Academy Home | Student Dashboard

COMM 411: Unit 4 discussion

1. How might you change your approach to media relations based on the type of news outlet you hope to pitch (print, broadcast, online)?

The approach to print media would be very elaborate and speciifc. I would use a lot of descriptive and explanatory words and paragraphs and gaps to expand my writing and what i want to get acorss. I would approach the broadcast/tv media by using lots of images remembering that emotions deals a lot with marketing and PR. I would approach the online media by using a lot of bright ideas and catchy slogans. Online gives you direct contact with your target audience, so there needs to be something there that is an eye catcher.

1. What advice would you provide to a newsmaker who is about to be interviewed by a reporter?

I would tell the newsmaker to be very informed on whatever the topic is they are about to discuss. WIth that being said, this includes information on the subject matter, thinking about questions that may be asked and also doing a little research on the reporter to get an idea of how the interview will flow and how you will want to answer the questions.

1. What are the steps you might take to ensure ongoing and productive relations with the media?

Creating good relationships with the media that are long lasting takes effort and hard work proving yourself to them by doing things that will benefit the company.

1.How might you change your approach to media relations based on the type of news outlet you hope to pitch (print, broadcast, online)?

2.What advice would you provide to a newsmaker who is about to be interviewed by a reporter?

3.What are the steps you might take to ensure ongoing and productive relations with the media?

1.Various Media relations pitches Approaches

Obviously, my approach to the media will be changed according to their specifics.

Print
I will pay particular attention to my picture resolution since print media demands high resolution of 300dpi as best. Coupled with specific number of words with a deadline. Moreover, I would have to make my news tasty, attractive and genuine to fit the operations of the publishing house.

Broadcast

Since the broadcast media would look out for a smooth talker to keep their listers glued to their sets, I would make sure to choose my words well and be kind and courteous with my words and clear detailed description of unseen images and product. Furthermore, knowing the set up and the audience of the broadcast firm, I would submit to them news items that will meet their needs as I keep good communication with them.

2.Advice to a newsmaker about to be interviewed by a reporter

He shouldn’t treat the interview as a conversation.
Interview is all about content; information is the goal, not rapport and friendship.
Don’t “overload the system”. Be snappy but explanatory
Don’t lie nor push him around. Provide intelligent answers and
Take the initiative.
Don’t wait for the interviewer to get around to asking the right questions.
Act like the expert: Bring up things you think are important or interesting.

3.Steps to ensure ongoing productive relations with the media

To ensure ongoing fruitful relation with the media, I would avail myself for any enquiries which are in the interest of my clients.

I would also make sure I return every missed call as soon as it gets to my attention.

All staff will be briefed of how to handle the media so as to not breech the already existing healthy relationship.

In cases of wrong reportage by the media, I will involve the services of an attorney to stop the bullying tactics. I would also consider the use of the advertorials to squash or remedy the effects. Moreover, I would augment positive and
accurate direct communication with all the chief audience members by doing more phone calls, writing letters, organising meetings, news conferences etc. about a crisis situation that you will balance out
the inaccurate negativity in the press.