List the artists you viewed.
Anne
Abraham Cruzvillegas
Tania Bruguera
Jessica Stockholder
Tabaimo

Who surprised you the most? Jessica Stockholder
Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work. Tabaimo
Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the
work itself.Tania Bruguera
Which artist was most concerned with materials.Anne

Josiah McElheny
Robert Adams
David Altmejd
John Baldessari
Vija Celmins

I was most surprised by David Altmejd since he never does any sketched before sculpturing. The many materials he worked with and his creativity was amazing.
Josiah was most concerned with his process in glass blowing .
The creativity shown by John was striking as was his own evolution through different forms of art.
Again, David was most concerned with materials.

The artist i viewed:
Marina Abramovic
Cao Fei
Walton Ford
Ann Hamilton
Yinka Shonibare MBE
FORD probably surprised me the most. I didn’t know what to expect from a humorous work. We share the dark sense of humor which was quite astonishing to find myself laughing out loud as i researched his documentary.
ABRAMOVIC is intense in her process, she’s even come up with step 1, 2, and 3. Very patient and meticulous. I absolutely love her expression and command for pushing emotion. She’s quite an artist.
FEI is not only creative, but dreamy. I fell in love with what she does and why she does it. She really gives you a chance and invitation to explore various avenues. A definite artist to research.
HAMILTON most concerned with literally writing with thread. Extremely thorough and creative, thoughtful and innovative. Her work is carefully planned out as I’m sure theirs all are, but in a way i don’t imagine whatsoever.
Lastly, i have to add a huge thanks to Saylor Academy for this assignment and recommendations for art 21… i 've never heard of this and is now my favorite site to watch and learn from.

Brian Jungen
Nick Cave
Arlene Shechet
Do Ho Suh
Richard Tuttle
Joan Jonas
Kara Walker
Sarah Sze

•Who surprised you the most?

I think Nick Cave surprised and intrigued me the most. His exclusive “Thick Skin” discusses the experiences that force him to confront his identity as a black man—including being racially profiled by police—and how they fuel his impulse to create. That catapulted him to create Soundsuits which are somewhat childlike costumes that hide the individual so the audience reserves any form of bias based on gender, race and class. Joan Jonas’ whimsical approach to art also surprised me.

•Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work?

Arlene Shechet was thoughtful and exacting in her process of making cast paper reliefs. Throughout the process, Arlene uses her fingers and other objects from her studio to mold and imprint the clay. She describes “color and form” as an important part of her work and that “color is the paper”. “The thing about working with paper is the immediacy of that entire process,” she says . “I love seeing the thing and responding.” By layering sheets of paper over rubber molds, which are made in her ceramics studio, Shechet directly links the two practices. The molds transfer the texture of glazed clay, firebricks, and tool markings into the paper pulp.

•Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself?

In “Rubbing/Loving” Do Ho Suh covered every surface of an apartment with white paper which he then rubbed with colored pencil to reveal and preserve all of the space’s memory-provoking details. “My energy has been accumulated and in a way I think my rubbing shows that,” he says. “I’m trying to show the layers of time.”

It serves as a transportable testament to the home’s emotional importance to Do Ho Suh and the owner’s family. He says “I try to understand my life as a movement through different spaces.” Suh was born in South Korea, studied in Rhode Island and Connecticut and now lives in London.

•Which artist was most concerned with materials?

Arlene Shechet with her detailed use of clay and paper. And Sarah Sze with her desire to have a tactile relationship with materials in a world saturated with digital imagery. For her 2015 exhibition at Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, Sze amplified and countered this contemporary experience through her installation “Second Studio”. By arranging paint skins, torn paper images, and other materials such as wood, thread, and rocks, Sze explored our fragmented relationship to illusionistic images by focusing our attention on each object’s materiality.

Diana Thater, Liz Larner, Edgar Arcenuex community is Los angles, California. When you first think of Los angles so many different things could come to your mind, but what came to my mind was the beach walking towards the ocean diving my feet into the sand.
I would not say that I am a critic but more a lover for realist and optimist which pointed me towards Diana Thater as the artist who surprised me the most her artistic ability has me excited for the Los Angles community because I am one for different light that comes from and she described it in such a way that makes me think of the northern lights. Never have I seen them but being raised in small town on the Utah-Idaho border we heard rumors that one night that we would see the lights all reach us this far south.
Liz Larner lives in the Los Angles communtiy and I would say that she is most concerned with making of her work. In the Art 21 video she makes a comment about never creating in the same way as she did before and to me that would be a lot more process to create one sculpture or piece that has a different meaning or view of the artwork.
I would say that all artist if they claim the title of an artist are concerned about creativity in the idea of always bringing something new to the table whether it may not be new but put a spin on there creation to bring something new to life.
Edgar Arceneaux Labyrinth library of black lies to me used a lot of different meanings that had connections between the material and the whole ideal of a labyrinth. He also uses mirrors to make the visual space between you and a piece more alike because you see yourself in the piece and the message so in a way you are the piece.

• Omer Fast
• Joan Jonas
• Katherina Gross
• Abraham Cruzvillegas
• Tania Bruguera

Who surprised you the most? Joan Jonas was the most surprising. Her work was the very definition of postmodernism. None of it means anything and each viewer gets to determine on their own what if any meaning can be drawn from the work. I was also surprised at her work because postmodernism tends to be an exercise in the ridiculous. Some of Jonas’ work did make me want to laugh at the ridiculousness of it, but the next moment, she would present something fascinating to look at.

Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work? Joan Jonas was also most concerned with the process. In fact, she was consumed with the idea of process in creativity. Many times, there would be no image or real idea, but just impressions on various things. The process resulted in the creation, so to her, it seemed that process was the most important issue.

Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself? Katherina Gross constantly talked about how to bring her vision to life. In her studies for the final work, she created miniatures of the spaces where her art would exist so she could visualize how her art would appear to those looking at it.

Which artist was most concerned with materials? Abraham Cruzvillegas was most concerned with materials. His emphasis on the majority of his art was using materials from where he grew up. One of his works was created in Paris and was inspired by a favorite poet of his. His goal in the piece was to use only materials found in Paris and the final works would only be displayed in the places frequented by the poet who inspired his work.

I have viewed Nick Cave, Theaster Gates, Barbara Kasten, Chris Ware and Diana Thater. The artist that surprised me the most was Nick Cave. Most concerned with the process of making the work was Nick Cave as well as concerned with materials. Most concerned with creativity in idea for their art or work itself goes to Barbara Kasten.

I watched Meriem Bennani,Jeff Wall, Keltie Ferris, Charles Atlas, and Tommy Hartung. Who surprised me most was Keltie Ferris, who paints a mixture of impressionist, abstract, and modern art. The artist most concerned with the process would be Tommy Hartung, who often needs to take breaks from long hours of paintings to exercise. Keltie Ferris uses several materials to make her art, such as spray paint, brushes, palette knives. Charles Atlas relies on his creativity to make films and videos for the stage or television.

Laylah Ali
Chris Ware
Wolfgang Laib
William Kentridge
Maya Lin
An-My Le
Who surprised you the most?
William Kentridge with his paper collages, projections and sculptues of the same and also their use in opera.
Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work?
An-My Le who repeatedly took photographs of the basalt mine from different locations and at different times to get just the perfect shot.
Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself?
Chris Ware.
Which artist was most concerned with materials?
Wolfgang Laib who painstakingly collects the pollen from different plants and who also uses other natural materials in his sculptures.

List the artists you viewed:
Joan Jonas
Omar Fast
Katharina Grosse
Wolfgang Laib
Abraham Cruzvillegas

Katharina Grosse was the most surprising to me. She goes with what she feels while creating, and comes up with great masterpieces. She focuses on all aspects of her work from visuals, creativity, materials, the whole process. Her work is very unique and very interesting to look at.

Katharina Grosse was the most concerned with the process of making the work. She focuses on all aspects of her work. She focuses a lot on visuals, and also with how all the materials in her work will work together. She focuses on creativity throughout the whole process and goes with what she feels while creating.

Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself?
Joan Jonas was most concerned with creativity. Much of her work is intuitive. She’s very much into performance and theater, which also fuels her ideas for drawings. She gets inspired by different cultures and rituals.

Abraham Cruzvillegas was most concerned with materials. He uses materials that he finds in a place. In Paris, he used materials that he found at the place, created a sculpture with them, and left the work there. He is inspired by how a community helped each other build houses. They didn’t know anything about architecture or construction. They improvised with materials that they found.

Artists:

Ai Wei Wei
Catherine Opie
Rackstraw Downes
Robert Mangold
Sarah Sze

I was most surprised by Ai Wei Wei. His dedication to speaking out against the lack of integrity in government was just as formidable as his dedication to creating artwork, and as a human being Ai Wei Wei struck a chord with me in a more visceral sense than any other artist I viewed.

Robert Mangold was the artist I thought was most concerned with the process of creating the work. From start to finish, he was viewed carefully considering the elements of his composition. His attention to line and form was his most noticeable characteristic, with color almost becoming an afterthought. He had a pointed penchant for leaving negative space in the center of his paintings, claiming that, “In any normal painting, the center is like the main course. I want to take that away, and leave the viewer to make sense of the rest of it.”

Catherine Opie was the artist I thought was all about the creative element of her work. In one clip, I saw her arrange and rearrange at least several dozen photos of her work, which were all considered and then cut down to maybe a three or four piece collection. Her attention to “space” in that particular clip was noteworthy, and she stated that she wanted the viewer to have a place to escape to, for whatever reason they desired.

Sarah Sze
Very involved with materials. As a sculptor, she was very hands-on with the production of her artwork, though having many assistants. For Sarah, her work is more a ‘discovery’ than it is ‘art,’ and her material choices reflect that in an overt way. She elegantly plays with ideas of fantastically practical juxtapositions.

The people i watched were… sally mann, Elizebeth Murray, Paul Pfeiffer, Carrie Mae Weems, and Cai Guo-Qiang

I think that Elizebeth Murray surprised me with her art “bop”. She said that the when she hates it, it would “come together.” It confuses me because one would usually continue to make it more beautiful and genuine if it were beautiful to began with.

Sally Mann would be the most concerned with her work because there is such a rich background behind the photographs. So it is not only taking pictures, but it is going in depth.

Paul Pfeiffer would be most concerned with the creativity aspect due to the concept of his works. His works are out there. Videos that are literally just loops and tiny houses. His works are not the typical art, so his reputation kinda depends on his creativity

And the materials that Cai Guo-Qiang use are not only dangerous, but unpredictable. So the gun powder he uses are never a for-sure thing that will work.

List of artists you viewed

• Julie Meheretu

• Jean Jacques

*Liz Magor

Who surprised you the most: Ms. Meheretu surprised me with her political landscape art that she states her point with and her way of activism
Which

Artists I viewed:
CAI-GUO-QIANG
LAYLAH ALI
KRZYSTOF WODICZKO
IDA APPLEBROOG
RONI HORN
JAMES TURREL

Who surprised me the most?

Krzystof Wodiczko, surprised me with the very innovative use of projection mapping, to create a social awareness or rather uprising. One of his particular works, on the Tijuana cultural center, moved me deeply.

Which artist was most concerned with the process of making the work.

I think Laylah Ali was most concerned with the process, right from examining human behavior, the onset and outcome of violence. Her study and ‘precise note making’ documentation method speaks about her involvement and inclination to understand the process, rather than the final outcome. The way her work transfers to another medium from one, namely the live human acts, is an interesting study to where a process may transfigure into in the subject’s own versatility.

Which artist was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself.

James Turrel , in his exploration of the ethereal qualities of light, speaks about artists trying to ‘Add’ in their artworks. This is precisely, what he avoids in his artworks. He rather explores the existing and tries to bridge between to existing realms. His ‘Roden Crater’ project gives us a vision beyond expectation, of what already is existing in front of us. He just re-frames it for us, in a way, redefining the concept itself.

Which artist was most concerned with materials.

Cai-Guo–Qiang is constantly exploring the ‘aesthetics of pain’ as an objective approach to variety of subjects. While in his explosion art series, he is trying to hover/romanticize upon the patterns of uncertainties, in many of his installations, past reflections of childhood in shaping up of perception is apparent. The hanging airplane with confiscicated items from airport is a classic example of how he is primarily exploring visual definitions of objects/materials in defining his subjective matter.

Discussion Topic 4: Art21

1.) Ai WeiWei
Out of all the artists, Ai Weiwei was the one who most impressed me. He actually risks his life for his art and inspires others while doing it.
“Creativity is the power to reject the past, to change the status quo, and to seek new potential.”

2.)Catherine Opai
She likes to photograph things that people don’t necessarily want to see. She thinks of some of her works as documenting the time we live in.
Out of all the artists she certainly surprised me the most.

3.) El Anatsui
He likes to take things that people have used for some purpose and reuse them as art.
He seemed more concerned with the process than the finished piece.

4.) An-my Le
She takes photographs in black and white. She likes the way it looks because it reminds her of sketches.
She seemed the most concerned with the material of her photographs.

5.) Alfredo Jaar
He was the most concerned with the creativity in a piece.

The artists I viewed were Natalia Almada, John Baldessari, Abraham Cruzvillegas, Minerva Cuevas, and Shanzia Sikander. The artist that surprised me the most was probably Natalia Almada because her concept was one that I had not been exposed to before. Her work was coming from the perspective of taking memories and turning them into art in a visual manner that viewers could experience. I quite liked this concept and her process for collecting and portraying the “memories” really made me as a viewer feel connected to the history she was trying to convey. She had to collaborate with many different people and one she spoke so highly of was her film editor and collaborator who helped her see from more than just an artistic viewpoint.

The artist most concerned with the process of making the work I feel was John Baldessari. He really took care in how he displayed his images and with what colors and shapes he would use to make the image take on an entirely new concept and idea. The fact that he wanted to merge words and images to create an entirely new “image” took thought and time to depict what he was feeling and thinking. The artist who was most concerned with creativity in the idea for their art or the work itself was Minerva Cuevas because her aim was to take on political activism by using symbolism and artwork as a collaborative piece to express her’s and many of the community’s views regarding politics. One such issue she often used was that of capitalism and its relationship to famine in her community. She used well-known industry advertising labels, such as Hershey’s and Del Montte, and reinvented those labels in a new and creative way to demonstrate how capitalism was affected those who were poor or not as well-off in society. It is not a glamorous or well-paying career but it is what she feels passionate about.

Abraham Cruzvillegas was very concerned with the materials he used in creating his artwork. He wanted to symbolize the frugal characteristics, the inventive characteristics of his culture and his community by showing how he could take seemingly scrapes of materials and turn them into something new and different that speaks to the viewer. He stated that he would often go to demolition sites to find materials that had been left abandoned and turn them into sculptural art forms. He wanted to show that his people would take whatever they could and make it work for them in their lives. Nothing was ever not good enough to be used and given a new purpose.

I also wanted to mention a bit about Shanzia Sikander because her artwork really spoke to me personally on a more spiritual level. Going back to what I wrote about in an earlier discussion, as art being a form of therapy for me, Sikander’s artwork for her was a form of spirituality and finding answers to her spiritual questions and being able to share those answers to viewers. I did not have to be the same religion as Sikander to feel a spiritual connection to her work. To me, that is what art is and I am grateful to be able to accompany art in this manner.

I viewed artists Diane Thatcher, Damian Ortega, Elliot Hundley, Kerry James Marshall, Brian Jungen, and Chris Ware.
Diane Thatcher seemed to be most concerned with the material. Her artwork has to do with experiencing another kind of consciousness through the animals she captures on video. Her aim was to have the viewer feel this in their body by putting them in these disorienting spaces that takes them out of themselves. Her art installations rely heavily on space and time, making film and the chambers it is projected onto integral to her art.
Damian Ortega was most concerned with creativity. He stated he did not get along well in grade school, and left to see what a university would be like and he found it boring. He then proceeded to team up with a local artist and start an artist’s collaborative. Curiosity and play are the motivations behind his works, which vary according to his latest interests or ideas.
Elliott Hundley was most concerned with the process. His works start as paintings on foam core, he then adds collage, then he has assistants carve and embroider the work. He states that this process forces him to relinquish control, which allows the artwork to respond to him, gives him something back and becomes something he never expected.
I was surprised by several artists: Kerry James Marshall, Chris Ware, and Brian Jungen. They all seemed very humble, family and personal experience was a major influence, and they had beautiful, unique artwork. I admit that part of the reason I was surprised is because they were so relatable as people.