ARTH101 Discussion Topic 2: Defining Art

arth101

Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it’s explained in the reading above? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?
“It is the expression of our experience.” I agree, because each one has his own art. You can cook artistically, talk artistically, move artistically, smile artistically, play sports artistically, you can actually think artistically and do your everyday duties and job artistically. So Art is in each and every individual of us.

“Art is uniquely human and tied directly to culture.” yes Art is a human and it differs from one to another, as unique as our finger print however, it is not necessarily tied to the individual culture in which I don’t agree with that specifically. It is more tied to the soul of each individual and might be affected by our experiences and culture but not necessarily.

“It takes the ordinary and makes it extraordinary.” I Don’t agree with that, what actually art does to a specific subject is that it focuses the senses on it, making zoom on it, living the present in this specific subject exposed. It makes us see the beauty in things we may be take its presence in our reality for granted. Art is like prayers or meditations. Art is seeing the beauty in each and every single detail in our reality in different many aspects as many as there are different individuals with different souls and different finger prints.

“It asks questions about who we are, what we value, the meaning of beauty and the human condition.” It doesn’t question, it answers." Yes, it allows us to experience others point of views, others beauty perspectives and others feelings.

“It gives voice to ideas and feelings, connects us to the past, reflects the present and anticipates the future.” It doesn’t give voice, It is just connecting us consciously or subconsciously with other timelines and perspectives or ideas.

“Visual art is a rich and complex subject whose definition is in flux as the culture around it changes. Because of this, how we define art is in essence a question of agreement.”

It is flux for the fact that we have different perspectives may be affected by culture, society, religion, or family but not necessarily.

for me, I can define art as:
Art is like meditation or prayer, it makes us live the moment and focus on the beauty of very detailed things we take their presence for granted. It differs from an individual to another just like a finger print, and it feels beautiful to see the beauty of others finger prints, the beauty in the differences in perspectives about the beauty that their eyes see.

I like the Brodsky definition. As for me, anything that expresses a emotion within you in the form of a visual/written/other medium is art - especially emotions that cannot be expressed through routine conversations. This covers performance art - often a form of protest; poetry; paintings; sketches; abstract writing etc.

If art is subjective, then anything can be perceived as art, and if everything is art, nothing is. To say art is reflective, one must first consider, reflective of what, self? But what is self, mind, thought, perception, ego? We may observe art, and in doing so, observe ourselves, but perhaps the goal should be to observe ourselves, observing art.

The definition of art I concur most from the paragraph given is that art “asks questions about who we are, what we value, the meaning of beauty and the human condition.” When I encounter a work of art I think about how I feel in response to what I have experienced. I think about how does it fit in or is different from the world around me. Art is absolutely the expression of the human condition and the environment it occupies.

I rely like your definition of art and to add to that I also think is the deep filling of imagination that brings out a persons cultural abilities into reality for the benefit of others .

I agree with the way art is described, because I grew up with the same thoughts. It is truly the best way to showcase a culture and make sure it is still remembered years or even centuries from now. I also agree with the point of view where visual art is not just a sculpture but more than that.

Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it is explained in this unit? Why or why not? Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?

I believe the definition for ‘art’ as explained in this unit is satisfying. I believe that art is something that can not be defined in a dictionary, as it cannot be bounded to a basic definition.

The author describes art as always being in a state of flux, ultimately, making the definition of art ever-changing as well. Historically, as cultures, mediums, and technology change; so does art and our definition of it. That has never ben more true than in today’s rapid technological advancing world.

Hello!
The article provided defined art as the expression of our experience. I find that I quite agree with this definition. Human experience is not limited to any one form and it is unique to humans to find a reflection of their experiences in unconventional ways, e.g. anthropomorphically. Art is a representation of humanity and of human ideas. That is why it is beautiful.
-SolarShannon

Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it is explained in this unit? Why or why not?
I do agree with the definition of art in this Unit because it is a very accurate definition of art. I do believe that art is tied to culture and makes humans different from animals.

Can you add to the definition?
Art is also, in a way, a subconscious thing to the human mind. The creativity that goes into making an artwork of a kind takes deeply embedded emotion sometimes that, in the beginning, we might not know that we have that emotion in that piece.

Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?
My definition comes from a more subjective perspective than an objective perspective.

How would you define art?
I would honestly define art in a way the article defined it, but I would make it more emotional. Mostly art to me is the soul of a human and the unexplained motivation of our creativity and imagination.

art is an expression suitable for all aspects and culture

Defining art. Is it an oxymoron or a contradiction of terminology?

There are certain moments in life when you discover that your knowledge of a particular subject has blocks of missing data. You find that you haven’t really understood or learned as much as you thought you had. It’s as if this subject was somehow overlooked by your teachers and parents. Maybe it’s just a failure to communicate. Could it be possible that you hadn’t paid attention from a lack of interest or better yet, an increased interest elsewhere like maybe um… IDK ah,… hormonal influenced distractions. Regardless of the why, it remains evident that there’s so much more under the covers then you had previously known there was. You know. Like an iceburg. What? Anyway, that’s how I felt after a “Maplethorpe” discussion, mostly though, “is he serious?” I was relieved it was a brief interaction that I managed to shake off quickly! Of course there was a pun intended… Though in retrospect my lack of any expression of artistic knowledge, or rather, knowledge of artistic expression, was quite apparent to me, thus began my quest for such knowledge. I believe that for me this circumstance was in fact, the result of not having a clear or absolute translation of art that caused an avoidance of sorts. It isn’t a subject that has a check system to validate a precise answer. What there is though is a reaction, a difference in emotion, or a feeling be it disturbed or otherwise. Art will cause you to “feel” something or to question something or to act out for recognition, approval, or protest. I find that any attempt of defining art with the use of words to be inadequate.
Even so, it provides a platform to start on. Therefore, on one hand, yes, I agree with the definition, in that it covers the basis for a general definition of the word art. The subject or subjects (if you will) however, seem almost indefinable. The spectrum of art encompasses an enormous array of outlets, with a plethora of cause, variety, type, style, purpose, medium, etcetera… It seems much to simple a word and far to simply defined. Yet even the word art itself is rather humble, it being the bearer of so many realized and potential sources. This is my opinion, flavored with a hint of objectivity, about an extremely subjective topic. Think of how boring and robotic it would be if art were to OD on objectivity. YUCK! Hey wait that could be a good idea for a new piece…

If it weren’t for my appreciation of a fellow students painting, I may never had opened this limitless realm of possibilities simply called art.

Chuck

Do you agree with the definition for ‘art’ as it is explained in this unit? Why or why not?Can you add to the definition? Is your definition coming from a subjective or objective perspective?

Yes, I agree! I think art really is an expression of the artist, and one part I really liked in the article was:

it allows us to experience sublime joy, deep sorrow, confusion and clarity.

It’s definitely true because art isn’t just “beautiful”, it makes you feel something… be it sadness or pure happiness. That’s one of the things I love about art is that you can really communicate something with it without even speaking a word. I feel like my definition is more subjective because I have a personal connection with art and I really enjoy looking at and making art. When I see a piece of art, I immediately think about how long the artist took to make it and appreciate their efforts.

Hi ! I define art as whatever is inside you and whatever you are feeling. I am a Van Gogh fan! No one understood Van Gogh! He had so much going on inside and there wasn’t enough time in a day for him to express in art what he was feeling. Now everyone admires and feels some of that pain and his love for art!!!

I make lots of different art, from jewelry to paper art to Japanese Art. I am new to Saylor and hope to learn a great deal while I am here.

Thank You, Doroshii.

I do agree with definition of taking ordinary and making it into extraordinary art. I was fortunate enough to be introduced to art at an early age and always loved it. My favorite part was art classes in elementary school and it was so relaxing just to come up with different idea and never get bored from it. then, teacher would choose few “art pictures” and display it in the center of the hall. There are so many different ways people can view as art. In my opinion art is a culture. I’m looking forward to learn as much as possibly I can in this class.

I agree with what was written art is also about taking what your feeling and exspressing yourself through what ever you do rather it Is painting, drawing, dancing ,or writing. My personal favorite Is dancing, iv been a dancer for 11 years.

It also brings out who they are as a person

I agree with you because art is all about taking what you are feeling and exspressing yourself through Whatever you do

Art to me, has two sides. What the artist creates and what the observer sees.
Art is a feeling, expressed outwardly.

Well, it’s really not that simple at all. When I think of art, I imagine creativity in a limitless number of forms. New ways to create are being developed and explored constantly, and we still have yet to reach whatever limit may exist. If I had to “define” art, it would just be expression in any form. I believe there’s an artist in everyone, making art in their own endless forms.

Yes!! It exists in more forms than can be counted. To this day, we’re still discovering new ways to create.