ARTH101 Discussion Topic 4: Art21

arth101

As I live in England, I was unable to watch the videos mentioned in the course. However, I did watch videos by the BBC called “What do Artists do all day” and specifically on Tracey Emin and Edmund de Waal.
Both artists surprised me. I know Tracey Emin only from the famous “Unmade bed” display and not really impressed by it. However, in the video she was working on an exhibition in conjunction with Edgar Schiele’s work and I found it very interesting how his work inspired her and greatly improved her artistic abilities, according to me.
On the other hand, I had read the book “The Hare with the Amber Eyes” by Edmund de Waal which I loved and was very curious to see his ceramics. However I was very underwhelmed with it. I also listened to a podcast where in he was interviewed and was not at all impressed by him as an artist or as a person.
I would say Tracey Emin was most concerned with the process of her art making, the creativity of her art and really concerned about the materials she used, i.e. the sort of paint she would handle.