COMM 411: Unit 5 discussion

1. What steps do you hope to use to improve your own writing skills?

I hope to imporve formulating my ideas prior to beginning my writing peice. I think it is a good idea to spread your ideas out, write them down, for example in outline form then begin to write. I would also like to work on using more profound words in my writing instead of always using simple vocabulary, expanding it to be a bit more complex.

2)How do you best activate your own creativity (e.g. do you take a walk, keep a journal, etc.)?

To activate my creativity i look at other people’s works of writing. Not to copy any of thier ideas, but to help create and spark a few of my own.

3)Share an example of a public speech you may have given. How did you prepare for the speech? How did it go?

A time when i had to give a public speech was in an oral communications class i took. The way i prepared for the speech was jotted important things down on notecards becuase i knew i wanted to speak freely not just read from something word for word. It went very well. Speaking on my own and only glancing at the notecards for key parts.

What steps do you hope to use to improve your own writing skills?
~Reading APA made easy, really help me understand my formulating was all wrong, I also need to word on my vocabulary placement in the writing. Understanding the order with the whole paper.
How do you best activate your own creativity (e.g. do you take a walk, keep a journal, etc.)?
~I start buy just writing, understanding what am trying to say and relate it to other work that I read ,just format and the order their flow.
Share an example of a public speech you may have given. How did you prepare for the speech? How did it go?
~I being a basketball coach give motivations speech’s all the time. I had a very big game coming up with my team. so the night before I write down some of the things that I needed to say; address the people that needed the motivation. I learned a good speech prepared right is powerful.

What steps do you hope to use to improve your own
writing skills? Brush Up on the Basics, Write like It’s your job, read like its your job, find a writing partner , join a workshop, remember that outlines are your friend.

How do you best activate your own creativity? Write in my own personal folder. find things that inspire me , proceed in my zone of writing.

Share an example of a public speech you may have given.
How did you prepare for the speech? How did it go? I’ve only given one public speech and that was for speech class. We had to present things about us and provide power points for this. I’m nervous in front of large crowds. I made jokes to lessen the the blank stares.