CUST105: Unit 1 Short Writing Exercise: The Customer Service Worker

As a manager, I would like to recruit new workers with key traits and skills as follow:
A strong motivated candidate, Good communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, knowledge about the organization, customer oriented candidate, empathy, problem solving and capable to adapt to any environment.

Building a reputation for great customer support requires having employees who reflect the key characteristics necessary to be excellent customer service associates.

After all, just because a trailer promises an epic adventure doesn’t mean the movie is; viewers talk and, all too often, ticket sales drop off radically after the opening week (here’s looking at you, Batman v. Superman)
The same goes for businesses. You can promise greatness from your products and services, but follow-up with exceptional customer service is a must. Employing individuals that are going to make users feel appreciated is central and will go a long way toward building a reputation of providing great support. To do so, you need to hire the right people and provide ongoing customer service training.

“What does your company stand for? Do your employees know it? (I hope so!) Just as important, when you hire someone, do you check to ensure that the potential employee’s core values align with yours?” (Shep Hyken, Forbes)

Let’s pretend you’re hiring right now. What personality traits should you be looking for?

Patience
It’s a virtue, after all. You no doubt have explained how a problem has been self-induced by a customer several times already. This, after proper set-up was already explained in detail on a prominent page of your website.

Additionally, you’ve also listened as another customer gave a comprehensive backstory to the issue you’ve been prepared to solve since your conversation began.

Or perhaps you’ve heard a different client’s question and, sighing loudly, mulled over how much of a headache you’ll have after sorting it out. Is retention of this one client that worth it?

Patience is probably something most of us could work on in our professional and personal lives, but it’s a critical element of good customer service.

Patience means not cutting off the client’s question mid-sentence because you’ve answered it before and know where it is going. Patience is what makes customers feel heard and, equally important, supported. It’s what makes them feel confident you’re going to exert the necessary effort to help them achieve their goals, and you’re going to do it with a smile.

Which leads us to…

Friendliness
And not the fake, phony kind.
On a stressful day, you might struggle to put on a happy face when a customer contacts you. That’s understandable, but you try hard, right? It shows.

Your customer will see right through a representative who is clearly not invested in the company they work for or their own happiness and satisfaction.

Friendly customer service means putting customers at ease. They make them feel welcome to ask more questions, consider more options, and, ultimately, make more purchasing decisions.

But if the person you have answering your phone sounds annoyed at being interrupted? If the employee entering the office ahead of the customer doesn’t hold the door open? If the person on the other end of the live chat shows no empathy for the problem being discussed?

You can probably say goodbye to customer retention.

Optimism
This is just friendliness again, right? Always see the bright side, smile on face, “have a great day!” and a wave as the customer exits the room (or signs out of the live chat).
Let’s go beyond that. A genuinely optimistic support person has a few key qualities.

They’re invested in helping your company grow, and believe it can.
They actually care about your customer’s experience, and they firmly believe what your company offers - along with the support they provide - can result in a positive experience. With both of those factors in place, you’re less likely to see headlines such as, “Confessions of a Comcast customer service rep: 'I don’t personally care.'
They don’t jump to negative conclusions, and assume problems can be solved.
They balance their optimism with honesty, giving members of the public and your internal team real answers that help everyone make progress.
Optimistic customer support providers really believe they can provide great service, and therefore, try harder and do provide experiences customers notice and appreciate.

Now, that list reminded us of…

Problem-Solving Skills
This is a big one, because what is the point of voicing a problem to a business if the business is in no way prepared to help solve it? That’s the quickest way to say to your customer: “Hey, have you met my competitors?”

Being able to solve a problem requires a few key strengths:

A strong understanding of the product or service you offer. Your customer service rep must understand every use case of your product, and how it benefits your various audience segments. This will help them more quickly identify how to satisfy the customer’s questions and/or complaints about a recent purchase - or address reason they’re opting not to continue with their purchase.

Confidence and intelligence. Your employee must evoke a sense of control over the situation. They’ve seen this before, and they know what to do. You (the customer) need not worry.

This sense of competence must be conveyed in all manners of communication, whether talking or typing (no spelling and grammar errors!), in-person or otherwise.

An ability to work efficiently. Working with urgency is a must. The customer has to see their support person acting quickly to help them. But don’t swap out quality for speed. Your employees should be able to arrive at the right solutions that benefit everyone involved, quickly.

An ability to read between the lines. Sometimes, the customer doesn’t know all of the right information to tell you. Sometimes, the problem or need they think they have is not in fact the whole picture.

Sometimes, the angriest customer’s problems are simple and the quietest person’s needs are emergent.

Your best representatives are going to be the ones who knows how to ask the right questions, will understand what your customers are telling them, and can fill in the gaps based on their own knowledge and experience. They’ll also be able to read their customers’ tone to understand when they are feeling upset, frustrated or confused, and adjust their actions and the conversation accordingly.

Finding the Right People
We just ran through a few of the key traits of great customer service representatives. What do all of them have in common?

These personality traits aren’t listed on résumés.

These aren’t past job titles, or academic institutions, or skills and experience built over time you’d spot on a piece of paper. These are personality traits to be spotted in the very first interview, and must be maintained in every interaction thereafter.

Luckily, there are plenty of great individuals out there with the right personalities waiting to match their stellar customer service skills with a brand that’s a joy to represent.

And when you find them, they’ll make all the difference.

If I had to hire an Customer Service Worker, I would like them to be able to help customers find solutions that best serve their needs, clearly explain options, and recommend what’s the best action to take. Identify a customers needs , even if the customer is not able to articulate what these needs are. Be have excellent communication skills, Be able to solve problems, Analytical skills, Good listener, Be empathetic, and have a good attitude. Being polite and helpful also assume responsibility of customer issues until they are resolved. They have to be able to solve problems , know the products we sell and how to quickly find them for the customer, they have to know everything there is to know about customer service. Should be able to read verbal-non verbal communication skills. Apologize to a customer if that customer had an bad experience at store or business you are working for. Be able to take orders and handle returns or refunds. Customer service worker shouldn’t mind getting to know the customer and give them your complete attention when they need your help.

If I were the manager of a customer service department I would be very careful and thorough when it came to who to hire for the company. The biggest thing I would be looking for when hiring someone would be that they are calm, polite, understanding, and eager to help. I would expect for whoever I was considering for hiring would put themselves in the customers position which would help the employee better understand what the customer was wanting or needing. Another big thing I would be looking for is patience. When customers are frustrated about something that they might not understand, they sometimes have a bad attitude. I would expect my employees to stay calm and understanding no matter how rude the customer is to them. If I were looking to hire someone, I would also expect them to know everything about the product or service my company provides so that they will be able to better help the customer when they have an issue without having to ask someone else in the company. When hiring someone, I would expect them to go the extra mile, if needed, to fix each and every individual customer need. I would want my employees to have an upbeat attitude even if they are having a bad day. The employees should not bring their issues from home into work. This would create a bad work environment for other employees as well as bad customer service. Lastly, I want my employees to be understanding. Accepting that the customers might not know as much as the employee does about the product or service is a big part of customer service. The employee needs to understand that and be willing to take time to work with the customer to solve the issues at hand. You can’t have a successful business without a good customer service department!

As any business manager hiring new employees I would look for people who are compatible with my wants. I would want the people who are applying for this job position to meet the needs of the job. I would set out rules for the person to follow and decide their self rather they fit the description of the job before me actually talking to them. Some of the rules that I would set would be a person who is good at solving issues, I would give each applicant a scenario to work out. Another rule I would set out is can the person work well with others. I understand that some people can’t control themselves and I want to make sure the business that I am representing has a well customer service reputation.

as a manager of a customer service hiring a new worker the traits and skills that i will look for is customer

• service skills.i need someone to handle questions and problems with a friendly and professional demeanor. costumers might come frustrated and and angry so the customer service worker needs to be patient , understanding , sympathetic and polite.

Problem -solving .customer service worker need to be able to analyze problems and help customers implement solutions.Knowing how to solve the problems of the customer is the root of customer service. Respect for customer and assisting them with the problem of the service or product is all any customer wants.

Communication skills . Customer service worker must engage in listening and speaking skills to accurately assess and respond to a customers questions and needs.the worker needs to be comfortable with communication media including telephone call and emails.

As the manager of the customer service department, the key traits that I am looking for in the applicants that I am interviewing are that they have good people skills, that they know how to handle any situation that is thrown at them and will be able to solve the problem. That they know how to talk about all of the benefits of the product that they are selling to the customer, and take time to get to know the customer. I want the applicants to know their competition, and do the unexpected. The applicants need to know how to handle customer complaints efficiently and effectively. They also need to know how to give the customer their full attention when they have a long line of people at the customer service desk, or on the phone. (you can only deal with one customer at a time.) The applicants need to also know the six message tactics, which are… The straight sell- You need it? We got it. The educational sell- How it works, why you should have it.

As A manger looking to hire new customer service employees I will be looking for several qualities I think are important for my employees to have. To start they should have great commination skills. They should be able to listen to a problem and relate to a customer. Then clearly state how they are going to handle the situation. They need to be able to make the customer feel as if they are the most important thing in that moment. They should be able to learn what a customer’s wants and should be able to take charge. They should be able to help a customer find out what their needs are if the customer is not sure what the need to do with the problem at hand. They should be able to give recommendations and options to the problem or situation. You should always make the customer feel as if they were a partner in fixing this problem. When a problem arrives, they should be able to take ownership as a company employee. One person’s mistake reflects on the company. Employees should know the product and the competition. They should be able to steer the customer to the product that severs the customer best. My employees should be able to treat all customers with pleasant attitudes. Employees should thank customers for there help in solving a problem. They should be able to listen and advise a customer to the best option for them. Be kind, listen take charge, know your information, and make all customers your top priority.

The Testimonial- expert testimonial recommendations, commendations, word of mouth. The Humorous- make them laugh, and win a friend. The Dramatization- act out your message with drama and flair, and last but not least, The Artistic- create a seductive mood, a yearning to bring that feeling to life.

the key traits and skills i would like to see my applicants have are Communication. A study by the research and a consulting firm Millennial Branding showed that 98 percent of employers say effective communication skills are essential for their job candidates,Positive attitude, Cooperation/Teamwork,Goal Oriented ,Flexibility Dependability,Integrity,Creativity.Customer relations is key to understanding consumer motivation. Without assessing customer relations, it’s difficult for a company to know how visible it is in terms of its client base. It’s also hard to figure out how to grow the company without understanding the relationships it has with current customers.In many situations, employees will have to function with fellow coworkers on a project. Even if a job requires most tasks to be completed alone, there will be times when employees will have to work together. Recruiters and hiring managers usually ask potential hires about how well they work as a team and what type of work environment they prefer. Some employers may even bring applicants in for a group interview to see how well they interact with a number of people already on staff.

Being a manager is a tough job to have which comes with many responsibilities. You have to know what capabilities you need from your employees. If I were a manger of s customer service department. I would hire candidate’s that at least have a high school diploma to work in the department. The candidate must be able to know how to deal with rude people and have manners when talking. My employees would need to have a wonderful attitude in order to work as a customer service representative.
Traits
• Positive Attitude
• Respectful
• Organize with information
• Keeps a smile on their face

In any industry, customer service is vital. It make or break the company’s reputation for the customer impression and satisfaction depends on it. If I were tasked to hire new workers in this department, I’ll make sure candidates possess some qualities primarily needed in customer service.

The first key skill that I’ll look into a possible candidate is the listening skills. Knowing and learning new things starts from listening and it is a good training as well. Customer service staffs must know how to listen to their superiors to learn how things must be handled. Instructions, manuals and trainings are given and all these will become useless when workers don’t know how to listen. Also, CSWs should listen, mostly, to their customers to be able to understand their needs and concerns. It is the customers they should give attention to at all times so listening is a must.

The second key skill that a candidate must have is the interpersonal skills. Being able to communicate well to others with the sense of empathy can go a long way in any customer service industry. Showing some humane interaction while providing the needs of the customers is how things must be done.

The last key skill that any person who wish to enter as a customer service worker must possess is the problem-solving skills. This skill is equally important as the first two. Customer service workers must know how to analyze the situation and how to solve them and not to just rely on their superiors when tough problems arise. Doing so in a tactful manner is always a plus.

These skills are only the forefront any managers will look into any potential work candidate. I believe dedication, enthusiasm, and the drive are some of the most important qualities as well to consider in finding the perfect person to fit in any job because these are the qualities of the person who’s willing to grow.

If I am a manager of a customer service department and hiring new workers I would be looking for someone who have some experience and if you don’t have experience I will test you on what would you do in a situation. I would test others that have no experience because I do not want my company to look bad. I will prepare everyone to do the right thing and react to situations in a perfect manner. My key is have a positive attitude, big great smile at all times when interacting with a customers, always follow the rules of the company at all times, make your customer feel welcome and appreciated, always satisfy your customer, communicate with your customer and listen to your customer.
I want my employees to go out and know what they’re talking about and not let the customer to tell them what to do basically get a chance when you first get hired to know about your job and if you’re not sure ask for help instead of listening to your customer.
A customer love to shop at a place when they feel love and can talk about situations in peace instead of a problem .

As the manager of the customer service department, hiring new applicants, I am looking first at appearance. Is my applicant dressed appropriately, is he/she neat and well groomed? If I am comfortable about the appearance of my applicant I am looking for enthusiasm. How is he/she sitting in their chair, are they fidgety? Are they pleasant upon meeting me, greeting me with a firm handshake and good eye contact? Are they good at the initial small talk that takes place when first meeting someone? Once we get past the formalities of meeting someone they need to impress, what is my first impression?
I will ask questions about their background and work experience. Will they answer using a lot of “um’s” or will they speak with confidence and poise? When asking about previous work experience, how long did they stay at their last job and the jobs before. Do they jump around from job to job because they aren’t happy with pay, coworkers or their boss? What were the reasons for leaving previous jobs? Then I want to look seriously at their experience in dealing with people. How do they deal with an angry customer or an order that isn’t going as planned? How do they plan to deal with a customer when we messed up their order?
During this interview I am trying to get a sense of their personality and a feel for how they will fit in with our current team. We are looking for employees that not only work hard and do their best for the customer but also how they get along with others. We don’t want to add anyone to the team that will create any friction among the team members in place. I would want to bring them for a tour of the facility and sales office to get a read on what they think of our operation and what we represent. You are going to be a much better salesman if you believe in what you are selling. You have to “buy” in to what the business does and what it represents.
If I get to this point with a potential employee, and he/she seems interested in the position I would ask about what salary they were hoping to get. If the expectations were realistic, I can then hire the person to join our team of salesmen.

bonnetterk
Jan 17
As a customer service manager, I would be looking for someone who would be:

L= Listener, a good listener, by repeating what the customer is saying, and stating let me get this right you said. Someone who knows how to get the problem solve by asking question; such as how I may be of help to you, and what is the complaint.

A= Apologize; Being a Customer Service worker they should know how to assure the customer that they understand their frustration, be prepared to apologize even though they are not at fault. Show kindness and respect always.

S= Solve; show (if you are able) that you can solve complaint. For example: Here’s what we are going to do to help you, or I’m not sure how to solve this, let me check with my manager. Be honest with the customer.

T= Thanks; Learn how to say thank you. Be sincerity and show kindness.

Other key traits to become a successful customer service worker:
use eye contact when talking to the customers,
 speak clearly in a friendly voice,
 smile with a calm face,
 never have a body language attitude
 don’t’ get caught up in customer personal attack, let them vent
 satisfied your customer by understanding and knowing their needs
 give the customers a favorable impression by giving them your full attention
The best CSWs look for opportunities to help, respect their customers, and treat their customers as valued partners in the company’s success

I will take it into consideration if the person has a little knowledge in customer service.
Also I be more focused on their communication skills and whether they can exhibit the customer service technics.

If I were a manager searching for new workers, they would most definitely have to be great with customers. Being a manager comes with many responsibilities, so I will have to try my best and search for every quality that will make the company succeed. Throughout the whole interview I should see that you are trying to make a favorable impression as you would do for a customer. Some skills and traits should be how well they manage verbal and non-verbal communication. You should also be able to understand customers’ needs and wants.
In each person I would look for someone who is listening and responds. The person should have good communication skills. I would consider having a group interview to see how the candidates act in a group. You will need to show respect and be able to handle almost any situation thrown at you. I would like for the applicants to have some kind of education and proof of high school diploma or GED. The person should be able to read and write with no problems. Knowledge is always important in the work field. You should be able to deal with all kinds of people. I would like someone who shows to be understanding with whoever the customers are. The candidate needs to be understanding and patient.
Always be polite to any and everyone who walks into the establishment. It is always important to have good listening skills to understand the needs and wants of the customers. I believe dedication, enthusiasm, and the drive are some of the most important qualities as well to consider in finding the perfect person to fit in any job because these are the qualities of the person who’s willing to grow. Also, they should be able to build relationships with the customers. If the customers feel treated like people, they will come back.

Everyone knows that being a customer service worker is a challenging task and as the manager, I am looking for someone that possess great character traits. As the hiring manager, I know that great customer service is a must for any company to be successful. Our company employees’ should be able to relate with people, no matter their: age, race, gender, and etc. The type of person I’m looking to hire, must be able to understand the customer’s wants and needs. The candidate must be able to provide all customers with the important factors of this company’s products or service provided. I am looking for someone that is able to communicate both verbally and non-verbally. The employee must be able to handle any situation thrown their way in a professional manner. As an employee of this company, you must be able to create small talk between you and the customer by mimicking the tone of the customer. The candidate must be able and willing to learn old and new techniques to help them better assist the customer. At this company, we will never criticize or try to destroy any of our top competitors. He/she must be able to provide all customers with their undivided attention and help resolve any issues in a timely manner. All candidates must have the ability to enhance a customer’s satisfaction with the company. I’m looking for dedicated employees who are willing to help make customers feel like they are a valuable asset to the company. All candidates must be willing to up-sell any product or services offered by the company. It will be your job to help customers find the solutions and make recommendations that best serve their needs. Most importantly, all candidates must be able to listen, empathize, take control, and show respect to each and every customer.

As a manager who is seeking to hire some customer service representatives (CSR), I would, for entry level positions, seek CSR’s good interpersonal skills and polite and patient personalities in prospective employees.
Since CSR’s will always be the first people who customers encounter either in person or at a call center it’s important to have CSR’s with polite and patient personality traits. This is what will also allow for the customers to feel welcome in an environment with friendly staff or that they will have all their questions or concerns addressed with a call center CSR.
A polite and patient CSR will see that the customer receives the help or services that are needed. This will allow the customer to be at ease when needing to find the proper assistance and answers to any questions they may have. Some customers may have more questions they need to ask about products or services and will want to feel at ease with being able to have this information provided. Patient CSR’s even if they don’t know all the answers to the questions will take the time to make sure the customers questions are adequately answered.
The interpersonal skills are very important in providing great customer service also since how the CSR communicates both verbally and nonvebally the information to the customers. So, not being over assertive or having unpleasant non verbal skills which has an influence as well. How the information being communicated will also have an impression on how the customer receives the information such as friendly and calm and in a proper speaking pace as well.
In conclusion, interpersonal skills and friendly and polite service are the most important determining factors in prospective CSR applicants. Customers actually focus on the level of service alot so making sure the ppl who are making the first impressions also have friendly impressions as well.

Through reading this unit, the traits and skills that I will look for as a manager of a customer service department will be:

1. Someone who can create a favorable impressions with customer and help ensure that their needs have been met. Someone who can let customers feel that their is nothing more important than helping them.
  2. A CSW who will appreciate and respect our customers. Customers choose a specific store for a reason and you never know what they have been through to get there. Some travel with the bus and are waiting for hours at the bus stop they least they want is to be disrespected and feel unappreciated.
  3. A CSW who is able to listen, empathize and take charge of the situation.
  4. A CSW who is can express theirself best by using effective verbal and nonverbal (physical )techniques.