BUS206 2.2.1: Cloud Computing chapt 3 exercise 3

If I am a owning a small business, I would certainly think of cloud computing as a serious option. There is many good arguments for this kind of solution, and most of them are really cost saving. The biggest one for me would be the IT cost that can be a lot improved. Sometime software can be really costly but more than that, having less people hours to put on maintenance, on backups on installation or updating things can really save time and money. You can even buy device that are less equiped because of the requirement being very lower.

There is also some advantage on having cloud computing, mobility. People can access everything from anywhere that an internet connection is available. Sometime only providing a good mobile service on a phone will let someone open a shared connection and give access to the net for almost everywhere. This mobility also open the possibility of giving the employees only working in the system, the possibility to work at home, saving working space that can also be costly.

Yes, I would consider cloud computing if I owned a small business. As I found during my research on this topic, cloud computing has potential to reduce costs, improve security, and grow my business. Another great benefit to cloud computing is the ease of collaboration with other businesses, vendors, suppliers, and most importantly paying customers.

If I owned a small business and had limited funds, cloud computing would seem most attractive to me because of virtualization. Cloud computing provides the space for virtualization. Virtualization is the process of using software to simulate a computer or multiple virtual systems. Having multiple virtual computers immediately reduces the cost of hardware. Having multiple virtual computers also increases my memory storage and data processing speed, so I would be able to handle growth better. Using cloud computing also reduces the risk of my business information being stolen or tampered with because the information is stored virtually rather than physically - the access is limited. Additionally, cloud storage is easy to exchange information with other businesses, vendors, suppliers, and paying customers since the Internet is the primary vehicle for communication exchanges - anywhere an Internet connection is accessed is a place for collaboration for my business.

If I were running a small business with limited funds for information technology, I would consider using cloud computing as long as the service provider was HIPAA-compliant and the services password protected. There appear to be several options, including Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive, that are more intuitive for me to use (Davidson, 2020). During this COVID-19 pandemic, online mental health services have become the norm requiring that most platforms adopt this approach to saving client information securely. If only to avoid litigations, cloud providers have beefed up security. I can now facilitate secure Zoom appointments and save my data in my Dropbox.

The is always an associated cost, but I cannot maintain an IT department, nor do I have the number of clients that would necessitate such an entire department. If I were developing an educational program with lots of student rotations, I might have to consider still having a service provider with IT services connected to them just if I have issues with my software.

All in all, the cloud solution allows you as a small business to get on your feet without being a financial burden. Cloud security continues to improve. The only work I have to do is to make sure I am using my desired provider’s cloud services properly for maximum benefit to my business and the safety of my clients’ privacy.

If you were running a small business with limited funds for information technology, would you consider using cloud computing? Find some web-based resources that support your decision. Explain your decision in at least two paragraphs. Hint: you can find materials about this decision by searching on the term “cloud computing for small business”.

If I were running a small business, I would definitely lean towards using cloud computing. At my current job, which is a small business within the education realm, we have a private cloud and use Office 365 to store anything we may do on our server. For employees that come and go, our administration can provide and eliminate access frequently, to maintain privacy. The only downside of this, is the lack of consistency with our wifi. When our internet goes down, we lose access to everything and after a short span of time, have to close for the day due to security issues. These problems, however, rarely occur, and are handled within the same day. In my opinion, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.