BUS 206: Information Systems

bus206

Information systems is a time saver in business.

Information systems is an area of computing in business that focuses on five areas: hardware, software, data, people, and processes. Hardware includes all physical components of a computer, including computer parts and mobile devices. Software is what makes the hardware work and can include things such as operating systems and applications. Data is a collection of facts that can be analyzed to help a business run more efficiently and effectively, while people are the individuals who work on the various aspects of computing. Finally, processes are the steps that businesses take to solve a problem or reach a goal. Taken altogether, information systems is the study of utilizing technology to help businesses solve problems.

An information system is a collection of hardware, software, data, people, and processes used to meet a business need.

Information systems is the study of networks of computers software and hardware that we and organizations uses to collect, filter, organize, process, create, organise and distribute data.

An Information System is made up of five different components that work together to provide value to an organization. The five components include hardware (your cell phone, something tangible), software (Spotify, or the app you use to listen to music), data (your daily playlists are developed based on the data collected on the types of music you listen to), people (you), and the process of listening to music and sharing it with others or organizing a playlist.

The concept of information systems is very simple, as it only contains 5 components. Information systems include hardware (computers, cell phones, tablets, CPUs, etc), software (Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint, etc), data (account name, account number, etc), people (IT support, data analysts, Chief Information Officer, etc), and processes (how you achieve your goal, or the steps used to achieve your goal). These 5 components all work together to best benefit the organization.

For example, I (the person) use Microsoft Outlook (software) on my computer (hardware) to send an email (process) to my coworker (person) to meet me in the conference room (data).

An information system is a system that is used to distribute information. Its components are hardware, software, data, people, and processes. An example of an information system would be myself (the person) using Facebook’s messenger (software) on my computer (hardware) to send a message (the process) to my friend telling him/her “Hello, how are you today?” (data). This would be the use of an information system to communicate with another person.

If I had to describe an information system to a family member, I’ll use my mother for example, I would explain how each component works in conjunction to provide a service or relay information in a meaningful way. For example, I would tell her that if she want’s to see a picture of my wife and I on vacation, I could use my iPhone (hardware) to take a photo with the camera app (software application), open my messaging app to send her the photo (data element) and she (person) could receive and view the photo as the final step in the process.

All hardware and software components are part of an information system and users can’t handle requests without them. It helps to grow business with success.

Explaining the content of the information system of a relative, I would have started from the opposite of the consumer - the person who is interested in some data for the search. In order to do this, you need to send a specific text request to a particular terminal (tablet, laptop, mobile phone) using the appropriate software (google search, Amazon, youtube)

Quite clearly, an Information system is a system that provides us with information. Therefore, a system is anything formed of parts placed together or adjusted into a regular and connected whole. In general, a system consists of an input, a process of some sort and an ouput. A system has a boundary within which the system operates, and outside of the boundary is an environment. About the information systems, the input is the data that is stored; the process is in fact the series of processes to collate, store, extract, present and manipulate the data; the ouput is the information produced ; the boundary is the company or organisation that owns the information; the environment is the trading environment of customers, competitors,national and local economic climate. In its simplest sense, an Information System is simply a computer accessing a database and returning information derived from the database, in a form understandable and relevant to management.

An information system is a combination of different hardware components that are configured according to the specific requirements of the project involved. The configuration of the software take place according to the gathering of requirements that seeks to create new or copy existing processes that a company has in place that helps to manage the daily flow of information that enters the business which is it’s front end interaction with the customer, then following through the processes established on the information system in order to store such information in order to support the back end processes or what is called your administrative processes. So ultimately an information systems is a series of system/ software interfaces, the use of process specific documents, the flow of people to implement these processes and later on, analyzing and interpreting the inputted information and the extraction thereof to support decision making going forward.

An information system (IS) is like a restaurant. You have the PEOPLE managing, developing, and maintaining the IS like the waiters, manager, and chef who run the restaurant. Then, you have the cook books, menus, and guides which either provide a list of instructions which tell the people what to do with the physical restaurant, or offer useful information. Analogously, you have SOFTWARE which either tells the IT HARDWARE (e.g. the internal components of a computer or smartphone) what to do, or carries out some useful action (like adding numbers together). You also need DATA which is basically the information and facts like name of the client, appointment time etc. Finally, the people will follow some given set of tasks to achieve a goal e.g. the chef will follow instructions to cook the food. This is an example of a PROCESS which information systems also utilise.

An information system is a near sentient network of input and output, storage, processing and constant communication. It’s comprised of five components: Hardware, Software, Data, Processes and People. Hardware is the first thing we see when we step in a computer lab; Monitors, Keyboards, Webcams and the Towers that hold the brain of the computer; Hardware is our window into the greater world of computing. Software is the systems and processes by which the computer runs it’s day to day function. The two types of software are Operating System software such as iOS, Windows, or Linux that act as the framework for how a specific device functions as well as Application Systems software such as Microsoft Office and your average computer game that run off of the operating system. Data is simply digitized information that is sorted, categorized and referenced by software as well as human reasoning. Processes are the methods and protocol by which an information is run to maximize efficiency. People come in all types of roles in the industry from an IT help desk associate to a systems analyst to a software engineer and beyond.

An information system consist of five components working together to collect, store, organize and distribute data. These five components are hardware (which can be touched), software (not touchable), data, people and process. Hardware are physical devices, which we can touch like computer, cellphones, floppy disk, to name a few. Software tells the hardware what to do. Some examples are those that you use everyday such as Microsoft word and candy crush. Data is the information or collect of facts. people are everyone involved to make it happen, and yes that would consist of you. lastly, there the process which is an order of steps.

An information system is a system of hardware, which are the physical parts of a computer, Software, which is intangible and tells the hardware what to do, data which can be entered into the system, A process like organizing the data into a database, and a person who can manipulate the data, or use the data produced in the database. Say for example youre at a supermarket at the cash register, the scanner, the monitor and the keyboard are the hardware, the software if the application that the cashier uses to tally your bill, scanning your goods onto her screen and then getting the total is the process part, the data is the collection of items she gathered on her screen, the person is both you and the cashier herself.

I would explain an Information System as a set of many different machines/hardware gathering and using organisational data, and organisational departments/people who are configuring these machines and using the data in decision making in a way to maximise benefits for the organisation.

An information system is an organized, useful and efficient way of collecting, organizing, and communication information of some type of interest to others. An information system can consist of technology, manual capability, and, as well as oral and written forms of communication, or more than one of these forms in combination.

Information system is a set of components, expressed in technical appliences, hardware or software, which are organized in such a way that they serve same goal.

An Information System is a representation of how information is generated, organised, stored, manipulated and communicated. For example: a need is identified, an email is sent to a service provider to request a quotation to meet need, the request is logged on a software program and organised into a “To Do List” for a sales person to research and action - responds with a quotation which includes additional information and pricing indications.