ARTH101: Discussion Topic 2, Defining Art

More interesting than defining art is that these models of defining it are never absolute. Defining art by exclusion is not adequate because some art seeks to be as mundane and ordinary as possible in an attempt to elevate “not art” to the level of art. I’m thinking of Marcel Duchamp’s “Fountain” in particular, but this is even true of some conceptual art where no tangible artistic product may be apparent. And although art is a social endeavor that is influenced by time and culture, artistic expression is common and recognizable throughout humankind and humankind’s history. Any well known piece of art you can think of has that “timeless” quality no matter what the style or cultural context.

Hi Karen, I think Goyo just cut and pasted the topic for discussion from the Course page, so some of the HTML – and therefore unseen options became visible here when he pasted. Since he had not checked the checkbox by the topic, is came across here as “not completed.”

I would agree with the definition of art given in the text, particularly the part about art is simply agreed upon… In theater we were taught how a social contact is part of putting on play. I think the same relationship apples between the artist and viewer – not that the artist is bound to make art that everyone will enjoy and understand, in fact I think that would break the social contract, as the public may expect to have their assumptions and believes challenged when they make a trip to an art gallery or a museum.
John Baldessari once said, “anything is art if the artist says it is.” I would add, that “anything is art if the artist and the viewer agree it is.”

I think I agree with the course’s definitions of art. I’d like to add that, as well as culture, art can be directly tied to subculture, and furthermore transcend culture. Art is almost as abstract a concept as love, and both are well capable of invoking visceral, even primal emotions in their beholders.

I think art is reflective, it’s a way to express what we are feeling or how we see the world. As a poet I find that a lot of my writing comes from what I see or hear in the world, whether it be a painting or a piece of music or even a television show. I write these poems for myself mainly but I stick them on facebook to see what my friends think of them.

Art is something that creates greateness in a person. It could be in the artist itself and could also be in a simple audience.

Art is a way for people to express there feeling in a way other people can see. However sometimes people have there own view of every piece of art work.

Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in the reading above? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?

Yes, I do agree with the definition of art as it’s given. But I also do believe that art is a medium or a way to communicate with the audience and to express the artist’s feeling, lifestyle, goal, culture & etc. I always believe that in every single artwork that produced, it has a message to pass along from the artist.

*p.s: sorry, my English is not the good. :sweat_smile:

Art is something that has no limits no boundaries and no control. It’s what the artist wishes on how to express themselves

I believe art is in the eye of the beholder without sounding to cliche. What one may see as art another person may not see it that way. I believe art is difficult to ascertain because art is a subjective topic with many ways of seeing the same work of art.

The definition of art is exactly as it should be. Art is in the eye of the beholder. Art is a subjective experience and the best thing about art is that it can be viewed by others and most of them walk away with different perspectives what they have seen.

Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in the reading above? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?
I agree with some parts of the quote.
I believe art is subjective, what one person may consider as art, another person may not, but even this speaks to you when you you reflect on why you may like or not like an art peiece directing you to an aspect of yourself. I agree art is expression, you are bridging the gap of your imagination, connecting to your emotions and thinking (your inner worlds) and translating this through art this is why art brings forth deep meaning that people can connect to

Art is subjective. It provokes all sorts of thoughts in viewers of it.

meb3, As you say that you agree with the definition. For me, art comes in many forms. As a for instance, i have created poetry, written a book, and am an artist. I will reply more as I get more into the class, Thank you.

Discussion Topic 2: Defining Art

I agree that art has an aesthetic purpose, but also believe it has an important therapeutic purpose. Creating art can be relaxing and a safe way to let out stress and frustration. I remember once reading a quote from Stephen King… To paraphrase: “Art is anything you create and sell.”

I completely disagree with that statement. You don’t have to sell it for it to be art. Art can be made merely for personal reasons/viewing and still be art, IMHO.

Yes I agree with some of the statement that art is expression. My belief is Art is both subjective and objective because on one hand we bleieve that art can be judged to standards yet we say beauty is subjective and accept everyones taste

I agree with the statement that art is an expression of experience. To me the mistake is to try to define art be de medium used or even materials employed.

For a long time, I defined art for myself as the reaction a piece causes on the audience. That is the artistic result for me and maybe even not the piece itself.

Although I would like to agree with this beautiful definition I do not think that I can. In my eyes art is, and always will be completly and entirely subjective. As Duchamp has proven, when we point and call it out as art it thus becomes art. I do agree that art must be created (or called out) by humans. If we did not make it, how can it be art? I do not think that for example a flower or a tree is art, however I would consider the human interpretation of the object to be art. It almost becomes a matter of faith in my eyes, those who believe in a creator could look at a flower and say that “god has created this for aesthetic purpose and therefore it is art” but as a non religious/spiritual person I disagree. I think that anything interpreted by any individual as art becomes art.
what do you think?

Art is anything created by an individual that guides another. Even the simplest drawing of an everyday common object can be made into a striking and moving piece. Not everyone likes trucks for example and we have a choice; as with art, we all are not expected like every single work.

I agree that “anything interpreted by any individual as art becomes art.” It is a personal decision to give something like an art piece any importance.

I am not sure if anyone else is doing this course currently? I am jus dipping in at present. I am an ex-art teacher and have painted and printed during my lifetime. I am presently researching William Blake’s work. He is very iconocalstic regarding, for example - copying nature! He says anyone can copy the superficial appearance of things. He painted an inner world of vision and spirituality! What do you think of Blake’s visual work?? Is it archaic?