ARTH101: Discussion Topic 4, Art21

Reflect on the following discussion prompt. If you wish, please post your thoughts on Saylor’s discussion forum. Leave a reply to your classmates’ posts as well!

View at least five short videos from Art21. You can search for artist’s names by alphabet at the top middle of Art21’s homepage. Watch how they work and what they say about their process. Then place one artist in each of the following categories:

• List the artists you viewed.
  • Who surprised you the most?
  • Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work.
  • Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the
    work itself.
  • Which artist was most concerned with materials.

ARTH101: Activities & Discussion
Introductions

List the artists you viewed.
• Omer Fast
• Joan Jonas
• Katherina Gross
• Abraham Cruzvillegas
• Tania Bruguera

• Who surprised you the most? Joan Jonas was the most surprising. Her work was the very definition of postmodernism. None of it means anything and each viewer gets to determine on their own what if any meaning can be drawn from the work. I was also surprised at her work because postmodernism tends to be an exercise in the ridiculous. Some of Jonas’ work did make me want to laugh at the ridiculousness of it, but the next moment, she would present something fascinating to look at.

• Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work? Joan Jonas was also most concerned with the process. In fact, she was consumed with the idea of process in creativity. Many times, there would be no image or real idea, but just impressions on various things. The process resulted in the creation, so to her, it seemed that process was the most important issue.

• Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself? Katherina Gross constantly talked about how to bring her vision to life. In her studies for the final work, she created miniatures of the spaces where her art would exist so she could visualize how her art would appear to those looking at it.

• Which artist was most concerned with materials? Abraham Cruzvillegas was most concerned with materials. His emphasis on the majority of his art was using materials from where he grew up. One of his works was created in Paris and was inspired by a favorite poet of his. His goal in the piece was to use only materials found in Paris and the final works would only be displayed in the places frequented by the poet who inspired his work.

Unfortunately I was unable to watch the videos as I live in England. I have watched a BBC programme called What do Artists Do All Day. They were Tracey Emin and Sue Webster. Tracey Emin surprised me the most. She is very concerned about the process and creativity.
Sue Webster collects recyclable materials to use in her work with Tim. She talked about her split from Tim and her creative process in developing a conceptual cook book.
Tracey Emin was aware of the creativity and how she continues to improve her work. She was interested in the different types of materials used.

I am in the UK so I cannot watch the videos on that site. However I am a regular viewer of the YouTube channel called The Art Assignment which profiles artists and then each artist sets an art project for the audience.

There have been so many artists featured that it is impossible for me to pick out any single one. However the group that surprised me the most is street artists. The general public impression is that pieces of street art are quickly done sketches, perhaps by criminals. In reality street artists, especially established ones think deeply and for a long time about the space they want to work with and the ideas behind each piece, they have to consider materials, creativity and process to make sure that the piece is executed effectively and conveys the message that they want it to.

I show the website is down. I’ll try again in a little while, but I thought I ought to post in case in anyone else was having problems.

List the artists you viewed.:*

• Allora & Calzadilla
  • Kimsooja
  • Shahzia Sikander
  • Jessica Stockholder
  • Tabaimo

Who surprised you the most?

• Shahzia Sikander
    I was very impressed and surprised by how much work she puts into her pieces - they take three to four years to finish, many she starts and continues to build on them for years and years. Her dedication and and focus is amazing. I think I may have discovered a new favorite artist!!

Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work.

• Shahzia Sikander/Jessica Stockholder
    I could really put any artist’s name here, as most of the people I watched were very focused on HOW they got to the piece, more so than what it specifically looks like. But since Shahzia puts years of effort into each and every miniature, I felt she was the most concerned with the steps of her projects. Jessica Was also very focused on process. She seemed to have a less strong idea on what something should specifically look like, and seemed more concerned about building it. She talked a lot about “playing/thinking without a predetermined end”

Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself.

• Allora & Calzadilla
    These two were very focused on whether something was creative enough. They didn’t like anything blatant or obvious meaning, they were really concerned about making something symbolic. Allora said art “turns things upside down, so you see it completely differently now and new meanings come out of it”

Which artist was most concerned with materials.

• Jessica Stockholder
    She was all about supplies. She said she liked plastic because it eas bright and colorful, but also because that is was “quick, easy and inexpensive matierial that is part of our culture”. Even building her works was a social commentary on us. She also was very focused on using mundane objects and putting them in extraordinary situations and thereby shifting their me

*I am a little disappointed in myself, I attempted to pick artists semi-randomly, but I also attempted to try and be as diverse as possible (and avoid American artists, as I have a lot of exposure to them already.
However, when I wrote up list, I discovered that I picked artists from cultures which I like and pre-predominately woman. I just scrolled through and picked videos randomly, skipping people from the US, (except for a couple, which I thought would be interesting comparisons). So I am not sure what this says about my subconscious judgment.

List the artists you viewed:

• Laylah Ali
  • Laurie Anderson
  • Ida Applebroog
  • Janine Antoni
  • Eleanor Antin

Eleanor Antin: her humourous oeuvre, especially the photographic series “100 Boots”

Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work?
Laylah Ali: uses sketchbooks, notebooks, collects newspaper clippings she classifies, makes notes of the colours used, of the work to be done the next day, etc.

Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself?
Janine Antoni: she not only uses different materials but also treats them in special ways, e.g. a portrait of herself from chocolate which she licks, another one from soap which she washes, a cow hide she drapes around a mould of her body

Which artist was most concerned with materials?
Janine Antoni: she uses and combines any kind of material for her works, be that lard, hair, electric cables, chocolate, soap, etc. etc.

Ø Artists that I viewed:
• Joan Jonas
• Arlene Shechet
• Tania Bruguera
• Worlgang Laib
• Omar Fast
Ø The artist I was most surprised with was Joan Jonas because of how she went outside of the box to create different crazy things every time she did something.
Ø The artists most concerned with the process of making the work was Omar Fast because he had to talk to the people to get their story and had to make it into a certain type of video

The artists that was most concerned with the materials of their work was Wolfgang Laib.

List the artist you viewed?
Joan Jonas
Katharina Grosse
Omar Fast
Wolfgang Laib
Anthony Browder

Anthony Browder surprised me the most because he is on the Rock Newman Show located at Howard University. Anthony Browder words (language) were very artistic, and historical. Anthony Browder gave me the feeling of someone who had Form and Content - the physical and visible characteristics inherent in works of are and the meaning we derive from them.

Which artist was most concerned with the process of making it work? Wolfgang Laib he wanted to make his art - work for the people of India who were not getting any water to drink. He used pollen in his art and his favorite pollen is moss which is as fine as water (almost). In South, India he found in the village human existance, Subjective feelings about a work, in fact you will find that the more informed you become the more artwork will affect you emotionally and intellectually.

Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself? Anthony Browder I feel was the most concerned with creativity in the idea of their art or the work itself. Anthony Browder in his language about Eygpt painted a Landscape by himself - giving us detailed information about our natural and human made surroundings: things like location, architecture, time of day, year or season plus other physical information such as geological elements. The title of his Video is “Egypt on the Potomac”.

Which artist was most concerned with materials? Katharina Grosse she made a beautiful piece of sculpture one of trees and the other of shapes using bright colors an styrofoam materials. Katharina Grosse is an abstract style artist who’s abstraction can be created by exaggerating form, simplifying shapes or the use of strong colors. Katharina Grosse has form and content in her art work, the physical and visable characteristics inherent in works of art, and also the meaing we derive from them. And visual clues that provide an understanding of what the art tells us.

Artists viewed:
Joan Jonas
Tania Bruguera
Trevor Paglen
Elliot Hundley
Thomas Hirschhorn
Katharina Gosse
Leonard Drew
Arlene Schechet

I found Thomas Hirschhorn the most surprising. He believes “every human has an understanding of art” and that “all humans are intellectuals”. He uses basic materials such as plywood, cardboard, tape, items which can be found in most hardware stores, and pays people living near his ‘monument sites’ to assist with his artwork. Yet by contrast, these simple items and often large scale artistic creations carry an enormous weight of significance and meaning, challenging ideas about “aesthetic value, moral responsibility, political agency, consumerism and media spectacle.”

I thought that the artist most concerned with the process of making the work was Katharina Gosse. Not sure whether she is a painter or a sculptor, Gosse engages with a variety of materials, often creating large sculptures. Interested in comparisons and contrasts and “the anarchic potential of color”, her work is fluid, combining thoughts ideas, styles and color, allowing her work to create its own life and forms or art.

Joan Jonas appeared most concerned with creativity. Uninterested in symbolism, she prefers ‘concrete’ art, and enjoys testing the boundaries of perception and spontaneity. Her work in the 60s and 70s in particular, was experimental, with improvisation and altered focus an important aspect. Often bizarre her work is both confronting and at times, amusing.

Leonard Drew was most concerned with materials. He says he doesn’t know what his work is about and even if he did, he wouldn’t tell! His sculptures are created from a wide variety of materials which he then subjects to weathering, burning, oxidization and decay, and forms into amorphous and challenging artworks.

After re-reading my notes I can see that Discussion Topic 3 is much easier to consider and comment on after watching the Art 21 videos.

Discussion – Art21 (Topic 4)

Technical Problems Note: Firstly, although very interesting, I would strongly recommend to the staff of ARTH101 to find an alternative to Art21 for this exercise as the videos are almost impossible to view (even with a VPN pointed to American servers). Moreover, many videos display 00:00 as their duration which makes the selection process even trickier (because I think the server wants to stream the entire video before it can start to play). In addition, videos from the site have strangely disappeared from one viewing session to another (in the same day!) – see related comments below. Maybe there is some site or video setting that makes the entire video load or just the segment I want; not sure what the heck is happening. I am sure that many other students are experiencing such technical difficulties with this particular site.

List the artists you viewed:
• Kara Walker
• Jessica Stockholder
• Robert Ryman
• Ai Weiwei
• Lari Pittman

Mrs. Walker surprised me because of her forthright comments about her overall approach to her work. She said that she “both wanted to be the heroine and kill the heroine at the same time”. Or employ a “push & pull” strategy when confronted with an artistic dilemma. I thought that was a both very profound statement as well as an interesting way to create art.

Jessica Stockholder explained this really well in a video called “Form”. This short video seems to have strangely disappeared. I watched it earlier today and when I just tried to replay it from he video page, it is nowhere to be found. She expressed form in a really interesting way. I just hope I would have remembered specifically what she said so I could write it here. If anyone else has seen this video, please let me know.

Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself?
Robert Ryman discussed the creative process in a short video called “Possibilities” on this website. But unfortunately, this video also disappeared (as did many others). This is the one I wanted to use, as I thought he expressed the creative process really well. I forget the specifics of what he said and surely wish I could find this video again, but it seems destiny has chosen otherwise.

It’s a difficult question to answer, as very few artists specifically mention the use of materials on this website. Moreover, one could easily assume that materials are extremely important to most artists. The person I thought seemed highly concerned with materials was Ai Weiwei, as his works are very different from one another in terms of materials. For example, in his work ‘Sunflower Seeds’ he uses porcelain, paint, and 100 million sunflower seeds. To bring the vision for such a work to fruition poses an immense challenge to the artist (i.e., how does one come about 100 million sunflower seeds?) It would certainly appear to me that Ai Weiwei was not to be deterred from fulfilling this work just because he perhaps could not obtain what was required. This is quite admirable and impressive I must say.

Dan Fournier, 2015-09-28

Hi Dan, these videos can be troublesome indeed for non-US viewers. Does the ART:21 channel on YouTube alleviate the problem somewhat? I think there is not a 1:1 correspondence for the videos (and possibly clips have been re-edited), but a wide variety of artists is presented.

Hello Sean,

Thank you for your concern and reply. Actually the YouTube videos play well; it’s more the other ones that have trouble loading (even with a VPN connected to a USA server). I guess I was just unlucky. Perhaps the other users are accessing them without difficulty. It was still interesting to see the diversity of artists at Art21. No worries, as I am moving along in the course. And thanks again for following up.

Best,

hey everyone,am new here and am looking forward for great discussion

Jeff Koons, Robert Mongold, Judy Pfaff, Mark Dion, and Shahzia Sikander

Robert Mongold did. He said, “Painting doesn’t deal with time like almost every other medium does. A painting plants itself in front of you and says, Here I am.” And, “My art doesn’t come from nature, it comes from culture.”

Shahzia Sikander – it takes her 4 to 5 years to prepare and create for an exhibition.

Mark Dion combines creativity with culture and ecology, amassing a copious amount of artifacts from modern living and transforming them into an ecological, moralistic message. He, as he says, “holds up a mirror to the present.” He is very focused on the relationship between the artist and our modern society, “I see artist’s role today as a critical foil to dominant culture.” To do this, he goes through hours of creative time that prepares, informs, and amazing lengths brings his creative work into being. His acts of using nature in his artwork involve not only his
imagination, but his direct involvement with other aspects of his whole life as well.

Jeff Koons – His process involves many hours of graphic designs by his helpers, the colour palettes are extensive, the detailed work taking multiple hours on just one part of one subject. Most of his works of art are life-size and some enormous, wall-sized.

Lynda Benglis
Louise Bourgeois
Diana Al-Hadid
El Anatsui
Allora & Calzadilla

I was surprised most by Diana Al-Hadid. I have never seen such interesting manner of creating. The process of making her art works is as impressive, as the results of it. It is like a miracle, when the idea became an image and finally, this image became an object.
Diana Al-Hadid most concerned with the process.

El Anatsui, while creating his piece of Art he aimed to show the sky in urban environment.
Lynda Benglis also was inspired by nature, its forms and textures, shapes. I guess these ideas was really important in her works.
Allora & Calzadilla in their project are representing “Form”. The idea of it, meanings, etc.

Louise Bourgeois, to my mind, was also concentrated on her main idea, but the materials are also very important for her.

I had difficulty viewing the videos as I don’t live in the US but I did look at the following artists and got a flavour of their work

• Andrea Zittel
    Carrie Mae Weems
    James Turrel
    Shahzia Sikander
    Judy Pfaff

I found James Turrel’s work the most surprising because it was all about using light and space to create an experience for the audience in terms of their perception. The large scale projects he creates just using light and space are amazing especially the one created in a volcanic cinder cone.

I would say Shahzia Sikander is more concerned with the process of making the work because she has creates minature paintings, murals and animation which have a message for society about race and treating everyone as equal no matter what race.

Andrea Zittel is most concerned about creativity in her art work where she takes objects or things from her ordinary domestic environment and recreates them to make them more interesting. She also creates sculptures which are very postmodern and typically seen in big cities, but then puts them in the middle of a desert!

I think Judy Pfaff was most concerned with materials as she uses a large range of them to create sculptures that take over a room. She uses steel, fibre glass, plaster and even organic materials such as tree roots to create dramatic pieces that fly through the air or pierce through walls. The shapes and colour are also important to her work.

Robert Adams
Abraham Cruzvillegas
Elliott Hundley
Sarah Sze
Tabaimo

Abraham Cruzvillegas - The mixture of his Mexican ancestry with his inspiration from a French poet and the city of Paris was surprising, as was the insistence that his temporary sculptures throughout Paris not be photographed.

Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work.
Sarah Sze - She was also very interested in the location in which her sculpture would be placed - the location and researching it were important parts of the creative process.

Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the
work itself.
Tabaimo - Her video installations were very creative, and they were the most difficult to interpret.

Which artist was most concerned with materials.
Elliott Hundley - He had an enormous amount of materials to use in his collages and his photography. The materials were an integral part of the art, moreso than the other artists.

El Anatsui
Tania Bruguera
Allora & Calzadilla’
Laurie Anderson
Worlgang Laib

Who surprised you the most? El Anatsui
Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work? Tania Bruguera
Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself? Alora & Calzadilla
Which artist was most concerned with materials? Worlgang Laib