Academy Home | Student Dashboard

CUST105: Unit 1 Short Writing Exercise: The Customer Service Worker

Prepare a 300-500 word document as if you were the manager of a customer service department hiring new workers for your staff. Based on this unit’s readings, what are the key traits and skills you would want to see in applicants as you choose whom to interview?

Any business benefits from good customer relations, whether a large corporation or a mom and pop shop. Customer relations, refers to the way a business communicates and interacts with the public to gain and retain customers. It is necessary for a business to cultivate good customer relations to attract and keep a loyal base of customers. Some companies hire consultants to advise them how to develop stellar customer relations.

Customer relations is key to understanding consumer motivation. Without assessing customer relations, it’s difficult for a company to know how visible it is in terms of its client base. It’s also hard to figure out how to grow the company without understanding the relationships it has with current customers.

Customer Relationship Management explains the relationship between suppliers, technology, and customers, which together provide the infrastructure for customer support in a business environment.Managing relationships with customers has become a critical organizational competency. Get winning strategies for acquiring and retaining customers by leveraging the latest advanced technologies. I learn form this course is that how treat customer and how give them satisfaction this factor also help us to improve our business prospective.

Building relationships

The key to exceptional service lies in building relationships with people – staff and customers. The life of a business depends upon the quality of relationships with these two groups of people. By understanding and focusing on the needs of employees and the needs of customers, businesses create mutually beneficial relationships. Without the best efforts of its employees, businesses struggle. Without the loyalty of their customers, businesses fail.

Building a business on relationships to products gives no sustainable competitive edge. Other stores can offer the same products. Very few stores can sustain a price advantage against larger competitors. However, by creating relationships with your customers, your business can achieve and sustain a competitive edge.

Good Qualities of Customer Relation Worker

1. Patience
  2. Attentiveness
  3. Clear Communication Skills
  4. Knowledge about the product and companies policies
  5. Acting Skills
  6. Face Reading Skills
  7. Helpful Attitude and Problem-Solving Skills

If I am a manager hiring someone to work in my customer service department the biggest skill set I am hoping to see in someone is going to be empathy. I need someone who can care about others. I need to see passion and emotion. In my opinion empathy is not something that is teachable - you either have it or you don’t. The best way for me to find this is to have some roll play situation. These situations may not be related to the type of work that someone is going to do, but related to general life situations. I want to see how someone is going to react to help someone else. I want to see there emotional reaction. This will help me to see how they think and help me see if they are empathetic. I can train someone how to work within the company - I can teach them the knowledge of the business and the technical and none technical aspects of the products we sell or service. But I cannot teach someone how to feel.

Through reading this unit, the traits and skills that I will look for as a manager is the communication skills, listening skill, social skills and knowledge of the work for which the candidate is to be interviewed.
Customers usually need information about the products and their location when they come to purchase. For this purpose, a customer service worker need to have proper communication skills to guide the customer from the beginning till the purchase is done. He/she needs to clearly communicate to the customer how the products looks like, how it will improve the life standard and compared with similar products in other stores, how this product will work effectively. If a customer service worker is unable to clearly respond to the queries of a customer, the company may not be a choice for that customer in future.
Secondly, a customer worker need to have effective listening skills. Through actively listening to the customer, they can be made feel that they are given importance. Using paralanguage words and maintaining eye contact with customers are effective strategies to make them feel worthy.
Thirdly, a customer service workers also needs social skills such as being polite, respecting others, feeling empathy with them and using such culturally appropriate titles for the customers.
Lastly, the candidate should have required knowledge about the company, its products and other rules and regulations.
If these attributes and skills are found in a customer service worker applicant, he/she will be considered for the next step.

Customer service is all about solving the problems of the customer, which may vary from simple inquiries and questions to complex issues. As a hiring manager for new customer service agents, I would like to see the following key traits

1. Excellent Communication
  2. Problem Solving
  3. Analytical Skills
  4. Listening skills
  5. Empathy
  6. Good attitude.

Based on this unit’s reading, these are the key traits and skills I would want to see in applicants:
Customer-service skillsets.
A CSW needs to handle questions and problems with afriendly and professional demeanor. As a matter of fact, customers may come from many different backgrounds, be frustrated and confused, be angry and difficult—so the CSW needs to be patient, understanding, sympathetic, polite, and create a positive relationship to help resolve the problem at hand, and represent the company well to help ensure good ongoing business standing.

Saylor URL: http://www.saylor.org/cust105#1.1

Communication skillsets
A pleasant voice and clear enunciation are important elements of good communication skills, as is the ability to organize thoughts and explain complex concepts in simple terms. The customer service worker must relay the company’s message to callers. This is often done using printed scripts or computer programs that present interactive scripts of questions and answers that are used to discover the true reason for the customer’s call, and lead the customer to a solution, while cross-selling and up-selling. Good reading skills are vital to effectively delivering scripted conversations. Other important skills are an understanding of basic math, familiarity with computers and the ability to type.
Listening skillsets
A good customer service worker must have good listening skills. Customers sometimes include emotional baggage in their explanations of a product malfunction, and the customer service worker must be able to listen carefully for the important points of the problem. A good listener also allows an upset customer to vent enough to calm down, but still manages to identify why the customer called and key elements of the problem or question. Many customer service reps also act as sales reps, cross-selling additional merchandise and subtly leading the customer to upgrade a purchase to the higher priced model. Listening skills also play an important role in identifying customers who can be encouraged to buy more or who actually need the features of the higher priced model to be perfectly satisfied.
Patience
A customer service worker deals with all kinds of customer questions, suggestions and complaints. They will deal with different kinds of people such youngster, elderly and confused, angry, happy, irritating or just plain lonely and looking for someone to share a conversation. A good customer service worker remains patient and polite through everything. Even a customer’s snide personal insults should be viewed as part of the job, and dealt with professionally. Along with patience, the customer service rep should be self-confident enough to not take rude comments personally, and charming enough to calm irate customers.
Technological skillsets
My applicants must be computer savvy people, because in modern era technology is so needy that we can’t not use it. In fact, to be to manage a computer is to be able to manage technology itself. Further, it is the most current way used by people, customers use it a lot to keep in touch with businesses.

Based on this unit’s reading, these are the key traits and skills I would want to see in applicants:
Customer-service skill sets.
A CSW needs to handle questions and problems in friendly and professional manner. As a matter of fact, customers may come from many different backgrounds, be frustrated and confused, be angry and difficult—so the skills i willi will hire a CSW based on is how patient, understanding, sympathetic, polite, and how effectively he or she can create a positive relationship to help resolve the problem at hand, and represent the company well to help ensure good ongoing business standing…
Customer relations, refers to the way a business communicates and interacts with the public to gain and retain customers. It is necessary for a business to cultivate good customer relations to attract and keep a customers.
Customer relations is key to understanding consumer motivation. Without assessing customer relations, it’s difficult for a company to know how visible it is in terms of its client base. It’s also hard to figure out how to grow the company without understanding the relationships it has with current customers.

Customer Relationship Management explains the relationship between suppliers, technology, and customers, which together provide the infrastructure for customer support in a business environment so the customer service worker i will be hiring will have a good customer relationship management trait.Managing relationships with customers has become a critical organizational competency. Get winning strategies for acquiring and retaining customers by leveraging the latest advanced technologies. I learn form this course is that how treat customer and how give them satisfaction this factor also help us to improve our business prospective.

Building relationships

The key to exceptional service lies in building relationships with people – staff and customers. The life of a business depends upon the quality of relationships with these two groups of people. By understanding and focusing on the needs of employees and the needs of customers, businesses create mutually beneficial relationships. Without the best efforts of its employees, businesses struggle. Without the loyalty of their customers, businesses fail.

Building a business on relationships to products gives no sustainable competitive edge. Other stores can offer the same products. Very few stores can sustain a price advantage against larger competitors. However, by creating relationships with your customers, your business can achieve and sustain a competitive edge.

the key ttait and skills i will like to see a a CSW is how competent he or she is in these three treat listen, empathize and how he or she can take charge of situations

As a manager, i will look out for someone who is good in answering questions and solving provlems. He or she should also be a goog listener and be proficient with the mass media.
The person should also be well coordinated and be able to work with less supervision under intense pressure. A fast learner will also be of help as i would have much time to go through the rigors of longterm on-the-job training.
The prospective employee should also be able to portray the company in good light despite some of its shortcomings and be able to prove how he or intends to do that.
He or she should be calm yet convincing, firm yet persuasive and hard working.

Customer service workers are in most cases the first point of call in every organization and as such the ways and manner in which services are delivered to customers determines whether they will return to the company or not. As a manager hiring customer service workers the following are the skill and traits I would look out for.

1. Good Communication and Interpersonal skills.
    A good customer service worker should have a good communication skills, thus he/she must know how to approach a customer, what to say, when to say it and how to say it. Both verbal and non-verbal communication cues must be used concurrently to ensure effective communication. Applicant’s interpersonal skills is also key, how a CSW will interact with customers is very important regardless of the situation. A CSW will meet and deal with a lot of people form different backgrounds and experience on a daily basis, some may come happy, angry, sad, moody just to mention but few, hence the CSW’s ability to adequately interact with all these people and ensure their needs are met in satisfaction is crucial.

2. Good listening and problem solving skills.
    One of the ways to ensure customer satisfaction is to listen to them and make them feel important. Listening to the customer will help the CSW understand the customer in order to effectively and efficiently meet the customer’s needs. In view of the fact that CSW exist to educate customer on products and services, answer questions and solve problems among others, one’s ability to proactively solve problems and make customers satisfied will keep customers coming back.

3. Polite and tactful
    A customer service worker must be well mannered and respectful in his or her dealings with people especially customers. In other words show regard for others in speech and in behavior treating customers as partners and not be rude to customers irrespective of the situation because that can mire the image of the company. A CSW should also be tactful in dealing with customers to also ensure the good of the company.

True, same goes for the customer service supervisor or manager. How you treat the staff is how the staff will treat your customers.

If I were to participate in the recruitment process of a customer service team, I would seek for the people, who are able to demonstrate positive aptitude during communication, speak in a confident, not arrogant manner, ready to assist to their colleagues when situation demands such assistance. Their speech should be of a normal speed rate, tone of the voice is cordial and eye contact is maintained intermittently. The candidate should be able to present a case from their professional background or simply from his/her life experience, when they had to communicate with agitated people and helped them to find a resolution of their problem. I would observe the listening skills, verbal and non-verbal communication.
The interviewee should show a sincere interest in the position and be able to tell what he/she knows of the company, they would like to work for, who are our competitors. The candidate should describe the customer as a partner, and show empathy and intention to find a best possible resolution of a problem - together with a customer. Moreover, he/she should demonstrate the willingness to exceed the customer expectations - by scrutinizing the customer’s problem, smooth and quick way of finding mutual beneficial resolution and suggesting when needed some extra offers/discounts - if the company policy/supervisor allows and situation requires.

To summarize, from my point of view, ideal candidate has:

• great communication skills
  • problem solving skills
  • open for cordial and warm dialogue
  • good listener
  • shows empathy
  • takes charge in problem resolutions
  • exceeds customer expectations

As a customer service manager the following is the desired requirements of a Customer Service Worker.

Polite and courteous manners
A friendly disposition goes a long way with customers. Being friendly and helpful allows the customer to get a sense of what is the company’s attitude. An unfriendly customer service employee will drive customers away from the company. I have personally been on the receiving end of poor customer service and is not nice. It’s very unprofessional and costs the company sales and business.

Communication is key. A good way to keep the customer engaged is with communication. Ask questions regarding the customers requests so as to know what would be the best response and solution.

Problem solving. Knowing how to solve the problems of the customer is the root of customer service. Respect for customer and assisting them with the problem of the service or product is all any customer wants.

Informative. The customer service employee would be well informed of the product, understand it’s function and be able to explain and walk the customer through to a solution.

Empathy with the customer, then taking charge of the situation and solving their problem. Once a customer feels you care, then they are able to stay calm and work through the problem.

Building relationships with the customer. Building relationships with the customer will mostly guarantee a repeat customer. If your customer feels they can speak to someone they are familiar with and trust they will probably buy or become a repeat customer.

To summarize a CSW’s role:

Listen and respond to customers’ needs and concerns.
Provide information about products and services.
Take orders, determine charges, and oversee billing or payments.
Review or make changes to customer accounts.
Handle returns or complaints in a polite manner.
Record details of customer contacts and actions taken.
Research answers or solutions as needed.

As a manager of a customer service department seeking to staff employees; I would first seek employees with exceptional customer skills. There are many skills included within the basic customer service skills. One major skill I would seek out are people who have exceptional telephone skills; since the majority of the service provided will be over the telephone, it is essential for the employee to have the ability to always speak in a friendly, clear warm, calm, normal volume. Good communication skills also include using effective grammar as this may be one way we communicate with our customers therefore it is important that it is not convoluted but few words and to the point. Additionally, I would seek is a person who is responsible and not afraid to assume responsibility in resolving customer’s issues. Seeking individuals with good writing skills especially when it comes to E-communication, as it is important that the message is brief, concise and to the point with that said, it is essential to be internet savvy this is one of the ways we provide service and conduct research on service and products. The applicant must have the skills of being a dynamic team player with co-worker’s and colleagues; not only does this make the workplace a more pleasurable place to work and create unity but will create a more productive work environment. “An effective team should bond together in common support of the company’s vision and mission. This is an ongoing process, as the team members come to appreciate each another’s abilities, loyalties, and commitment to individual and group successes. As with any well-functioning relationship, the team is also able to examine itself and address and resolve issues, without turning inward and self-destructing (Van Hook, PhD(n.d).” Time management is another skill I would desire to have in employees; with time management the employee has the capability to work in a less stressful environment while satisfying the needs of customers in a timely manner.

REFERENCE
Van Hook, Steven R. PhD(n.d) Customer Service Teamwork- Electronically Retrieved From: Saylor URL: http://www.saylor.org/cust105#3.4

Hi Anna,

I enjoyed reading your post and you made some very valid points. It is very essential for CSR’s to speak with confidence. It is very obvious when a person is not confident, this clearly comes through even when a person is spekaing on the phone. There have been times when I spoke with a CSR and heard the uncertainty in their voice so I just told them I would call back, I would call back hoping to get a different CSR who spoke with confidence.

Hi Tracy,

I concur with your post. It is essential for a CSR to be polite as this can cause a company to loose customer which will impact their profit. As you stated building relationships with customers aids in retaining customers which will increase revenue as that customer will tell a friend.

As a manager of a company hoping to pick a customer service worker, some of the things I will consider will include good communication skill, this is very vital as it serves as a window that allows the customer to rate the competence of the person listening to him or her. Therefore, there will no compromise in terms of ensuring that the applicant chosen finally will have unquestionable stance in communication.
The next trait to be considered will be the interpersonal abilities. Most times, when customers tell their problems, they want to say it to someone who will empathize with them. This can only be got when the customer service worker has got great interpersonal ability. Even though, some medium of communicating with a customer doesn’t allow the customer to see if the person listening feels their plight, it is very necessary to portray this ability in whatever manner that the customer will feel satisfied.
In the present age that we are, the applicant must possess fundamental computer and telephone skills. This will in no small measure allows him or her to document and communicate effectively with the customer.
The applicant to be selected will need to know how to solve problems as it relates to different customers. The applicant will be made to listen to some problems and proffer solutions to them. That way, it’ll be understood if the applicant can pull through when confronted with similar matters.
Every customer service worker also should show some level of patience. This also will be considered when going through the interview. Depending on the financial stance of the company, the applicant will also be considered based on the educational qualification, this will either be a diploma or the degree certificate the applicant presents in the course of the interview. All these will be carefully observed before picking an employee.

If I were a manager of a customer service department I would prefer candidats with excellent comunication skills and ability to listen attentively to customers as well. I believe that CSW should be able to express thoughts clearly and in a professional manner. A potential worker have to be empathetic listener in order to be able to understand not just a reason of customer’s request but even recognise his mood. Moreover, it’s important to have ability to calm down agitated clients. Because of that, I would be looking for a worker with non-conflicting personality, someone patient and polite. This person should be ready to deal with disruptive people and different problems. Such features as responsibility and reliability would be required as well.

If I were the customer service manager who hired new employees for my personal service. Based on the readings from this unit, the key traits and skills I would like to see in the candidates are:
The most important thing is to have a clear Communication, check that you communicate exactly what you want to say to your customers, use a really positive language, stay nice whatever the situation and never end a conversation without being convinced that the customer is satisfied.
Empathy and patience and consistency, because some customers will be pissed off and others will have many questions asked, You must know how to handle each one of them and provide the same level of service every time.
Customers need to listen carefully to feel that they are being heard. Clarify and rephrase what customers say to make sure you understand them. Try to put yourself in their shoes and show them that you understand them, with phrases like, “It must have annoyed you” or “I understand why you feel offended”.
Candidates need social skills such as politeness, respect others, empathize with others, and use culturally appropriate titles for clients.
Thus, the candidate should have knowledge of the company, the products and other rules and regulations. If all of his attributes and skills are found in a customer service candidate, he or she will be considered for additional training.

Customer service is important because customer service does more than simply provide a means to drive sales.It is also said that when companies have a commitment to a customer service this raises the bar of competition…So if am to hire a customer service officer as a manager,i will be looking out for the following keys.

1. Someone who is patient.
  2. Someone who can talk to customer whenever possible
  3. Good in communicating with the customers.
  4. Someone with a welcoming face/smile

Good Customer Service plays a key role in customer retention. Therefore, I would expect a new candidate to have the skills and mindsets mentioned in Chapter 1: Listen, Empathize and Take Control.

By Listening, you are not only expected listen to customer’s complains and questions carefully, but also proactively work with customers together to figure out their real needs and wants. You will have the identify customers’s feeling appeal and actual needs. If you don’t understand something, I hope you can ask the right questions or seek the right resource to find out before hustling to solution phase.

By Empathize, like what’s mentioned in this book, I hope you will be feeling bad with the customer together instead of “feeling bad for the customer”. In your communication, customer should feel calm and happier after hearing your words instead of feeling indifferent. You should also be able to express clients situation and context to other teams clearly and accurately.

By Taking Control, you are expected to take ownership of all the customer issues assigned to you, which means I hope you can be accountable for those issues from the beginning to the end. Proactively follow up with clients to confirm whether your solution works or not. While you are trying your best to resolve client issues, you should also be aware of the company policy and offerings clearly. Especially when there is no proper solution at hand, you will need to make sure customer’s feelings get handled first and properly.