Academy Home | Student Dashboard

CS101 confusion

cs101

I have started taking cs 101. The course says it is for “beginners” without any knowledge of programming. My question is when does it start to all come together? Unit one was easy then everything went downhill. I am on unit 3 and it is complete gibberish to me. The vocabulary seems to be defined a hundred different times in a hundred different ways. Starting with unit 2 the first video was absolutely beyond my grasp. Am I looking too far into this or are some topics kind of out of order and the stars will align?

I too find that some of the vocabulary words are some what confusing.
Sometimes I will watch a short you tube video when i don’t get the meaning of certain words.
I also takes notes and what may help is taking notes on some of the words that you find more complicated.
I have this issue as well because some of the vocabulary seems to have very similar definitions and what helped with this is for me to Google the difference between the two words to get a clearer definition.

I too am doing this course and had trouble to connect all the dots, I found it particularly hard to find out how deep to delve into the articles which were dealing with programming languages other than Java. However, what did the trick for me was starting the unit with the end of unit assessment. This gave me an idea about where the focus points of the chapters were and it acted as some kind of scaffolding for working with the articles within the units.
As for the vocabulary, the differences mainly occurred when the articles were dealing with different programming languages.
I hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

This is a great technique and one I hope can be helpful to others, in addition to other good options mentioned above.

It has been a while since I took the course – and I did start out with some familiarity with programming concepts that likely helped – but I would agree that when a resource goes deep or is written in a very technical way (Java documentation and things like that), focus on the broad outlines and main points.

As a learner, I find also find that some things will only make sense then second (third…fourth…) time that I encounter them or once I have actually put them into practice.

And this thread is very good feedback on the course – thank you!

cc: @edteam

So we can take the end of unit exam before we start reading the unit?

Yes, that’s right. You can do the pieces of the course in any order you want, actually, although (obviously!) that could get a bit confusing.

Also good to know: it doesn’t hurt you in any way to take the final exam early to see what you know, what you don’t (maybe a lot! that’s okay), and what to expect.

If you study the quizzes and assessments only, will this help prepare you for the final exam? Or how about the flash cards within the Central Connecticut University module? Has anyone taken the final exam and have any advice for study preparations?