COMM411: Unit 7 Discussion

1. What examples of crisis communications have you seen lately in the
    news? Can you find cases illustrating how both corporate and government
    officials dealt with crises?

I’ve seen a
police shooting occur in my own town that has been displayed over the news in
which has not had the best communication from our cities governments. They have
only illustrated the frustrations of the case via media not considering the public’s
viewpoints or safety.

1. Think of a time you had to
    apologize for some offense you committed: what did you do well? What might you
    have done better?

I have
apologized to customers and the best thing I can say I did was being properly
informed about the current issue and why I was apologizing. The customer did
not understand what had been done wrong until I was able to explain to them
that their membership only included certain opportunities. Now that I think of
this incident I could have allowed them to experience the amenities that were
not included thus creating a better customer service experience.

1. What you would say are the most important aspects of careful
    crisis planning?

Making sure
that a communication plan is set in working order and has been practiced, as
well as taking the time to look at the types of disasters that can occur.
Having a list of task for planning would be proper as well as using the tabletop
exercises to keep the crisis planning up to date.

(1)What examples of crisis communications have you seen lately in the news? Can you find cases illustrating how corporate officials dealt with crises?

• Recently ,one of Subway’ s leading spokespersons Jared Fogle was held under investigation for soliciting minors for sex and Subway responded by cutting ties with him and pulling all their deals.

(2) Think of a time you had to apologize for some offense you committed: what did you do well? What might you have done better?

• A child that I was babysitting had accidentally pushed over his mother’s breakable nail polish. I apologized for not getting to him in time and cleaned the mess up then made sure I ordered the nail polish back. Ideally, breakable stuff wouldn’t have been in his reach.

(3)What you would say are the most important aspects of careful crisis planning?

• A proper crisis plan has already planned for all worst case scenarios and has detailed yet easy to read instructions on how to present a compassionate , honest and sincere response to the public.
  1. What examples of crisis communications have you seen lately in the news? Can you find cases illustrating how both corporate and government officials dealt with crises? One that I witness in the news lately was a rapper being robbed at a show. The people that robbed him made a big deal of it and had it all on social media and then they took it as far as saying government officials and police officers could not and would not say or do anything. Later, one of the young men actually wrote on the police’s Facebook page threatening them. Police later handled and calm everyone down by airing a warrant out for arrest, actually arresting a couple of the robbers and letting people know that certain acts will not be tolerated.

2. Think of a time you had to apologize for some offense you committed: what did you do well? What might you have done better? I have to apologize on behalf of my job to a couple of patrons do to the fact that a few things weren’t working in building that they were used to having at their convenience. What I did was assure them that the situation would be taken care and that will try to come up with a permanent solution to keep things going smoothly. One thing I might have done better was to actually take the initiative to get it done instead of waiting for someone to complain or make their own idea.

3. What you would say are the most important aspects of careful crisis planning? Making sure that you have things planned for bad situations and good ones. Also, that one be as sincere as possible and show affection towards the crisis at hand.

1 Like

What examples of crisis communications have you seen lately in the news? Can you find cases illustrating how both corporate and government officials dealt with crises?
I have seen crisis communications in the most recent earthquake Japan. I watched on TV news, government officials appear at the scene soon after the crisis occurred with the Media like CNN, BBC, CCTV, etc. These officials were active in feeding the publics through media with information about their immediate and future engagements in dealing with the crisis including evaluating and providing humanitarian support to the survivors. I have no case on Corporates dealing with such a crisis.

Think of a time you had to apologize for some offense you committed: what did you do well? What might you have done better?
In apologizing for an offense I committed, I think I did well to recognise that I had committed an offense and also being rational and genuine to the person I offended. It took me time to realise that I had to apologise; but I think I would done better if I apologised soon after the offense.

What you would say are the most important aspects of careful crisis planning?
I think careful crisis planning would include the following:
-Creating a crisis planning and management team with clear roles
-Developing a crisis management plan and mobilising and allocating resources
-Building an effective human resource body
-Establishing guidelines for gathering information on, and investigations into the crisis
-Implementing, monitoring and reviewing the crisis plan
-Developing and implementing guidelines for crisis communications

1. What examples of crisis communications have you seen lately in the news? Can you find cases illustrating how both corporate and government officials dealt with crises?
The crisis in Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria. 100 days after the hurricane, 1/3 of the island is still without power. The Federal Government should step up and use the power they have to get resources to the island to restore power by calling in experienced workers an accurate count of the number of deaths related to the storm. Government officials have been neglectful. Sir Richard Branson of Virgin, one of the most recognizable names in the corporate world was instrumental in helping the Caribbean and in particular The British Virgin Islands by doing his own find raising and new casts. The news casts showed the devastation but also what was being done. his plea for help was heard around the world. He activated the basic human emotion of sympathy, around the world for the Caribbean.

2.Think of a time you had to apologize for some offense you committed: what did you do well? What might you have done better?
I made an error in taking a payment amount during a business transaction. I didn’t notice it at first but as soon as I saw that client again, I explained my error.
3.What you would say are the most important aspects of careful crisis planning? Think of as many scenarios as possible. Act them out. Be prepared to follow through with the plan. Be prepared to communicate regularly and frequently. Show compassion to all involved.

1 Like
  1. What examples of crisis communications have you seen lately in the news? Can you find cases illustrating how both corporate and government officials dealt with crisis?

During the period of rash shootings of black males, Memphis unfortunately experienced police brutality which lead to the death of a young black male. There were protests throughout the city. The big protest was held downtown. It began peaceful but as time progressed more people joined but they weren’t peaceful. They stopped traffic and spewed hateful things at the police. Our new police chief which is an African man went to the protest without his gun or vest and began speaking to the crowd. He encouraged them that if they chose to work with him, he would seek justice and make changes. He asked them to give him time to keep his word. The protesters calmed down and dispursted. I was blown away at the level of compassion, understanding and patience this man demonstrated. As a result, he began make the government more “transparent” by forming citizen based committees.

1. Think of a time you had to apologize for some offense you committed: what did you do well? What might you have done better?
    Working in the optometry field for several years, I’ve made my share of mistakes. I’ve had to apologize for offenses that I’ve made and for others. My action plan was to stay current on patient’s orders. As soon as I discovered a problem I called the vendor to get details and the expected date of arrival. Then I would call the patient, explained the situation, apologize and offer a compensation for the mix up or delayed arrival. Once I did that, the patient was good and thanked me for calling them.

2. What you would say are the most important aspects of careful crisis planning?

I think the most important aspects of a crisis plan is brainstorming several scenarios, writing possible responses, writing and rewriting instructions for each scenario, rehearsing often for improvements while recording it, allow spokesperson to obtain communication training so they will be able to speak with compassion and with authority.

I enjoyed reading your responses.

1. What examples of crisis communications have you seen lately in the news? Can you find cases illustrating how both corporate and government officials dealt with crises?

Brexit is on the way and due to the shown unsteadiness in deals between the UK and the EU, tension arose over the leaders, specially the PM Theresa May. Even though she and her working team tried offering several solutions to issues between trade and Ireland border deal, she was rejected over and over again reaching the climax and leading her to quit in tears. Not very late after the quitting, There May still hold her up in working pretty near the MP’s and representing UK in some events until a new PM is choosen. She stands up against climate change and other worldwide popular issues, showing how reputation matters in politicians and building trust in her fellows and her followers.

1. Think of a time you had to apologize for some offense you committed: what did you do well? What might you have done better?

I remember a time when I offered a customer certain service and didn’t gave her a realistic price for it due to my lack of knowledge. I had reported the matter to my boss as a normal reporting and once he told pointed me the wrong pricing, I had to call customer to made her acquainted. The woman came with her husband and she was very harmfully spoken, the first thing I made was to listen every single word and once I realized the ending, I apologized for my mistake even with the new facts she told me that time she came back again. We offered her another service for free and she accepted, however it didn’t seemed to be enough for pleasing her disappointment. I could’ve known better the prices and If I ever had a doubt, I could’ve asked to my boss instead of using instinct and try selling fast. Few weeks later, the customer came back for another service and I suspect it was because of our truthful concern about the passed issue.

1. What you would say are the most important aspects of careful crisis planning?

Analyzing weaknesses.
Planning in advance for the worst and the ephemeral.
Developing a trust worthy Crisis Team.