CUST105: Unit 2 Short Writing Exercise: The Customer Service Workplace

Prepare a 300-500 word document as if you were the manager of a customer service department orienting newly hired employees on aspects of dealing with challenging problems and difficult customers. Based on this unit’s readings, what are some possible situations and tactics you would want the new employees to be prepared for as they start their job?

I would first welcome the potential hire. I would emphasize, that while all the duties would be fairly cut and dry, that some days, they will have to deal with angered customers. Most will be dealt with over the phone ,however many answers will have to accessed by book, or over the internet or approved by the supervisor. Always use the Supervisor as the last resort.

Most customers may be too angry to look up solutions and that is where the new hire will come in. Never tell the customer to calm down and Never tell the customer that is just not your problem. Because the company hired you , that makes it your problem.

When a customer wants to verify, the shipment of an item, and it has not arrived , for the special event that they wanted it delivered. The customer will get highly mad. You will have to be able to multitask between assuring the customer that you can find out the information they need in finding the item and trying to actually and accurately find out what went wrong.

Some days it is just answering the phone, but other days it will be dealing with customers who come directly to the company and demand to speak to a Supervisor directly because they don’t think you are competent enough to get the job done. You must use the Supervisor as the last resort. You will have to exhaust all other resources before the Supervisor because, if the Supervisor is called ,then not only will the customer think you incompetent so will the Supervisor. You are the representative of the Company.

Now will dealing with Foreign and Multicultures , try your best to interact with them and try to find a resolution to their problems. Many of them do not speak perfect English. Try to use simple English and not a lot of fancy words. Simple is best. Also if you absolutely can not understand the language they speak try to find someone who does understand them.

I would advise my new hires to remember to stay calm. I would advise them to take each situation as it happens and work patiently to help the customer find the answers they are looking for. I would remind them to stay calm and to speak slowly. Often when people are stressed or anxious they will speak faster and not as clear. This might anger a customer more. I will advise them to listen to the customers wants. Find out what the customer is looking for so that they can find the answers. Use the can do attitude - focus on what you can do not what you cant do. If you do feel there is something that you cant do - someone else can - find that someone else. You are not powerless - there is a lot you can do. Put yourself in the customers shoes - imagine how you would feel. Find a solution together that will make both happy.

I will first orient the new comer about the vision, mission, values and other policies of the company/organization. While orienting him/her about dealing with customers, I will tell them a bout various situations that may happen. For example, the customer might have been given wrong information. Or the customer may have been given the product which he/she was not looking for. Or his/her queries may not have been responded to in a clear way.
I will tell the new comer to be very patient while dealing with angry customers. They are not supposed to argue with the customer even if he/she is wrong. The CSW needs to be polite always. He/she needs to resolve the situation in such a way that the customer will be willing to come to the company in future.

Colleagues, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to congratulate you on your appointment as Customer Service Workers. As you are all aware our core duty is ensure that our customer problems/issues are addressed amicable and on time. You will be dealing with many different people across the divide. In some other situations the customers might be angry or upset because of a defective item, working under pressure, deadlines and or even personal issues. As in ICT Support, your are going to encounter some of the following issues;-

1. Computer/Laptop and or other devices not powering on (booting problems).
  2. Networking problems
  3. Internet login issues
  4. General user support.

The above list is not conclusive, as a Customer Support Worker, you might get many issues some of which might even be more out of line.

I would advise you to have and up hold the following tactics;-

1. Find out what the customer want.
  2. Treat them how they want to be treated.
  3. Listen to them
  4. Empathize we with them
  5. Partner with them
  6. Take control of the situation

While at it, is is also extremely important NOT TO;-

1. Get angry.
  2. Tell them to “calm down”
  3. Defend yourself
  4. Interrupt them, give them sometime to vent

As a manager, i can tell them that a customer might be angry as a result of defective product or service. The customer may have been misinformed or his or her expectations from the company may not have been met.
The CSW should listen to the customer’s explanation of the issue clearly, take ownership of the problem and turn the problem solution into a partnership. If the event event or issue might warrant a lrgal action that can cost much to the company, the CSW should report the issue quickly and directly to me for immediate actions.
The CSW should also learn to apologise even if he or she is not at fault to ease the already tensed atmosphere. Never should a CSW tell a cusgomer to calm down as this would sound advisorial, instead he might allow the customer to vent his anger and frustration for a little while before trying to provide an assistance.
Although you may have your own cultural background the CSWShould learn to be versatile and if possible learn about other people and their cultures. He or she sgoul be observant and treat a customer how he or she expects or preferred to be treated.

As a manager orienting new employees, I will make them understand that they are the face of the company and therefore however they handle / treat customers will determine whether the company will grow or not. It is also necessary to make them aware that they will not always meet happy and satisfied customers, there will be angry or rude ones they need to deal with and ensure each of them are satisfied. Hence the need to have a proper mind-set and attitude.

Some tactics I would share with them will be as follows

1. To always find out what customers want, and treat them how they want to be treated. Their utmost desire when dealing with each customer is to satisfy the customer. Customer needs and expectations varies, so employees should not assume the same approach will suit all but to identify how each customer wants to be treated an deliver accordingly.
  2. Remain objective and calm. Customers will come with different opinions and others might attack you but there is a need for employees to avoid taking such encounters personally in order to stay focused and achieve result
  3. Provide clear options and steps to a resolution and also involve the customer in the solution process
  4. To successfully achieve the above and more, employees should carefully listen to the customer, Empathize with them; thus make them know you’re concerned and willing to help them. Finally take charge. Do not just listen and empathize leaving the issue unresolved, take action and ensure the problem is solved and the customer satisfied.

Based on this unit’s reading, these are the key traits and skills I would want to see in applicants:
Customer-service skillsets.
A CSW needs to handle questions and problems with afriendly and professional demeanor. As a matter of fact, customers may come from many different backgrounds, be frustrated and confused, be angry and difficult—so the CSW needs to be patient, understanding, sympathetic, polite, and create a positive relationship to help resolve the problem at hand, and represent the company well to help ensure good ongoing business standing.

Communication skillsets
A pleasant voice and clear enunciation are important elements of good communication skills, as is the ability to organize thoughts and explain complex concepts in simple terms. The customer service worker must relay the company’s message to callers. This is often done using printed scripts or computer programs that present interactive scripts of questions and answers that are used to discover the true reason for the customer’s call, and lead the customer to a solution, while cross-selling and up-selling. Good reading skills are vital to effectively delivering scripted conversations. Other important skills are an understanding of basic math, familiarity with computers and the ability to type.
Listening skillsets
A good customer service worker must have good listening skills. Customers sometimes include emotional baggage in their explanations of a product malfunction, and the customer service worker must be able to listen carefully for the important points of the problem. A good listener also allows an upset customer to vent enough to calm down, but still manages to identify why the customer called and key elements of the problem or question. Many customer service reps also act as sales reps, cross-selling additional merchandise and subtly leading the customer to upgrade a purchase to the higher priced model. Listening skills also play an important role in identifying customers who can be encouraged to buy more or who actually need the features of the higher priced model to be perfectly satisfied.
Patience
A customer service worker deals with all kinds of customer questions, suggestions and complaints. They will deal with different kinds of people such youngster, elderly and confused, angry, happy, irritating or just plain lonely and looking for someone to share a conversation. A good customer service worker remains patient and polite through everything. Even a customer’s snide personal insults should be viewed as part of the job, and dealt with professionally. Along with patience, the customer service rep should be self-confident enough to not take rude comments personally, and charming enough to calm irate customers.
Technological skillsets
My applicants must be computer savvy people, because in modern era technology is so needy that we can’t not use it. In fact, to be to manage a computer is to be able to manage technology itself. Further, it is the most current way used by people, customers use it a lot to keep in touch with businesses.

Dear newcomers!

Let me welcome you within our company and give you some insights into dealing with our valued customers.

It will happen sometimes, that you will face some difficult problems and extraordinary customers. You should be prepared in advance to resolve those situations in a best possible way and with a compliance of our company’s policy.

The challenging problems you would most probably have to solve are as follows:

• Delay of the good’s delivery
  • Return of a defected good
  • Mismatch in a delivery and some other similar problems.

The phone call or a visit from an agitated customer will probably follow and you should be aware of how to deal with such customers.

I would like to offer some useful tactics, when you will face such situations:

• It is necessary to respond with care.Listen to your customer, define the problem, show the empathy and suggest to find a resolution together. Positive attitude is very important.
  • If a situation requires a referral to you supervisor - don’t hesitate to ask for help.
  • Don’t forget - a simple apology always matters!
  • Consider a possible remedies - such as a discount or refund. That as well may require assistance from your supervisor.
  • Discuss possible solutions to the problem and available options with your customer. Choose together.
  • Check the customer level of satisfaction, try to exceed the customer’s expectations.

Remember, when dealing with difficult customers, you should stay calm and detached. Do not take it personal.Remain focused, unemotional and patient. Use short sentences, while talking and listen to your customer.Try not to interrupt and turn the interaction to an intention of fixing the issue, involving our customer to the process.

Good luck, dear employees!

The Customer Service Workplace

There are some basic factors in a customer service position. Listed below are a few of the situations a CSW will handle.

Some customer service issues are routine such as return of a defective product.
Other problems may pose special issues that need to be handled with extra care.
Companies may lose 15% of their customers every year due to poorly resolved problems.
Unsatisfied customers who complain to friends and online may cost a company even more business.
A sincere apology can help alleviate a customer’s agitation.
The resolution to a customer’s problem should equal or exceed the customer’s Loss.

Starting on the basis that customer service is to assist customers with their problems. Listening to the customer’s explanation, understand what was spoken and then taking ownership of the problem. This requires communication and a positive attitude which demonstrates your willingness to fix the problem

It’s also suggested to first offer an apology to the customer for the inconvenience that the problem has caused. Never argue, defend or make excuses or blame the customer for the problem.

After identifying the problem, offering alternative solutions is to follow. Including the customer in the process empowers them and gives them a sense of control over the situation. Most of the time it is the sense of powerlessness that is the cause of an angry customer.

It’s important that the customer feels satisfied with the end results. Also when dealing with an angry customer, never become angry or agitated yourself. This is not only not good for you, but also is not good for your health. Although you can’t control the attitude of the customer, you can control your response. You can diffuse the situation, by once again, listening to the customer’s complaints and trying to resolve the problem.

Speak slowly, use short sentences be tactful and follow the model of customer service which is listen, empathize and take charge.

if i were the manager of a customer service department i want the new hired employees to have a very good communication skills and be patient wit customers as possible and put them selves in the customer place and look at the situation as they see it . i would advice them to stay calm and speak and a calm tone with angry customers , never tell them to calm down as this will make the situation worse , i would recommend hem to listen to the customer carefully and figure what is the problem and offer the customer solutions and help him to chose one of the alternative solutions . and i will mention that its ok if you let you customer vent their anger and you can do that by asking the customer to tell what happend and then start finding solutions to him . i will assure to the new employees that they are not here to judge people based on their backgrounds or different cultures , they are here to give the customer helpful and respectful service and to do that they may have to modify their attitude , communication and find a way to accommodate with each customer .

When dealing with customers, it is necessary to make the hired personnel in my company that complains will come in different nature and he needs to understand that different customers are different in the way they handle matters. Some of the issues he or she might consider trivial might be what the customer takes seriously. One thing the hired personnel should always have at the back of his or her mind is that, “the customer is always right.” The hired personnel needs to first understand that there could be complaint that might be too difficult to handle solely and he or she might either need to forwarf the matter to a supervisor or a team in the company that have more expertise and experience in the field the customer wishes to be cleared. Meanwhile it is very vital to the hired personnel to always put into cognisance that An attitude of calm detachment can help him or her deal with difficult customers In the course of duty. Every customer wants to be shown a little empathy and offered an apology to defuse an upset . this has proven over time to be the best tools in dealing with a customer’s problem. It is also very advisable that when dealing with angry customers, employ active listening skills, and assure them you’re on their side. This helps in building some level of trust between customers and the company. When a customer is agitated, not only does he or she attacks the company, they also attack the hired personnel. It is important that the personnel doesn’t get caught up in a customer’s personal attacks. The personell should also learn to Turn the interaction to a focus on fixing an issue, empowering the customer to help seek suitable solutions. Then he or she should try to exceed the customer’s expection. When a customer is venting his or her anger, a personnel shouldn’t tell the customer to calm down as this might aggravate the fury.

You arw going to deal with various issue and communicate with different people as a customer service worker. There can be complicated sotuations when customers are not satisfied with our products and services, or when they are given inaccurate piece of information, or they simply misinterpret this information. It’s impossible to have no mistake in any business, and if is impossible to deal just with happy clients all the time as well. Some people tend to be rude even without visible reason. Therefore you have to be ready to meet agitated angry and frustrated people.
We chose as our company’s member and we expect professionalism from you. There are some tips for you how to deal with agitated disruptive people:

1. Don’t take their attitude personally, be patient and tactful. Even though it’s very easy to overreact when you meet offenses and anger, there is nothing good in escalating conflict. Your role is to calm down angry person and try to resolve any problem effectively. Remember that nothing fixes with argument and mutual offenses. Never blame customer or make excuses. The best policy is try to understand the customer and express your empathy to him. Hence, apologize and say that you will do everything possible to fix his problem. And don’t forget to be friendly and express care.
  2. Ask person to tell about his problem in more detail and offer possible ways to fix whatever is wrong. Listen to customer attentively in order to understand everything and don’t rush to say you can’t do it. Try to contact your superior or anotger department for more information or piece of advice, if you need it. Look as you are master of the situation, be clear and express confidence in ability to fix wrong situation. Make your customer your partner and give him opportunity to choose the most appropriate way of resolving his problem, when you have several different options.
  3. Exceed you client’s expectations and offer an extra help. When you have time you can make a call or send an email to customer and ask if everything is okay with his situation. Don’t forget to offer your help if anything is wrong.

Situations and possible tactics that I would like to see prepare new employees at the beginning of their work to deal with difficult problems and difficult customers.
They must first remain objective and calm. Take responsibility and stay focused on getting results, Do not argue with the client, do not try to apologize, and certainly do not try to blame the client. In the end, you should try to counter
the depth of disappointment and inconvenience of a customer with a sufficient level of remediation, equal to the loss of the customer.
A calm detachment attitude can help you deal with difficult clients.
A bit of empathy and excuses are often the best tools for defusing an upset client.
When dealing with angry clients, use active listening skills and make sure you are on their side.
Do not get caught in a client’s personal attacks.
Put interaction at the center of solving a problem, helping the customer find suitable solutions.
Exceed the customer’s expectations

I will welcome them with an open mind and give them the tips of what they should be expecting in their daily activities and also tactics they should defuse in a difficult customer.

1, To be focused
2, understanding
3, unemotional
4, caring
5, Alert
6, And most importantly, patient .

My dear Employees,

Welcome to my company. You are the visit cards of my business, you are the angels for customer when they are in need. You have to be polite, quiet and well informed. You have to be psychological above the situation. Be conifdent and empathize when ever it is possible. Sometimes a nice word and a little smile will save the problem.
Customer Service is a great place where you can test your patience and interact with different kind of people and their problems.You have to know all about the product and service we sell, so you can recognize the problem as it appears. You have to have a nice voice and understandable way of expressing the solutions.
Have in mind a customer wants to complete a transaction as quickly as possible, minimizing the amount of time and energy it takes to share a need or resolve a problem. You might look at the cusomter more as your partner in the transaction. So, you need to have perfect communicationskills, as well as needed technical skills. If one of you is unable to resolve a problem, you can turn to a team member or supervizor for assistance.

Don t forget a typical job description for a Customer Support Worker might include:

• Listen and respond to customer s need and concerns
  • Provide information about products and services
  • Take orders, determine changes, and oversee billing and payments
  • Review or make changes to customer account
  • Handle returns or complaints
  • Record details of customer contact and action taken
    -Research answers or solutions as needed
  • Refer customers to supervisors, managers, or others who can help
    You have to focus on the problems of the customer like he or she is the only person in the universe.
    Focus on your Unique Selling Proposition. Show them what makes you the perfect one for this kind of job.
    It is very important to be well informed about the business flow so you will be mentaly prepared for the complaints of the customers.
    Keep it simple! The best way to find out what a customer want is simply to ask them. Provide a helpful and polite service. Do not be to excessive in giving your attention…keep it normal.
    You should be comfortable interacting with people from a wide range of demographic and cultural backround. An effective approach is to find out how customers want to be treated, and treat them accordingly.

Good luck my dear employees :slight_smile:

Don’t take it personally
Never argue! Remember: it’s not about you. Maybe the person in front of you is having a bad day and you just happened to get in their way. Keep a smile on your face and stay positive. Concentrate on the problem at hand and don’t get defensive. Let the customer speak. Avoid placing blame.

Listen to what the customer is really saying
It is important to be an active listener. Listen to what the customer is saying and, more importantly, what the customer is not saying. Repeat the customer’s complaint so he or she knows you’re listening: “So what you’re saying is, that card should work fine because you used it earlier today?”

Show empathy
Let the customer vent. The customer is more likely to be responsive if you let him or her vent. Imagine yourself in the customer’s shoes and try to be understanding. Be sure to use words like “I understand” and “I can do that,” but avoid saying “sorry” too often – the more you say it the more it loses its meaning.

Identify the issue. Create a solution. Follow up.
Good customer service is a three-step process. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the issue so you can solve the problem. Don’t be afraid to ask the customer to identify the issue. Once the issue is understood, ask the customer what would make it better and work together towards a solution. Try to follow up with unhappy customers with a phone call, letter or email. It makes customers feel like they, and their business, are important.

Get your manager’s help
Sometimes, no matter what you say or do, a customer just won’t calm down. In that case, don’t hesitate to get your manager involved. They’re trained to deal with difficult customers - that’s why they get paid more!

good p

Being a manager at at an organization that have direct face to face, telephone contact. Emails or any other communication method to deal with customer is needs more responsibility; strategies; accountability; and always accomplish customer service and recognise the customer as not only a source of income for the organization but indeed those customers can be companies asset if they treated as they are part of our company.
So one of responsibility of manager in this case is to hire a person with an ability to fulfill our customers needs and wants.

Some of the advice that as a manager can provide to the newly recruted person as follow;
-Give him an overview of the overall background of the organization and specifically our customers general requirement and what does required from him to support the customers.

• training on what are the does and doesn’t of the Companey . That may mostly related to the legal obligations and added value. Quality and specific organisational services that customers are willing to come to our companey that make companey unique of competitors.

As a manager of a customer service department orientating newly hired employees about policies, mission statement, values and visions. I would welcome them to the company and then I would proceed to let them know the aspects of the job and what it entitles, the roles that a customer service employee would have to do when the encounter a problem or a difficult customer. Let them know a customer may be upset about the product or service they may have received. I would let them know to remain calm and reasonable, no matter how mad a customer may get. That they have to protect themselves with the proper mindset and attitude so you don’t respond with anger because they are. Stay focused, alert, understanding, caring, unemotional and patient. you have to treat them with respect and helpful service, being polite and showing respect can sometimes calm an angry person down, by simply saying “I’m sorry that you are upset” and “Let’s them know how we can fix it”. I would tell them the golden model of a customer service: listen, empathize, and take charge. Involve the customer in how to resolve the problem, provide clear steps, exceed customers expectations, and assure them you will advise the management of the problem to prevent similar situations. don’t ever tell a customer it’s not your problem as long as you work for the company it is also your problem, so you have to figure out a solution and you want loose the person as a customer. Making sure they follow the steps to successfully and helpful outcome for the customer. Just simply listening and empathetic to customers would go along way. Just making sure they are satisfied is the key.