BUS 206: Information Systems

bus206

Information systems is a time saver in business.

Information systems is an area of computing in business that focuses on five areas: hardware, software, data, people, and processes. Hardware includes all physical components of a computer, including computer parts and mobile devices. Software is what makes the hardware work and can include things such as operating systems and applications. Data is a collection of facts that can be analyzed to help a business run more efficiently and effectively, while people are the individuals who work on the various aspects of computing. Finally, processes are the steps that businesses take to solve a problem or reach a goal. Taken altogether, information systems is the study of utilizing technology to help businesses solve problems.

An information system is a collection of hardware, software, data, people, and processes used to meet a business need.

Information systems is the study of networks of computers software and hardware that we and organizations uses to collect, filter, organize, process, create, organise and distribute data.

An Information System is made up of five different components that work together to provide value to an organization. The five components include hardware (your cell phone, something tangible), software (Spotify, or the app you use to listen to music), data (your daily playlists are developed based on the data collected on the types of music you listen to), people (you), and the process of listening to music and sharing it with others or organizing a playlist.

The concept of information systems is very simple, as it only contains 5 components. Information systems include hardware (computers, cell phones, tablets, CPUs, etc), software (Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint, etc), data (account name, account number, etc), people (IT support, data analysts, Chief Information Officer, etc), and processes (how you achieve your goal, or the steps used to achieve your goal). These 5 components all work together to best benefit the organization.

For example, I (the person) use Microsoft Outlook (software) on my computer (hardware) to send an email (process) to my coworker (person) to meet me in the conference room (data).

An information system is a system that is used to distribute information. Its components are hardware, software, data, people, and processes. An example of an information system would be myself (the person) using Facebook’s messenger (software) on my computer (hardware) to send a message (the process) to my friend telling him/her “Hello, how are you today?” (data). This would be the use of an information system to communicate with another person.

If I had to describe an information system to a family member, I’ll use my mother for example, I would explain how each component works in conjunction to provide a service or relay information in a meaningful way. For example, I would tell her that if she want’s to see a picture of my wife and I on vacation, I could use my iPhone (hardware) to take a photo with the camera app (software application), open my messaging app to send her the photo (data element) and she (person) could receive and view the photo as the final step in the process.

All hardware and software components are part of an information system and users can’t handle requests without them. It helps to grow business with success.

Explaining the content of the information system of a relative, I would have started from the opposite of the consumer - the person who is interested in some data for the search. In order to do this, you need to send a specific text request to a particular terminal (tablet, laptop, mobile phone) using the appropriate software (google search, Amazon, youtube)

Quite clearly, an Information system is a system that provides us with information. Therefore, a system is anything formed of parts placed together or adjusted into a regular and connected whole. In general, a system consists of an input, a process of some sort and an ouput. A system has a boundary within which the system operates, and outside of the boundary is an environment. About the information systems, the input is the data that is stored; the process is in fact the series of processes to collate, store, extract, present and manipulate the data; the ouput is the information produced ; the boundary is the company or organisation that owns the information; the environment is the trading environment of customers, competitors,national and local economic climate. In its simplest sense, an Information System is simply a computer accessing a database and returning information derived from the database, in a form understandable and relevant to management.

An information system is a combination of different hardware components that are configured according to the specific requirements of the project involved. The configuration of the software take place according to the gathering of requirements that seeks to create new or copy existing processes that a company has in place that helps to manage the daily flow of information that enters the business which is it’s front end interaction with the customer, then following through the processes established on the information system in order to store such information in order to support the back end processes or what is called your administrative processes. So ultimately an information systems is a series of system/ software interfaces, the use of process specific documents, the flow of people to implement these processes and later on, analyzing and interpreting the inputted information and the extraction thereof to support decision making going forward.