- In France, we have a transit pass to travel in Paris and its surbub. When I moved to London, I asked to stop this subscription as I didn’t need it anymore. It’s been 4 months and it’s still not done. I called the company and the woman on the phone told me I did something wrong except that I didn’t. Today the issue is still not resolved. I have to send a letter.
- I worked at Versailles for 3 months and I had to deal with one angry customer. Because I worked in a library, the customers were readers. There was quite a important issue at the palace, therefore, the curators, who were the main readers, were quite mad. One of them came to me and asked me for some books that were in the stock. When I came back, she realized a book wasn’t the right one and she started to get angry. I remained objective and calmed and apologized. Then I asked her more information about the book like the title and author. I managed to find the book she was looking for quite quickly and she was happy about that but stayed unpleasant. I remained focuses and patient. I didn’t show any emotion even though I was quite stressed. I didn’t get angry myself and didn’t interrupt her when she got mad.
- In my family, we are all different. We each love different things and work in different environments, but we still interact well and help each other when needed. My sister and I live in foreign countries.
My friends are coming from everywhere. I have some friends living in the US, some friends from different countries in Africa and Asia. They also have different religions. To interact with these people, I first try to know them and respect them. For example, I am not a religious person but it’s not a problem for me if my friends tell me about religion. Knowing people from different backgrounds helps me learning new things about them and about the world we live in.
Examples of problems might be getting home with a new product and finding it doesn’t work as advertised, or perhaps a carpet cleaning service not arriving at your home at the specified time. Resolving such problems might be easily done by contacting a customer service worker, who could give instruction in how to use the product or offering a replacement for the faulty one. Also a customer service worker might check the gps of the carpet cleaners to find out where they are, checking to make sure they have the correct directions to your home, and possibly offering a small discount on service, when they do arrive.
Once, my ex-husband and I got into a disagreement. Soon, it had turned into a physical fight. I kept saying I was sorry, but it didn’t stop the anger he felt. Using some of the methods discussed in this unit, I now know I should have tried harder to de-escalate the situation before it came to blows. Perhaps I should have let him have his say before interrupting.
The kinds of diversity I have found in my life are sexes, ethnic groups, and age differences. The best way to interact with people of these diversities are to try to see things from their point of view and go from there.
- What are some examples of problems you or someone you know may have had with a company based on a faulty product or service? How did it get resolved?
I have done a lot of online shopping as I am sure a lot of people do. So I decided to try WISH and I ordered some jewelry. When I got the earrings they came broken. When I contacted customer service they were happy to help. They sent me a brand new pair to replace the ones that came broken, free of charge and shipping.
- Consider a situation where you had to deal with an angry person. How did you handle it? What might you have done differently using some of the methods described in this unit?
One day I had an angry customer come into the bank and start yelling at me and a co-worker because of a mistake that she made. we tried talking to her calmly and explain what had happened and how things could be fixed. She left and continued to call us to yell at us over the phone. We had to transfer her to our manager so that our manager could talk to her and explain what we already had explained. I don’t think we could have done anything different. The outcome would have been the same any way we handled the situation.
- What sorts of diversity do you find in your immediate environment of family, friends, work, school, groups, and so on? How do you best interact with the differences in cultural backgrounds and behaviors?
Back when I was working I would get customers that spoke English and Spanish. Being that I am Hispanic they assumed I spoke Spanish. I can understand it to a degree but I can not speak it. I would listen to what they would say and if i didn’t understand them they would tell me in English. Unless they couldn’t speak English then I would call my manager or ask my co-worker and they would convey what they were saying.
In 2016 I used to work in the Hotel business. So there were usually comments and complaints on a daily basis. Myself and ex co-workers did our best to answer or resolve issues that customers had. For example, the room not having enough towels or extra toiletries. We always did our best to cater to the customers needs, and continued to have customers return to our hotel again.
Dealing with an angry person or customer is always a difficult and frustrating situation to deal with. I remember having dealt with a customer yelling at me for not setting the right dollar amount of gas to be pumped. The customer went over the amount and so I had to run out to the customer and have them step inside the store and talk with my supervisor. I did apologize for the mix up and with my supervisor’s help the situation was resolved. The number one thing I learned was to never argue or yell back at the customer because it only escalates the situation or matter.
In my immediate environment of family, friends, work, and school there is a huge diversity. I always take into consideration of everyone’s background. Everyone has a different upbringing or were raised in a culturally based environment. I can easily adapt to each person’s own and unique personality.
- A parent paid the tuition fees of his son but this money was never registered by the bursar. This child was sent home on account that he owed tuition fees and did not write the exams. Unfortunately both parents had travelled and returned some few days after the exams was over. The parents came ranting with a receipt which proved that the said child had paid his tuition fees but we could not see his name in the computer. However we were obliged to organize a separate exams for the child while investigations went on to know the origin of the problem. We ended up discovering that the bursar made and error and forgot to enter the amount in the computer. We called the parent and apologized for the inconvenience and promised to pay 50% of the child’s tuition in the next school term.
- A parent came to my office ranting and shouting that the name of his son was poorly spelled in his end of school certficate. As this man was shouting, the bursar and my self were also begging him to calm down, this instead made things worse he threatened to fight every one.He dropped the certificate and went away asking that the name be adjusted before 24 hours. The next day i met the delegate about the issue and he told me that the situation could be resolved only in 4 months time. The parent came to my office the next day, i explained to him everything the delegate of education had said, he didn’t want to understand he instead putt the blame on me. He went way very angry.
I think from the lesson i have learnt in this course i would have allowed the man to rant for some time before i could intervene to apologise more so i would have taken him to the delegate who could explain everything to him.