COMM411: Unit 4 Discussion

1. How might you change your approach to media relations based on the type of news outlet you hope to pitch (print/broadcast/online)?
  • According to several articles, we are encouraged to have media kits prepared for each outlet.

• Most importantly for me, I will hire a PR firm instead of trying to figure things. My goal is to reduce my stress not increase it.

1. What advice would you provide to a newsmaker who is about to be interviewed by a reporter?
  • Before the interview, get some media coaching.

• Before the interview, write the most important points on an index card to keep you focused and to stay in control of the interview just in case it starts to go south.

• Stay calm and speak with confidence.

• Practice. Practice. And more practice.

• Wear professional attire–no short skirts/shorts or turtlenecks; no bold colors or patterns and no dangling jewelry.

1. What are the steps you might take to ensure ongoing and productive relations with the media?
  • Make yourself available if media contacts you.

• After the interview and especially if your story gets selected to be printed, please send “thank you” notes to the journalist.

• Bring with you extra “goodies” to give as gifts or samples to the interview.

How might you change your approach to media relations based on the type of news outlet you hope to pitch (print, broadcast, online)?
~The approach to television would be to use brief quotes and to provide great quality pictures to get my point across. The approach to Print Media would be to provide a more in-depth coverage due to social media and the time it took for them to put that same report.
What advice would you provide to a newsmaker who is about to be interviewed by a reporter?
~ my advice would be to stay on topic and if you are trying to promote your work/ business here’s your chance; especially if it live. Free publicity.
What are the steps you might take to ensure ongoing and productive relations with the media?
~First thing is to know what media people you need around meanly someone the community knows and believe. then you start a relationship with these people knowing that they are the media and the are looking always for a store. The most is that when you help them to make sure that all the facts are facts. When the reporter looks good because for your help (as a friend) my help you in the long run with media relation.

Cjmurphy771, your shot at the questions is incredible. I understand that you wouldn’t want to create hassles for yourself hence your preference for outsourcing your PR. You are however good to go, I presumed, from your comments above.