Academy Home | Student Dashboard

CUST105: Unit 2 Short Writing Exercise: The Customer Service Workplace

If I was the manager of a customer service department and hired new employees I would train my employees well. My employees would have to go through many sessions of training. They will have to endure many different scenarios to make sure they know what to do in any kind of situation. If one of my employees has a problem with a difficult customer I would infer for them to come to me about it or another higher position person. As the job starts I understand that their will be problems and people who my employees will have to deal with. I will sit back and watch them and see what they need more help with. Some possible situations that I would want my new employees to learn how to deal with would have to be difficult people who come in with the motto “The customer is always right”, I understand that this is somewhat true but some people take this saying to far. Some tactics that my employee can use would be to approach the situation easy and with a positive attitude and to not take anything the customer has to say personal.

While you spend all day thinking and talking about your company, your customer doesn’t necessarily have the same insider knowledge or jargon. You know every use case, every feature, and every Easter egg, but your customers just want your product to work.
This means that you may have to ask some strategic questions and do a little translating to determine what problem they’re having, especially if you have a technical product.
Their version of the bug report might pinpoint a couple of possible problems, but it’s very likely that you won’t have enough information to resolve the issue in 3 minutes.
The best way to deal with vague support queries is to ask a clarifying question, like “Are you experiencing the bug on desktop or mobile?” Otherwise, you risk giving your customer the wrong answer and increasing their frustration without solving their problem.Just because someone dashes off an angry tweet doesn’t mean they’re a bad person, it’s a natural reaction. When people are frustrated they tend to lose their filters, increasing the likelihood that they might leave a less than friendly response.
But trying to explain the situation to a frustrated customer by getting defensive will just make them angrier. Ensure that they know you’re listening to their frustration with a positive, swift, and understanding response.
Whole Foods Market responds to this viral customer complaint by letting everyone know “We hear you” and promising to remedy the problem

I would welcome the newly hired employees and congratulate them on getting the job! I would then explain to them that this is a great job, but it also has its bad days. Just like any other job. I would inform them that they will sometimes come across difficult problems and difficult customers. I would let these employees know that no matter how bad a situation might get, they always need to keep calm and keep their composure. Nothing is worse than a disrespectful employee that doesn’t understand how to deal with a difficult situation. I would ask these employees to put themselves into the frustrated customer’s position to try and understand where they are coming from. Customers may call and start off having an attitude but it is the employee’s job to calm the customer down and help them solve the issues they are having. I would also tell the employees that not every customer will be satisfied at the end of the conversation, but it is the employees target to satisfy the customer every time. Customers may have many widespread issues with the product, being that it may be defective, they were given incorrect information about the product, they don’t like the product, or they may be calling because they’re not sure how to work the product. As a customer service worker, your job is to figure out these customers’ needs and guide them through how to fix the problems at hand. Do your best to stay positive and upbeat. No matter how rude or agitated the customer may get, they are always right. Customers are what keep a company running, and if a company has bad customer service, that company will not run smoothly or may even come to a halt. If an employee cannot answer a customer’s question, they may need the help of a supervisor or manager. Never be afraid to ask your superior questions.

If I were the manger of a customer service department and was orienting new employees, I would first start out by introducing myself and telling them that if they needed anything all they had to do was come to me. I would then get to know them and let them get to know each other. I would tell them how to handle certain situations and show them a series of slide shows and videos on customer service do’s and don’t’s, and how to handle certain situations and customers. If a customer is rude, then stay as calm as you can, and whatever you do don’t talk back. I would also tell them to be positive and don’t come to work mad or sad, leave the attitude and family troubles at home or see a therapist. I would tell them to try to become friends with the customer and to put yourself in their shoes. To make small talk with the customer, and if you see that the customer has had a bad day then try to cheer them up by making them laugh. If the customer has a bad attitude then still talk nice to them as if that attitude was not there at all. I would tell them to most importantly have fun on the job, get you work done, work hard, and be happy.

As a manager, I will make sure the newly hired employees of a customer service department really understand the responsibilities they are about to face. Customer service job, like any other jobs, has its own challenges and employees must be ready for it. Some of these challenges vary in some degree of difficulty. For instance, dealing with unsatisfied customers who have defective products or services or agitated customers who have been waiting for a long time for a CSW to answer her/him or worse, a calm-looking customer who’s obviously iritated to the service. These are all challenging but what makes it possibly much more challenging depends on how a customer service worker deal with the problem.

Make sure to deal with these problems with care. All customers want is for them to be given importance and proper attention by the company and CSWs are the instrument of the company to extend these services to the customers. Most of the challenging situations can be solved by using basic customer service tactics. These are by listening attentively to the concerns of the customers; apologizing sincerely; asking for customer’s cooperation by having clear communication and a positive attitude; and of course by showing the customer how eager you are in resolving the issue. But remember to still depend your actions base on the customer’s personality. Some customers don’t want so much enthusiasm, they just want thing to be done. So just give them what they want and to just remember the rule of thumb: don’t let things get to you personally.

With the right attitude in solving and facing challenges in customer service industry, anything can be manageable. For me, patience, understanding, the willingness to help and being kind are the perfect qualities to have to remain sane in any customer service job.

While preparing new employees for customer service I want to help them understand how to handle difficult situations. There will be many times in your career with customer service that you come across difficult customers. The way you handle the situation determines whether or not you successfully help the customer. When these problems arise you will need to stay calm and unemotional. Do not react to their anger as well as take it personally. Smile and actively listen to your customer’s complaint. Take responsibility as a representative of the company for the mistake at hand. Do your best to resolve this problem with your best ability if you cannot resolve the problem than call some who can promptly. Always make the customers feel like you are on their side. Stay empathetic to your customers throughout the whole proses. Some of these simple tactics go a long way to helping resolve these problems. Take notice in the complaints because some of the same complaints can point to a bigger problem with in the company that needs to be addressed. There will be certain situations that call for employees higher up to deal with. These circumstances should be brought to your supervisor’s attention as quickly as possible. Our goal is to make the customers happy as best we can, to listen to each problem with empathy, and to keep the customer returning.

As a manager I would welcome the newly hired to the customer Service department. I would tell them that I know that they may be nervous and excited, but I wanted to go over a few things with them. I would like for them to be aware that they will encounter customers who would be upset and angry, over products that didn’t work, or poor customer service. As a customer service worker, they must: Stay calm, be patience, always use eye contact, giving the customer your full attention, letting the customer know that you are listening to what they are saying, show them that you are attentive to their problem. Apologize even though you aren’t at fault and assure them they will get a solution to the problem.
If working at a call center Customer Service, should answer the phone with a smile, identify themselves along with the company they are working for. Be friendly, if you must put the customer on hold, explain to them that it may take a while, and you will do your best to solve the problem as quickly as possible. Let them know that you are working on the problem, Apology and inform them that this may take a while. If you must transfer a call explain to the next person what the problem is, so the customer wouldn’t have to repeat their complaint. Let the customer know that they will be transfer to someone that can help them. Ask if they have any question, tell them that you appreciate them being patience with you, then wait until the connection is made, make the introduction, then softly disconnect your call. And always be truthful to the customer.

Being a customer service manager you have many task when it comes to hiring new employees. You have to show and teach them the ins and outs of the job. Training employees how to deal with rude customers is a little tough but you can do it. I will need my employees to understand that rude customers will call or come into the store. I would let the know that customers get rude or angry for a variety of reasons. But since you’re in business to serve your customers, you’ll likely encounter rude or angry individuals at one time or another. How you respond can make the difference between a customer who feels satisfied with the problem and one who promise never to patronize your business again. Some key points that I will share with them are as follow:
Training on the phone
• Don’t Take It Personally. Although angry customers take their frustration out on you, they know that you did not cause their problem.
• Never Argue Back.
• Kill Them with Kindness.
• Be Patient.
• Know How to Apologize
• Solve the Problem
• Relieve Your Stress
Face-to-face
• Look the customer in the eye
• Find out what the customer want.
• Treat them how they want to be treated.
• Listen to them
• Empathize we with them
• Partner with them
• Take control of the situation

They should be prepare to meet a customer who had a bd day and maybe a little difficult but they shouldn’t get angry and they should allow them to finish talking then accept the mistake and assure that it will be fix.
Anything the customer complain on they shouldn’t be judgemental but be on the customer side and extend an appology to them and help to fix the problem.

As a manager I will let my new hires get ready for difficult rude customers by doing plays so they would handle the customer the right respectful way. I don’t want my employees being rude to any of my customers even if the customer is wrong. being professional is the key. As an employee you always satisfy your customer. Listening is always a good thing to them. Customers love venting to see if you listening or not. Smiling will also help even when a customer comes at you with an attitude do not catch one back keep your smile on your face. be very patient with your customers no one wants to be rushed.
Never interrupt a customer when they’re talking let them finish and then ask or respond.

If I were the manager I would first of all I congratulate the new employees. I would give them a tour of the building and make sure I answer any questions they may have. I will explain that being a customer service is not hard mainly treat people the way you would like to be treated. Always show respect to every customer, be friendly, and patient. Treat the customer the way they want to be treated. There are also some situations you may not be able to handle so it is okay to call a supervisor or a coworker to help with the situation.
When you are working in the customer service field you come across many customers some are simple and then you have customer who require some extra attention. Always make sure you take control and you should always stay calm. A lot of customer also may come in angry and you will have to learn how do deal with it. You should never tell a customer to calm down. It is also good to show them you are listening and never interrupt. Sometimes it is good to let an angry customer blow their steam and then it will be easier to solve the problem. Keep a smile on your face and apologize as many times as it may seem right.
As a customer service worker, you will also have to deal with people from different backgrounds this includes culture and religion. You will come across all kinds of people and you should not judge them based on anything. Make sure everything is always simple and to the point because some do not speak perfect English. Sometimes you may have to act different because not everyone believes in the same things. You cannot take anything personal because this is a job and the customer will always be right.

If I were a manager and worked in a department dealing with challenging customers and issues, the first thing that I would state to all hired customer service workers (CSW) is to not take any problems or frustrations personally, to be patient and kind and to allow the customer to see you are on their side.
Seeing the problems or frustrations as a non personal matter, this will assist the CSW to have more patience and understanding of the customers problems.
The issue may be a huge deal to the customer and could have, for example had a negative impact on their lives like not having the right item for an event and maybe causing the customer to arrive late to an event or even missing the event.
Not taking the problems or frustrations personal will then allow the CSW to empathize with the customer and work with the customer as a team to resolve the issue.
Being patient and kind and letting the customer know you all are a team, this will help the customer to feel validated and could make a pleasant experience for the customer and to show you are working with them to resolve the issue.
In summary, its important for all CSW to not take the problems personal this allows them to empathize better with the customer by seeing their point of view. Being kind and patient and allowing the customer to feel you are working with them as a team will allow them to work with you to resolve the issue much more quickly.
These are tips that would be helpful to all newly hired CSR’s.

First of all, I would like to welcome all new employees to this growing company. This company is happy to have all of you here with us today. As the days pass we shall get better acquainted with each other on a professional level to make this place of teamwork a better workplace. I would like to inform you on a couple of things like: How to remain professional when dealing with difficult customers, handling difficult customers, and working with customer diversity.
We know customers may become upset and difficult, but you be able handle them by protecting yourself with the proper mindset and attitude. You should always be in control of your reactions. No matter what always treat the customer with respect, even when it gets hard. Try to put yourself in the customer’s shoes. Make sure you listen clearly to the customer’s explanation of an issue to make sure you understand. It’s really important that we respond to every problem with care. Make sure you identify the problem and come up with the best solution to make sure the customer is satisfied.
All of our customer’s may not be the same race, age, genders, or speak the same language, but all will be treated with the upmost respect. It will be our duty to make some kind of connection with the customers to better serve them. Make sure you follow the Two Golden Rules of Customer Service: Find out what customers and treat them how they want to be treated. We should all have a strong desire to satisfy a customer and put aside our own opinions on how things should be done. Even though we may not understand or approve of someone’s diverse behaviors, we must show respect. Most of all we should relax, enjoy, and even learn from our encounters.

Good afternoon Team,

On behalf of our company staff, I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome you as a new member of the family. We are thrilled to have you with us.

We as a company pride ourselves on offering our customers with excellent service.
Our customers are the most important part of our business.
I would like to remind you that there are going be times where a customer will be extremely difficult to deal with and there are gonna be times where the customer problem will be more challenging than their reaction.

Here are some basic tactics you can apply to any costumer service situation.

1. Make sure to always have a positive attitude
    2.Listen to your customer’s explanation of an issue clearly,
    3.Take ownership of the problem
  2. Turn the problem’s solution into a partnership

Remember to always protect yourself with a proper mindset and attitude.
You can’t control the customer reaction,but you can control your respond.
A rude, angry, or belligerent customer might be calmed with a
simple, “I’m sorry this has upset you … let’s see how we can fix it.”
Don’t take a customer anger and insults personally instead remain objective and calm.

I look forward on working with you.
Thank you

As a manager introducing my new hires to the workplace, I would ensure that they are knowledgeable that they are in an industry where people will often react in surprising ways.

I would ensure that my employees knew how to deal with an angry or upset customer; they must first of all not take it personally. I would tell my employees that to deal with an upset client, they should figure out the problem in a helpful and nonconfrontational way. Once they know, my employee can go about trying to fix it or letting myself or another who can help know about it.

Difficult customers can test the limits of our patience and make our blood boil. An average workday can descend into a flurry of unpleasant emotions if we allow a difficult customer to affect us in a negative way. The very first step to dealing with a negative customer is protecting your mood and thought space by recognizing the distortions that are occurring and self-affirming what you know to be true.

If a disgruntled customer calls you lazy or uncaring, self-affirming the fact that you are a valuable employee who was hired for a reason and with confidence can help protect your own emotions from being pulled into the customer’s chaotic whirlwind.

Take the situation of an irate customer with polarizing opinions. They may berate the business and indicate that the business is fraudulent, unprofitable, or terrible. Remembering positive work experiences and the customer compliments you have received in the past can help to self-affirm what you know to be true, regardless of the difficult situation you are currently in with the customer.

When dealing with a difficult customer, start with the most basic tactics and expand from there. The core concepts of customer conflict resolution include active listening, taking ownership of the problem, and creating a partnership between employee and customer as they work together to achieve a quick resolution and customer satisfaction. Active listening can include eye contact, leaning in, affirmative words or phrases, repeating information back, and refraining from distraction or interruption. Taking ownership of the problem requires an empathetic step beyond simple sympathy and sharing in the discomfort and pain the customer is experiencing. Creating a partnership for resolution means becoming a champion of the customer’s cause; you are transitioning from a perceived element of the upsetting problem to the customer’s biggest advocate.

Once you have identified the customer’s specific problem through clear communication, the next step is to apologize, then apologize again… Apologies must be sincere in nature and the Customer Service Worker must try to refrain from minimizing the situation or making excuses.

When it comes to dealing with an upset customer, your ultimate goal is to balance out the weight of the customer’s bad experience with remediation that is equal to their loss. Following up after the communication to ensure satisfaction is a good tactic to employ.

The goal of working with the difficult customer is to return the customer to a reasonable level of satisfaction by the end of your interaction with them.