CUST105: Unit 1 Short Writing Exercise: The Customer Service Worker

If I was the manager of a customer service department and I was looking to hire new workers for my staff I would be looking for specific traits and skills. I would be looking for someone that can help customers how ever mad or up set they are. The person would have to be very kind to all people and show respect to everyone. They would not only have to be good to customers but also loyal to the job like showing up to work on time and getting things done in a timely matter with out rushing. I would be wanting someone that cares and can show empathy to the customers to let them know that’s everything is okay, and they would be able to figure out things together. The person would have to be a good listener and give full attention to the customer so that they could understand each other and get things done. I as the manager would also try to be a great person to my employees and show them the respect they deserve. They would have to have good communicating skills and also good problem-solving skills. I would expect my new workers to come to work stress free and without bringing any of there problems from home to the job.

When it comes to staff development for customer service, the first and most important thing is how they deal with the customers. Testing their interpersonal skills would be a must. A good background in customer service would be a high priority. I’d also check into how motivated they are. Did they call back? Do they stay on top of it? And furthermore, how do they see the brand/store? All of this plays into interpersonal interaction and brand value. They need to be able to represent the company and help the brand sell. I’d also like them to be willing to undergo more thorough training to further bolster their customer service skill set.

Interpersonal interaction is a top priority. They need to be able to keep the customer at ease while also facilitating the sale. It’s vital that the customer feel like they are important, and even more-so, that they are involved. Even if the customer isn’t sure of what they want, they will still have a very good idea on what they are looking for from the transaction. They need to be effective listeners to help put the customer at ease. Maybe the customer is having a rough time, and needs to vent a bit. They need to let them within reason, as well as being able to properly empathize with them. Now, that’s not to let the conversation fully devolve from the sale, but it allows both the customer and representative the ability to create a rapport.

Next is the willingness to further their training. The markets constantly fluctuate, as do the needs of the customer. It’s vital that the new employee is willing to make ammendments and changes as the market sees fit. One of the best ways to increase perceived value is by showing that your employees value the market ideals, and the changes that happen in light of them. Before a customer can ever take your business seriously, the representative has to show that they do so first.

The job of the customer service worker is to answer questions, resolve issues, and provide customer satisfaction. A good customer service strategy is to work with your customers as partners in the quick, smooth, and satisfactory completion of a transaction As a manager of a customer department hiring new workers, the key traits and skills I would watch out for would include; sensitive listening and speaking skills to accurately assess and respond to a customers’ questions and needs, problem solving skills to be able to analyze problems, research answers, and help customers implement solutions, Empathy and the communication appeals and tactics.

In the line of business growth in any organization or small scale business the personnels in place play a key role to its development and that is why good customer relations, paying attention and the ability to communicate properly are skills that must be possessed by those employed in the organization.

A good customer relationship is a mode of creating awareness to the public of the product and services that are available in the organization and the skill to retaining and growing customer base. In addition, the ability to pay attention is to listen attentively to the customer view and opinion so that things that should be improved on will be known and in all to make the customer satisfied.

It is also pertinent as a manager of a Customer service department when hiring personnel to be on the lookout for persons who possess good problem solving skills which entails the ability to analyze, research, find and implement the best solution at the shortest possible time to meet customers demand. Also, the person must possess a polite attitude, exhibit a patient and professional approach in the dispensation of his/her duties. With such skills, the growth of the organization will be standing on solid ground as the employees will require little or no supervision to perform their duties.

Furthermore, attributes that are beyond skills which is personal traits that employees must possess to grow the company are a friendly attitude, portraying calmness in situations that border around being on the receiving end of hostile behavior from a customer.

The ability to convince a customer and channel complaints that are beyond their jurisdiction to the proper authorities,by so doing a company with these type of employee/employees would have acquired good personnel to be able to market the company’s goods and services, resolve challenges been faced and grow the organization to a height that can only be imagined

I am looking to hire new customer service representatives that create favorable impressions, understand customers’ needs and wants, and can communicate effectively through verbal and non-verbal communication. Favorable impressions must be implemented through effective communication, problem-solving, and customer service skills. Applicant must be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of how to interact with customers based on their needs and wants, as well as effectively assisting them with their buying process. The ability to show sincerity through non-verbal communication is a must! Customers must know that they have your undivided attention while receiving assistance from our customer services representatives. Maintaining eye-contact and providing customer service with a smile is what we are about!

From what I’ve learned in my couple of years as a CSW, Customer service workers are the first point of “contact”. Most of the time first contact with a company is what will determine whether a customer will be coming back or not. In my opinion these following point are what my employees should possess as part of my team.

For one, Good Communication and Interpersonal skills are very important. A good customer service worker should have the ability to communication. Verbally and non-verbally. My Employee must know how to approach customers correctly. They must know what to say, when to say it and how to say it. Both verbal and non-verbal communication cues must be used concurrently to ensure effective communication. Future employee’s interpersonal skills are also key. How a CSW interacts with customers is very important no matter the circumstances. The employee will meet and deal with a lot of people from different backgrounds and different personalities. Some will be happy, annoyed, angry, sad, aggressive. No matter how hard or easy the customer may be to help, my employee should know how to handle themselves in a way that is correct for each situation.

Another quality I would like my employees to have is good listening skills. One thing customer look for is attention, it’s being made feel important and taken care of. Listening to the customer will help the employee understand what the customer needs, what will make the customer happy. Not only will they leave happy and be happy to come back, they will always keep in mind that this store has problem solving employees.

And last but certainly not the least, one of the most important traits customer service employees should have is a humble mindset. A customer service worker must be well mannered and respectful enough to know that we are here to help. You have to keep in mind that we you’re purpose in this business is to serve the customer. In other words, show regard for others in speech and in behavior, treating customers as you look to be treated. Besides, at the end of the day, the people who come into your business are the people who pay your bills.

If am a manager of a customer service department hiring new workers.first of all they must have a good communication skills,how they respond and listen to customers questions and needs.he or she must possess good listening and speaking skills to accurately respond to customers questions and problems.they must be able to use communication media such as telephones,email and able to communicate clearly and accurately using written and spoken styles.
Problem solving skills-They must know how to analyse problems,research answers and help implement solutions and also handle customers complaints efficiently and effectively.
The golden model of customer service skills-listen,empathize and take charge.
Listen-they must know how to give customers their full attention,make the customer feel at that moment there is nothing more important than helping them.
Empathize-they must know how to make the customers problem their own,help find solutions rather than show pity.
Take charge-maintain focus on what they are able to do rather than what they aren’t able to do.they must make the customers feel they have a champion on their side.because customers are likely to judge a company by the person they are interacting with.the attitude of a customer service worker is what counts above all else,finally he or she must have the right attitude to handle questions and problems friendly and professionally.

Our company is a Healthcare Medical Institution that caters for the health care and services of people living in in West Florida. Our company was established in 1999 and provides the best health services in this locality. As part of our expansion, we are seeking to hire a well talented and experienced customer service representative as a Front desk customer service representative at our new Jamaica office. The right candidate for this position will normally demonstrate exceptional professional and positive qualities in a fast paced working environment and should possess the follow qualities and additional:

EXPERIENCE: This entry level position requires limited prior working experience as the preferred candidate will be trained on the job however, motivation for desiring this work must be demonstrated by the candidate.

QUALIFICATIONS: A minimum diploma or bachelors degree is required to quality for this position in any management, health related and science courses for the candidates. However, additional qualifications in a customer service certification will be a plus for the candidate

QUALITIES: The preferred candidate must posses the following qualities at the minimum.

Excellent customer relations skills; he/she must be able to listen carefully and speak with the customers to understand their complaints, take details and refer them to the appropriate health section to be attended to.

Strong communication skills: both verbal, written and non-verbal gestures while obtaining patients history, contact information and instructions on the next actions

Ability to provide information on our services to patients by ensuring the clients are calmly attended to, retrieve records of previous visit and purpose of follow-up

Management capabilities to ensure clients are not upset or inconvenienced due to long waiting times

Initiative and ability to work with minimal direction while referring only major cases to the supervisor

Ability to perform duties as outlined by superior and providing satisfactory customer experience

Ability to solve problems that are unique and ensuring pleasant welcoming of the clients.

Basic computer literacy and familiarity with Microsoft office packages.

Interested applicants should send their application package to the address below

1 Like

recruit a good employee is not easy that it looks, especially in customer service because it is the most sensitive point of the business, it is the tree that hides the forest.
a good employee is the one who will do the best to make the company better in the eyes of the customer, first of all he should be patient and attentive, then he must have a clear communication skills, and an ability to use a positive language, after that an ability to understand the customer and persuasion skills are must, finally it’s an obligation to have full knowledge of the product and some acting skills. There are many secondary traits that the employee should have, but by giving a chance to the employee to learn is to make him someone competent.

Based on this unit’s reading, these are the key traits and skills I would want to see in applicants:
Customer-service skill sets.
A CSW needs to handle questions and problems in friendly and professional manner. As a matter of fact, customers may come from many different backgrounds, be frustrated and confused, be angry and difficult—so the skills i willi will hire a CSW based on is how patient, understanding, sympathetic, polite, and how effectively he or she can create a positive relationship to help resolve the problem at hand, and represent the company well to help ensure good ongoing business standing…
Customer relations, refers to the way a business communicates and interacts with the public to gain and retain customers. It is necessary for a business to cultivate good customer relations to attract and keep a customers.
Customer relations is key to understanding consumer motivation. Without assessing customer relations, it’s difficult for a company to know how visible it is in terms of its client base. It’s also hard to figure out how to grow the company without understanding the relationships it has with current customers.

Customer Relationship Management explains the relationship between suppliers, technology, and customers, which together provide the infrastructure for customer support in a business environment so the customer service worker i will be hiring will have a good customer relationship management trait.Managing relationships with customers has become a critical organizational competency. Get winning strategies for acquiring and retaining customers by leveraging the latest advanced technologies. I learn form this course is that how treat customer and how give them satisfaction this factor also help us to improve our business prospective.

Building relationships

The key to exceptional service lies in building relationships with people – staff and customers. The life of a business depends upon the quality of relationships with these two groups of people. By understanding and focusing on the needs of employees and the needs of customers, businesses create mutually beneficial relationships. Without the best efforts of its employees, businesses struggle. Without the loyalty of their customers, businesses fail.

Building a business on relationships to products gives no sustainable competitive edge. Other stores can offer the same products. Very few stores can sustain a price advantage against larger competitors. However, by creating relationships with your customers, your business can achieve and sustain a competitive edge.

the key trait and skills i will like to see a a CSW is how competent he or she is in these three treat listen, empathize and how he or she can take charge of situations

As a Manager of a customer service department hiring new worker, the key traits and skills i would want to see in applicants as I choose whom to interview are;

1. Attentive listener and a good communicator.
  2. Knowledgeable about our products and services.
  3. Able to take orders, determine charges and oversee billings or payments
  4. Able to review or make changes to customer’s account
  5. Able to handle returns or complaints professionally and to the satisfaction of the customers
  6. Able to record details of customers contacts and action taken
  7. Ability to research answers or solutions as needed.
  8. Ability to professionally refer customers to supervisors, managers or others who can help.

Customer relations is the key to understanding consumer motivation. Without assessing customer relations, it’s difficult for a company to know how visible it is in terms of its client base. It’s also hard to figure out how to grow the company without understanding the relationships it has with current customers.
as a manager hiring someone to work in my customer service department, the biggest skill set I am hoping to see in someone is going to be empathy. I need someone who can care about others. I need to see passion and emotion. In my opinion, empathy is a character/ habit that can be controlled. The best way for me to find this is to have some role play situation. These situations may not be related to the type of work that someone is going to do, but related to general life situations. I want to see how someone is going to react to help someone else. I want to see their reaction when handling emotional situations. This will help me to see how they think and help me see if they are empathetic. I can train someone how to work within the company - I can teach them the knowledge of the business and the technical and none technical aspects of the products we sell or service. this should help tailor their emotional traits in the right direction but first, they have to be correctable.

Imagine yourself standing between the aisles of grocery store lost in variety of products. You’ve blocked off most of the aisle pushing a stroller with one hand and carrying the baby with the other. You desperately need a help in finding your sunscreen.

While there are several customer service assistants, only one stands out in a crowd. She guides you to the items you need, providing the best service experience.

There is a considerable difference between this workers. She has an outgoing and friendly personality with lots of energy, excellent verbal communication skills, paired with strong listening skills.

She is willing to assist in any way that she can. More importantly, she is committed to provide the best customer service.

With that said, let’s get into some specific skills that every support employee can master to satisfy and surpass the customer’s needs.

1. Patience

This is really important to customers, who often reach out to support when they are confused and frustrated.

2. Attentiveness

The ability to really listen to customers is so crucial for providing great service. It’s also important to be mindful and attentive to the feedback that you receive at large .

3. Communication skills

When it comes to important points that you need to relay clearly to customers, keep it simple and leave nothing to doubt.

4. Knowledge of the Product

Without having a deep knowledge of how your product works, you won’t know how to help customers when they run into problems.

5. Ability to use positive language

Negative language conveys a poor image to customers. Sometimes it causes conflict and confrontation where none is necessary or desired. Speak about what can be done instead of what cannot be done. Suggest alternatives and choices available to the customer.

Any business setup without a good relationship with customers at heart, organises to expect losses. Outside profit making which is the ultima aim of operating a business, customer relationship, is the most essential and it makes profit making possible because a sustained customers is a plus to the operation of the business.

In hiring a new CSW as a staff in my establishment or department, the key trait and skills I would love to see in the applicant are as follows.

1. Good communication skills
  2. Good Attitude
  3. Listening Ability
  4. Patience
  5. Ability to solve problem,
  6. Facial appearance
  7. Must possess full knowledge about what a CSW is all about
  8. Diligence in serving
  9. Must be ready to put customers first because they are the bed rock of every organization.
  10. Empathy
  11. Must have a common goal.

Building up a firm, and having a strong relationship with customers by giving them prompt replies, making sure that nothing matters most to you than them, talking about their benefit and not what you have to gain, gives the business firm an edge that even when competition comes.

Customers relation is a key to understanding customers motivation. The applicant must be ready to make the features of the products or business known to the customers at all time, give a prompt answers to their need, and must be ready to serve at all times.

CSW are like stewards to the customers. An individual applying for such duties must be up and doing at all time, possess a loving voice, must mimic d customer and accommodative too. He/she must always put up a receptive face, understand customers needs and want, have a good dress sense, create a favourable impression, know the customers, do a followup, either through calls or emails, take charge, be confident, and also enhance customers satisfaction.

1 Like

If i was a manager of a customer service department hiring, I will look for these traits and skills
1.empathy:your ability to empathize with customers
2. A warm and friendly attitude
3. Patience
4. Ability to stay calm
5. Excellent communication skills
6.a good listener
A good customer service agent can help in the growth of a business, whether small scale or large scale.
The customer service worker has the ability to create bonds between a customer and the company/organization. The CSW has to possess these set of skills.

If I was the manager of a customer service department I would first state clearly what type of philosophy my business has regarding dealing with customers and handling the service. I would keep in consideration my first impression of the candidate: did he\she came on time to the interview? Did she or he greet me with a smile? Was she or he dressed appropr iately? In customer service such as in sales, first impression is very important. In my opinion welcoming the customers and make the customers feel comfortable is very important. It is not important to answer all the questions but show the customers that we are listening to what he\ she says and we are there to help. Good customer service means being in control of the situation, knowing your resources and knowing to control yourself.
In conclusion,if I have to hire somebody, I would look for professionalism,comptence, politness, loyalty and positive attitude.

If I were the head of a customer-oriented customer service, new employees on the problem-solving aspects and difficult customers.the possible situations and tactics until they are new. his arrival, the new employee must be supervised. It is his immediate superior who must welcome him. He gives him the portrait of the company, tells him about the value and the mission entrusted to him, the products and services, of conditions of work, specify the desired behaviors and the rules to be respected, etc.

As a customer service manager, I want new employees to be discreet and honest in order to respect the confidentiality of the information provided by customers. Good language skills and a good knowledge of IT. be able to respond to customer inquiries regarding the products and services offered by their organization. They usually do their work over the phone or the Internet. In addition to informing customers about products and services and providing information about These representatives do not solicit customer information. The Adviser of Products About Us Our services of organizing and using them.

-To have the qualities of leadership personality, flexibility, good planning and teamwork.
Transparency
-Science and knowledge of the position
-The Secretariat
-Equality
-Motivation
Must have four types of skills:-Mental skills such as problems and analysis and interpretation of things and holistic thinking and sound planning-Behavioral skills such as ability to deal with others and motivate them to work and effective communication. willingness to participate, the necessary information,trusting others, willingness to relinquish some powers, and knowing how, how and when intervene.
_Training and guidance when needed.
-Help solve some of the obstacles of the task.
-Solve problems between team members.
Smiling can do miracles and remove anger from the face of a revolting visitor. Meeting a lot of visitors is a daunting task, so the receptionist should try to keep him calm, and have friendly interface all time. A smile can send a message to guests that they are welcome and that you are happy to be of help of them. Do not think that smiling is not important on the phone, because your voice reflects it to the other party and hear it in your voice.
Collaborates effectively
The bad host is dealing as if his team is facing war with other departments, and does not want to cooperate with them, while the successful host looks at the greater goal is success of the company as a whole.
Able to make decisions
The host must be able to make decisive decisions quickly , after thinking and studying, even if some of these decisions will not satisfy everyone. A good host has a clear strategy for action. Must have the necessary technical skills to assist the team. A successful host knows exactly what tasks his team needs to accomplish daily, how to do it, and is able to use the technology or means required to get the job done.

As a hiring Manager in my current role one of the first things that I look for when choosing whom to interview is based on their resume. Not the content of the resume (previous jobs, experiences, etc), none the less it is based on how their resume is put together. Did the candidate take the time to complete a resume, organized, well written and thought out. Was the resume a copy and paste from something they found on the internet or was it something they created and spent time on. As a hiring Manager if I find an applicant that has spent the time to impress a company with their resume, despite what previous work background, etc I will call for an interview. If an applicant takes the time to work hard on a resume than I am a firm believer that they will work hard as a team member with us.

When I call to speak with the potential candidates I usually phone screen before setting an interview. Over the phone I listen for someone who is “smiling”, who sounds professional answering questions, etc. In my current role as a General Manager of a Gym location half of our customer service interactions are completed over the phone. If the candidate doesn’t have the phone skills when speaking about the role and speaking about why they want to work for us confidently then how can they speak to our product, etc.

A team member who is looking to come aboard is someone who is see as a dedicated team member. Is this their primary job, are they looking for a second job. I find that someone who is looking for a second job, one of the two jobs will suffer as both can’t have 100% attention from the team member.

Studies have shown that there are two major reasons why customers leave a brand: competition and dissatisfaction. Also, studies have shown that 70% of customers who leave a company do so due to bad Service from employees. Therefore, it is Paramount to understand that customers are key stakeholders in any organization and measures should be put in place to ensure their satisfaction. The following are skillset a customer service personnel should have
1- Communication skill: A customer service worker should posses sensitive listening and speaking skill to assess, analyse and respond to customers needs. A customer service worker should also posses excellent written and spoken skill, with the ability to handle media channels such as the telephone, email and live chat.
2- problem solving ability: The customer service worker should be able to analyse problems, research, answers, help customers and implement solutions.
3- patience: The customer service worker needs to be patience, understanding, sympathetic, polite, create positive relationships to help solve problems as customers are all from different backgrounds.
4- The job comes with multitasking and working under pressure. Customer Service workers should be fast and efficient in delivery