CUST105: Unit 1 Short Writing Exercise: The Customer Service Worker

As a manager I understand that the people representing the business we work for are important. Since customer service workers are often the first and last people customers deal with while in a business, it is important to ensure that the csws have the best traits and attitudes for the job.

I have often dealt with gas station attendants or others that work alone in a certain position who do not seem very interested in what they are doing and the business they are working for. I would not want the face of my company to act apathetic and bored with everyone that goes to them for help.

My ideal customer service workers would be people that take interest in helping others. They would need to have a can-do attitude and go out of their way to uphold the company and ensure my customer’s needs are being met.
I would search for people who have had experience in dealing with people before and know how to handle complaints and problems considerately and efficiently.

In this unit, we determined three important skill sets that effective Customer Service Workers should have. As a manager, I would be looking for candidates with strong communication, problem-solving, and customer service skills. The ability to listen fully with the intent to understand and communicate ideas effectively are paramount to the success of the employee and the business as a whole.

This unit described the three elements included in the highest level of customer service: listening, empathizing, and taking charge. When interviewing employees, I would search for candidates who possessed the emotional intelligence and compassion to empathize with customers rather than simply sympathizing with their pain. I would also look for self-starters, individuals with a strong work ethic, and those that can behave consistently and responsibly. These factors determine the prospective employee’s abilities to operate at the highest level of customer service in a normal, day-to-day business setting.

The difficult reality is that customers are likely to judge an entire company or brand based on their experience with one employee. Once the shopper is in the store, all the money spent on marketing, product development, and management comes down to how happy the customers are with the service they receive. The attitude of the customer service worker (CSW) is what counts above all else. When considering these factors, it seems natural to value candidates with a high degree of professionalism, a positive workplace attitude, and commitment to the mission and values of the organization.

It would be vital that each of my employees spend their work day looking for opportunities to help, respect their customers, and treat their customers as valued partners in the company’s success.

The ability to assume ownership is vital to the success of a CSW who is dealing with an unhappy customer. When customers are unhappy, they want to feel heard and acknowledged. It is important in these resolutions to assume ownership of the problem, empathize, become the customer’s advocate, and champion the cause for correcting the initial mistake. A Customer Service Worker must be mature and disciplined enough to assume ownership and initiate problem solving with a dissatisfied customer.

If the customer is unhappy, it is crucial that the CSW maintains professionalism and adheres to the standards and values of the company inside that interaction, even if the interaction itself is difficult or uncomfortable. Again, professional behavior requires maturity and compassion.

If these strengths and attributes are built into the fabric of my team, the success of our business is ensured. The business will thrive as long as the employees can meet customer needs and bring about satisfaction.

Costumer service refers to the act of taking care of the costumer’s needs by delivering and providing professional, helpful and high quality service to a customer needs. Being a good costumer service worker requires several traits and skills. As a hiring manager, I would like to see those traits and skills in potential candidate:
• Good communication: it’s surely one of the mist important skill. The CSW needs to be able to communicate verbally as well as non-verbally (mail for example). Clear enunciation in important so the customer clearly understand what the CSW explains. Talking another language is always good too, especially English, if it’s not your first language
• Promptness: the CSW needs to be able to deliver a resolution as quick as possible. Just saying hey to someone as soon as they enter the office is already a great point.
• Listening: the CSW must give his full attention to the customer and to be sure to hear all of his issues so he can take care of the problem more easily. active listening helps build a connection.
• Empathy: the CSW needs to show the customer that he understands the issues and that he wants to help.
• Respect: it helps maintaining a good relationship with the customer
• Problem solving: the CSW must be able to understand and define the issue in order to solve it.
• The CSW needs to know the company in which he works and all of its policies.
• Politeness: saying “hello,” “good afternoon,” and “thank you very much,” are all part of basic customer service

As the manager of a customer service department looking for new hires, I would have to say the most important factor to take into consideration, is how empathetic an applicant appears to be. If they can see the issue from a customer’s point of view, they are more likely able to get to the bottom of the problem, and empathy is something that can’t be learned like other traits can be.

Another trait important to a customer service worker is being able to listen and then convert that skill to being able to find quick solutions to inquiries. The skill of communications, both verbal and non-verbal, is a must to success as a customer service worker.

A customer service worker candidate should be pleasant and considerate. Sometimes irate customers will try a customer service worker’s patience, but they must strive to stay calm and collected at all times.

Further down the list of traits is problem solving. While some problems can be taught how to be dealt with, others must be looked up on a computer or other device. The customer service worker must be able to categorize issues in a timely manner and this is where problem solving traits come into play.

Finally, a good customer service representative can gain or lose a company customers. If they are polite and know their job, customer service can be a boon to business. Contrary, if they are impolite and don’t come across as confident, customers will not have a good experience and that can hurt business.

As a customer service manager, it is my first job, to see these traits are met in my interview process, and hire the best customer service candidate(s) for the positions.

As a hiring manager for a customer service department I would want to see a set of skills and traits. Not just one certain thing but to make sure that the people I am hiring all have these skills. It would be to listen to what the customer has to say. Actually pay attention and help them any way you could. Be respectful to the customer, do not act like what ever they are needing help for is not that important. We are all customers as well as workers and we need to treat people the way we want to be treated
Our workers need to be up to date with our policies as they are changed. This is to help them and the customers. It is also good for them to be self-motivated so that they keep themselves up to date with new products and what they need to help the customers.
They need to have excellent communication skills. It is important for an employee to know how to communicate with a customer based off of different things. Older customers for example might need more help because it could be something new that they have never used compared to a younger customer who already knows how things work. The older customer will need more attention and someone who is patient.
Patience is a great thing to have when you are trying to explain things to a customer and they are having a hard time understanding what you are trying to convey to them. It is a little harder trying to help them over the phone or online then it would be to help them in person. Because in person you can at least see what they are looking at and what they need help with.
So all this together would make a potential employee look like they are ready for the job. We would need dedicated people who are willing to do all these things and more. People who are will to go above and beyond for what they need to do at work. That they are willing to help the customers in which ever way they can. If they can not do it they need to try and see if they can find a person who can show them how to help them.

Employees are the veins of an organization not well selected, trained and compensated could lead to a catastrophic end of an organization. Most customers have this perception that who an employee is who the company is and first impression has long lasting effect on customers, how they are treated on the first day will be their testimony for the rest of their lives. A customer service representative will act as the mouth piece of the organization therefore, As a manager some of the traits I will be looking out for are:

1. customer service representative who has good communication skills and can interact with customers on behalf of the organization
  2. someone who is willing and ready to help customer (ability to solve problems)
    3.someone who is fluent in any language he or she assign to speak
  3. someone who listens to costumers.

What I would look for if I were hiring staff for the customer service department would be integrity, honesty, empathy and a drive to help others and solve problems; be the type of person who takes pride in themselves and in their abilities; be able to handle various situations on their own and as a team player; be efficient and trustworthy; be able to handle any situation that may arise without getting irate or anxious; show excellent judgment in making quick and sound decisions; and be able to think outside the box when the need arises. They would need to be knowledgeable about the product or service they were representing and willing to continually learn new things. They would need to be confident, but not overly so; they need to know their limitations and never be too proud to ask for help. They would need to have pride not only in themselves but pride in their capabilities. If they were not highly experienced, but showed a strong desire and willingness to learn, I would be willing to hire them and train someone with the right attitude.
These traits are needed for any type of work, but especially in customer service. In dealing with someone who has spent their money and/or time on a product or service, there is no middle ground. They are either going to be happy or unhappy with the outcome. Unhappy customers usually don’t return and because of the poor experience they had, they most likely will tell as many people as they can about it. If they tell 10 people how unhappy they are with a product, service or company, those 10 people will most likely tell someone and so on whereas happy customers are returning customers and they are the best advertisement there is. Everyone wants to be treated with respect and everyone wants what they pay for. If you keep your customers satisfied and happy, you keep your business. It is as simple as that.

Company X is now hiring the best candidates in customer service department, full time job with good salary and stability and continuous training with the following requirements:
Fresh college graduate or high school diploma.
Good communication skills including:active listening to customers, empathy, apology and solving of problems as quick as possible . Also can communicate with different people of different cultures and understanding them.
Good in English and Computer skills.
Good persuasion and presentation skills.
Can work successfully in a teamwork.

Based on the information provided in the lessons the job posting should have the following.

Job Posting: Customer Service Representative

Job Requirements:

• The candidate must have two years of successful face to face or remote customer service center experience.

• The candidate must have effective writing skills.

• The candidate must be proficient in observational learning, speaking, investigating, and posses the uncanny ability to work with detail.

• The candidate must have experience with problem solving, data entry, active listening, social media, and proper phone educate.

Specific Duties:

• Listen and respond to customers needs and concerns.

• Provide information about products and services.

• Take orders, determine charges, and oversee billing and payments.

• Review or make changes to customer accounts.

• Handle returns or complaints.

• Record details of customer contacts and action taken.

• Research answers or solutions as needed.

• Refer customers to supervisors, managers, or others who can help.

• copying, faxing, scanning, emailing, and live chat.

• Inbound and outbound calling.

Education/Training and Qualifications:

• Must have a high school diploma or GED.

• Must have good communication and interpersonal abilities, and fundamental computer and telephone skills.

Summary:
The job of the customer service representative is to answer questions, resolve issues, and provide for customer satisfaction.
Customer service representatives provide a number of functions within the industry, sometimes working face to face, other times in the customer service center using the telephone and computer technology.
The position is typically full time and frequently requires no more than a high school diploma.
The position will require some in-house training, and possible licensure depending on the nature of the job.
Important skillsets to develop is effective communication, team work ethic, problem solving, trouble shooting, and generalized customer service tactics.
Customer service representatives must handle questions and problems with a friendly and professional demeanor.
Customer service representatives must be patient, understanding, sympathetic, polite, and create positive relationships with his/her customer, and represent the company well to help ensure good business standing.

As the customer service manager in our department, interested in hiring new workers for my staff, I am going to be very concerned with the “people skills” of the candidates that I interview and eventually hire. It is possible that I may be able to teach certain skills and key phrases, but the person most suited to this work will need to have a natural gifting and concern for people. In the interview process, I will note at first their presentation of themselves when they walk into my office. Did they smile upon entering the room? Were they confident in introducing themselves? Did they seem show an interest in helping our customers have the best possible experience in our company as possible? How well do they communicate? Do they speak in sentence structure that’s easy to follow and understand? Do they know when to be quiet and listen? I would give them a few scenarios of possible customer dissatisfaction and ask them to describe how they would respond in these situations? Did they seem to understand that the customer is always right? Do they know a lot about our line of work or have an interest in learning all that they can so that they will be an expert in our field? Were they constantly on their phone during our interview, or engaged in our conversation? These aspects of communication skills would be very important to me. Studies show that when we are able to provide excellent service recovery, we can have the potential for excellent customer loyalty. I would want the candidate to understand the importance and value of the work they would be doing. For you see, if we have no customers, we have no jobs! Making them satisfied and resolving their issues is important for our future business, and that’s why I need people who are “people smart”!

Based on this course and the readings I have done in it, there are many good qualities I would like the employees having. I would expect clear, good communication with the customers. Having good communication with customers could make or break the company. In this course, it mentions that a percentage of business is loss because of the front line people not having clear/good communication skills. I would also like for my new employee to follow all the basic rules of a customer service worker. That would mean the appropriate tone, answer time, knowing how and when to transfer a call, not leaving the customer on hold for too long, and etc. Another skill I would prefer the employees to have is patience. This is a very important skill for a customer service employee to have. Every now and then, there is a customer who is agitated. With being agitated comes harsh words and impatience with the customer service employee. I would expect my employee to calmly handle the customer and give them the best experience he can. Dealing with these types of customers is not an easy task, but a great customer service worker knows what to say and does not take things personally. An employee who I will take on should know about the company and our products. If a customer calls in with a basic question about the company, I would expect that my employee knows what the answer was. I would only require that the customer service employee knows the basics of our product and what it does. Most customers expect to call in and whoever answers should be able to answer the question they have. It may just even be about the product and what we do. All the skills I have listed would make for an excellent customer service employee.

If I were the manager of a customer service department flipping through resumes deciding who to invite to an interview, I would look for these traits: a gentle and friendly personality; confidence; positivity; persistence; creativity; logic; someone who knows when to follow directions and when to make an exception, but mostly follows them and simply makes suggestions when they see ways the directions might be improved; intuitiveness and being attuned to other people’s needs and moods; and a variety in age and gender.

Skills would also affect my choice as I read their resumes. The skills I’d be on the watch for would be: problem solving; clear, concise, and professional (while still friendly) communication skills in both spoken and written language, the ability to intentionally use their non-verbal communication skills and adapt to various people, technical skills and ability to use the necessary tools like a phone and computer, and the skills necessary for the specific role (if any).