Academy Home | Student Dashboard

BUS 206: Information Systems

bus206

Suppose that you had to explain to a member of your family or one of your closest friends the concept of an information system. How would you define it? Write a one-paragraph description in your own words that you feel would best describe an information system to your friends or family.

An information system is a set of components that make completing a task possible. Parts of the information system may include hardware, software, data, people and process. I will give you an example of telling your mom to pick you up from school. You (the person) use imessage (software) on your iphone (hardware) to send a text (process) that says “I am ready to be picked up” (data) to your mom (person).

I would describe an information system as the combination of its five basic components - hardware, software, data, people, and processes - and how they all work together to add value to a business or organization. For instance, I (person) use email (software) on my laptop (hardware) to communicate with key stakeholders within my organization. By doing this simple process multiple times each day, I am using an information system.

Information systems (IS) represent a collection of technologies, people, and processes that manage the information and communication resources of an organization. IS composes of interrelated components working together to collect, process, store, and disseminate information to support decision making, coordination, control, analysis, and visualization in an organization. It is use in our daily lives whether we know it or not. For example, Lamin wants to go with me to a party, he could use the following steps in information systems. Lamin (the person) used his phone (hardware) with the messaging app WhatsApp (software), to send me a text (process) that says “I would like to go partying with you tonight. Please let me know if you will be available.” The message here serves as a (data). All these components worked together to complete Lamin’s purpose of informing me about his desire to go to out with me.

When describing what an information system is to a friend or family member it would be best for me to start off by defining what makes up an information system, which is the user or the person using the system, then there are the applications that the individual uses to transmit data through hardware or software to carry out different tasks or relay messages to individuals. In order to complete the message they are trying to deliver they must go through this process to properly relay this message. Once my friend or family member understands these basic components of an information system, what would benefit them the most is examples of information systems and how they apply to every action that takes place, such as placing an order online from a restaurant or a company like Amazon or even how supermarkets and big businesses grow and become as large as they are. I feel that the examples I provide them would assist in teaching them about information systems.

Information system is a system made of five major components.
1.Hardware
Hardwares are physical devices that helps you to write the commands and get the hardcopy.for example,keyboard ,Monitors etc
2.Software
Softwares are to command the hardware what to do.How Function etc,for example.windows and microsoft office,notepad etc
3.Data
Is the collection of Information that are made by softwares.which are readable and use to have the details about particular subject or software it self.
4.People
People are consists of those who are able to use both software and hardware together to have a certain outcome.
5.Process
Process is the way how to perform something with the help of software and hardware together to achieve certain outcome out of it.
In this five major component there is another hidden small components that joins together and makes it work in systematic manner that provide and share the information to achieve certain goals.for example.networking,server,clients etc

Dear parents,

To understand what an information system is, you first need to know the five major components. Three of them fit into a technology category and the other two involve us, people. Basically information systems are made up of different components that work together to provide value to an organization. The first component is hardware. The hardware, well its the physical part of technology. For instance, the computer, keyboard, etc. The second is software, and here is nothing tangible, a set of instructions that tells the hardware what to do. The third is data. Basically, a collection of facts that are aggregated and organized together into a database. Organizations use all kind of data to make decisions. The other two have nothing to do with technology itself. People is a very important component for an information system to be successful. The last is the process. The steps undertaken using all the aforementioned information to reach a certain goal.

While information systems may differ in how they are used within an organization, they typically contain the following components:

Hardware: Computer-based information systems use computer hardware, such as processors, monitors, keyboard, and printers.
Software: These are the programs used to organize, process and analyze data.
Databases: Information systems work with data, organized into tables and files.
Network: different elements need to be connected to each other, especially if many different people in an organization use the same information system.
Procedures: These describe how specific data are processed and analyzed in order to get the answers for which the information system is designed.

David Bourgeois’ Information Systems for Business and Beyond: “Chapter 1: Exercise 3”

Supply Chain for logistics and information system
Supply chain management is the systemic, strategic coordination of the traditional business functions and tactics across these business functions - both within a particular company and across businesses within the supply chain- all coordinated to improve the long-term performance of the individual companies and the supply chain.

In a traditional manufacturing environment, supply chain management meant managing movement and storage of raw materials, work-in-progress inventory, and finished goods from point of origin to point of consumption.

It involves managing the network of interconnected smaller business units, networks of channels that take part in producing a merchandise of a service package required by the end users or customers.

Supply Chain Management or SCM:

SCM consists of:

operations management

logistics

procurement

information technology

integrated business operations

An information system is an organized integration of technologies, people, and procedures that is directed to maximize productivity, profitability, or some measure of success. Information systems are used in multiple environments and disciplines throughout business, education, military, government, and so forth. These information systems treat technology as a tool. Technology is a means, and not an end of itself. In an information system, people bring processes and technology together to accomplish a desirable outcome.

prime example:

E-commerce like Amazon,

I would explain information systems to my family and friends by first explaining what makes up an information system. An information system is made up of technology (hardware, software, date and even communication now), people and processes. With all of this combined, makes up an information system. We are trying to get information from one person or one hardware, such as a computer or phone to another person or hardware. For example, when you wake up in the morning and go to turn off your alarm, the clock is a piece of hardware, the software in the clock is the chip that programs it and the time, music, or even radio is the data that is output when it is time for the alarm to go off. It is the information that is given to us via the chip (software) in the clock (hardware). You waking up and hitting the snooze button, are now giving the alarm clock data and telling it either, wait a little longer or okay i’m getting up. Everything around us now a days is a information system. I would go on giving multiple examples and situations in which an information system is used and how companies thrive on information systems.

Information Systems are Made up of five diffrent parts witch are 1.Hardware 2.software 3.People 4.Data 5.Processes.Each contributing to Data management hardware bing the physical mass that operataes. software being the digital data telling the hardware what to do, People being the programmers IT people and others, Data being the data that is being managed and Processes the processes that are being runned.

An information system are combinations of hardware, software, that people use to create and distribute useful data. There are five components to Information Systems. There is hardware, software, data, people and, processes. An example of this is you listening to music. You (people) use a music app (software) on your mp3 (hardware) you look up a song (process) and the song starts to play (data).

An information system is the way technology (think hardware, software, data) people, and processes interact in business environment. It’s the way individual pieces of information are collected, organized, controlled, communicated, and distributed to create change, accomplish tasks, and generate profits. It’s a series of interrelated information pathways, not unlike those in the human brain, influenced by globalization, accurate information, timeliness, and human interactions among other factors. Take away or tamper with one of the five components, disrupt communication, for example, and the entire system breaks down. Simply put, without fully functional information technology systems businesses and schools quickly fail and deteriorate.

Suppose that you had to explain to a member of your family or one of your closest friends the concept of an information system. How would you define it? Write a one-paragraph description in your own words that you feel would best describe an information system to your friends or family.

I would explain information systems as systems used to relay information. It consists of hardware, software, data, people, and process. Hardware is the most common because most people think of the actual computer that relays the information.

Information systems are made up of five components: hardware; the physical components of the technology, software; instructions that tells the hardware what to do, data; information compiled through the software, people; programmers, IT techs, etc, and process; the steps it takes to reach an end result or goal. Information systems take data and turn it into information which them transforms the data into organizational knowledge that businesses use to better themselves.

An information system comprises people and devices necessary for the acquisition of information, it’s processing, storage and subsequent retrieval as well as it;s transmission. It has it’s primary components as hardware (all the devices that can be touched or felt. This includes PC’s, smart phones and the likes), softwares ( made up of operating systems and application packages, necessary for managing devices or hardwares and in accomplishing a particular task), Information (termed data: set of information that need to be processed), people (persons involved in the processing of information) as well as process (the steps, stages etc that needs to be taken to ensure that any given information or data is processed as is required).

Information are what person needs to have good knowledge in any field, this is the general term of Information, but in technology Information System is something new that we knew it in the final years after the discovery of technology, so what is it?
Actually Information System(IS) is basically contains of 5 compnents each one of them is important and necessary for a good IS.
1- Hardware: are mostly the physical computers and what they have how they work …
2- Software: It tells the Hardware what to do …
3- Data: It is the information manipulated by the Software.
4- People: It everyone who is envolved we can say they are the Users.
5- Process: Basically the process are the steps to accomplish goals.

the information system is the combination of its five components to achieve a goal.

If I had to describe information systems to a family member, I would start by defining an information system, which is just a person using the system, and the applications that that person uses to send data through software to complete different tasks. Once I’ve built this basic foundation of knowledge, I would move on to discuss how these systems are being used in every day instances, all around us.