Academy Home | Student Dashboard

COMM411: Unit 2 Discussion

What seems to be most important aspect of a PR plan?
Clear definition of goals for the plan. Who, what, when, where: Identify target audience(s) and objectives. List of key communication tactics and venues. Cost/budget.

Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective PR campaigns?
If you know how to position your product/brand to have an emotional impact with your target audience, you are creating a relationship that flows both ways. You can adjust your PR campaigne to further engage your audience based on their feedback. Remember cost, customer value, convenience, communication.

If you are taking on your own PR campaign now or in future, please share any aspects of the planning process.
Thoroughly research the topic. Consult stakeholders to gain insight and buy-in. May take extra time but buy-in is good PR. Develop a detailed plan keeping in mine the 4 w’s: who, what, when, where. I would develop a schedule for the project and a budget ±. The plan will clearly state the challenge, desired outcome(s), targeted audience and desired messages, communication strategy/tactics/venues. Once the plan is presented and approved, it must remain consistent as possible throughout…a moving target is difficult to hit!

COMM411: Unit 2

1) What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
The audience you want to be most appealing to. Also, marketing the correct way where it’s understood on what you stand for.

2) Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
Knowing where you stand and standing firmly behind it. When doing this, you can attract people to hop on board with your team. Nobody will truly support a campaign where it seems like the PR does not understand what they are talking about.

3) If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.
I am not. If I were, the first thing I would figure out would be what audience am I targeting to get on board. Next would be how long are we going to target this audience until we try to add a different group to join us. Also, is my marketing strategy reaching enough people at one time and how much would it cost to reach others. Last, are we expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Meaning that if something bad happens, are we prepared to bounce back strong.

1. What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
The most important aspect is to know who your audience is going to be and how to appeal to that audience. Find out the demographics and then determine what is important to that audience
2. Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
One of the marketing concepts that applies to effective public relations campaign is defining your audience and to determine the best way to communicate your audience. Also the use of promotion will greatly effect a public relations campaign.

3. If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.
If I was to plan a public relations campaign I would make sure that first we understood the issue and that the management team was on board with our plan. I would use research from polling to determine the best path for our campaign. Based on the research I would then determine the best communication plan in order to effectively target the correct audience.

You Have picked out some valid points here in your discussion board. I can easily follow your agreements and experiences as well.

(1) What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
-A clear outline of the goals and expectations that a client has of his product or service and then of the campaign itself is the most important aspect of preparing a PR plan. Once that baseline is established, the intended audiences have to be defined in order to properly cultivate the right mix of media output, positioning and brand value of the product or service.

(2) Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
-The side of marketing that heavily promotes customer value and customer communication are concepts that are very effective in PR campaigns. When a product or service has a highly perceived quality based off of its branding or design, it builds value among consumers and this works hand in hand with PR in some cases making goals easier to achieve. Similarly with customer communications, when a company has productive promotion and publicity campaigns,along with branding value, it overlaps with the concepts of media presence that is common in a good PR campaign.

(3) If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.

• In the future, my public relations campaign will have a very clear and stable brand that will be applicable to several avenues of importance as deemed by the public. Controlled media output, positioning, clear understanding of public opinions and using those to make evaluations to better the product , along with proper budgeting and analysis will bring forth the best outcomes for all the parties involved.

1.What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?

Most importantly finding out the target audience
and what the demographics of the audience is, and appealing to that group very
specifically. Learning what the importance of that audience is, has to be the
number one aspect of preparing the PR plan.

1. Which marketing concepts may
    especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?

Defining your audience and the use of promotion can and will effect the PR
campaign. The best way to do so is by communicating with your audience through
the best way possible. i.e social media.

1. If you are undertaking your own
    public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects
    of your planning process.

My planning process would be based on the research and I would then determine
the best communication plan in order to effectively target the correct
audience. Understanding the current issue across the board and having the
entire team enforcing the plan relating to one another and being on the same
page.

1. What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
    When it comes to Public Relations effective planning helps clarify intentions. It also contributes to the success of the business or organization. The most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan is audience identification and strategies. Audience identification requires pointing out a group of people who will be affected by your public relations. According to, “How to Write A Comprehensive Public Relations Plan” a few questions to consider include the following. Who is being persuaded? Where are these people located? How can you find them? What leaders does this group of people listen to? What TV shows do they watch? What radio stations do they listen to? These questions are vital in preparing your message for the client. Strategies are also very time consuming and an important aspect of public relations plans. When planning strategies, you must know when to be inactive, reactive, proactive and interactive.

2. Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
    In order to increase awareness and persuade your target group I believe an emotional impact will be effective. Most people also want to feel valued, so it’s important to also remember customer convenience.

3. If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.
    I am not currently; however, in the near future I plan to open a daycare. I will target single mothers, but not a large group of single mothers. I would consider how to reach out to this group and ask the following questions. What do single mothers do in their spare time? How often do they have spare time? What radio stations does this group of women mostly watch? What will persuade this group of women to trust me with their children? Do they have enough time for their children? What do most parents seek in child care facility? Based on much research, I will determine the best way to communicate my overall goals for opening a Child Care Facility.

YOU need consistency have a statgy thr cost it takes in when you p;lan on starting and ending it

The most important to rember is define your goals for your project see who your audence will be Identfy the communicatin venues ans identify who will do what and when

If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process?

I recently opened a dog grooming shop. I used a variety of concepts for my public relations campaign. First I purchased the existing client information from the previous owner. This helped generate a target audience. Next I used methods such as fliers, business cards, social media and community and veterinary bulletin boards to make the public aware that my service was available.

1 What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
I believe the essential part of a PR plan, or any other plan extensive plan for that matter, to be research. You need to gather information if you want to achieve anything. So therefore, everything falls under the category of research. Although not exhaustive, I have listed the most important elements of research and the uses of the research:

• Know your client
  • Make an analysis of the current situation (internal and external environments)
  • Find the overriding problems, its origins and possible consequences if not dealt with
  • Formulate a problem statement (this is the crucial step in the plan!)
  • What are the goals of the plan
  • What are the objectives of the plan
  • Identify the various target audiences and customize the messages/tactics to the various audiences
  • What are the expectations from/objectives for the various audiences
  • Formulate the major strategy/strategies (key tactics you want to use)
    o Do nothing (inactive)
    o Do only the necessary (reactive)
    o Do something before a problem might arise (pro-active)
    o Cooperate with others in solving or heading off problems (interactive)
  • What is the budget (create a balance sheet

2 Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
In order to be as effective as possible, know your audience:

•   Customer value

• Cost to the customer
  • Convenience for the customer
  • Communication

Positioning:
Differentiate from your competitors.
Show the value of what you offer
Show the various dimensions of your product. Is it the cheapest, newest, coolest, most convenient, etc.

Targeting:
Who is your audience? Who do you position for?
Segmentation: focus on key demographics that you want to reach;

• Gender, age, income, education, location, marital status, culture. Etc.

Create a brand and use it to build a relationship with the customers. Enrich their lives!

Awareness of the audience and the market-segment being addressed, and tailoring the messages accordingly.

Developing the presenter as a reliable authority and trustworthy source of information. Once accepted by the recipient, conveying information becomes far easier, and an honest exchange of information becomes far more likely.

-Development of a story which conveys the unique attributes of the company and its products, so as to create a memorable and consistent image of the company and differentiate it and its products.
    -Development of media contacts in the intended marketplace.
    -Development of a memorable message regarding products, and preparation of press-releases and media-reference material to encourage exposure.
    -Determine the noteworthy/newsworthy aspects of products that will facilitate unpaid media exposure.
    -Become aware of public’s sentiments toward company and its products, and develop exposure that will engender goodwill and minimize potential problems.
    -Coordinate media messages with both unpaid and paid exposure.
    -Listen to internal and external feedback regarding effectiveness of company’s messaging and exposure, and respond appropriately.
    -repeat above steps as needed.

The most important aspects are: crafting an effective message, understanding your prospective audience or publics, and finally, devising and implementing a a cost-effective plan of action to get your message across.

All marketing concepts as discussed by van Hook can be applied to or modified for the field of public relations, but most especially positioning and targeting. For a public relations campaign to succeed, its message and methods must be distinctive and outstanding, and must strongly appeal to a specific demographic (if not a few ones). It can grab attention and it can be memorable, but it can’t be expected to please everyone.

I would speak with the client, most preferably the boss of the organization, to find out what he wants to communicate, and how. Then I would call a meeting with my team to discuss ideas pertaining to the points I’ve mentioned in my previous answers, and to formulate solutions accordingly. And then we would present our ideas and plans to the client for his feedback and approval.

I understand that the most important thing when creating a communication plan is to know what the customer needs, and what is the goal you want to achieve with it. After that, evaluate whether it can cuumplir with expectations, putting into practice the fundamental laws of marketing.
After seeing this, we proceed to draw up a plan that meets those needs, defining the objectives, the audience, the media to use and identify the target

What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
The most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan include the following: situation analysis; statement of the problem campaign; goal; audience identification; audience and messages considering the allies, neutrals and opponents; specific objectives of the campaign and strategies to achieve these objectives; communication strategies; campaign budget; campaign implementation or action plan; and campaign monitoring and evaluation plan.

Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
Steven R. Van Hook highlights four marketing communication fundamentals. However, one I consider to especially apply to effective public relations campaigns is “promotion” and not just one-way ‘promotion’ but a two-way communication. This is because; it requires one to let clients know about a particular product for sale which can also be done effectively through “publicity”. In my view, I also think “Targeting” as a key marketing concept applies to effective public relations campaigns. This is true because; the concept requires identifying who the product aims for – the audience/publics. Targeting may be, for instance, in consideration of the key demographics that may have to be reached.

If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.
When undertaking a public relations campaign, the aspects of my planning process will revolve around the following:
identifying a campaign issue;
carrying out a situation analysis in relation to the campaign issue and the capacity to undertake the campaign;
identify the problem and analytically formulating statement of the problem;
formulating the campaign goal;
identification of the target audience;
determining the key campaign messages considering the audience i.e. the allies, neutral and opponents;
formulating the specific campaign objectives and strategies to achieve these objectives;
determining the communication strategies;
developing the campaign budget;
developing the campaign implementation / action plan; and
formulating a monitoring and evaluation plan.

What seems to be most important aspect of a PR plan?

A PR plan has several important aspects. The top four would be the goal, your targeted audience, the communication venues, and who will do what and when.

Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?

The marketing concept of reaching your targeted audience is especially important. Effective public relations will do the proper research to understand what the targeted audience wants and the experiences that they are seeking from a particular product, service, and/or individual.

If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.

Currently, I am not undertaking any public relations campaign and I don’t plan on it in the near future.

What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
The most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan would be the campaign goal, as it the overall point of the plan, and the audience identification and objectives, which will essentially guide all other actions in the plan.

Promotion (from the four p’s) and communication with the customer (from the four c’s). Both of these concepts focus specifically on how the consumer perceives your product and brand, which is a huge part of public relations.

My first step would be to asses the situation, do research, and determine my main goals and objectives for my plan. I would then present a comprehensive plan to the client and then start working on my objectives!

The goal of the plan, the audience , communication avenues, who what were and how?

1. Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?

I think all the marketing concepts apply to public relations campaigns because which concept you pick depends on what campaign one is running and for what purpose.

1. If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.

I am not currently running a campaign but if I were to run a campaign I would

Establish the target audience
Define my goal for the campaign
Establish how I am going to structure my campaign
Execute my campaign

*developing company goal and outcome and making certain that the client understands the goal of the company and that the outcome/goal is more beneficial to the client.
    *Knowing your product, audience, the four Ps ( product, price, place, promotion) of marketing and the four Cs ( customer value, cost to customer, convenience for buyer, and communication)of marketing, and targeting/positioning.
    *Anticipate, analyzing and interpreting public opinions, attitudes, counseling management at all levels within the organization regarding policy decisions, course of actions and communications, research, conduct and evaluate on a continuing basis, programs of action and communication to achieve the informed public understanding, plan and implement the organization’s efforts.

How would customer value, cost, convenience and communication be applied to to a PR campaign?

For example, a company in crisis mode: how do they adopt those concepts for managing their PR?