Academy Home | Student Dashboard

ARTH101: Activities & Discussion

My prior exposure to visual art was in high school. We had a painting activity. I can tell my first exposure to visual art was primarily from my family. I learned my first art lesson with them. I have wanted to make art, but I think learning is the first thing to do. :slight_smile:

I am excited too! I hope you enjoy your course. :slight_smile:

Wow! I think you have been doing really good in the world of art. Keep it up! :slight_smile:

I have not really been involved with visual art, but I was heavily inspired by the DaVinci Code as it highlighted the beauty and complexity of art, something which highly fascinates me. I do not make physical art, but I do contribute to the arts through music, a passion of mine since middle school. I have not been fond of creating art myself, as I find it more fascinating to view it rather than create it. The interpretations can be endless, and not having a definitive answer is something I like about art interpretation.

ART Q-1:
my exposure to art has been around all my life, not only influenced by my family, friends and school. I have have been exposed to some many different forms of art; dancing, drawing and designing to photography, its just what I enjoy doing so I conduct this in my everyday life. I am currently and fashion designer and a musician, sometimes I do animation drawing on the side or photoshoots. my style comes from my fashion Trend, whatever is going on during the seasons I will switch up my art work to match; now my target audiences are toddlers for crafts just as the teens and the adult women for clothing and accessories.

What has been your prior exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

I grew up in a strange home surrounded by all kinds of unusual toys: a bag full of one of the first 80s coumputer’s details, a microscope, half-broken electronic monstrosity only capable to show cells in a watermellon slice, a small telescope I used to discover moon surface and neighbours’ personal life, botanics and ornithology illustration books, a book about Africa. My favourites were the museum art reproduction books, albums and postcards. The one from Prado museum I liked the most, I remember being half in love with Velazquez’s Infanta Margarita, her beautifull dresses and intricate hairdos. There was a photo taken inside of the museum, a group of visitors looking at “Las Meninas”. The picture was huge, in a heavy frame, and I thought it looked almost like a window, a gate to another time, a space inside it so realistic the surrounding people could fall inside.
Once, when I was 14, I sneaked out of my room at night to watch some TV show I wasn’t allowed to. But there was Fellini Satyricon instead. In Italian. I didn’t speak the language. It never stopped me, I was awed with Fellini’s overwhelming barrocian poetics, and have been in love with cinema ever since.

Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in the reading above? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?

I don’t think that the definition of art as - “ conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects.” is acurate enough. It can be applied to anything - am I creating art when I cross-stitch a bisrd on a purse or sew a skirt? I bet a disigher of a couch in my sitting room used skills and creative imagination, but it isn’t a piece of art.
I believe, art is something created by a human spirit, when the result is greater than the creater, and lasts longer than human life, and doesn’t rot like flesh.

Activity: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges: Art Appreciation: “Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art”

• What has been your prior exposure to visual art? - I am pretty sure my first ever exposure to visual art has been television. Mostly music videos. Immediately after that I became passionate about comics and mangas. But, the moment I fell in love with it was when I started maturing a fascination with cinema.

• Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? - It started with my family, because my sister was the one to “introduce” me to music videos and music in general. But, then I studied art in school, did some projects with professors involving art in various forms and when I started actually loving anything there was to learn about art, I began researching on my own to learn more and more about anything I could get my hands on.

• Do you make art? If so, what kind? - Yes, I do. My art is made of poetry, short stories, photography, graphic and short films.

• What is the medium you use? - It depends on what kind of art I’m creating in that moment, but I guess it’s mostly anything digital and tech.

• What kind of style is it? - Introspective, existential, abstract. Those are the words I’d use if I had to describe my style.

• Who is your audience? - Anyone who relates to what I create.

• If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind? //

Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

On my childhood, I learned to draw with my grandfather, thou he is an accounter and has nothing to do with art itself. Consecuently you could say it primarly came from my family and some personal exploration with art materials. Formally I don’t make art because to call it art, in my perspective, it has to have certain kind of quality, the artist’s formation background and context in which he/she made the piece. Mine is just sketching and playing around with a pencil and paper. I have yet not found a specific style in which my “art” fits, as I don’t have much knowledge about techniques and characteristics of style, most of my work is a mix of some of them. The audience of it is just me, close friends and of course my family.

Yes, you got it. This is where you comment on your exposure to art.

i have been exposed to visual art throughout my life. as a child i was more focussed on painting instead of study. i was inspired by my art teacher in school.i was also keen towards watching art shows on tv. I have participated in painting contests since my childhood. i am an art student doing my masters degree right now and have made several art. as an art student, i paint alot and try and experiment every medium i get hold of, but particularly i enjoy playing with colors and like to create color harmony on canves. i often sketch, paint portraits,landscape and random things.

I’ve been interested in art from a young age. Drawing and coloring was my favorite activity. My parents supported my artistic endeavors, but strangely enough the only times I visited art museums growing up were on school field trips. I also credit my Catholic upbringing as leading me into an artistic career - not to spark a religious discussion, but I must admit churches have some beautiful, awe inspiring art! I took art classes in high school and ultimately ended up pursuing painting in college. I earned a bachelors of fine art in 2011. Although I am only a “Sunday painter,” I continue to practice and expose myself to art as it enriches my life.
My main mediums are acrylics and watercolors. My painting style is naturalistic. At the moment my audience is small - family, friends, and occasionally group show/contest/charity viewers and judges.

You are making art, don’t discredit yourself! But I understand what you are saying. Art is difficult to define. For example, I wasn’t always a fan of non-objective or performance art but I’ve acquired a taste for it after going to art school. But I will also say, as someone who has some artistic talent and education, that the artist’s formal background and context is sometimes irrelevant. There are plenty of educated, professional artists who make shallow, lazy art; and conversely a lot of self taught artists who create from the heart and show amazing talent. There are many different types of artists with different skill levels, and that’s what’s beautiful about it! Art is accessible to anyone!

My exposure to visual art had to be when I was a child. I have lived in the Los Angeles (CA) area all my life. I have seen art on walls of buildings, sidewalks, cars, etc. LA is known for being a city for artists of many kinds. Also, school was a big influence as well. Since, Elementary school pushed multiple art projects on us! I am a graphic design major and my minor is photography. I do not create much art as of right now but I want too!

Activity: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges: Art Appreciation: “Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art”
Link: The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges: Art Appreciation: “Discussion Question #1: Expose Yourself to Art” (HTML)

Instructions: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities? Personal explorations? Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it? Look under “style” in module 1 to get a better idea of what it might be. Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?

i live in a country where art is for a specific kind of people,i mean my family think being an artist is just a person who live in an imaginary world, but i saw and i see art everywhere,anywhere,anytime and in many conditions, i love art , i think art is the one and only solution to express ourselves and to make the world a better place.
since i was young,i love going to museums,i adore discovering sculpture,paintings,art history,i also love watching talents show, beauty show, because deep inside i believe that ART IS EVERYWHERE, actually even our kind as a human being , we are art and we make art , i am a amateur dancer for 8 years now, all what i try to do is making lyrics from a song to a body language move, i show my friends and also did many presentations at my school in front of teachers,parents,friends,classmates,…
to sum up, art for me is the reason of every human being existence and it s present in our daily life as a painting, a draw, a choegraphy, architecture as urbanism , people apparence,movie, theater,nature,music,poem,…

I have been encouraged to be artistic since I was little. I find that mixed media is my medium of choice because it encompasses so much texture and innovation. My audience has been others in the mixed media community and I have participated in an artist ministry and online on social media. I am seeking to volunteer at a local art museum so that I can support the arts in my community.

Q: What has been your exposure to visual art? Has it been primarily from your family? School? Social activities?
Since I was a little I have seen art all over the places so I started drawing when I was in a young age, because art was the way to express myself and my emotions.
Q:Do you make art? If so, what kind? What is the medium you use? What kind of style is it?
Sometimes I draw what ever in my mind. in other times I just draw with pencil or colors what ever my mood is, so I truely don’t know my style.
Q: Who is your audience? If you haven’t made any art, have you ever wanted to? What kind?
My audience are my relatives and my acquaintances.

When in high school I took art all 4 years and photography on top of art.

Limited appreciation would be an adequate description of my exposure to art over time. I have been fortunate to visit museums, view sculptures, murals, paintings, sketches, as well as performing arts (not sure if that specific topic is within the scope of this course). However, I have always felt a deep longing to understand why art is art. What makes something created by man evoke a strong emotion in another? I have struggled oftentimes with the thought, “Art? Really? This is simply two corn cobs put together with some hot glue covered in feathers. I could do that.” Honestly, I probably couldn’t because I believe (have yet to discover) that art has a deep personal meaning to the creator.

When I was a young boy, my parents made me enroll in a painting class and I absolutely dreaded the experience each week. We got to the abstract section and I made a dark blue and green mixture, scattered, spread quickly featuring moonlight in the background (I really just wanted to get it over with). I thought this was complete garbage. Yet, the art teacher made me put it in an art show. Boy, was I nervous then! Little known to me, art can have a deeper meaning for someone else. A seemingly successful business man came by the table and just stood staring at that painting for nearly an hour. Afterwards, he looked at me and offered me $20.00 for it and said he had a special place on his desk for it. I felt like a millionaire. I was on top of the world, metaphorically speaking. I still don’t enjoy the creation process, but I’ve been searching for years to find the appreciation that man found in my crummy painting all those years ago.

[quote=“ashleyhan, post:187, topic:736, full:true”]
Taking into account that i am only 14, compared to others i might have less art exposure, but i really do enjoy to look at the small things. Something as simple as the ridges of paper ripped out of a note was so intricate to me as a child. I considered a lot of things an art work. Yarn under a magnifying glass, the formation of a keyboard, the lines on your finger, they were all so fascinating to which i will have the liberty to connect to as art. I will claim that i was raised to be detailed and wary, so everything around me became detailed
A while back, i seriously considered drawing cartoons my addiction. I had this freedom to do what i wanted to sketch. Freedom to choose my own topic, characters, plot line, etc. i was my fantasy into graphite and paper. My art is specifically leaning towards film, and the idea of making movies in the future is motivational. However i really enjoy filming any chance i get.
I like to use my dads camera to film, but
when i do get the chance i do love a good drawing using only graphite
I personally like to keep my art to myself. I’m not quite at the stage to present my art to the world, not quite. I have a problem with the fear of being judged. I haunts me day and night. I would rather play it safe and stay away from the stoplight and avoid any judgment
Taking into account that i am only 14, compared to others i might have less art exposure, but i really do enjoy to look at the small things. Something as simple as the ridges of paper ripped out of a note was so intricate to me as a child. I considered a lot of things an art work. Yarn under a magnifying glass, the formation of a keyboard, the lines on your finger, they were all so fascinating to which i will have the liberty to connect to as art. I will claim that i was raised to be detailed and wary, so everything around me became detailed.
A while back, i seriously considered drawing cartoons my addiction. I had this freedom to do what i wanted to sketch. Freedom to choose my own topic, characters, plot line, etc. i was my fantasy into graphite and paper. My art is specifically leaning towards film, and the idea of making movies in the future is motivational. However i really enjoy filming any chance i get.
I like to use my dads camera to film, but
when i do get the chance i do love a good drawing using only graphite
I personally like to keep my art to myself. I’m not quite at the stage to present my art to the world, not quite. I have a problem with the fear of being judged. I haunts me day and night. I would rather play it safe and stay away from the stoplight and avoid any judgment. my art to the world, not quite. I have a problem with the fear of being judged. I haunts me day and night. I would rather play it safe and stay away from the stoplight and avoid any judgment.