CUST105: Final Project: Customer Service Training Manual

This is your training manual:

This manual is designed to keep you current and fresh on what exactly customer service is all about.
Its work environment, methods of successful customer relations, and career advancement tactics.

The fundamental duties of a customer service worker are to answer questions and resolve problems.

The success in this regard depends on one ability to connect with the customers on a personal level.

You must have the proper attitude; a strong first impression, and communicate well; both verbally and non-verbally and most importantly understanding just what the customer wants and needs are.

As a customer service worker you will be assigned various work stations equipped with a telephone, computer, and a calculator. Or you might meet customers face to face; witch makes it more personal.

You will develop the ability to asses a situation effectively and be prepared to do what is necessary to d-escalate the issues and establish a rapport with the customer; witch allows for customer participation in resolving the matter.

As a customer service worker you will have to defuse anger, and work with a wide range of people and cultural backgrounds. So you will need tools and technologies to make it work.
Customer service workers need to multitask sometimes to manage their time, and network.

So the first tool you will need is telephone skills. By positively projecting your voice over the phone you set the customer in a relaxed posture and can effectively communicate.

The next tool is good writing skills. Because allot of people do not have allot of time to read e-mails or text messages; So you have to be straight to the point and you must proof read your correspondence for any typos or grammar issues before sending.

The correspondence must be concise and comprehensive. Lastly, the most important tool is teamwork.
you must have effective team work to resolve difficult matters.

A valuable customer service worker would be one that can deliver sound advice, professional, empathetic, friendly, and knowledgeable on the product or service provided. He or she must posses proficiency in observational learning, speaking, investigating, and the uncanny ability to work with detail. He or she must have active listening skills, data entry skills, and working knowledge of effective communication through social media.

He or she must be a problem solver and have proper phone edicate; you must listen and respond to customers needs and concerns, take orders, determine charges, and over see billing and payments.

You must review and /or make changes to customer accounts. You must research solutions or answers as needed.

Copying, faxing, scanning, e-mailing, texting, trouble shooting and live chat, may be needed.
This all needs to be done in a friendly and professional demeanor.

You must be able to work full time, and must develop impeccable team work ethics.

Everyone you will come in contact with will have their own opinion on how any given situation should be approached. Do the necessary research to gain substance. You must be considerate of others points of view.

Assessing customer wants and needs is a mater of simply asking a question. Most customers will tell you exactly what’s needed to keep their business; and others will like to see customer satisfaction in action.

The demand for customer service workers has increased. However, competition will be highly competitive.
So if this is the career path your on for long term or short term, you must have patients and good preparation skills. The salary starts off low but there is good chances for advancement within the industry; witch allows for raises to increase income.

In the customer service field you need to be open to suggestions from team members and accept constructive feed back.

This will sharpen your abilities and teach you new ways to approach new situations.

On the job training is often given with each new customer service worker because it gives the new hire a picture of what to expect on the floor or in the call center. Be carful in the choice of words you choose when the class is reviewing lessons, and comparing notes. Seek to stand out by showing the value of your skills sets compared to the common standard. Do home work and see what is being the most complained about in the industry and implement a plan to overcome it, or correct it.

When you think of a customer service workers one thinks telephone or computer. Customer service is in retail, sales, marketing, advertising, food service, public relations , community service, volunteer service, emergency services, policing, fire fighting, tax preparation; that’s just a few things.

We also have the internal customer; witch are your team mates. They deserve the same respect as if you were dealing with an external customer. There are internships available for those who don’t get hired on the first try. This will help you get use to/ or familiar with time management, and dealing with lots of different people.

Another important part of excellent customer service is taking proper notes with as much detail as possible, so should the customer call back there will be a note that has all the necessary components to solve the matter.

Customer service requires much if the customer service worker is not up to the task. Service is the key word in this mode of employment. We are servants not managers. We are to follow the orders given and always deliver consistent application of great attitude. We must stay consistently diligent in our quest to satisfy our customers and this will increase the profitability of the company we represent and provide job security,

We also get the value of learning new ways to deal with many scenarios in our personal lives as well. We are faced with issues daily in our professional and personal lives. Specialized customer service training not only prepares you for dealing with business, it pushes you to a whole other level of cognitive thinking.

It teaches you how to be supportive and aware, knowledgeable, emotionally prepared, and self reliant. customer service workers are always resourceful and inventive.

Customer service workers excel in the art of resolution. The customer service worker practices the science that coordinates the devices, systems, and physical conditions, with the capacities and requirements of the consumer. It is better to be patient than proud; be wise when making decisions concerning resolutions to small and large problems.

CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING MANUAL
“There is only one boss, and whether a person shines shoes for a living or heads up the biggest corporation in the world, the boss remains the same. It is the customer! The customer is the person who pays everyone’s salary and who decides whether a business is going to succeed or fail. In fact, the customer can fire everybody in the company from the chairman (CEO) on down, and he can do it simply by spending his money somewhere else.
Literally everything we do, every concept perceived, every technology developed and associate employed, is directed with this one objective clearly in mind – pleasing the customer.”
Sam M. Walton, CEO Wal-Mart
Definition of Service
“Service” should provide the customer with more than a product or action taken on his/her behalf. It should provide satisfaction. A happy customer will continue to be a buying customer and a returning customer.
Who are Your Customers?
Customers, buyers and clients want to pay a fair price for quality service or products, and feel satisfied they have paid for a service/product and received what they have paid for in return. They also want someone to take care of them. Customer service starts with the ability to listen to the customer and find out through polite questioning what he/she needs or wants.
Develop a Customer Friendly Approach
By “customer friendly” I mean viewing the customer as the most important part of your job. The cliché, “The customer is always right” is derived from this customer friendly environment.
Two critical qualities to the “Customer Friendly Approach”:
• Communications
• Relationships
The two main tasks of successful customer relations are to communicate and develop relationships.
What Customer Service Means
Customer service means providing a quality product or service that satisfies the needs/wants of a customer and keeps them coming back. Good customer service means much more – it means continued success, increased profits, higher job satisfaction, improved company or organization morale, better teamwork, and market expansion of services/products. Remember, good customer service results in consumer satisfaction and return customers and growth in business.
Professional Qualities in Customer Service
The professional qualities of customer service to be emphasized always relate to what the customer wants.
• Friendliness – the most basic and associated with courtesy and politeness.
• Empathy – the customer needs to know that the service provider appreciates their wants and circumstances.
• Fairness – the customer wants to feel they receive adequate attention and reasonable answers.
• Control – the customer wants to feel his/her wants and input has influence on the outcome.
• Information – customers want to know about products and services but in a pertinent and time-sensitive manner.
Simple Actions Huge Returns
• Customers will spend up to 10% more for the same product with better service.
• When customers receive good service they tell 10-12 people on average.
• When customers receive poor service they tell upwards of 20 people.
• There is an 82% chance customers will repurchase from a company where they were satisfied.
• There is a 91% chance that poor service will dissuade a customer from ever going back to a company
It is often not what you articulate but how it is presented. What you wear and how you express yourself has a lot to do with how what you say is received. It is clear that just looking good will not produce the desired level of customer satisfaction.
• Smiling
• Eye contact
• How you look
• Shaking hands
• Be attentive
• Tone of voice
• Hand gestures
• Personal space
• Posture
• Observation
Conversations Over the Telephone
It’s Not What You Say, It’s How You Say It.
The moment you pick up a telephone, body language and visual perceptions disappear and your tone of voice becomes dominant. For example:
• A flat tone of voice says to the customer, “I don’t like my job and would rather be elsewhere.”
• Slow pitch and presentation say, “I am sad and lonely – do not bother me.”
• A high pitch, rapid voice says, “I am enthusiastic and excited!’
• A loud voice says, “I’m angry and aggressive.”
Telephone Etiquette
Telephone etiquette, unlike more varying body language, can be uniform and is not culturally based. Being telephone friendly is one of the least expensive and cost-effective ways to deliver better customer service.
Troubleshooting
Some things which may upset a customer are simply unavoidable. Here are some tips on how to best handle these situations.
“Putting a Customer on Hold”
Ask the customer if you can put them on hold; wait for them to say “yes” or “no” and then explain it will only be for a short period of time. Explain to customers why you are putting them on hold and give a progress report at intervals. Thank customers for holding.
“Transferring a Call”
Ask the customer if they mind being transferred; wait for them to say “yes” or “no” and explain why they are being transferred and to whom.
“Ending the Call”
This is the final step in good telephone etiquette. A good customer service representative ends the call on a positive note, repeating any actions agreed to be taken and what is going to be done to help or serve the customer
Helpful Reminders for Polite and Friendly Responses
Wrong Approach------------------------Polite and Friendly Alternative
“I don’t know.” --------------------------“I’ll find out.”
“No.” ------------------------------------“What I can do is…”
“That’s not my job.” -------------------“Let me find the right person who can help you"
“You’re right – this is bad.” ------------“I understand your frustrations.”
“That’s not my fault.” ------------------“Let’s see what we can do about this.”
“You want it by when?” ----------------“I’ll try my best.”
“Calm down.” ---------------------------“I’m sorry.”
“I’m busy right now.” -------------------“I’ll be with you in just a moment.”
“Call me back.” --------------------------“I will call you back, what is your phone number.”
Communicating with the Unsatisfied Customer
When coming into contact with a customer, communicating with him/her, or analyzing problems, do not forget to use the following methods or qualities of the customer service professional:
Listen
Sympathize and empathize
Do not argue and do not interrupt
Do not lose your self-control
Take down notes and facts
Show empathy for customers’ problems. Let the customers know their problems concern you as well. Use the magic words, “I’m sorry” when need be.
Encourage an extremely agitated customer to vent a little before initiating steps to resolve the problem. You can use such phrases as “tell me about what happened.”
Remain objective and calm. Take responsibility and keep a focus on achieving results.
Involve the customer. This returns a sense of empowerment to a customer who may be feeling powerless.
Provide clear options and steps to a resolution.
Assure the customer that you will advise management of the problem to prevent a similar situation in the future.
Admit the problem and proffer solution options
Involve the customer in problem solving
Follow-up

Customer service problem solving involves:
• Ask necessary questions to get more complete information and completed picture of a situation
• Find out exactly what the customer needs you to do for them
• Explain first what you can do, and then gently add what you cannot do
• Discuss in detail all opinions, and then decide what needs to be done
• Undertake immediately what was discussed
• Check the result to make sure the customer is completely satisfied
Teamwork
A CSW will work with other team member to achieve goals and targets. Effective and well-coordinated teams make huge impact on the company. Let’s discuss the three primary components of effective teamwork
The common vision and mission shared among all team members – as a team your common goal is to work to attain the vision of the company. CSWs should always ensure effective communication and coordination among themselves to propel an overall excellent customer service.
The complimentary skills of each team member – each member of the group has a unique skill and characteristics that complement the group. It is important to note that the strength of the group does not necessarily come from your similarities, but the combined contribution of each member’s differences.
The interpersonal bonds that tie it all together - An effective team should bond together in common support of the company’s vision and mission. This is an ongoing process, as the team members come to appreciate each another’s abilities, loyalties, and commitment to individual and group successes. CSW should find ways of resolving their differences or conflicts without it affecting productivity.
Self-Care
It is important you take good care of yourself to stay healthy to perform your role. Here are some tips you can adopt.
• Try not to go home with problems, conflicts or unresolved issues, leave them at the workplace.
• Create time for relaxation and other activities that can help you rejuvenate and keep a healthy perspective on work and life. Such as exercising with a walk or a visit to the gym, reading, listening to your favorite music, getting a massage, taking a long bath, watching a movie among others to put your mind at rest and restore calm.
• Collaborate with your employers to ensure they take the proper steps for time management and productivity.
• Workers should beware of allowing negative emotions at the job place to affect their well-being

Customer Service Training Manual

We welcome you to our company and want to help you succeed as a new customer service representative! it is our goal for all of our customers to receive exceptional quality and service from us with every encounter they have with us. Remember, without customers, you have NO job! Their value to us cannot be overstated. Everything we do must reflect a commitment to service excellence for our customers and our staff. Having said this, YOUR value to us cannot be overstated either. You have a very important job, and it begins today! The goals of our training are to equip you with the most basic tools needed to deal with a variety of challenges in the field of customer service. We will review best practice service models so that you have a clear understanding of your job description, basic communication skills, dealing with difficulty people, and how to keep growing in developing in this aspect of your career. Every single time you go the extra mile for a customer, you are helping to instill loyalty to our company from that customer. So, let’s begin this journey. Here is an outline of what we will be discussing in our training.

Unit 1: A Basic Understanding of the Customer Service Job Description:
A. Review of the core values and mission of our organization
B. Understanding the value of delivering exceptional service
C. Various customer service delivery systems
D. A guide to your work station.

Unit 2: Qualifications and Preparation for Your Job as a Customer Service Representative
A. Qualifications and Preparation
B. Developing Important Skillsets
a. Communication skills
b. Problem solving skillsets
c. Customer service skillsets
C. Understanding the Basics of Marketing Terms and Concepts
a. Understanding the Marketing structure of our organization
b. The Four P’s of Marketing
c. Aiming high to meet customer expectations
D. Understanding the Customer
a. What does the customer really want from us?
b. What does the customer truly need from us?
E. Communication Techniques that every customer service rep needs
a. My Verbal Communication is important
b. My Nonverbal Communication is important
c. Writing communication tips
F. Role Play with Customer Service situations
a. Analyze the encounter for positive actions taken
b. Sight the opportunity for improvement noted in the role play
G. Dealing with Difficult and Challenging Customers
a. Remaining calm when you want to scream!
b. What are some key words for key times.
c. When is it time to escalate the problem to higher levels of authority
H. Developing Exceptional Telephone Skills
I. Continuing Education opportunities
J. Let’s explore online companies and see how they are handling customer service effectively.

We know that as customer service professionals, we all want to make a difference in the lives of our customers. Making a difference, making people less anxious, helping to resolve their problem with a product or situation, or making them feel like they were truly heard all makes a difference in their perception of our company. Implementing all that we have discussed will help us have a service culture. A culture that you will be proud to be a part of. Let the journey begin!

Customer Service Training Manual

Welcome to our company! As a member of the customer service team, you hold perhaps the most important position at our company. It’s important for you to make sure our customers are satisfied every time. As such, I’d like you to remember a few things:

1. Treat the customer politely and with respect. This includes careful listening, never getting angry or blaming the customer, or speaking in a way that would make them feel bad. Always speak and act professionally, confidently, politely, and positively. Watch the tone of your voice and your body language - all non-verbal communication - as this greatly affects how your customers feel about the experience. Smile always.
  2. Remember the steps - Listen, empathize, and take control. Replace phrases like “I don’t know” with “Let me find that out for you”. Be solutions and can-do focused.
  3. Work as a team. If you’re having problems within the team it will affect the customers. Remember to focus on each other’s strengths and encourage and help each other to grow and do better. Get to know each other personally. Don’t sabotage each other’s work or be nit picky and critical, but do offer helpful suggestions. When conflicts do arise, try to resolve them without involving anyone else. If that doesn’t work you can take it to the manager. Do not talk behind people’s back, even to ask if they think it’s an issue. Never gossip. Remember, your coworkers are people too, and treat them respectfully and kindly.
  4. Protect yourself from negative customers and emotions with your mindset. Don’t take anything they say personally, nor argue or defend yourself or another. But don’t make a coworker appear incompetent by saying they did something wrong, even if they did. You can fix it and give good service without doing that. Remember, their anger is their problem and you don’t need to join in. If they need to vent, let them. And apologize and empathize sincerely as many times as necessary. When they have calmed down they will be more rational, but never tell them to “calm down” or dismiss their problems and emotions; instead empathize “I know that is very frustrating. Let me fix it for you”.
  5. Remember to take care of yourself. You can’t give the best experience to our customers when you are overworked or stressed. Take time to relax, exercise, eat healthy, have a personal and fulfilling life. Leave work troubles at work and home problems at home. If you’re unable to manage your workload, speak to the manager.

Following these tips and the other training you have received will help you succeed and have a better experience working here. Remember to continue learning and progressing. We’re here together, for you and for each other.

Welcome to the team!