1 What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
I believe the essential part of a PR plan, or any other plan extensive plan for that matter, to be research. You need to gather information if you want to achieve anything. So therefore, everything falls under the category of research. Although not exhaustive, I have listed the most important elements of research and the uses of the research:
- Know your client
- Make an analysis of the current situation (internal and external environments)
- Find the overriding problems, its origins and possible consequences if not dealt with
- Formulate a problem statement (this is the crucial step in the plan!)
- What are the goals of the plan
- What are the objectives of the plan
- Identify the various target audiences and customize the messages/tactics to the various audiences
- What are the expectations from/objectives for the various audiences
- Formulate the major strategy/strategies (key tactics you want to use)
o Do nothing (inactive)
o Do only the necessary (reactive)
o Do something before a problem might arise (pro-active)
o Cooperate with others in solving or heading off problems (interactive)
- What is the budget (create a balance sheet
2 Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
In order to be as effective as possible, know your audience:
- Customer value
- Cost to the customer
- Convenience for the customer
Differentiate from your competitors.
Show the value of what you offer
Show the various dimensions of your product. Is it the cheapest, newest, coolest, most convenient, etc.
Who is your audience? Who do you position for?
Segmentation: focus on key demographics that you want to reach;
- Gender, age, income, education, location, marital status, culture. Etc.
Create a brand and use it to build a relationship with the customers. Enrich their lives!