Academy Home | Student Dashboard

ARTH101: Activities & Discussion

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I had exposure to art in both elementary school and middle school. However, I never considered myself to be an artsy person until later in life. I gravitated to art, specifically watercolors, due to a prolonged period of stressful life events. I found that the application, the trial and error is the reason I find the hobby so fulfilling for myself. I am self-taught, however am interesting in pursuing art classes at some point in my future.

As for my art style, I feel its still developing while my subject matter alternates depending on my interests. I enjoy whimsical illustrations (think turn of the century children’s folk tales) as well a human anatomy but I do not limit myself. A major part of the fun is new subject matter.

Aside from my own hobby, I also run a social media account that showcases a wide selection of art styles.

I’m really looking forward to this class and broadening my understanding of art!

As a teenager I often visited local the local city art galleries which a fine collection of Pre Raphaelite and Turner paintings. Years later I attend night school and I find the stimulus of the group encouraging. I enjoy using mixed media. I like different textures. My audience is friends and family and the local charitable gallery where I help out.

Hello all!! This is my first Saylor class. I love online learning and took a lot of online classes in college. On to the questions at hand!
I come from a family who is very creative. My mom is a quilter, my dad ties flies for fishing, which is an art unto its own. Mom mom has dabbled in different art things, like coloring, scrapbooking and she is most artistic in her quilting.
I’ve always been drawn to art. I love looking at art, I’ve always been envious of artists and wanted to be one. I loved my art experiences in school. I took a ceramics class in high school and fell in love.
I am a middle school reading and English teacher and loved my art education class in college. Last year my school asked me to teach a high school art class as an adjunct. I said “Sure” and started my own personal art journey. I learned so much in my first few weeks of teaching an art class. I learned from youtube artists such as “The Art Sherpa” to learn some different art techniques and found many lessons to teach on pinterest. I was learning along with my students.I signed up for my first Fine Art courses in the spring of 2016.
I have finally found my inner artist, which makes me so happy. I never thought I would be creative enough to be an artist! I love to paint, and am learning to draw. I love painting. It is my peaceful place and has taught me so much about myself. My favorite drawing medium so far is chalk pastels. I had so much fun with that in my Fundamentals of Drawing art class.My favorite medium to paint with is oils, I have enjoyed working with acrylic, and I enjoy watercolor because it is so fun to just let the paint and water mix and do its thing. I love to paint landscapes. I consider myself a beginner artist and am wanting to learn more. My goal is to get my masters in Art Education from Maryland Institute College of Art. I’d love to be able to teach art at the collegiate level one day.
For now, my audience is me, my family, and my students. I hope to expand my audience to be locals in my community, and anyone who will look at them.

Hi Tiffany, my name is Shia! Welcome to Saylor.
I too, :heart: online learning and for someone who’s never been to a physical college before, i’ll say i’m learning so much here. I love how you said that you’re mother is “most artistic in quilting”. I am a lot like her in that I’ve done many forms of aethetic arts- jewelry, painting, sculpturing, scrapbooking, and shrinky dinks (one of the coolest things to do as a person who draws), as well as writing, poems and :notes:. The problem for and the reason i’ve joined Saylor is because i’m searching for what you discovered at your Fine Arts course- your artist voice!
It seems to be a struggle trying to express myself with one of these when i don’t know how to recognize which one i’m meant to do. So far, i’ve recently picked up knitting and really enjoy it, crochet too. And just this past day or two as i’m crocheting an adult size :sparkles: blanket i felt the urge to adlib some beautiful :tulip::blossom::sunflower:as if i am :art: a picture (Saylor’s influence of course.); would this be me finding my voice and that crocheting and knitting is my medium??
Please forgive my curiosity and inquiry so soon, i know you’ve just begun, but your post left an impression on me. I have to Thank you for that. Thank you for reading and i :eyes: forward to hearing from you.

Since, both of my parents are creative, I have always dabbled a bit in what they do. I have tried quilting, not my style; I tried scrapbooking, but everything went digital and it just didn’t fit in my life much anymore. I love to make those photo books online that you put all of your pictures in and they publish it like a real book!! I tried some art in high school and recently found my favorite mediums to be painting and charcoal/pastels. I think finding something you could call “your medium” is a journey and you just have to keep trying things until it touches your soul and becomes yours.
I too, love to crochet!!! I don’t make enough time for it though, I am currently making a sweater for my tiny dog. I tried knitting but found it too complicated for me, but I have been considering revisiting it.
I think you can absolutely express yourself through yarn work. In my opinion, yes, it is an artform, and yes, you could consider it your medium, and, yes,you are finding your voice!! You should check out this awesome website www.crochetcrowd.com the guy (so cool) has tons and tons of video crochet tutorials for any project you could imagine. He does yarn bombing and makes these amazing yarn covered statues and structures to show off at craft shows. The facebook presence is wonderful too. You get to meet all sorts of people who feel the same way about crochet and knitting. It’s really neat.
Something I am learning is, your own personal “style” or “voice” comes with a lot of practice and learning new techniques. In my painting life, I find it very hard to come up with a design of my own. I follow along with tutorials to learn new techniques, and in my art classes, my instructor would set up scenes for us to paint and draw. I think my voice will come in time, and I keep reminding myself it is ok to not completely know my own voice or style just yet as I am learning and experimenting.
If you are really interested in learning your style and learning more about art, then I would suggest finding a community college or university near you and take a live art class. It is so different from online learning (which is wonderful) as you learn from the feedback of your instructor and your peers. You learn from you peers as much as you do your teacher, and the whole goal is to learn more. My professor was not critical in a bad way (he did teach us how to look at art in more of a objective way vs. subjective and would model this to us as we worked.) One class could completely change your life like it has mine!
Thanks for the feedback! I love that it made an impact on you! That touched my heart and makes me happy! Happy Creating! Talk to you soon.

Thank You for the reference and words of wisdom, Tiffany! :slight_smile:There are several Art Journaling channels on Youtube i watch when i’m knitting or crocheting- how funny. Is this what you make? ART JOURNALING https://youtu.be/Add to dictionary

My prior exposure to art was through visits to art galleries in the places I have lived. I have just started to teach myself to paint and draw. I don’t think I have a style as yet but I have enjoyed attempting an abstract acrylic painting. My audience at this time is family and friends.

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations?

As a child I was deeply moved by photographic imagery of World War II. This spawned a lifelong interest in the visual and visuality. However, my exposure to art is primarily academic. I took art appreciation as an undergraduate. But the study of visual images has been an ongoing investigation in my personal and professional life. Both in my graduate education and as a teacher, I delve into the cultural and historical impact of visual media imagery.

Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience?

I don’t make art (other than adult coloring books), but I wish I could!

If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I always wanted to be a photographer and I dabble in some very amateur work.

Very little exposure to the arts. I’m attempting to complete the first activity. I’m not sure if this if the forum to do so, but this is where the link takes me.

Please advise.

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

My prior exposure to visual art has primarily been in school, no it has not primarily been from my family, it was school and sometimes social activities. Yes, I make art, it is visual and musical art? When creating visual, I use pencil and sometimes crayon mediums, it is in the style of realism, My audience is the general public.

My prior exposure to visual art has primarily been in school, no it has not primarily been from my family, it was school and sometimes social activities. Yes, I make art, it is visual and musical art? When creating visual, I use pencil and sometimes crayon mediums, it is in the style of realism, My audience is the general public.

Topic 1: Exposure to Art
My prior exposure to art would be from school and exploration. Schools has helped me developed my cartoony yet unique artistic style. Also do make art myself such as photography, drawing, digital imagery, written (poetry) and occassionally paintings. Audience is to whomever enjoys viewing my artworks whether posting online or showing to people offline.

Topic 2: Defining Art
Definitely agree because art can tend to be very complex to define its actual meaning and understanding its history. When we develop art it shows human expression of how we feel or felt. Beauty within our souls can be found as artistic values. Visual art also can be added to anyone’s intellectual experience as an artist. My definition of art is coming from an subjective perspective.

Visiting museums as a child as well as watching artistic tv shows such as Bob Ross’ series were probably my first exposure to visual art. I also have two older siblings and I loved looking through art projects they’d bring home from school. My dad and brother fostered a love of history in me and I feel art goes hand in hand with that, analysing paintings of powerful historical figures such as Elizabeth I was often covered in my history classes. I was always enthusiastic about art classes, I used to draw constantly and loved making illustrations and story boards. At age 7 we recreated Sunflowers by Vincent Van Gogh and I loved it, I’ve admired his works ever since then. I prefer sketching with just a regular pencil and paper in the art I do now, but I have always admired people who can work with paints. I have no specific style and I admire pretty much all art styles for their different aspects so it is difficult to pick a favourite. I do have a great appreciation for art from eastern asia and would love to be able to create in that style. My audience till now has been my teachers and my peers but at this point it I am my own audience, which will occasionally widen to include my friends and family.

I have a visual arts course in 1978. However, I did not think that I had the ability. In 2011 I started to teach myself drawing. Hopefully, I will stick with it.

My prior exposure to visual art would be from personal explorations, mainly on the internet. High school introduced me to more art, from my peers, allowing me to recognize more art in my environment and outside of a computer screen. I’ve made art, and I am constantly experimenting with it. I like incorporating math and measurements into it and prefer using markers and pens. My audience is myself.

Discussion Topic 1: So, I’ve had a fair amount of exposure to various types of art. For several years, my wife and I had a family membership to the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco. During that time, we visited several amazing exhibits with a broad range of artists and techniques. I also took an art class at a local community college where we worked in many different media from charcoal and graphite to watercolor and oil. I really enjoyed it but, unfortunately, my hand doesn’t like to do what my eye thinks it should. A lot of my own pieces lacked aesthetic appeal, to put it kindly. :blush:

That must have been a really fun activity, reproducing “Sunflowers” as a 7 year old!

**_

• What has been your prior exposure to Visual Art and what was the primary source of that exposure?

_**

My prior exposure to Visual Art begins with a trip to Maui when I was 13 years old, where I had the opportunity to visit the art gallery of Christian Riese Lassen. Seeing real art against the backdrop of the amazing vistas which inspired it had a profound effect on me as a young girl, although I wouldn’t realize it until much later. Other exposures included two wonderful art teachers my senior year in high school, Mrs. Garcia and Mrs. Rackelman. Mrs. Garcia introduced me to the triptychs of Hieronymus Bosch, which to my semi-goth, religiously questioning high school self were mesmerizing, an awakening to what all art could be. I also found Salvador Dali through her class, who remains one of my favorite artists. Mrs. Rackelman showed me that art was more than drawing and painting and sparked a life-long love of ceramics and sculpting. She encouraged me to enter my first art contest, and taught me to see beyond the lump of clay to what lay within…possibilities. I also had a co-worker for a short time who was a practicing artist his graffiti-like pop art struck an interest in the various forms of modern art I had not before considered. I’ve visited private galleries and public museums, but lately my exposure has predominantly been as an “art googler.” However, if I wanna be truly honest the primary source of my exposure was a ghost of sorts. The only thing I new about my father from the time I was 12 years old until just last year was that he was an artist. This drove my passion for art because it was something of him I could connect with, it was a part of him in me that I could make tangible, even if I couldn’t know him. So my connection is irrevocably linked with my father, James, a man I did not have the pleasure of meeting before his death in 2002.

**_

• Do you make art and if so, what kind?

_**

My present method of art making is drawing and painting, but I’ll always reserve a place in my heart for ceramics. I fell in love with the art form in high school, but have not had the opportunity to meet up with a kiln since then.

**_

• What medium do you use?

_**

My preferred mediums are graphite, charcoal and acrylic, but I’d love to one day branch out into oils.

**_

• What kind of style is your artwork?

_**

I am currently in the process of reinventing my style or rather truly finding it for the first time. In the past I’ve been all over the board with my stylistic choices, but I’ve recently fallen in love with John William Waterhouse and the Neo-Pre-Raphaelites, so I am leaning heavily towards that style mixed with some romantic realism and perhaps a dash of surrealism.

**_

• Who is your audience?

_**

Currently my audience is myself, my family and the wonderful folks at DeviantArt…but in my dreams? In my dream of dreams my audience (meaning who I would like my work to connect with) is anyone who has been touched by hardship, but still held onto hope. Those who have see and experienced the stark cold reality of an unfair world and still held fast to their belief in magic, mystery and romance. Perhaps it will also touch those who have lost that belief and bring it back for them. I just want my work to be seen, really “seen” and understood. I don’t want for someone to look at my art and say “Oh, that’s nice.” I want them to truly love it, or truly hate it, because either extreme means I’ve profoundly touched something inside of them with my art. Probably a little more complicated of an answer than was expected from the question, but I’m trying to define myself as an artist for the first time, and the question just sparked something in me, it made me really think about who it is I’m painting for and what it is I want to express with my art.

My exposure to visual art have been through various forms. I was exposed to visual art mainly from personal explorations. Currently, I am involved in making photographs and keen on establishing my artistic vision through photography. In order to become more visually literate and develop my artistic vision I enrolled for the course “Seeing Through Photographs” by The Muesum of Mordern Art. At the moment, my artistic style is naturalistic. I am also drawn to painting but yet to explore the medium.

I am taking this course purely for self learning. I love making art and viewing art. I can still remember that Tuesday was art day in grammar school, which was my favorite day of the week! Art is tied to my emotions and when I encounter artistic vibrations, whether in nature or man made, my soul responds to it. I enjoy color and texture in my environment and I have created pieces with glass, wood, metal. I can draw pretty well. I am very excited about this course!