Academy Home | Student Dashboard

BUS208 Discussion | 2.1.3 Social Networking and the Workplace

bus208

###Reflect on the social networking article that you just read.

• Is social networking, as a business activity, part of your workplace responsibilities?

• Do you feel that personal social networking activities are conducted too much during the workday, distracting employees from their duties? Why or why not?

Share your thoughts on these questions below. This is a good opportunity to respond to what others have written and seek feedback on your own contribution to the discussion.

BUS208: Unit 2.1 Social Networking

Reflect on the social networking article that you just read. Is social networking, as a business activity, part of your workplace responsibilities? Do you feel that personal social networking activities are conducted too much during the workday, distracting employees from their duties? Why or why not? Share your thoughts on the discussion forum by clicking on the link above and creating a (free) account, if you have not already done so. Read the responses that other students have posted and post your own comments on the forum. Be sure to take advantage of this opportunity to connect with your peers and to receive meaningful feedback of your own.

I believe that social networking can become distracting to many people in the work place. The reasons why I say this because I had two high position managers who would sit at their desk using social networking rather than they did their work. I know this was true because I would go into the office and find these networks open constantly or see when posts were made. During the year, my co-workers and I would ask these people for help or we needed our breaks. Somehow what we asked or needed never got done in a timely manner. Work and other agendas seemed to be pushed back and never done. Follow through and responsibility became a huge issue with my co-workers and I because we got to the point to do everything ourselves without asking for help from our head managers. It became tiring and repetitive. I have seen how social networking has influenced people in a negative way.

I do think that social networking can have a balance to any business if used in the right way. I think it can help promote your business and gain trust with other corporations. Social networking is the new way for businesses to endorse their products and stay in business. We need to adapt to our societies’ changes, but not let it over take our duties and responsibilities.

It is not a question what is doing Social Network. Now a days only social Network is the big part of an Organizations Marketing Strategy.

Saeed

I do conduct social networking in my position. It is a crucial part of most businesses now. Prospective customers /clients research businesses online before making that initial contact. You need to use social media as a way to set yourself apart from your competition and share what your companies values and beliefs are. It can get distracting to employees but if you set perimeters around it and provide explanations it can be a benefit. Potential customers want an instant response. Employees need to be able to do that or your potential clients will go somewhere else.

Social Media has evolved into our everyday lives. From the moment we wake up to following and engaging the users of your company’s social media accounts. As a Marketing person I have to access business accounts which are set up to track the marketing of the social media activity. This is a task as well as developing strategies to attract an audience which can take time to create. In my type of work the employer has no choice but to understand that certain users may have to search online for their jobs. I found that some employers set restrictions on certain online content which can help avoid this ethical dilemma in the workplace.

Currently and historically social media has not been a cooperate responsibility for me. It’s been used, ineffectively, to promote my personal brand of ideas and beliefs. Facebook has been good for connecting to old friends and meeting new ones. It is good for a Friday night when I want to connect, in person, with like minded people. I feel it would be difficult for me to market any brand from my Facebook at this point as it does not demonstrate any professional credibility. As I am not classically trained in art, Latin or history I can not even be considered an expert in my area of interest, Esoteric Christianity. I am also disappointed to report that my social media usage has been sporadic and haphazard at the best of times. To utilize my screen time more effectively I will need to be more structured and organized with its use. Rebranding myself as an Management and Leadership Coach may take some time. Setting S.M.A.R.T goals as to the audience I would like to generate and followers I could educate would be a good place to start. Then I could begin to empower others with leadership strategies I’ve used in Toastmasters https://www.toastmasters.org/ Case in point, I’ve wasted too much personal and professional time improperly using social media.

Something I am hopeful about is LinkedIn. There I have good professional branding of work experience and education. The Saylor Academy enables it’s users who have registered to link their certificates directly to their profile. There are many grass roots people coming together with fantastic permaculture, hemp and other entrepreneurial ideas in my area. I see many opportunities for me to apply the P.L.O.C. framework.

Social networking is extremely import when done correctly and appropriately. Social media networking also gives the opportunity to grow on a global scale, it provides a gateway to a global market that otherwise may not be reached. It can be extremely distracting to employees depending on their workload and position within the company. Often, companies will have positions designated to social media networking and marketing. Obviously, smaller companies cannot always afford this luxury but it is key to monitor how effectively your employees are networking on social media sites.

Yes, it kinda is part of my workplace responsibilities.
Yes, social networking conducted too much workday and it is a distraction to the employees from their duties because the employees won’t be able to do their jobs properly they will be focused on social networking.