BUS208 Discussion | 5.1.1 - Delivering Happiness

bus208

Reflect on the article that you just read on workplace happiness.

Consider the following questions:

• Are you happy at your job?

• If not, what is preventing you from finding work that is more satisfying?

Share your thoughts on these questions below. This is a good opportunity to respond to what others have written and seek feedback on your own contribution to the discussion.

BUS208: Unit 5.1 Happiness at work

Reflect on the article that you just read on workplace happiness. Consider the following questions: Are you happy at your job? If not, what is preventing you from finding work that is more satisfying?

A few years ago, my friend and co-worker told me that in this generation people will have about an average of 10 jobs before they are settled at one job. I could not believe what she said to me. Guess what? I am at my 8 job in the last 13 years. Some of my jobs ended because the transitions were changing for the families I was working for or I moved.

Many of my jobs, I am still working in the field with early childhood education, but the dynamics or job description has changed for me. Management, career goals, and finances have been the main reasons why I have left the companies I have worked with. Today, I work in two early childhood education jobs. I am a lead preschool teacher and a floater who works with ages 2 to 12 years. I love my jobs right now. I feel appreciative and have my opinions addressed and listened too. Our team teaching is going well in both places.

I have goals at both places for now and learning a lot from both of my directors. I gaining more insight about running an early learning center and program. I will see what happens in the next few months to a year after I graduate. Maybe more doors will open for me.

My desire to do well and make others happy plays an important role in my happiness at work. If I don’t feel appreciated or valued I wont feel comfortable. I will also not likely have the motivation to do well as well at my job or socialize because I would have already checked out in my mind.

After I’ve read the articles about Hsieh it made me realize and change a lot of my perspective. I’m only a student yet, I don’t have a real job but I have obligations and work that’s need to be done. But sometimes when I’m not happy with what I’m doing I change my mindset and focus on the good outcomes and benefit I could get in order to keep me motivated.
I’m still young and I have so much that needs to learn. but as ive seen from my family when theyre not happy with jobs I think what prevents them from finding other work that is more satisfying is that they are afraid to take risk and change.

I am still a student and so I do not have a real job yet so I cant really say anything about my jobs and the happiness I derive from it. I am still learning and I still have so much to learn.

But one thing I think makes people stay at jobs they don’t derive happiness from is fear.
Fear of the Unknown especially.