Academy Home | Student Dashboard

BUS208 Discussion | 2.2 - Theories of Management

bus208

Reflect on some of the theories of management that you have just explored.

Consider the management theories that are in operation in your own workplace.

• Do you believe that these principles are being effectively implemented?

• What other practices do you feel might be better suited to your work environment?

Share your thoughts on these questions below. This is a good opportunity to respond to what others have written and seek feedback on your own contribution to the discussion.

BUS208: Unit 2.2 The Theories of Management

Reflect on some of the theories of management that you have just explored. Consider the management theories that are in operation in your own workplace. Do you believe that these principles are being effectively implemented? What other practices do you feel might be better suited to your work environment?

In my lifetime, I left a few of my jobs because I did not feel like they were practicing the theories of management. From personal experience, in order to have a thriving company, you should implement one of these approaches into it. You many not agree with all of them, but you can always adapt and take what you want that best fits your business.

I have worked in many childcare centers, our state has very strict rules and guidelines for this industry. If I had to chose one of the approaches, I would pick Henri Fayol’s approach to administration. His five functions would work will in a childcare industry because you have to plan, organize, command, coordinate, and control everything from administration, classrooms, teachers, children, and expectations. Working with children, we should be working as a team and be able to team teach when interacting with parents, community, and our classroom setting.

As of right now, I have a new director in our childcare center. I am looking forward to seeing how she runs this business and what tools she offers to her employees. How will she run this business differently than all the rest that I have worked at?

In my current job, I can see the theories being implemented once we got a new manager. The manager and I have spent a lot of time looking at our current processes, and trying new things and improving our production workflow. So far its been a big success as our department had always been the bottleneck in the production process, and now we’re one of the faster parts.

Other practices that we could use improvement on is the communication between shifts/management. We’re currently working with the employees to get their feedback on how they’d like to get information, where they’d want to find it at, and then we’ll be following up with them to see how the changes have been.

Being the sole manager of the business I work for I feel like most times I follow the Laisser-Fair model. Mostly because I have been working with the same people for many years and I have developed trust in them over the years and their performances, that they take their jobs seriously and want the company to succeed. I do include them in decisions, since most of the time they will be the ones implementing them. I don’t want them to say “what does she know she isn’t on the front line”. I want them to be happy at work, feel like they are treated like the adults they are and are trusted with their responsibilities and feedback and their opinions count. Think that is why I haven’t had to hire anyone in a very long time. However, in any business, there are times where you do have to be Autocratic.

So many managers fail because they haven’t adopted a management style that is the most effective amongst the employees. My current manager has adopted the behavioral theory because he has a better understanding of human behavior at work, such as motivation, conflict, expectations, and group dynamics, improved productivity.

Every workplace is unique and it is safe to say that ours utilizes a combination of management practices. The two approaches that stand out the most in my work environment are Laissez Faire and Human Resources. The freedom and sense of autonomy is fun. My foundational attitude towards my future is “If it is to be, it is up to me.” Self-governance allows for the creative expression of ideas and their implementation. The drawbacks, in my case, come from ambiguity. There are many grey areas in the Job Description and I find myself being frustrated by the constant “go with the flow” mentality. I’ve generally solved these problems with on the spot fixes. I’m beginning to realize that a clear and concise systems of organization and decision making help me to get my head around problems that have no black and white answers. There are better ways to get things done. Self assessments are necessary for me to measure growth. Constantly adapting to each new situation is not the most efficient way to get things done. There doesn’t seem to be much hope for the Bureaucratic Approach in this environment.

The main factor in my commitment is that I feel valued as important and I see my self as a Human Resource. The self-care of my body and mind are important so I make them a personal priority and hope others do as well. In doing this I see the value in others and give them the dignity they deserve so they can do their jobs well. I assume everybody around me wants the best for themselves and the organization.

Yes, i believe that these principles are very effectively implemented.
The other practices should be the manager should consider the idea of each employee.

I can see through my experience in both banking and industrial (automobile manufacturing) sector that the principales of management are more or less badly implemented. There is a serious problem in the way that emplyees and managers communicate; managers are making promises they don’t keep, they’re not helping employees learn and grow so they may feel stuck and unnoticed because they’re never recognized. We can see the 80s model in this sort of organizations that is still being implemented: Employees start to leave, lose quality employees,…etc, it’s a decisional way “top-down”, pyramid ou hierarchical management!! We need to adopt another way of management especially the one that takes into account the principales of accomplice management that treats the actual principales of management whether it is hierarchical or transverse (cross-functional) management in a way that we need to give wings to employees that want to get higher levels in sucess and therefore to achieve the organization’s goals…