CUST105: Unit 2 Discussion

1. What are some examples of problems you or someone you know may have had with a company based on a faulty product or service? How did it get resolved?
    A customer complained not to have been handled well by a certain employee and they felt unappreciated by how the employee handled them. The matter was solved by the customer care representative apologizing profusely on behalf of the institution and went on to offer a discount for the inconvenience caused. The employee involved was summoned and was made to understand that both her verbal and non verbal communication were out of line and not in line with the company policy and was recommended for further training on customer care.
  2. Consider a situation where you had to deal with an angry person. How did you handle it? What might you have done differently using some of the methods described in this unit?
    The best way to handle an angry person is first to mind your voice tone, always keep calm no matter who is on the wrong and maintain a warm both verbal an non verbal communication and avoid being confrontational.
  3. What sorts of diversity do you find in your immediate environment of family, friends, work, school, groups, and so on? How do you best interact with the differences in cultural backgrounds and behaviors?
    Understanding and appreciating the diversity in both cultural background and behavioral approaches is very vital. Being open minded at all times and more accommodating goes a long way in maintaining a cordial relationship

1)This happened to my fiancee she order a baby wash,they sent the wrong baby wash.most companies in Nigeria don’t have policies of refund or discount on future purchase, so we ended up losing our money because we didn’t get the right baby wash.
(2)It was a hectic traffic day in lagos,i spent hours 5hours to get to a short destination,everybody in the bud were frustrated and angry.A passenger spoke to me i misinterpreted what he said,i responded negatively,it lead to brawl,he insulted me verbally but i realized i was at fault so i apologize,our brawl ended so fast just by a simple apology.
(3)I live in an environment surrounded by hausa people,me and my family keep to ourselves because of the differences in cultural and religious background

1. What are some examples of problems you or someone you know may have had with a company based on a faulty product or service? How did it get resolved?

The last one was with Uber, the driver didn’t finish the trip, I was trying to find a way to let him know but the only way was by cancelling that ride. They cancelled it, then charged me again so the only thing I wanted was to be charged the correct amount! So I wrote them to let them know what happened, a CSW wrote me back to let me know that she refunded me for that trip and I was not going to be charged, but she did not mention if the driver was going to loose money, I didn’t want him to loose the right amount, so now I am avoiding using Uber, because I feel bad for its driver’s and the confusion the app may be causing to many of them.

1. Consider a situation where you had to deal with an angry person. How did you handle it? What might you have done differently using some of the methods described in this unit?

The first time I had to deal with an angry customer due to a refund, it was almost $10K and he was really angry, the refund process is done thru a 3rd party so I wasn’t sure how many days it was going to take so I said that it had to be done in 3 business days, he didn’t believe me. So I decided to use some help from the friend that referred him, she talked with him and he called back to apologize with me. He is still our customer.

Five years from that issue, sometimes customers get mad about the waiting time, but we have implemented other solutions and we tell them upfront that it takes 10 business days for their banks to show it on their accounts. Whenever you know exactly how something works you become super confident on what you are saying, but when you are unsure about it, the customer notice it in your voice. The cultural approach in this unit is very true, you need to understand that each culture has different approaches, even in the same culture you need to be careful what kind of person you are talking to, students react different than professors, etc.
You have to adapt the way you talk with each audience.

1. What sorts of diversity do you find in your immediate environment of family, friends, work, school, groups, and so on? How do you best interact with the differences in cultural backgrounds and behaviors?

I am constantly changing abroad, most of the countries have differences on the way you are suppose to address an issue. But overall if you have a true passion to help people, they will notice it and that is a huge leverage. Whenever you solve any issue for a given customer, that customer will have a stronger relationship with your company.

1. Sometime ago, I ordered for a product. It was so attractive online but when it was brought to me, it was something else. So, immediately I put a call across to the customer Service Officer. And I made a refund. Sincere apologies were made and the processes of refund that I thought will take a forever process was carried out with ease and hast.

2. In a situation where I will have to deal with an angry person, the process I will use in handling the situation as to what I have learnt in this unit are as follows.

• First is tender an apology as to the situation on ground
  • Give a listening ear,
  • Try to return a customer to a reasonable state,
  • Give him a room to give all his/her explanations
  • Give an assurance of resolving the issue as soon as possible
  • Show empathy
  • Remain objective and calm
  • Make them know you re in it with them with a reassuring smile even if its not a face to face conversations.
  1. Some individual prioritises but that not withstanding because everyone has a sense of belonging and priorities.
    The best way to deal with these is to show gesture and humor. You might also need to adjust from a verbal to a non verbal form of communication for the benefit and cultural comfort of the customer. Also, be comfortable in interacting with people from a wide range of culture.

1.Two months ago, my sister bought a dress from a retail store, when she got home she realized the hem was loosed and it had a little tear. She went back an hour later to return it,she was told they don’t take back once their products leave the store.That was the last time we went there.
2. Haven’t been in that situation, but if I do get in that kind of situation, I’d use these methods to handle the customer
3.I encounter a lot of people with different cultural backgrounds. Being in a country with more than a thousand tribes and ethnic groups, you meet different people each day, with different religion.you learn to interact , become friends, learn their culture and sometimes their way of life is not so different. I learn each day.

1.ask what was wrong with the product, verify it was used - activated correctly- help the customer with it
2.I stayed calm,talked and listened to th e customer and showed empathy
3. I don’t ever assume the customer and I share the same background.I ask question and observe body language to see if they are confort

1. The first time I experienced this type of difficulties was when I worked as a supervisor at caviar department. The customer bought an expensive caviar, but after he got home it was not testing good. I took this problem under my control. I tried to listen and put myself in his shoes. And it made a big difference.It took me less than a few minutes to establish this issue as a manufacturing problem. I apologized and explained the situation, then I issued a refund and offered an additional benefit. A customer decided to buy new one (and ended up with a couple of more expansive ones), and asked me to assist him personally.

2. I can say that the right way of resolving angry customer’s issues is listen carefully, always try tout yourself in the customer’s shoe. It makes a big difference if you apologize and try to explain everything in simple way. Find the median between what you need and what they need. It’s important to find a median between what you need and what they need.

3. I was raised in a highly diverse community and always had a lot of friends with the differences in cultural backgrounds and behaviors, so I am able to adjust myself to accommodate the behavior of them.