BUS208 Discussion | The Big Five Personality Test

bus208

###Reflect on the Big Five Personality Test that you have just explored.

• What type of personality do you believe defines your individual preferences?

• Do you feel that your personality style has changed over time based on your experiences?

Share your thoughts on these questions below. This is a good opportunity to respond to what others have written and seek feedback on your own contribution to the discussion.

BUS208: Unit 1 The Big 5 Personality Traits
BUS208 - Big Five Personality Test

I think that my personality is Agreeableness. this is because i am a nice and caring person. I am kind to people and a easy person to talk too. I am pretty good at getting along with people that i just met. I use to not be very nice or easy to talk too. Things have changed and i have become a nicer person over the years.

As I read the required reading on the Big Five I realized I am all of them and that I am mostly balanced so I am neither too much to the left nor too much to the right. This was an interesting reading, an eye opener for me at least.

Read this article and think about what, if any, personality tests are conducted by your organization. Have you taken a personality test, or given one to others? Do you believe that the five personality traits discussed in this reading accurately portray human beings? Why or why not? As society advances and new technologies impact our lives, will our personalities adapt and change? What about the possibility of individuals displaying different personalities based on their form of interaction? For example, will introverts feel more comfortable expressing themselves in an online environment? What other personality characteristics will be impacted by the use of technology.

After taking my personal trait test, my score came out to what I expected. I have taken one of these tests before and I know my personality very well. Nothing has changed since I took my test many years ago.

I looked up my results, matched them with our readings, and some of the it I have to disagree. For example, extraverts do not perform well and take off more work than other people. Personally, I am so dedicated to my work, I do not take much time off because I do not get paid holidays and cannot afford taking it off. Furthermore, when I do take off work, it is for me not for my friends. I would feel guilty taking off work for my friends, especially if I did not get approved to do so.

Some of my other personality traits lined up exactly to what the book discussed because I am able to adapt and work with others. I am artistic and love to find different ways to solve the problem or situation. I believe there are different ways to solve a problem, but I need to find the best one for that situation or individual.

I would also have to say my personality tends to lean more towards agreeable, but I also think it can depend on the situation or the circumstances. I think as you gain confidence in an area, or your area of expertise grows some of your personality traits can also differentiate.

It seems like the more structured and organized a company has been the more conscientious and well behaved I am. Loosely ran companies have made it easy to curse, be tardy, or wear something more casual like the other coworkers. The problem is that these smaller mom and pop shops base their values on their social lives and if you don’t fit into their culture it can be tough to succeed no matter how valuable your personality is at a solid organization.

Unit 1 was vey interesting. Learning the O.C.E.A.N. personality traits and knowing yourself can give individuals a soft skill advantage in any work environment. Historically I have displayed neurotic tendencies that have detracted from my success and, sadly, possibly that of other people as well. The good news is that my awareness of this problem can bring about changes. After completing the Time and Stress Management certificate (also covered in BUS208) https://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=59 I am better abled to manage the things in life that are within my power to control. The emphasis this unit places on positivity is invaluable for people who may also experience neurosis.

Having openly stated my weakness It would only be proper to say something about my strong trait, conscientiousness. What ever it is I do I can stay fully committed to the end. Being organized helps keep me focused and on task. I like seeing the challenge or situation globally and then systemically orchestrate it to completion. This personality trait keeps me concentrated on achievement and I am highly motivated by free eLearning certificates… especially when they can lead to collage credits!

My type of personality is openness and extraversion.
Yes, i can say that my personality has changed over time based on my experiences.

My most defining traits are openness and agreeableness. I try to constantly broaden my horizons. I might not be the most artistic person, but I try to understand art the best I can, so that when I meet artistic people, I can talk about what interests them. I try to keep a broad knowledge of sports, current events, and interesting topics in order to remain open and get along with others well.

My greatest evolution in personality has assurably been conscientiousness. Coming out of High School, I did not see the value in organization, cleanliness, or structure. With each job I work, I learn the real importance of these traits, and how they can be the difference between success and failure, or profit and loss. Although I am not at the level I seek to attain, I know the level of concientiousness I need to achieve, so I am employing the tools necessary to achieve them.

I tried taking the test and I discovered that I have qualities from all with the highest score in openness and the lowest score in extraversion. I tried taking a test like this before and I had three different results because I took the test three different times. I just got my first job as an Intern and everyone seems nice but I prefer to keep to myself. Please are we required to take a particular test ? If yes please can we be provided with a link to the website so we can take the test? or can we just use any personality test we see online? because like I earlier said I took one before three times plus this one and the only thing they all have in common is that I am an Introvert.

So we all have different levels of the big 5 personality traits mentioned in this chapter. The “openness” trait is more dominant in my case. I am constantly on the look out for new, interesting information and I love learning. My co workers are constantly praising how quickly I get my job done. My usual reply is that I hate working hard, so I keep coming up with modern, better ways to do everyday tasks.

I do believe our personality change over time. One of the most important factor in that process, in my opinion, are the “influencers”, i.e. those people who are evidently efficient, nice to everyone, smart, and just seem to be a great human being overall. I’ve learned so much from them. My own personality became a mixture of positive traits that I absorbed from such people.

The following traits of characteristics have been recognized by the psychologists and researchers as the central personality’s dimensions’ of ours-

• Extraversion
  • Agreeableness
  • Conscientiousness
  • Neuroticism
  • Openness

These five traits happen to be the elements of the Theory of Big 5 Personality. After reviewing the theory, the trait that matches with me is conscientiousness. Individuals who are oriented towards goal and who display strong self-control measures are represented by this dimension. These individuals happen to be reliable, organized and methodical. These people are oriented towards detail and are regarded to be thorough and intelligent by others. This trait matches with my personal trait in a high manner. I did not find my personality changed overtime.

I have a tendency not to keep anything undone. A super organized nature is reflected in me. High conscientiousness rates are seen in me and my trait is associated with high self-control levels. Appearances matter to me a lot. Important dates are always written down, hairs are always combed, and shoes are always polished in case of a conscientious person (S3.amazonaws.com, 2019).

References

S3.amazonaws.com. (2019). The Big Five Personality Test. [online] Available at: https://s3.amazonaws.com/saylordotorg-resources/wwwresources/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Saylor.orgs-The-Big-Five-Personality-Test.pdf [Accessed 6 Aug. 2019].

The Big Five Personality Test has been quite informative as now I would be able to define my individual preferences. Of all the five traits, openness describes me the most. By nature, I am more adaptive towards learning new stuffs. My curiosity has driven me to join this course as I see myself as a good manager in the near future. Here, we meet different people, interact through discussion forums and gain new experiences. This is helping me to become a better person and also a good manager.
When I was a child, I could totally relate myself to the trait of neuroticism. During my school days, I was known as the most tensed and anxious kid of the class! I was always worried for my grades. Worried to such an extent, that at times I used to skip my lunch so that I can learn my lessons. The fear of failure got on my nerves and it is used to affect my family members too. I used to live in anxiety all the time and once it has harmed my health a lot. With the help of regular discussions and counselling of my parents, I calmed myself and shifted my trait to openness.

References:
S3.amazonaws.com 1. (2019). The Big Five Personality Test. [online] Available at: https://s3.amazonaws.com/saylordotorg-resources/wwwresources/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Saylor.orgs-The-Big-Five-Personality-Test.pdf [Accessed 6 Aug. 2019].

Hi,

The post was a good read. It is good to know how you have adapted yourself and changed your trait to agreeableness. It is always good to have a person around us who is nice and caring. I am more towards the trait of openness. Looking forward for more discussions!