CUST105: Unit 1 Discussion

1.) I would love to snag a position as a computer service technician, preferably where I can interact face-to-face with customers on a daily basis. As far as industry goes, the electronic and information technology field the ideal for me.

3.) Everyone in customer service has undoubtedly dealt with an angry customer at least once. I am no exception to this rule and once had to deal with an older man who had brought in an aged, dying laptop and refused to accept that it simply was not powerful enough to do what he wished. By remaining calm and friendly, being sure to nod and listen to all he had to say, I was able to turn a bad day into a blessing through helping explain new information to him and was even able to help him enjoy a discount on a new computer which was excellent for his needs. He came in an irate and troubled man and left a happy customer with not only his needs addressed fully but a new friend and business contact who before long was a loyal customer. Bearing in mind what I learned in this lesson, I do believe that it could have been improved with a few more well placed nods, although I am glad it could be nicely resolved.

3.) As a customer, I feel the need for prompt, courteous service with a solid deal of great workmanship is ideal, although I also am the type of person who also wishes to have additional pleasant conversation while my issue is being resolved or addressed. There are certainly many more such items to care about but I feel these to be the most important and it seems they rather line up with what was presented in this unit in many ways.

1. I would like to find a customer service job that provides for the needs of others.
    I would like the face to face approach because it’s much more personal that way.
    And the industry I would like to be is the information.
  2. There was one experience that stood out in my life which I would always remember.
    It was when a really shy person asked for my assistance with a project he had been assigned. It was to expound on the word; (word).
    I was able to assist by providing the tools necessary to break down the definition so that it could be used to lift up the people he was addressing and instilling confidence in him.
    I would use the effective communication segment of this lesson to make an even better impression.
  3. My idea of what great customer service experience would be professional, friendly, and most importantly presented by someone who is knowledgeable in the area of service that’s being presented.
    Some of the standards were touched on in the lesson.

1- I would like to work in a pharmacy so, I will have face-to-face contact, providing necessary information about the drugs and patient counseling.
2- I like to smile at people when I talk to them and make intermittent eye contact.I also try to find solutions to their problems.
3- From my point of view, customer service provider must have good communication and presentation skills.He also must be good listener and deal with the customer problems.

I would like to work in a call center as I prefer some distance between customers and myself. I prefer long distance communication to face to face communication, although I do not mind interacting with colleagues and bosses, face to face. I would prefer working in either the health industry, or the telecommunications industry.

I worked in the IT department of a drill company. It wasn’t a department that had much interaction with customers, mostly just the other employees. When I first started working there I made sure to take the time to introduce myself to everyone in the department. Social interaction between colleagues is often easy to overlook but it is a nice way to create a respectable and comfortable work environment. I could have made better use of body language when I did my initial introduction.

It is important for me, as a customer to feel that the customer service providers have some knowledge about the products they’re selling. I would also want my issues resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

1. I actually work in customer service at the hospital. It is the kind of work that I intend to stay in. I prefer the face to face kind of job. It is very challenging to work in customer service in healthcare, because our customers are sick! I think remote customer service can be good, but sometimes frustrating and not as honest as face to face.
  2. I had an interaction with an upset patient last week. Often you have to take sometime to figure out what the real issue is for the patient. They may complain about the food, when really they are upset about being in the hospital in general. I have learned that it never helps to get upset as well when interacting with an upset patient. Stay calm. Let them sense your compassion and that you are on their side. At times an upset patient may call after they go home. I find phone conversations more difficult than face to face.
  3. As a consumer, with customer service issues, I simply want to feel like the customer service worker cares about my satisfaction and that they know the answers to the problems I’m facing. I have had good and bad experiences with this in the past. I want to provide exceptional service to our patients, which is why I am interested in this course. I want to learn what’s most important and how to improve in the job I currently do.

1.What sort of customer service job might you like to find? Would you prefer working in a face-to-face situation, or through a remote customer service center? What industry would you like to work in?

Answer: I would like to work as a customer service representative in an airport or call center. I would love the chance to work face to face and meet people from all around the world.

2.Describe an interaction you’ve been involved with - either personal or professional. What steps did you take to make a favorable impression? How might you use the lessons from this unit to make even better impressions?

Answer: I worked at a Hardware Store for 9 years as a Store Clerk . A customer brought some materials but didn’t get everything delivered that was on the receipt.She call to get phone support and needed help on how to proceed with a problem like this.So I took the time and take note of all the things that didn’t delivered as expected. I ask her to come in with the receipt.To create a favourable impression I ask her to let me see the receipt,after viewing the receipt i telephone the driver who delivered her goods to let him know that we had a customer that wasn’t satisfied with our company because she didn’t get all the goods she had paid for.After finishing talking with the truck driver i finally get to the bottom of the situation.After apologizing to her I released she was satisfied.I believe listening, empathizing with customers and making them happy is the key to organizational growth.

1. As a customer, what needs and wants do you hope to have fulfilled by customer service providers? Do they match those covered in this unit?

Answer: As a customer i want to feel important, i want the customer service providers to listen and respond to my needs,solve my complaints in the shortest possible time and empathize and take charge of the situations.

I would like to work in a business environment where I can provide face to face assistance to customers about products and services.

There was a time a Customer’s debit card got seized by the ATM and the customer was frustrated to the point of shouting, I had to take my time to calm him down making him understand that I felt his pain as well and I took my time to help him get the card out.

I would love to be treated well as a customer, having pleasant conversation while my complaints is being reviewed and treated with great importance.

1. I would like to be a manager/ CEO of my own company. That would involve both kinds of customer service. My parents own a machine shop so I’d like to go into that industry and also go into lawn service on my own.

2. At one time, I was a dance teacher. The mother of the child I was teaching thought I should let them see into the class. It was my policy as a teacher to have the window blinds shut because when the kids could see their parents watching them, they acted up. The mother approached my boss about the situation and threatened to leave the studio if I didn’t open them for her. My boss then told me about the situation. I didn’t want the company to lose a customer so I decided to leave them open the next class. The following week she showed up and noticed the blinds were open. Throughout the whole class she kept waving to her daughter, making the kids run around the room because they could see their parents, and overall made it a stressful class. I then made my final decision about keeping the blinds shut from then on. After the class that day, I went out into the waiting room and politely explained to the parents why I was going to keep them shut. I told them I wanted the kids to get the most out of class, and that we couldn’t do that with the blinds being open. All the parents were okay with it except for that mother. She never returned to the studio after that. This course may help me avoid that situation.

3. I want them to acknowledge my situation and help me fix it. I don’t like being put on hold so id like to avoid that. Yes they do.

1. I would prefer some of both, and I particularly like chatting options; however, I think working at an IT help desk or as a receptionist at a medical office are the most attractive options to me for what’s available.

2. I’ve had several instances where people have asked questioned or for help and I’ve been working on expressing empathy better. Recently my mom wanted taught how to do a simple thing I thought she knew how to do, but I was able to gently teach her without making her feel bad by my attitude and communication. With what I’ve learned I would take it even better by showing empathy and normalizing it.

3. Mostly I just want my problem to be found, resolved, and explained quickly and simply.