CUST105: Unit 3 Discussion

1. I have to be careful about the volume at which I talk to my customer the choice of words, and the pace at which I talk. I think if i have to do something different then I need to listen carefully and intervene only after there is a pause on the side of the caller, this is because often people both the caller and the receiver want their points to go through and both parties end up understanding little or nothing from what the other person is saying.

2. The tactics I found useful are

3. Write brief

4. Check several times or called somebody else to check on your behalf before you send.

5. Be polite

6. Take special care of the way you introduce and end your letter

7. I will also ask the recipient to indicate if he /she would prefer to be contacted through telephone in the future.

8. I have worked in several projects both at home and at work, some did not go well or still, the initial objectives were not entirely met. I suggest that any project must be properly investigated to understand the project environment before moving to the planning phase. Projects need proper planning if not we end up spending to fail.

Telephone communication: Use the caller’s name as soon as you know it, be sincere to the customer, be polite to the customer as well, and adopt a positive tone.
Computer communication: be precise, polite, and brief, be considerate of time frames, use a considerate tone over email,
Team work effectiveness: Establish trust because no team can stand in the absence of trust among team members, understand yourself and your emotions, understand others too, define roles so that each person knows what they have to do.
Personal development: Find a mentor, read often, research, go for further training, have enough rest and relaxation, find a role model you can look up to, stay honest with your self.

1- When talking on the telephone, I adjust my voice tone and use para language like ah. I rephrase what has been said. I might have to adjust my speech rate.
2- When communicating over the computer, it is useful to write brief and concise message.I may get bored with long posts and blogs .
3- During exams, I put suitable period of time for each chapter or unit I have to study. I usually finish it in time less than I expected. I might have to give myself more rest time.
4- I worked on team projects in college. Some projects went well due to good management and good cooperation and sense of responsibility of each of us in the team. Some projects did not end well due to misunderstanding of tasks.

1. When talking on the phone I find if you listen more than you talk you can get your points across more effectively. Using the units reading I would pay more attention to the speed in witch I speak.

2. When communicating over the computer I find that if you spell out everything including numbers, the reception of the information is ascertained. Also I keep in mind that most people do not have all day to read e-mail, five min max so I get straight to the point and keep it moving.
    Based on the units reading I would check my correspondence for clarity and grammatical error’s before sending.

3. The most effective way I manage my time is to pace myself and begin with the simple task first.
    The tip I would take from the reading is to take things and put them in prospective.

4. I worked with my brother and sister to organize a anniversary party for our parents. It went well. It was a surprise so we had to raise the money to get the food, get the neighbors to help cook the food, and get someone to purchase alcohol. Then we had to get someone to keep them away from the house so we could set up.
    I suggest good communication. That’s what got us past the confusion.

1. Since I work in customer service, I am on the phone a lot. I have found that the most helpful thing for me is to not multitask when I am listening to a patient tell me about their experience. I usually take notes while they are talking. I frequently use phrases such as "yes’, “I see”, “continue”, to assure them I am listening. As a result of this article, I need to slow down when I respond so as to make myself clear to the patient about my concern for their complaint.
  2. In responding to email, I frequently try to give the most concise, clear answer to their problem that I can. I can see from this article that I need to also need to develop a template to simplify the process.
  3. The most effective way for me to manage my time is to make a list in the morning when I first get to work of what has to be done for the day as a priority. I do not check email again until lunch time, then revise or add to the list if needed. I have certain things that I try to get done at certain times through out the month so that reports etc don’t all pile up on the same day. I also try to “let everyday”’ be resolved. I try not to carry over any work from one day to the other if possible. As a result of this study, I am considering the fact that I do need to delegate some work at times instead of trying to do it all myself.
  4. I have worked on several team projects at my job. Recently we had a process that needed to be looked at and reviewed to develop a more time efficient process. I think the biggest challenge is getting everyone possible to every meeting. If people don’t attend regularly then you feel like you are constantly stopping and restarting. It’s a big problem in healthcare, and not one I know how to fix.

1. Use similar body language and tone control as when speaking in person - it comes through.

2. Keep it short and to the point, but include a few pleasantries when possible. With direct communication it’s usually possible.

3. Not multitasking is probably the most helpful but also the hardest for me. Flows have also helped as well as planning and schedules and priorities.

4. I have, and I would suspect being as careful with them as with customers. No need to make someone feel bad just because they don’t agree with you.

1. When talking on the phone, I found it useful to start smiling and really trying to focus on the customer and their needs.

2. I try and make it easy to read. With that, I try to write in short sentences so anybody is able to read my e-mails.

3. I try to plan my day out ahead of time and always remember in the back of my head that I have other things that need to be done. Before starting a task, always find the most effective way to get it done.

4. I suggest talking to each other before starting any project. Make sure everyone fully knows what happening and what needs done. Then, assign people to the best task for them and their abilities.