Academy Home | Student Dashboard

COMM411: Unit 2 Discussion

1. What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relation plan?
    My estimate is that it depends entirely on the customer for whom one is working. All of the aspects of the PR plan are difficult in their own way and each are challenging in various ways depending on the level of knowledge/expectations of the client. Clearly, a dream would be to have a client that not only appreciated the work of the PR agency but also gave said agency free reign with basic guidelines and an unlimited budget with which to work!
    I believe the most difficult part consistently would have to be determining a plan of action, complete with the deadlines, in which one is going to accomplish the objectives set forth. In this type of work one deals with both reality and “I wish,” and keeping those separate is often very difficult. Once the plan is carefully worked through and put in place, provided the customer commits, the rest is as easy as working the plan.

2. Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective PR campaigns?
    In today’s world the symmetrical model undoubtedly yields the best results. People are absolutely in love with the idea of being a part of a product rather than just a consumer of it. If i can help people feel like they are a viable part of the product, even the company who makes it, I can create a culture in which those people will never feel as though they are buying anything at all. What a powerful position in which to be, certainly, from a consumer standpoint.
    This is why “branding” and “name recognition” are so critical. It is why we develop a single name reference for most companies that is consistent on every piece of PR that exists. The four updated “C’s” honed in on this very well: Customer value, cost to the customer, convenience for the customer, and communication—all are customer centric concepts that build partnership rather than a purchaser mentality.

3. I am not planning a PR campaign so this third question does not apply. However, were I to be, my key thought would be to clearly identify the problem, the solution, and how to achieve it step by step.

1.What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?

Every step of the pIan is important, starting from the goals (you need to know what do you want to do, and what for), but I would like to stand out the “audience identification and messages”, because if you don´t know who you need to reach, then all the effort isn’t worth it.
The same with messages, if you get to the people but you don’t tell them exactly what you need to, then your campaign won’t work out.

2.Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?

As a PR professional you need to understand the Marketing Mix of the company, but as said in one of the videos, I would say that the 4C´s of customer side marketing, “Customer value, Cost to the customer, Convenience and Communication”, are the concepts that are more likely to apply for PR. Because PR is about the audiences and customers.

3.If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.

I am not at the moment, but I would do the research to make clear the situation, I would define and understand my goals, try to identificate my audiences, and prepare the messages (one for each audience). I would make a strategy with its appropiate tactics, prepare the evaluation plan, and last but not least, I will make the schedule and pray for everything to work out. :wink:

1. What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
    As what Pari Noskin Taichert wrote on her article Plan it! She carefully and clearly discussed the importance of PR planning. Define the goals for your project, Define your audiences , Identify communications venues and PR methods , Identify who’ll do what and when. In short, one must fully understood what is the goal, who is the market and how to deal with the market.
  2. Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
    I think communication is the most effective public relations campaign. Effective communication starts with us, we must be well aware of what we are trying to promote. We must be able to convey to the market what we have, make them understand our importance. If we ourselves don’t understand what we are trying to achieve, we can’t communicate effectively to the public.
  3. If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.
    My plan would be; First of all, each and everyone in our team must be knowledgeable, well-informed, educated to the littlest details of our campaign. Second, we must be ready to deal with any question that would arise so we can address the issue almost immediately. Third, we must be always ready to compromise or negotiate any situation that would take place in the course of the campaign, especially if there are unforeseen circumstances that would arise and would mean a change of plans or strategy to make it appear that we are in full control of the situation.

1. What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
    The most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan is to define and outline the project goals and efforts. The goals need to be clearly defined. One must also define their audience and and determine what venues of communication are best for the plan. Organize the who, what, and when of plan of execution and use as an outline to organize a successful plan.
  2. Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?
    The marketing concepts that especially apply to effective public relations campaigns is communications. Communication incubuses product publicity and promotion through targeting consumers strategically and tactics through the press.
  3. If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.
    In planning my own public relations campaign I would outline my campaign so that it aligns with my long term goal of prosperity and success of my business. Define the goals and invite insight from those assisting me to give me their prospective on the end goal. Establish the who, what, and when of my project to keep focused and effective if planned well.

1.What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?
Know what your end result is desired to be. Clearly define the problem. Know your audience. There may be a first, secondary and tertiary audience. What is the objective for each audience? Now create your strategy. Make this a team effort, if possible. Plan the budget and lastly…stick with the plan and make your strategy measurable.
2. Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns? Its about the concept of knowing your audience. PR campaigns will be most affective when the customer is audience number 1.
Customer Value:. What value does the product have to the consumer?
Cost to the Customer: What is its cost?
Convenience How convenient is it to acquire?
Communication: a two-way dialogue – not just one-way 'promotion’
And differentiate your product from the masses
3.If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.
I’m currently in sales for a major corporation. I have ideas that could benefit the company and increase sales. One aspect I have to include is that I need to do it carefully with a good amount tact. As I am not working for the company in a PR capacity, it is important I don’t step on any toes. I need to lay out the problem, the statistics to prove my point, the strategy, the measurable solution and implementation calendar. I can imagine it would be quite empowering to see the growth of a company as a direct result of your effort and creativity.

To me, the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan are defining the goals/objectives and identifying the target audience.

Without a clear objective, it would be impossible for the company to know whether or not the campaign was successful. There would be a lack of direction and team members may be unsure of the following steps to take. Similarly, a target audience has to be identified for communication tactics to be tailored accordingly.

Public relations and marketing are two functions that work very closely in order for campaigns to be successful. For both functions, targeting and positioning are especially relevant concepts.

Targeting means deciding and focusing on a specific audience - who your campaign messages will be tailored for. To properly tailor a message, the PR team has to understand the audience - their mindsets, their behaviour etc - and this boils down to selecting the audience, which is targeting.

Positioning is a concept of clearly differentiating a product in a way that it stands out from competitors’ products. This could mean new or unique features that value-add to the product. In other words, having a unique selling point (USP). With a strong USP, companies would be more able to engage the media and earning media coverage would be easier.

Currently, I am not taking on a public relations campaign. If I were, I would:

First, define my goals.

Next, define my target audience and differentiate my product, which as previously mentioned, especially apply to effective public relations campaigns.

Then, I would identify my communication tactics, which may be dependent on who my target audience is. For example, social media would be an ideal communication channel for a PR campaign targeting youths. I would make sure to include both one way communication models - for publicity and dissemination of information to create awareness of the campaign - and two way communication models - for strategic management of public relations.
In addition, I would place more focus on media relations, through these steps.

1. Company decides on the objective for the story before engaging the media
    Linking back to clarity of objective , the company must decide on story ideas/news angles to pitch.

2. Conduct research on reporters before approaching the media
    Find out the different reporters for the various beats. It only makes sense that a company hoping to promote a tech product directly contacts reporters from that specific ‘beat’.

3. Respond to calls from the media
    It is important that the company ensures that a qualified media relations/corporate communications professional speaks to the media. This means having an approved spokesperson list (more than one spokesperson) in the scenario that a chosen spokesperson is unable to attend to the media.

4. Prepare for interviews
    To conduct a good interview, the spokesperson has to be prepared by going through the FAQs.
    Reporters are always pressed for time. It is likely that they set aside a fixed amount of time for any interview. It is therefore essential for the PR team to prepare creative ways to communicate messages to reporters. For instance, statistics in the form of pie charts and graphs to aid the visualisation process.

5. Maintain ongoing relations
    Media relations means fostering a long term relationship with the media. Outside of sending press releases and holding press conferences, meet reporters not only when a story is required by whenever possible. For instance, during festivities. Doing so builds goodwill and credibility.

Throughout the planning and execution of the campaign, I would communicate and work closely with any relevant departments and report to the CEO/executive communication department. Doing so would provide me with feedback and suggestions to strengthen the campaign.

What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan? According to the (PRSA), The Public Relations Society of America, Effective public relations should encompass the following:

•Anticipating, analyzing and interpreting public opinion, attitudes, and issues that might impact the operations and plans of an organization.
•Counseling management at all levels in an organization with regard to policy decisions, courses of action, and communications.
•Researching, conducting, and evaluating, on a continuing basis, programs of action and communication to achieve the informed public understanding necessary to success of an organization’s aims.
•Planning and implementing the organization’s efforts to influence or change public policy.

2.Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns? Through public relation events from the modules introduced in unit 2, “Modules and Approaches to Public Relations”.

Module 2: Public Relation Events
Much of public relations is getting people to notice you. You want the public’s attention and the media’s coverage. How do you do that? Sometimes directly, through media campaigns. Sometimes through clever use of circumstances, such as staged events or publicity stunts — some call them “magnet events” — they attract attention, like a magnet. There is no fail proof “how-to” on how to get media and public attention. You have to have an intuitive sense as opportunities present themselves.

3.If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process. I personally would hire a marketing team to help me through the planning process to ensure I’m taking the proper steps and actions to successfully run a public relations campaign.

1.What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a Public Relations Plan?
Individuals set goals with the aim of achieving a particular objective.You have to understand your current scenario by doing research and understand what competitors are up to,this will give you ideas to prepare well and come up with a successful strategy.Also,you need to kboew your audience to ensure your palm is effective,be aware of the metrics that you will use to evaluate your audience engagement and prepare a budget for the overall cost of want you are implementing. My building a consensus,you will create a clear path ahead for the implementation phase of your plan.

2.Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective Public Relations campaign?
PR campaign is a crucial process in planning to achieve a target goal,it is therefore important to know the right people who are responsible and diligent, this is important because the right people will build strong and good relationships and make new contacts,knowing your staff in order to have all the important details in place.
know your contacts-contacts-This will help you vernote,our notes and tailor your communication to be effective as possible.
Be easy for actions you should be prepared to give information onbyour ongoing campaign and hence the right information should be available in order not to lose golden opportunities and chances to keep/push the campaign forward.

3.If you are undertaking your own Public Relations campaign currently, or in the future.Please share any aspects of your planning process.
If I were to undertake a Public Relations campaign, I would know the outcome of the campaign by deciding on objectives for my PR campign before contacting journalists or writing fancy press releases and focus and stay on the specific campaign message.
Focus everything around the audience by understanding their wants and needs which is important in guiding which publications to engage in.Consequently,creating a targeted press release ,making cgolden contacts by researching the best pepple to send press releases to do phone pfollow ups.Also,finding creative news angles,using a personal brand in case of competition fromcompetitors and accessing how effective the campaign is are important things to put in mind for a PR campaign process.

What seems to be the most important aspects of preparing a public relations plan?

How you say it and what you say will likely determine your success or failure in getting your proposal accepted. A well organized and attractively prepared proposal will win out every time. Transmit your plan to the client or your boss. A brief description of the plan, including the campaign’s bottom line. Also an adjunct to the plan, this is a summery of your proposed campaign that covers several key points most likely to interest the executive who reads your plan. The very first item in the plan itself f be a situation analysis based on results of your research. Always make assumptions. No matter how much research you’ve done, something always seems to be missing. Assumptions are inevitable and as a practical matter, unavoidable. So when you write your situation analysis, you may make some assumptions about various aspects of the situation. Find the problem and it’s consequences. The problem statement itself should be very specific. Get to the root cause of your problem and try to identify exactly what attitude or behavior you need to influence. You must show the client what could result if something isn’t done to correct the problem. Have a campaign goal. Goals are general directions that are not specific enough to be measured. State your campaign goal simply and resolutely. Identify your audience which is vital to your campaign. You need to talk to the right people. Ask “Who exactly is going to be affected by your public relations campaign?” You’re going to need some cooperation from others; who will this be? Where are these people located? Once you have identified and prioritize your audience in your plan, tell the client exactly what message you believe should be directed to each of the audiences you have selected. State exactly what your objectives are for each audience you identified. A crystal clear objective would read something like this: “Our objective is to deliver X results by Y date at a cost of Z dollars.” Be sure to tell the client what your recommended approach or strategy is. Come up with a communication tactic. The tactics should include: action events, non-written tactics such as special events, demonstrations, exhibits or parades. Communication tactics such as oral and written that uses words or pictures. These include newspapers, flyers, brochures, advertising, digital media. Have a schedule. You must have thought through the plan tothe smallest details. List milestones and deadlines for each of the events and tactics. Put tosgether a budget, more often than not, the client may be “fishing” for a cheap way to obtain some publicity for the company. Have an evaluation plan. Tell the client exactly how you are going to measure the results of what you did and how they relate to your objectives. Remember also that actions and events generally are more effective than written or oral communications alone.

Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?

The four P’s: Product, Place, Price and Promotion. Product includes design and developement as well as its branding and packaging. Place is how the product gets moved from the producer to the consumer. Price is at what charge the product/service is offered for sale. Promotion is how you let consumers know about your product for sale.
The four C’s of consumer-side marketing: Customer Value, Cost to the Customer, Convenience for the Buyer and Communication. Customer value is the product benifits from the buyer’s point of view. Cost to the customer is the price plus the customer’s costs such as travel and shipping. Convenience for the buyer is how easy it is to complete a transaction. Communication is a two-way dialogue and not just a one way promotion.

If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign currently or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process.

The first thing I would do is to first access the situation and gather all my facts. For example if a company was at fault for causing harm to consumers I would want to know every details from both sides of the story. I would also gather research as what the general public is saying about this company. Assess the amount of damage that has already been done. Tell the company that they now have to release a statement to the media admitting their fault and how they are taking steps to correct the problem. I would then contruct a plan to release positive insights onto the company through media outlets in the form of press releases and commercials.

I agree with you and I can tell you really studied the material. Being clear on who you want your product to appeal to is very important.

The 4 point plan article, I felt, offered the most clear, concise direction toward this. They were 1) Define the goals for your project, 2) Define your audiences, 3) Identify communications venues, and 4) Identify who’ll do what and when. It also shared that Involving others in the planning and approval process and that a good direct plan would keep you moving forward effectively.

Consistency, distribution so that the impact of the product isn’t limited, “know your audience, you’re your target, know your people” is something that was stated in the video we watched for this unit that truly says a lot in being effective in a PR campaign.

I like the statement that A branders goal is to create a relationship with your customer so their life feels more complete because you are in it. Our team are looking at informing the public of some changes we will be making and these changes will be including seeking funding sources. This need presents needs of marketing. Making sure that we pay attention to the consumer-side marketing is imperative, seeking to configure our brand value just a little to focus on needs being met by the changes and showing the customer value in the changes would aide in targeting the demographic that we need to seek funding from.

Your opening comment on the first question says alot…It is what you say and how you say it. This is so very huge in any relationship, and honestly communication is key in every aspect of life…no less true in public relations!

The 4C’s you mentioned in the second question…I really enjoyed that little video and your response here is spot on in that PR is about the audiences and customers. The point made after the quote from the Coca-Cola executive was really good about how our PR needs to make a person feel their life is better with our “product” in it is the reason we have PR, because that is the information about our product that we want to let people know.

I agree with Sransom that your response to the question were very detailed and clear.

According to Ms. Taichert’s article, Plan It!, for a simple PR plan you will need to answer these four (4) questions:

• Define the goals for your project and for the PR efforts but keep them realistic.

• Define your audiences by doing the research of your targeted market.

• Identify communications venues and PR outlets/methods. I would accept the most popular or top three (3) that is suggested to me.

• Identify who’ll do what and when. Delegate! Delegate! Delegate!

1. Which marketing concepts may especially apply to effective public relations campaigns?

Knowledge, learning your targeted audience is very important. Lacking knowledge to whom your marketing can be devastating to your business. Research! Research! Research!

1. If you are undertaking your own public relations campaign or in the future, please share any aspects of your planning process?

Honestly, I would do this alone. This is a huge task that will require time and expertise that I don’t have. I would/will hire a marketing/public relations company.