Academy Home | Student Dashboard

BUS402: Unit 3 Discussion Questions

bus402

Consider responding to the following questions by posting your response on the course discussion board for BUS402. You may also respond to other students’ posts.

1. What characteristics should an effective project team have?
  2. As a project manager, what challenges may you experience when you manage your team?
  3. When conflicts occur in your project, what strategies would be helpful for you to manage project conflicts?

1A; Project integration techniques, time management, risk management, technical expertise etc.

2A: As a project manager, I experienced many challenges mostly time and resources point of view. At the time of project initiation we proposed project completion time but difficult to achieve due to environmental condition and some times social conditions. I mange the situation by past experience and resource management.

3A: It purely depends on severity of conflict and between individual / team. Most of the times I used to avoid .

1. What characteristics should an effective project team have?

For a project team to be effective, they need to have the following characteristics;

i). They need to be accountable for achieving specific common goals.
ii). They need to function interdependently.
iii). They need to stable.
iv). They have authority.
v). They operate in a social context.

2.As a project manager, what challenges may you experience when you manage your team?

1A; Project integration techniques, time management, risk management, technical expertise etc.

2A: As a project manager, I experienced many challenges mostly time and resources point of view. At the time of project initiation we proposed project completion time but difficult to achieve due to environmental condition and some times social conditions. I mange the situation by past experience and resource management.

3A: It purely depends on severity of conflict and between individual / team. Most of the times I used to avoid .

What characteristics should an effective project team have?

i. First, a team as a whole should must clear common SMgART objecives. Every member in the team should be aware of common goal, their business impact. The goal, the challenge these are what shall combine people in the team.
ii. In the second place, the leadership shall be qualified to drive the team to hit the goals.
The leadership must encourage people, support the trust, eliminate barriers allocating the right people and resources at the right time at the right place. It also incorporates the problem solving, team building etc.

iii. Third, the team must be intellegent having the appropriate level of hard and soft skills to achieve the team goal. In other word, there should be a high level of the Emotional Intellect (EQ) shown by every single team member and expertise in the subject matter. Despite the individual EQ the team shall show a high degree of common EQ - morale and accountability as a whole.
iv. Forth, the team should leverage the correct processes, continuously improving them (CPI) and support an open-minded culture so that every team member may contribute to enhance the processes, services and products.
iii. Finally, there shall be a stratigic leadership as well which could define future strategic direction of the teams, observe external opportunities and threats, deal with weak and strong facets of the team.

iii. As a project manager, what challenges may you experience when you manage your team?
Let me skip this question.

1. When conflicts occur in your project, what strategies would be helpful for you to manage project conflicts?
    i. First, sometimes it makes sence not to mitigate the conflict of the interests and let the things go faster so that the conflict manager might understand the real motives of opponents. After the getting sufficient information for further decision, manager shall elaborate an action plan. Thls strategy is called, Observe Orient Deside Act (OODA).
    ii. Second, the team and manager must follow a golden rule – no conflicts shoul be proccessed in public. Conflicts and low emotional degree between a few people may cause the decreasing degree of morale for the entire team or even for the entire organization.
    iii. As any issue and problem, the conflicts could be managed by involving a third-party unbiased facilitator in case if the opponents cannot reach a trade-off.
    iv. Conflicts between opponents could be escalated to the higher level of the hierarchy within an organization. But definitely this non-recommended approach since it is better to enhace your negotiation skills rather than to deteriorate your relationships with colleges.