COMM 41: Unit 1 Discussion

1.) How do the historical foundations of public relations apply to current day news?

I feel the historical foundations of public relations apply to current day news because just like Ivy Lee and Edward Bernays, the current news is still used to put a spin on the truth and to manipulate the public. For example, although there a ton of great things happening in the city of Memphis, the news only reports the bad and negative things so they can receive more views. They know the world feeds off of Drama so that is what they report. Another example is politics. We all know they lie and play dirty to make the other candidate look bad or discreditable.

2.) How might the role of public relations fit within a larger marketing campaign?

Public relations would fit into a larger marketing campaign because it would make the campaign more marketable. Public relations would help the campaign be able to reach more audiences and it would figure out what the consumer wants as well as what the campaign needs. It would be the strategic element of the campaign.

3.) How do you think developments of social media are impacting the field of public relations?

I think any form of advertising is good. It is helping to reach all and more audiences. It is a way of tracking the likes, shares, and mentions of a product or campaign. I think social media is doing more help than harm to the field of public relations.

Thank you for sharing your perspectives!