Academy Home | Student Dashboard

ARTH101: Activities & Discussion

I have only been exposed to art in passing. I have always enjoyed it but never taken a course in it or learned about it carefully. I have never made art, except in elementary school. I am not interested in making art, but I am more interested in appreciating art and learning art history.

Unit 1: Definitions, Artistic Roles, and Visual Thinking’
Introductions and Definitions
-Exposure To Art-

Activity:
What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

Response:
I’d like to think that i was exposed to art from as early as being conceived and in many different forms. Primarily my family structure and my personal endeavors has provided me with the most art exposure. I consider to myself to be an artist , I’m a creative writer , drawer , singer , and dancer.I go for more of an alternative style and outlook with everything that I do , so it affects my artistic style greatly. I try my best to connect with my audience with the story behind my work or with the entirety of the project itself from a production aspect.

Truly the first time I was expose to visual art was at the age of nine. I was practicing this song to perform for my Dad I loved performing for Him.The song was playing on Itunes and Itunes has this feature called
" Visualizer" and it shows these amazing designs in an array of colors that move along to the rhythm of the song I was completely memorized by this visual art. Since then I’ve taken up photography as my visual art.

Question:
What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

Answer:
I’ve been to museums and art exhibits as well as submitted in an art show. Mostly, my exposure has been high school and every art centered class that I could possibly take. I, myself, Like to draw, paint and throw. I would say my audience is anyone who has any desire to see what a person can make.

I think art is the creation that comes from a humans inner vision and expressions, emotions and soul. Its simply a unique result from something that can be compared within the metapsysics! :seedling:

Topic 1: Exposure to Art
Most public places utilize visual art and ever since I could color I was exposed to art. During elementary school, arts and crafts are a big part of the curriculum. Now however, I believe drawing and painting is one of the best stress reliefs. I usually just do it to get my mind off other things so I wouldn’t say I have developed a certain style.

I’ve been exposed to mostly visual art like paintings, but art has never really been something I could fully get into. I took art classes growing up and while they were fun, I just couldn’t get into art.

In my opinion, art is very limited because most of the artists are following the traditional art exposure of the past (museums,galleries, cultural centers). Even a well-known artist will earn a few thousands to see himself in a newspaper or magazine because he created a prototype project that took place throughout an exhibition in his town or state. Most of the installations, paintings, or sculpture, have been made with a different shape or material, but the idea still remains the same, as it’s very common for artists to follow an artistic “wave” or a movement in order to be accepted from the public to sell his/her creations. The personality also lacks of personal knowledge, ideas, as most of the artworld is driven by incorrect political and scientific ideas taken from media, books, institutions, which serve more likely for propaganda purposes.
.There are many other ways for an artist to show his work, such as with an exhibition in the company that he’s working for. An artifact that is relevant with the workplace can promote the artist onto his company, and two jobs will support each other.- artists usually haven’t enough money, and being rich doesn’t mean that he will have success. Exhibiting in a company that has a partial fine art interest, will make the artist innovative and reputable in the company and can get hired in a better position. Partially affiliated, because if the company occupies only arts, then the positions will be chosen by others via advertisements.
My point is, why someone has to be famous when the possibilities of getting rich are 0,0001%? Is it necessary to pay thousands for an exhibition only because the artist wants to communicate? And why not exhibiting in a cafeteria! At any rate, everyone today has became an artist because of the political propaganda and fashion. And who is the first artist that people will communicate between million of artists or vice versa? Is it worth it? And if he communicates what is the next scope. Why you don’t write a book and write also your fantasies! This is a good communication as well.

Regarding the discussion of what is art, is much more than we see. It starts like a prayer or a meditation if you will, but a prayer without a mudra, no words. The mind stops working, the reality that you see every day brakes in pieces like a puzzle. The lights are closing and you see only the light that helped you to delve in through the artistic process. Then the mind feels ecstacy and needs no exhibitions and no fame. ART is to break the ‘reality’ that you observe and see how it looks likes to the newborn. Art is a spiritual path to avoid the ‘blind checks’ of the instinct ( eosforos-lucifer ), in order to be accepted in the eternal mysteries. If the artist fails within the path, then can be only an artist who sells and the artist who sells is blind and cannot have the chance to see the light again! Therefore, there is a level that the artist has to take the big decision- to leave this world behind! This calling occurs to every artist, but only a handful of them accepting the invitation.

As a kid, I loved my illustrated story books to bits. Growing up, I find pure enjoyment from coloring books and have always been in awe with colors. I did some drawing and painting back then but never really developed my style. I have just started to get back into the arts scene again after being a engineer for a decade and am currently freelancing as a graphic designer. I’m looking forward to getting back into drawing and painting with the arrival of my newly purchased water brush pen.

Well, my exposure to visual art is that I danced from the age of 5 years old right up until I was 20 years old, so ballet was part of my younger years therefore I was introduced to classical music at a very young age. I’ve always been quite musical and find all types of music quite therapeutic; elevating the mood that you are in. Once I hit high school, Art class was one of my favorite subjects using all types of mediums: pencil, clay, paint. Through living and travel in Europe, it exposed me to classical art and made me want to develop skills to further understand it more. Right now, I am doing a bit of sketching, drawing and writing and would like to possibly get into watercolors. I think that I wouldn’t mind doing more painting.

ARTH101 - Exposure to Art

I was exposed to art in middle and high school. It was quite limited but I have always been fascinated by the arts. I did not do much about improving my understanding of art after high school which has been many years now. I think I will relish this experience of educating myself. I did a bit of watercolor painting in high school and I did some writing after college.

Hi Kiona, it seems we are beginning this course at about the same time. It will be nice to connect with a classmate.

I love flowers… i’m drawn to natural disasters and the solution awareness. I’ve yet to establish consistency in how to deliver the artwork in accomplished and chosen mediums… still exploring my true gift in the art community. How will i know??

Hi Tessy. Welcome. It is always nice to hear and connect with someone who is learning about the art world.

Activity: Discussion Topic 1: Exposure to Art
Instructions: What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

Response: My prior exposure to visual art has been primarily from school (through classes and field trips to the art museum) and online. I would not consider myself an artist, but do make art in the sense that my career is modeling and I create media for companies, editorials, fashion shows, etc. My audience would be consumers.

Its wonderful to have a parent who creates art! How could you not be brought up with a better understanding of the process than most? I love how you had that chance!

I have always been involved in art. The usual kid stuff; coloring, drawing and sculpting (my mom kept a turtle I made at age 3 and embarrassed me with it for decades) moved on to being the artist kid for all group projects in primary and middle school, and I took art classes in high school and decided to take an art minor in college. Since then I have continued, on and off painting, usually acrylic or watercolor. I also recognize poetry, song, dance and stage as art forms and have always been a writer/poet, ballroom dancer and have acted on state a few times. I consider art to be subjective, and, to me, can include sewing, quilting, quilling, card making, photography (of which I am very active), cooking and baking and the amazing decorating of cakes, and floral design. I have tried most of these and will hopefully continue to explore new areas of artistic development.

My art exposure came from both school and family starting at a young age. I took some form of art throughout elementary, middle, high school, and even college. Growing up, every year my family would attend a “craft” show where I was exposed to all kinds artwork. I’ve taken classes in ceramics, drawing, printmaking, and received a technical certificate in Graphic Design. I used to paint (acrylic and watercolor) and draw. Lately, I have been trying to pick it back up. My primary audience was myself. I am highly critical of myself and did not want to show others what I considered flawed.

I was very fortunate to have an art museum on the campus of my college that was very near to several of my classes. I absolutely loved taking a break from classes and exploring whatever exhibit was going at the time. Now that I am older I have a young daughter who has been very artistic since she was very small so I have in the course of keeping her supplied with a wide variety of supplies and ideas have started to do crafting. I have created holiday decorations for my home as well as taken old & found items to create into home decor. So while not what I would consider traditional art it’s been a way to express myself creatively.

Well, I learned a lot about art in school. I have learned a lot of work regarding art from school, online tutorials and other art blogs. I sketch a lot for which I use charcoal and different shades of grey and sometimes colors too for sketching. The style is not something particular. I sketch the things or pictures that I like. It depends on the mood I’m in. I had done art and craft work, collage work, formic work, cut and paste work, different kinds of paintings including glass painting, fabric painting, watercolor painting. I didn’t have any particular audience, the audience that i had was my family and friends none other than.