Academy Home | Student Dashboard

CUST105: Unit 2 Short Writing Exercise: The Customer Service Workplace

As a Manager of a Customer Service Department I would have to say some qualities that I look for in a Call Center Representative is their ability to de-escalate and stabilize their customer, ability to provide effective/supportive listening, empathize, and also their phone etiquette.

Focusing on nonverbal communication would be a great technique to use as the Chapter indicated, “It’s not so much in what we say, but in how we say it.” Having the appropriate phone etiquette (tone, pace) goes a long way with escalated callers and prevent the intervention of Management. As Management staff we look to staff as Leads who can de-escalate and stabilize their caller on their own without additional supports from the Management team.

Overall with knowing the description of the job along with the expectations in terms of Quality of Service, I believe you can develop these new hires to reach their full potential.

My new employers will deal with different types of customers of different cultures. The first thing they must have is to keep smile and listen to your customers even if they are rude to you. Stay calm and never shout or speak loud but speak slowly and clearly.Apologize and empathize with them. Take the problem as your own and try to find good solutions to it. Share these solutions with your customers and make them your partners.Follow -up them and make sure that they are satisfied with these solutions. Offer them better services for the future.

Situations and Tactics New Employees Should Be Prepared For.

Be prepared for pretty much anything when you are dealing with the public.  Whether it is face-to-face or over the telephone, you need to be able to handle any given situation at any given moment.   Be prepared for a customer who is very irate because the product or service he received either was not working properly or the outcome was not what the customer expected.  When a customer is angry before they even speak with a customer service rep, they will most likely take out their anger on that rep because they are the only one who is there for them to vent to.  Be prepared to handle this situation calmly and without taking it personally.  Almost any negative situation can be defused and turned around if given enough patience and thought.

Know how to handle the ‘impossible’ customer, as I like to call them.  It does not matter what you say or do, they will not be happy.  These customers are few and far between, but they are out there.  It seems their entire purpose is to make others as miserable as they seem to be.  These customers will vent and blame and be just plain mean and nothing you can do will change this.  For these customers, you need to keep calm and remember, it’s not personal.  Try to empathize the best you can and get this customer taken care of as quickly as possible.  Do not allow this to get to you.  It will happen a time or two.  Just breathe and think of this as a challenge to teach your patience and strength.

Realize that the world is full of a variety of people and as a customer service represented, it is their job to treat every customer, regardless of sex, nationality, religion, etc., the same. It is not a pick and choose business.  Whether you have personal issues with anyone or anything, when it comes to customer service, those issues must be left at home.  If you are not able to give the same type of customer support to everyone who contacts you, then you do not need to be in this business.  

There are many tools of the trade when it comes to adapting to any given situation in customer service, but I feel the most important tool is empathy.  We have all had to deal with customer service at some point in our adult lives and we all know what we expect from the experience. Remember, if you would not want to be treated a certain way, don’t expect a customer of yours to want that either.

Good morning and welcome to CLWConsulting.

My name is Carl Williams, and I am the manager of the customer service department.
Today I will be orientating you all on the aspects of dealing with challenging problems and difficult customers. We are going to go over some of the challenging issue of the work place first, and then touch base on dealing with difficult customers.

This does not happen much in most companies; however, I will start with the most difficult challenge there could possibly be in any given company and that is; what is proper etiquette when faced with an instruction that does not seem correct or is strictly prohibited by company policy?

The answer is. When you find yourself in a position to were a supervisor or a senior employee has instructed you to do something that is strictly prohibited or morally challenging. You should respectfully decline and maintain a professional attitude in doing so.
Communicate effectively and bring awareness to the possible harm following the improper instruction would cause.
The second challenging problem that is very relevant in the work place is change.
Some people like a work environment that’s predictable and routine.
However, here at CLWConsulting, we believe in innovation, so there will be constant change both internally and externally to make what we do fresh and new in all areas of service.
Now, on to the second part of orientation. Dealing with difficult customers.
Dealing with customers in general takes very special tactics and/or a level of diplomacy.
However, dealing with difficult costumers requires experience and strong communication skills. Because dealing with extraordinary customer service issues has a degree of difficulty that not everyone can handle without getting frustrated.
Some of the things that might come up is the customer did not get what was ordered in a timely manner, and when they called costumer service they got the run a round never getting a resolution,
Someone was rude to the customer and now they want someone to pay.

Just simply follow up with diplomacy.
Be respectful, professional, empathetic, and willing to help resolve the matter. And most of all listen carefully to what it is the customer is stating as the issue and take proper notes as to the final outcome of the issue addressed.
Take ownership of the problem and work with the customer as a partner to fix whatever it is that’s wrong and show commitment. if needed take the matter to someone he can effectively address and give detailed remedies to close the the matter with positive results.