BUS 206: Information Systems

bus206

An information system is an overly broad term to describe functionality of things in a technical age. Things like banking and doctor visits and even pumping gas are all examples of an information system - there’s hardware, software, data, people and a process all involved. From ATMs and gas pumps, to patient databases, nowadays nearly everything can be an example of an information system.

According to my understanding, Information Systems is a technological term that describes how information is handled. Five main components are used in the treatment of information which are:

1. Hardware: main material (computer) used to automatically treat information
  2. Software: application that tells the material (computer) what to do
  3. data: the pieces of information gathered
  4. People: Computer users
  5. Process: series of steps used to treat the pieces of information.
    In a nutshell, this is what information system is all about.

Information system is a set of tools/component that simplify the execution of tasks or duties at the office or home.

Information system comprises of Hardware, software, data, people and process that works in synchronization to accomplish desired target.

Example can be seen in the Smartphone (Hardware) to read and send E-Mail(Software) to/from clientele or colleagues in the office. This short example encompasses the components of Information systems.

In my own words, I would define information systems as a neccesary tool in our everyday lives not only in business. If we analyze the components, roles and benefits to us we would say it’s a necessity to man. Information system is basically technology, process and people. Technology which includes; data(information), hardware and software. Information systems helps businesses in manipulating data which can be inventory to improve it’s services or production capacity. Information is processed using computer through different software example; Microsoft office(Word, Excel, outlook, publisher) after processing this information it is then passed down to different departments or units which are then used to work.

Info systems involve different components that work together to drive value for an organization. The 5 components are hardware, software, data, people, and process.