ARTH101: Unit 5 - Discussion Topic 9: Film Study

The film industry is a major part of the economy and, like other artistic mediums, it reflects and anticipates the culture surrounding it, although Hollywood arguably has a culture all its own. Now, independent films (those made outside of the big Hollywood studios) are having a larger effect on audiences because they can examine themes and ideas beyond what the big studios decide to finance.

• How often do you see a film?
  • Do you view films in a theatre or on other digital media?
  • What kind of films do you like; human interest stories, action films, romances, fantasy or animation?
  • What are your thoughts on film’s role to entertain and inform?
  • What is your favorite film? Why?
1 Like

How often do you see a film?

I watch films about once a week but would certainly watch more if there were more high
quality films available.

Do you view films in a theatre or on other digital media?

Both. It really depends on the film. When a major motion picture such as Titanic or The Great Gatsby comes out, I prefer to watch it on the big screen in order to have a more immersed viewing experience. For most other films, I prefer to watch them on my HD television set from an HDMI connection to my computer. In other words, I prefer to either download or stream a digital movie to watch. The main advantage is that I can pause it when I like and “rewind” to watch a scene more than once if I didn’t properly hear or understand it. In addition, I may be able to keep a “hardcopy” of the film to watch it again in the future if it was a particularly good one.

What kind of films do you like; human interest stories, action films, romances, fantasy or animation?

I most like the Drama, Horror, Suspense, and Historical Fiction genres but also often indulge in the occasional Documentary style of film.

What are your thoughts on film’s role to entertain and inform?

I think the main role is to carry the viewer into another, unknown, world through the eyes and perspectives of the film’s characters as well as through its time and place settings. People want to be distracted from the mundaneness of life. And what better way than to become immersed in a new world where the unexpected is expected? Through a film we can learn about ourselves. As our thoughts and emotions may be placed on a roller coaster ride when watching a film our own views and beliefs can become questioned and even changed, especially if the filmmaker (and mostly the screenwriter of course) did a good job. That is the power of film. Unlike other visual art forms, film has that certain je-ne-sais-quoi x-factor that makes it extremely powerful.

What is your favorite film? Why?

This is such a difficult question to answer because there are so many. Moreover, my selection seems to change as I grow older and have learned more about the world. The one, however, that seems to stick with me is The Shawshank Redemption. I think the main reason being that: although we live in a very unjust world, eventually, justice will prevail in one way or another. Moreover, the film’s characters are spectacularly interesting. The film reminds us that in life, we must be even cleverer than the fraudsters and tricksters that mean us harm. Our brains and will are our most powerful weapons. The film gives everyone hope that they too can prevail in this harsh world.

• Dan Fournier, 2016-02-10

Probably once or twice a week
Mostly on computer or phone! Occasionally at the movie theater
What kind of films do you like; human interest stories, action films, romances, fantasy or animation?
I like documentaries and true stories the best.
I think that film gives us an amazing opportunity to entertain and inform.Videos can help inform the public and give more information than ever before.
My favorite film is the Titanic. I think it is timeless and tells an intriguing story while still portraying a historical event accurately.

I see a film about once a week. If not once a week, at least every other week.
I mostly view films on other digital media because I tend to rather be in solitude at home. I also can pause the film if I want to and come back to it. Once in a while, I will go out to a theatre to see a film if other people ask to go, and if a movie I really want to watch is out.
I really can like any type of movie as long as it keeps me interested, and has a good story. I really like movies that have meaning to them. Although, my favorite films are those of suspense, romance, and human interest.
I honestly believe the role of a film depends on the type of film it is. If it is an action, horror, suspense, fantasy, or animation, the role may be to immerse you into a totally different world and distract you from reality. If the film is a human interest, historical fiction, or romance, its role may be to send you a message or make you more emotional than other films.
Well lately I been into romance films and I would have to go between Dear John and The Notebook. They both keep me very interested and send a message about love in a way. They both involve two characters who are more opposite, yet they are in love. The characters go through something that separates them apart for a long time, but somehow in the future end up reuniting. When they reunite, they remember the love they had. They are both very sweet movies that can get your emotions going.

Growing up film has been a big part of my life. From watching Disney’s various animated films to watching everything from documentaries and mysteries to fantasies and romances, film has been there progressing and regressing in its ideas and artistic outlets. For the last few years, I have not been able to see films as often as I would have liked. My education and job have taken up a lot of my time, however, with my education completed for the time and a change in jobs, I have more time to dabble in things I enjoy including film.

I have typically enjoyed going to the theater to see a film as there is something so theatrical about going to a theater. In more recent years, with the rising costs in theater tickets and honestly, fewer films I am interested in, going to the theater has become less of a way to experience a film than watching it from the comforts of my home where the cost of popcorn is less than $3 for the entire box. I still enjoy seeing films in a theater, don’t get me wrong, but I also enjoy seeing a film at home either by myself or with family or a few friends. Amazon prime videos and Netflix have really expanded the way people can watch films and the number of films available for viewing, a downfall of the theater.

Much like my taste in music, my taste in film is also very varied. I enjoy watching human interest stories and documentaries although not as often as I enjoy watching action films or fantasy films. Romances are not usually at the top of my likeness pyramid, however, a good romance, or “love story” as I like to call them, can easily become my favorite if it is a solid story. My entire decision as to whether I enjoy the film or not is based almost solely on the story. If the story is a good one, or a solid one, then chances are I will enjoy it. If the acting is good, even better. If the visuals are also good, that is simply icing on the cake. My favorite film at this time is the 2004 rendition of Phantom of the Opera. Although it is a “love story,” it also has intertwined a story of mystery regarding the phantom and how Christine came to be at the opera house. I absolutely love how music and art are so tastefully displayed in the film and the black and white portions of Raoul as an older man reminiscing about the past which is portrayed in color is beautifully contrasting.

I believe that film can have various roles in our society. Not only does it entertain but it also informs by way of documentaries and historical renditions and captures the cultural or societal views of the time. For instance, the film Gone with the Wind gives us a look at what life may have been like during that time period and also portrays the views held by society during that time in American history. It also entertains the audience because of its story and the portrayal of the events that took place. Some films may simply be to entertain the audience. For instance, the film Jurassic Park was meant to entertain and has done so to the point of having an entire franchise existing because of it. Although if watched closely, the film can inform its audience of the consequences of using science for monetary gains and also can give some accurate pieces of information regarding the pre-historic dinosaurs.

All in all, I believe film has its place in society for many different reasons. It is society that can alter the way a film was intended to be used for various reasons and is up to the viewer to form an opinion for themselves regarding the film and whether or not anything from the film can be applied to his or her life.

Individuals will express that a specific motion picture had a decent plot or a charming story. What individuals are really alluding to is that they delighted in the characters, the issues/struggle the characters got into, and how the characters escaped the issues and strife.

Individuals love a motion picture since they like to watch characters/individuals. What number of individuals do you realize who like to go to the shopping center, square, or sea shore and express that they like to individuals watch? What number of individuals are nosey neighbors since they like to watch what is new with the individuals around them?

Individuals may jump at the chance to watch wrongdoing films or Westerns. They like characters inside this specific sort of story in light of the measure of activity or the timespan setting. Individuals may like Westerns since they wish they lived in the nineteenth century since it was viewed as an easier time.

We will start to examine the various sorts, and even the sub-classes, for certain kind sorts. I will give a theoretical case of each so you will start to perceive how various classes are shaped.

Remember with film type, the characters make the motion picture, and this term is clear enough that no clarification is required.

The story is the circumstance that the characters are in and attempt to escape, achieve, vanquish, or survive. The story has a start, center, and end. More dialog about those will be given in Chapter Three.

The plot is the framework or how the story is told. Recall when individuals express that they didn’t care for the plot? What they are alluding to is that they didn’t care for the story. I will allude this idea again and again all through the book.

There are just a predetermined number of plots as the plot is a general layout for a story, similar to vindicate. A specific plot portrays how a story will start, create, and end. This sort of story will have an unexpected organization in comparison to a plot, for example, man against nature or man versus the legislature.

Moreover, as we progress through kinds, we need to analyze how the class components change.

You will have the option to see that the foundation and activities of the characters change as the kind of stories are unique. The setting is reliant upon the story, yet the plot continues as before.

I need to pressure that we are experiencing the various classifications so character and story advancement can be seen for every one of the class as opposed to simply giving a general outline of the term sort. I need you to perceive how just certain components are contained in a class, and different components outside of character, story, plot, and setting are not part of deciding a classification.

good comprehensive description

I watch movie once or twice a week. I like to attend special events at movie theater for international movies (eespecially asian) and silent movies ( I love old mute animation).
I like romantic movies and comedies. Sometimes i watch short documentary on DW or BBC. My favourite movie is Pulp Fiction. I like the photography, the bright colors and the storytelling, rather than the story itself.

1 Like

i watch a film everyday.usually I watch a film on my personal home television that’s connected to Netflix and PLEX.I LIKE SCIENCE FICTION MOVIES.A FILM’s role is entertainment by the narrative or the relatability, and informs by displaying what currently looks good, and what can look good, and be done in the future. My favorite movie is Prometheus.the movie is futuristic, dreamy , and scientific.The narrative is about human evolution and the setting is in space with a planet and space travel involved by a spaceship

1 Like

Every day, I used to watch movies from Netflix and other free movies online or YouTube. I sometimes go to a movie theater which I like the most because it has a big screen, very clear and interactive, and emotionally engaging. Films can be heartbreaking, and breathtaking, it gives an intense emotion, depending on the type of movies you watch since everything is realistic by its nature. I am interested in watching action films, human stories, or romance, but occasionally on fantasy or animated movies. I like stories that thrilled me, but not horror movies. My thoughts on the film’s role are for entertainment, gives a relaxing mood, especially watching comedy movies. It also gives me interesting ideas about people, their lifestyle, food, and culture, around the world, depending on what country it was filmed. There are interesting movie shows that gave me lessons of true to life stories (it moves me and gives a positive impact on my life). Movies that open ideas about hiding secrets, tactics, evidence, how to escape, or how to save your life during terrifying and survival situations on a catastrophic event; like the film "The Day After Tomorrow "; “2012”; The Impossible, and many created films. Movies also gave ideas to travel to another time, dimension, and unknown places, like the “time machine” movies. I don’t have a favorite movie, but I like all that entertained me and gave me a satisfying story, and action that relieves my emotion, to be relaxed, then that would be a good movie for me. But what I like the most, not my favorite, is Musical dance-drama film, with its realistic stories of how one obtains success in their passion for the God-given talent.

1 Like

I see a film almost whenever I have time.
I watch films both in a theater and on digital media.
I enjoy comedy, action, romance, and documentary.
I think a film’s role to entertain and inform is great. It keeps the audience interested and it does a great job at making people feel connected with themselves as they watch it.
I have so many favorite films. Some are Titanic, Avengers: Endgame, and Fast and Furious 7. I love Titanic because I love romance and the story was touching thanks to the amazing acting. Endgame is actually my real favorite film because it was the end of a childhood. It was the culmination of years of movies coming together and I will never forget it. Fast and Furious 7 is my 2nd favorite film because I love cars and the action and comedy was amazing.

1 Like

I see a film every week. Currently Im viewing films on Netflix. I like thrillers, suspense movies, mysteries, comedies and romance. Films not just give information, but also provide new insights on difference points of views, thoughts and locations. They dramatise situations to leave a profound effect on the viewers. They entertain by creating life-like situations and also many a times using imaginative powers to make sci-fi come alive using new and innovative effects. The effort that goes into making films is tremendous and a huge team work. My favourite film is The Kingsmen. It is a great movie that entertains and used amazing special effects.

1 Like

How often do you see a film? Just rarely
Do you view films in a theatre or on other digital media? Very rare in the theatre, mostly on different devices such as phone and computer.
What kind of films do you like; human interest stories, action films, romances, fantasy or animation? I like just about anything.
What are your thoughts on film’s role to entertain and inform? It is a great role, Films gave a lot of effort in terms of the actors, the scenes.
What is your favorite film? Why? Wall-E, it is a futuristic cartoon animation, a future not really that far away from us.

1 Like

I like animated action adventure films but there not really to learn but sometimmes of you really look at it they teach you a life lesson

1 Like
  • How often do you see a film?
    I watch a film usually once to twice per month. However because of corona virus I have not watch a film for a long time.

• Do you view films in a theatre or on other digital media?
    I prefer watching films in a theatre because it is a kind of leisure for me and my friends. Also, theatre gives a better environment for the motion and emotion cause by the film.

• What kind of films do you like; human interest stories, action films, romances, fantasy or animation?
    I like documentary and human interest stories, especially some local films because my motherland Hong Kong was a great place to give many action Kungfu films, but however is now fading. Hong Kong film is changing in style and nowadays focus on human interest.

• What are your thoughts on film’s role to entertain and inform?
    Some films are more into entertainment and some is into information. For example, heros movie and cartoon are more in entertainment. Some of the films shows art values more and some of them focus in some real world society problem. I think film as a new media has many different roles as it is more attractive compare to essay and more informative compare to traditional art.

• What is your favorite film? Why?
    Ten Years (2015 film) by Ng Ka-leung, Mandrew Kwan, Jevons Au, Frankie Chan, Andrew Choi
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Years_(2015_film)
    It is only 5 years after the film, it already becomes true in Hong Kong. Talking about different social events and phenomenon, this film is like a prophecy. So this film to me is not just for entertainment but also the thought for us to our motherland.

2 Likes

I rarely watch films purely for leisure purpose, I watch educational documentaries or ‘works of art’ films more often, but no more than a few per month.

I believe a theatre is more for the immersion experience and is an activity best carried out with friends in a social setting; as I like to study the things I watch and link in real-life references, I prefer to watch at home where I can pause, play and rewind. Also, I like to watch a lot of independent media found on YouTube and such, that isn’t displayed in the theatre.

What kind of films do you like, human interest stories, action films, romances, fantasy, or animation?

I do have high regard for animation because I can appreciate that art form a lot more than acting, I particularly enjoy films such as the Studio Ghibli, not only because they have better morale (plotline) than a lot of western cartoons, but because many of the scenes and backgrounds were hand-painted and the characters are drawn into animation rather than a lot of CGI, greenscreens and after effects, which are doubtless an art form in themselves, but a lot easier to manipulate. I also like mythological stories based on reality, and for pure entertainment, horror, or mystery movies.

What are your thoughts on the film’s role to entertain and inform?

I think films have a lot to live up to because books are more open to interpretation but films give you a direct reality to perceive in your mind, and a lot of popular fictional franchises have expanded into the world such that some peoples’ lives are dedicated and surrounded by this fictional world, it’s a part of who they are – so I think those who make and produce these films have a high level of responsibility for what they create, films can be very influential as they present a direct alternate reality. Even non-fiction documentaries have a profound impact on the viewer, due to how television presents information similar to how you would view it in reality.

What is your favourite film? Why?

Hard to say as I haven’t watched that many, and as I change and develop and grow, so does my taste in entertainment and media; probably my favourite would be someone between the animated Journey to Agartha and Avatar (2009 film) for the same reasons, they are closely tied with nature, lost cities and civilisations, which are, though entirely fictional, believable. The stories have real morals and fables behind them and are not just some kind of shallow fantasy like many popular franchises, which is something I have come to dislike. There seems to be a strong element of spirituality, art and creativity in these films which I greatly appreciate.

1 Like

I’d say I see a film once a week, I enjoy it the most at the movie theater, but watching from home is convenient. I’d say I watch all type of genres,I also feel like movies don’t need either , they can inform or entertain it doesn’t really matter to me. And my favorite movie would be the good dinosaur, it is a very informal and entertaining movie.

I watch films at least once per week. Although I find it hard to make it out to the theater with three kids I had many pleasant experiences going to the movies as a child. Due to having less money and the Covid -19 Pandemic I spend most of my time at home watching films through streaming services. The films that I find to be most intriguing are suspenses and thrillers. Sometimes I like to watch comedies or fantasy movies to lighten my mood. However, I like all movies depending on how i’m feeling that day. I prefer films to either entertain me or inform me but not both at the same time. Both are important because people need to be informed about certain issues but I prefer it to be in an objective way rather than along the bias of the film maker. My favorite movies are always ones that make me feel good.

My favorite movie is Twister because it is a film that over the years I have watched again and again and it always brings me joy. I love movies that contain happy endings after a long adventurous road where the characters learn and grow. This movie hits all those marks for me.