Academy Home | Student Dashboard

COMM411: Unit 3 Discussion

What are some of the key publics you have worked with, or plan to work with, in your professional communications?

I’ve worked with a retail company to help them reach their customers better through social media. Part of my job was to design posts that promoted sales and products to the store’s key demographic.

What useful websites and tools did you find in your investigation of research resources?

I used a variety of tools to help me. I used images through a smartphone App when I wasn’t taking my own. I also used two social media platforms, Facebook and Instagram.

What nations and cultures have you worked with? How are they different and similar to one another?

I have mainly worked with various Hispanic, Indian and Asian cultures. In addition to working working with these two cultures as customers I also worked directly with a Chinese woman as well as a Mexican woman and another of Latin descent. I would have to say that in particular as a whole, these three cultures were similar in that they were all frugal with their money. Indians are notorious for wanting the lowest price possible.

1. What are some of the key publics you have worked with, or plan to work with, in your professional communications?

Our Advisory Board is a good example of those that I have worked with. It is good to seek various influentials to be able to really get our message tot he wide range of demographics. We depend on the “publics” involved in/on our Board to be a large part of that. Honestly, in a large Board having the experience of 3 of the 4 types helps because we need those that are 1) All-public issues, 3) single-issue publics and 4) Hot-issue publics. They know how to address general public int the specific fashion for the diverse projects/programs we may be dealing with.

1. What useful websites and tools did you find in your investigation of research resources?

I truly enjoyed “The ABC’s of Marketing” again going over the 4 P’s and 4 C’s. These are clear and concise tools and quite necessary for me to go over again and again at this point of my understanding of marketing strategies! These are tools that I intend to keep developing so that they are second nature! I also enjoyed the “Knowledge @Wharton” page. It was helpful in ways that will impact not ONLY marketing!

1. What nations and culture have you worked with? How are they different and similar to one another?

I haven’t ever really worked directly with other nations, but in my ministry I have experienced a multitude of cultures. From foriegn to domestic, from leaders in community to the homeless, from wealthy to the addict, from business owner to politician, and from the student to the working poor. I think their demographics speak for their differences, but the same thing in every heart is that they want to have a purpose and they want to feel a part of something!

Working to reach customers through social media is a great need in today’s world. We have found that it is becoming more and more effective in reaching folks in our ministry as well.

great insight on the Vietnam story… it is all about watching that we can visualize the similarities right within the strong differences!

Thank you for your response. After reading it, I thought of things that are publics that I wouldn’t have never considered.

1. What are some of the key publics you have worked with or plan to work with, in you professional communications?

Recently, I worked for an optometrist office so the publics I worked with was the patients, the doctors and my co-workers.

1. What useful websites tools did you find in your investigation of research resources?

CIA WorldFactbook, MarketResearch.com, Inc.com, Nielsen NetRatings and BusinessWire

1. What nations and cultures have you worked with? How are they different and similar to one another?

I’ve never worked directly with other nations, but as I attend workshops, seminars and conferences for establishing a business and for the accumulation of my ministerial hours, I’ve encountered several cultures who had the same goal of making the people, the community and the world a happier and healthier.

I plan on becoming a manager at a local hospital in Memphis. Across the street is a non-profit organization that I want to work for in the later future. The hospital that I work at welcomes patients of all different nationalities and cultures. I feel like I am well versed with the exposure other cultures.

1. What are some of the key publics you have worked with, or plan to work with, in your professional communications?
    I am currently working as a junior architect in my hometown. As the only junior architect, I have the chance to learn a lot from my direct supervisor and my boss not only about design but also about marketing and clients. As the time goes by, I start to apply what I learnt from them in my own online shop.

2. What useful websites and tools did you find in your investigation of research resources?
    I use facebook, twitter, instagram and online shop website to promote my goods. I also start to build network consist of people who has the same interest with me.

3. What nations and cultures have you worked with? How are they different and similar to one another?
    I have worked with different Indonesian ethnicities with different culture and beliefs. Most of them are similarly friendly and love to relax. These Indonesian customs might be considered as annoying even disturbing privacy and lazy by other Asian people such as Japanese or Korean who has high work ethic.

I initially worked as a reporter for print media after graduating college, so I was the one receiving the press releases at that point. I also worked as a communications assistant with a non-profit that is run operated by and that serves my affiliated tribe, so I was the liaison between organization and an ethnic community. I’d like to continue serving local communities through PR. If I continue to climb the corporate ladder at my current retail job, I’d like to venture toward internal communications and building bridges with customers.

2. What useful websites and tools did you find in your investigation of research resources?

That CIA Factbook is a rabbit hole! I think I got side-tracked for a good four hours by clicking on every country I could. As for the publics I’m interested in: social media is the safest bet for local communities and retail consumers.

3. What nations and cultures have you worked with? How are they different and similar to one another?

I’ve only interacted with different cultures in a casual context, and all have been first- and second-generation immigrants. The Latin American diaspora (mostly Central and Caribbean, rarely South) continues to grow in my area, and I am willing to reach out Latino businesses, consumers and organizations–though I’ll have to polish up on my Spanish and get familiar with each country’s culture before I cause any blunders. I’ll also have to keep in mind taboo subjects from each respective group. We also have prominent Vietnamese-American populations in my state, although it’s mostly second- and third-generations by now. I’ve noticed that both Latin-American and Vietnamese-American groups are very family-oriented, regardless of actual blood relation, and education is the topmost priority.