Academy Home | Student Dashboard

COMM411: Unit 8 Discussion

1. What ethical issues do you feel are most
    often faced by public relations professionals?

These professionals have to differentiate between the real
stories and the fluff. One ethical issue I can pin point as being the most
disturbing is doing the job you were not hired to do as if it was the job you
practiced for.

1. What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have
    seen done well and poorly?

One
poor thing I have had happen to me is I have been given false information over
the phone about items that I was interested in purchasing. There have also been
a few good ethnic actions I have witness throughout a few companies I have
visited, one specifically being Nike. Nike is always helpful and honest about
what a product will and will not do for me.

1. What did you gather from your
    codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of
    conduct?

Never
throw dirt on the competing party, stores, athletic teams, actors ect do this
all the time, but if you really want to win or come off as the better company
with the best judgment you want competition on your side. I have seen others
run public relations based off of finding the dirt on their comp to weed out
the other firms or news stations. This is something hat I would not do in my
own standard conduct.

1. What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals? One ethical issue I feel like is face most often is appealing and being sincere towards people and their feelings. Also, representing the organization they speaking on behalf of in a good way.

2. What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly? I have not seen things first hand, but I am sure some things done well would be PR being truthful and trustworthy in things that say and proving that they can act on those things. Something bad would be them trying to cover up the reason for a crisis or something of that nature.

3. What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct? I think just being honest and upfront is the best way. No need to lie or do a cover up because in the end, things can be worse than what they are now.

What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals?
I think public relations professionals are most often faced by a number of issues. On one side, I feel they are faced with self-driven issues such as behaving in a way that their publics may perceive to be misconduct; pressure to compromise standards and meet the publics’ expectations, and retaliation. On the other hand, I feel they are faced with externally-driven issues such as pressure from the publics. For instance, at times the publics may force the PR professionals to do or report on events in the way that is against the PR professionals’ will.

What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly?
Some practical examples of PR ethics I have seen do well include being honest, respecting all people, acting with fairness to others, not offering bribes for coverage, recognising other people’s contribution when there is need, and being a good listener. I have seen successful and prominent PR professionals demonstrate these ethics. The PR ethic I have seen not working well is the ethic of ‘not misrepresenting facts’; and this because; I think many times PR professionals have a pool of facts which makes it hard for them to know the actual fact that suite to be known by the targeted publics.

What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?
From my research, what might best apply to my own standards of conduct in PR are PR ethics I have seen do well such as being honest, respecting all people, acting with fairness to others, not offering bribes for coverage, recognising other people’s contribution when there is need, and being a good listener.

What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals?
*codes of standards; sharing with the public those issues and topics that you honestly do not agree with, but must deliver because it is part of the job, codes of ethics/conduct; speaking the truth
2. What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly?
*Poor: delivering false information when you have the facts; Good: sharing the facts such as events that were actually video recorded so the public can see for themselves what actually happened; although the decisions are left up to the juror.
3. What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?
*Always make certain you follow policy/laws; avoid trashing others; digging for the negative on others and sharing with the public

1. What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals?

Ethical issues are most often faced by PR professionals when conflicts of interest happen between organization and publics, when there is particular information is helpful for publics but dangerous for organization if it is released.

1. What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly?
  • Johnson & Johnson Tylenol criss and Samsung Note 7 (recalled all the phones from the market to avoid harm to customers) cases are well done in PR ethics
  • Masan Group in Vietnam (which was trying to attack traditional and good fish sauces makers in the markets by manipulating the information and buying the presses and unethical customer groups). THP Corporation in Vietnam (which trying to suppress the customers who boycott the company products due to its unhygienic products with proofs) are poorly done in PR ethics.
  1. What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?
  • I would follow the deontology analyses in ethics/moral for my own standards of conduct.

Doing what is morally right vs what will make the company the most money
What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly?
An example of bad PR would be how BP handled themselves after their oil spill. They didn’t keep the public informed on what they were doing to try and fix the problem. A good example would be Johnson and Johnson. They recalled all of their faulty bottles, even it meant losing millions of dollars, to show the public that they could trust the company.
What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?
To always be honest. People can tell when a company is lying, and it prevents them from building a solid foundation and later on relationship.

1. What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by Public Relations Professionals?
    I would think that it would fall in the category of lies vs truth. The gray areas are likely larger than they should be in all industries. The pressure to succeed exists with all levels of workers–thus in an effort to have positive PR it is going to be very tempting to color the information so that it is different than it would be if one were honest.
    I would also think that it would come in the form of deciding one’s course of action when faced with an ethical problem–particularly if it will negatively affect one’s future.

2. What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and done poorly?
    I think the best example of which I am aware of it being done poorly has to rest in our nation’s capital, notably, all government. The spin, the lies, the hypocrisy–surely all of those are ways one would see he should not behave, act like, or communicate like. They may think they are successful in the PR world, but I think most people see through it and recognize it as extremely unethical behavior.
    I remember the Tylenol situation in the early 80’s. I can remember, though a teenager, thinking that Tylenol was over. However, due to the actions the company took it was not over, and now is as good as ever. So in retrospect, that has to be the best example of ethics done properly in the face of a tremendous crisis.

3. What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?
    For one, I was encouraged that so many codes have existed, and continue to exist. In the second place, I was motivated to review my own decision making process in life to make sure I was being as ethical as these codes laid out. I looked at lot at the marketing and sales codes and many of those items are easy to miss in the heat of the sales moment. My plan will be to continually remind myself of ethical standards to which I adhere so that I don’t get off track. Honesty has to be the largest one of all that is a challenge, particularly in sales.

1.What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals? I feel that the most ethical issues faced by public relations professionals is being honest about what happened. If everyone told the real truth, I believe the situation could be handled much better.

2.What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly? The Dominoes Pizza social media crisis. The public relations representative should’ve done an apology immediately to all social media sites instead of waiting days later. The public was already upset. The Johnson & Johnson crisis. Even though people died from this situation, which was awful, Tylenol’s fast response time reporting on what happened made the crisis a short term ordeal to where they didn’t take a big loss in profits.

3.What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct? I gathered to always be truthful because it will help in the long run of the business. Make sure the customers are contacted immediately with a resolution. A great PR team is always handy when a crisis arises.

1.What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals?
The mist often faced ethical issues by public relations professionals is conducting themselves in a way that shows integrity, honesty, and that is as accurate as possible. The public deserves to have the right information not be misinformed by professionals in Public Relations. But as a professional it can be one of the greatest obstacles of their job when decided what information to put out and how the information is provided to the public.
2.What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly?
The most current practical example of public relations ethics I seen are those form this past Sunday NFL owners, coaches, and players on their decision to either knee or interlock arms for the flag at the games. A poor display of ethics was how President 45 called the people that knelled SOB. His PR team did nothing to recant his comments. Which represents his Republican party and their beliefs.
3.What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?
I gathered from the codes of ethics research that no matter the discipline or professional group that everything is governed by its own code. A standard code of integrity, fairness, and doing whats in the best interest of its consumer and you.

mdd344 thank you so so much for answering those questions. i had some questions that you have already answered and i’m very thankful for this. i’m currently doing nothing but sitting home because of health issues so all i have to do is to search for https://onlinepharmacyreviews.org in order to deal with them and also to learn these things since i’m having so much free time. so I can see that you really know these things, would you mind if i am going to ask you other questions later? thanks again!

1. What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals? Ethical issues faced by PR professionals would evading and not telling the whole truth regarding an incident with the company they are working for. Always finding the positive in a difficult situation is necessary, but very challenging when the public perceives the wrong doing. I am thinking of the BP oil spill. PR needs to ensure to the company owners realize the value of truth and taking responsibility

2.What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly? The Tylenol incident was the best. I remember watching the president of the company on TV. He actually broke down, showing care for humanity. He took ownership of the problem rather than running from it, and it was not something caused by the company. The worst for ethics is, sadly, sales people. Lying to make the sale. Honesty well bring about more sales in the long term. If you sell a product you believe in there is no need to lie.

3.What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?
In sales I understand the desperation that you feel when you are pressured to make target. This is something that needs to be addressed at the upper management level. If you lie, you loose credibility. And that repeat customer who is now doubtful/sceptical of your product will go elsewhere for an honest salesperson. Be truthful. You will sell more now and in the long run if the client trusts you.

1. What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals?

I think the single most important ethical issue a public relations professional faces often is being honest in every sense of the word.

1. What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly?

As I’ve read several times, Tylenol is the best example of public relations ethics that has been documented. Also in the reading there were several companies that did poorly in public relations ethics such as WorldCom and Enron. From my understanding these CEOs gave the excuse that they didn’t know what was happening. Currently, the worst people that practice poor ethics are salesman and their bosses that condone the behavior.

1. What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?

As a future CPA, I endeavor to honest and realistic in my practice. I shall tell the client the truth about his/her numbers and the consequences of not correcting a practice. I will refuse to “make” the numbers tell an altering story just appease him/her.

I enjoy reading your responses.

I enjoyed reading you responses to the discussion questions. I totally agree with your answer to number one.

1~What ethical issues do you feel are most often faced by public relations professionals?
To me what is mostlikly face by the professional is the PRSA committed. Yes, your job seek the public good, taken on a special obligation to operate ethically. However, powerful people may have a big influence on the reporter or the report.
2~What are some practical examples of public relations ethics you have seen done well and poorly?
One well, was making a visit to a phone store and the employee was very informative alone with making me fill as i was more important then anything at the moment. All of the information she gave me was great; what i ask for along with more information about other things that will save me money in the future.
One Never, a visit to an information booth to get information about where i should be and the way to get their. All the information was wrong and not only was i lost but i was late.
3~ What did you gather from your codes of ethics research that might best apply to your own standards of conduct?
Stresses honesty above all else