Academy Home | Student Dashboard

BUS 206 - Cloud Computing

bus206

If you were running a small business with limited funds for information technology, would you consider using cloud computing?
Though Cloud Computing is a beneficial, useful, and cheap way of processing in information technology it comes with great risks in terms of security and not being able to monitor that security. When agreeing to use cloud computing the information that one puts on there is no longer in your possession since it goes out to someone else’s servers or computers for them to keep safe and monitor. With the advancement in technology that is occurring in society today, hackers and thieves are becoming smarter and smarter into stealing information from these types of clouds. This is the main reason that I would not run my small business by a cloud due to its liability issues.
The second main reason that I would not use cloud computing is because in order to use it one needs to have internet access in order to use this technology. Since it requires internet connection that is an additional cost since one would want to have a decent internet connection in order to have a good experience with cloud computing. This would increase the cost needed for the information technology piece. If the internet was down and one needed documents for something they could not access them or if the site was down then those documents are not on hand. Looking at both of these reasons would turn me away from using cloud computing as my main source for information technology.

Data Driven Decisions
When making decisions it is important to have lots of information or data on what the scenario is that I have to make a decision on. Having additional data on the various scenarios that I could experience would be beneficial and allow me to make better decisions based on this new information that I did not have before, such as if someone is lying to me or if I am make a life decision or financial decision. It would be great to have information or data that relates to those scenarios so that I do not regret that decision and do not need to worry about the possible repercussions.

When my Business Idea is at first to be considered small, not so important, and there are only small amount of employee, than I would consider using Cloud, so I cannot build an IT Department for my new small Business.

But after I am growing, and considering about Competition, idea is scared being steal, or worry about really important confidential data than I will build my Private Cloud, and make closed System only for our Company Employee and Company Supplier.

Than at the next Level, we can also Combined Hybrid Cloud and Offline Business Application. Offline for high computing Need from PC like CAD Application., and Online for data, text, spreadsheet, presentation, database application.

In this time of great advancement in the information system and its technology, we have advantages and disadvantage in the security and productivity that offers the saving of information during all type of companies or organization. But, having cloud computing is providing more of an advantage than a disadvantage, due to the level expediting the data and its level of security have been increasing, also.

In the past programs and applications from diverse software when it’s downloaded on a physical server in the same location with possible limited space and time consuming. but in cloud computing, allows us to access to the same kind of application via the internet.

the majority of companies are using cloud computer. for example, major banks use cloud computing and known social network like facebook and twitter use cloud for their productivity.

one of the main reason its flexibility when service remote in time productivity and serivice provide and advantage. also, provide the benefit of any sort of disaster recovery. the conventional way would sometimes be time-consuming but in cloud computing provide quick backup and updated recovery. also, cost expenditure and how much its save the high cost of hardware.

A Business New Daily article dated June 13, 2017 titled “Cloud Computing: A Small Business Guide” discusses important questions for the small business manager who is considering cloud computing as an option for their business. I manage a small CPA firm* and need to implement more stable systems for data storage and backup. If I were to go with cloud computing I would investigate what author Sara Angeles referred to as a “private cloud” in her aforementioned report. The security of my client’s financial information is critical. Therefore, cloud based computing may not be the best fit for my needs.

While backup and storage of data is essential equally important is protecting our customers’ accounts from anyone who may hack the cloud or the portion thereof that I may choose to use. This is especially relevant today, when server after server has been hacked. Think Hillary. Think Yahoo. So until I am completely convinced that a private cloud is a secure option I am unwilling to trust the security of my client’s information to another entity.

*Note: I created a scenario and am writing from that perspective.

Sources:

Angeles, Sara. 2017, June 13. Business News Daily “Cloud Computing: A Small Business Guide.” Retrieved from BusinessNewsDaily.com on 19 October 2017: http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/4427-cloud-computing-small-business.html

dinCloud’s Blog - Hosted Virtual Desktops. 2013 or 2014. "5 Reasons: Why Cloud Computing for Small Businesses. Retrieved from dinCloud.com on 19 October 2017:
https://www.dincloud.com/blog/why-cloud-computing-for-small-business

Small businesses need at least some IT to become successful, but creating a whole system would be difficult and costly. Cloud Computing has several advantages for small businesses in particular. It gives them greater flexibility, less initial investment, and a monthly or yearly cost based on use rather than infrastructure and more employees. Another significant advantage is flexibility. With cloud computing, employees can work online, away from the office, and even from personal devices. The flexibility here is especially important for small businesses, but cloud computing does introduce security risks.

Security is an important consideration when deciding whether or not to integrate cloud computing into a business. One one hand, if the right provider is used, the provider should have significant experience with security and specialized employees who manage their systems. They would also keep the systems updated regularly. However, there is third party risk. The business shopping for a provider for cloud computing should ask who would be responsible for a security breach. In addition to the provider, the businesses employees add a security risk if they use their personal devices for work. Their personal devices might not be as secure as their work computers.

Overall, cloud computing is extremely attractive to small businesses. Cloud computing provides flexibility in several ways, such as in infrastructure, and specialized employees, but it also introduces security risks. Perhaps a logical path would be an integrated approach, keeping the most confidential information on a local system and using cloud computing for other services.