both Junior High and High School that emphasized the arts. I have made it a point to patronize the local museums and galleries in the areas I have lived and traveled to.

I do some amateur (very amateur) photography. My audience is whoever wants to look at it. :smiley:

When it comes to creation of art, I have always been kind of “crafty” and I do like to make things for home decor. Maybe in the future, I will look into taking some art classes, but for now, I just want to increase my knowledge of visual art and style to extend my enjoyment of the arts.

Discussion Topic 4

My exposure to art has not happened formally or with that specific intent. I enjoy art in many of its forms though I tend to be drawn more to art that portrays its subjects at least somewhat realistically. I’m hoping this class broadens my understanding and appreciation for more abstract examples. I have been to many museums where a variety of art forms have been exhibited. I can draw a little but have not pursued drawing classes. Maybe that too will change.

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I think most people’s first exposure to visual art happened in their kindergardens or primary schools, so did I. In art class, I was taught to freely drew everything occurred to my mind which later made me understand free expression was of great importance in art. I enjoy pencil drawing and photographing during spare time. They give me not only the sense of accomplishment in creating beauty (though I am a total amateur) but also help me with developing patience. I am especially fond of taking black-and-white photos, some of which have received my friends‘ praise.

Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in the reading above? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?

I agree that art relates to every aspect of culture and is a way for artists to express how they perceive the world. Their understandings in art, beauty and any other relevant perceptions vary with different backgrounds and life experiences. It’s hard to precisely definite ART in one sentence. From my perspective, the key word for art is unique. It means that whatever one wants to show, he/she must use a special, unprecedented approach to prove his/her creativity, something breaking the regular rules in human sociaty and previous works. Of course, we should add one more element to art to separate it from inventions, and that is aesthetic. My discussion and concludes come from daily observations and maybe not so correct.

From my perspective, in ur Duchamp’s example, “creative” means the way he expresses his idea. :slight_smile:

Activity: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges: Art Appreciation: “Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art”
Link: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges: Art Appreciation: “Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art” (HTML)

Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?
I was first exposed to art via PBS programing, Bob Ross, elementary school. I fell in love with photography as a child and that has played a large role in my life. I took commercial photography classes in my spare time. I am currently a member of my community’s art club…
I love to play and make art via photography, mixed media, recycled/found object. My style of photography has been primarily commercial based. However, I do enjoy creating interesting digital art pieces. My mixed media & recycled/art style is very emotional driven; somewhat tongue in cheek humour or advocacy based. My audience base has been varied from advertising/communication purposees to family home decor demographic.

My exposure to visual art has been active since as long as I can remember. My dad loved drawing and I took various classes when I was a child. That’s not all though; I have also loved drawing for a long time. I also watch anime which I think has a lot to do with it’s art. I took a painting class a couple of years ago. Although it wasn’t my favorite I still enjoyed it, as I do with anything that has to do with art. I find it hard to choose a favorite medium. At the moment though, I enjoy using pen/ink or oil pastels, but pencil is always my first go-to medium. Pencil is easy and simple, but can do so many different things. I enjoy how permanent and crisp pen and ink makes art seem. Oil pastels give me a certain vibe that is hard to explain. It can make things look so real but also very surreal. At the moment i’m really into Japanese art and many types of vintage art. My audience could honestly be at all ages; mostly people interested in Japanese culture or anything visually stimulating.

What has been your prior exposure to visual art?
In school I hated art because I considered myself a serious student. As an adult I love art and art museums, because I feel it is a way for me to connect with other humans. I have fallen in love with japanese ink painting.

Has it been primarily from your family?
I was raised by a single father who hates art. My mother, on the other hand, also loves art. She comes from a family of artists and architects. I wonder if there is a genetic connection here.

Do you make art? If so, what kind?
I have always loved Chinese and Japanese ink painting, and three years ago I found a teacher in tokyo who is absolutely wonderful. He has helped me create works I feel express my true heart.

Hello. I live in London , England.
My first exposure to art was through children’s story books. Beatrix Potter being a favourite. I also loved the illustrations in Winnie the Pooh and Alice in Wonderland… Later I became fascinated with the art in the galleries and how some of them could move me with a range of emptions.
I make what I class as utilitarian art. I knit complex patterns in fine lace work or with cable. I enjoy wearing such work and I find it aesthetically pleasing.

My family were not artistic but I have encouraged my children to be creative, One took a degree in illustration and another creates anime art for a living.

1. What has been your exposure to visual art?
    I have been my exposure to visual art when I was six years old, in my first art class but my art teacher gave me very low marks in all my art works. Therefore, I hated to do anything about the painting or any hand craft works.
  2. Has it been primarily from personal experience?
    Since my art teacher gave me the lower marks in the examination. I didn’t think that I had the art talent and in my family no one is the artisit also my parents couldn’t afford me to take the private art course.
    Now, I am artist. Why? It is because many years ago, I moved to France with my family. We live in Paris then i have spent a lot of spare time to go around the museums and to visit a lot of international exhibitions, to explore this wonderful city and her history. I started to learn french for some time after a while I decided to pratice my french in the local painting class with my classmates and my professors.
    Dramatically, my art professors told me that I had a such talent to do my painting works and to have individual style to express the art in different colors and outstanding compositions. They made my life up-side down because they opened my mind and openedmy eyes to see the beautiful art world. So from now on I am continuting to join the art business.
  3. Do you make art?
    Yes, I make art. That is also the reason for joining this course. I love to learn how to appreciate the art in different perspective. That would help me to improve my technique in painting and to communicate with the international artisists in the future, to build the instant inspiration in mind and to share our internal feeling (sad, happy or hope), to express the emotion freely. For example, I can express my pain, disapponted, happiess or hope to heal my self in the way of meditation. I have maked e.g. drawing, oil paints , poster, book marks, bookds,teaching materials, certificates, cards or birthday presents…
  4. What is the medium you use?
    I use the acrylic, watercolor, oil, gouche, caryon, colour caryon, pastels, ink pen and pencil. From different material to present different images for different purposes to optimse the objective of the art. That is what the subjective and objective combination.
  5. What is the style?
    I make the painting or forms depend on what is the expression of the feeling with the audiances. So, the naturalistic-portrait, abstract-strong color and disortion compostion. or non-objective means imagination composition. Of course that is included my cultural styles. Western and Eastern culture. The vast motif would come from my past experience too. The portrait, landscape and science object also my combinations to express in my art works too.
  6. Who is your audiance?
    My family, friends, my students, professors, classmates social public, e.g.PEOPLE

Thanks for your sharing different artists and explained the reason why you like that particular art work let me understand the perspective of the art. And happy to see that you are really put such effort to appreciate the arts from different source and let me recapture the moment of art which is always surrounding us but we don’t pay any attention. I am really enjoy the run glass staus that is so extratorary to change the glass as a run man and full of energy.

Good work, continue to share your wonderful experience.

Emily1

Thank you Emily I’m glad you liked it,it is very attractive statue,a work of Costas Varotsos.In the beginning it was placed in the center of Athens in Omonoia square,but the openings for metro constructions, was one of the most major reasons to transfer it in another area next to the hotel Hilton.The statue is 3meters which is equal to 10feet.
If you are familiarized with Google Maps and open streetview you can detect how it belongs and fits with the surrounding here https://www.google.gr/maps/@37.976352,23.74932,3a,75y,28.15h,87.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBdQZdIwOebVYJk9exoLjVg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Who makes art? Do you think artists have innate ability or acquired skill (or both)? How do artist’s roles change with different cultural considerations? Support your answers with examples, and provide any links or images that help in your explanations.

Everyone can make art. People with talents/creative ideas or skills make wonderful art. Artists are a group of people who wholeheartedly absorb themselves in art creating. As far as I’m concerned, some of them do have innate ability or acquired skill or both. For instance, sometimes we may hear of a child at the age of 6 to 12 being talented in drawing without formal education. Through hundreds and thousands of trials and practice, drawers may summarize their experience so as to obtain their own special skill in exhibiting light, emotion and the like. But it is not required for anyone who wants to a artist to have innate ability or to learn skill at the very beginning, for art, frankly speaking, is a way to express your fantastic ideas/concepts about life, world, people.

I find ancient art and the ancient techniques vary from style of the Romans and the art from Troy to be fascinating to say the least…everything was perfect…can’t wait to start the course… and not to mention how paintings have evolved throught out the ages from Greek frescoes to Michaelangelo. :heart_eyes:

My previous exposure to art…I recently found a silver dime that was made before 1940 and looking at the front of the dime was a picture of a man wearing a Roman style helmet and it made me realize that all old coins were in art form.