Academy Home | Student Dashboard

CUST105: Unit 3 Short Writing Exercise: Customer Service Skillsets

Being a worker in customer service people have to deal with other peoples attitudes, disrespect, and different lifestyles. If I was the manager I would show my employees to how to deal with different people. I would show them how to put a customer on hold and tell them what to say in order to keep the customer waiting, but not for to long. I would show them how to be effective in their position by letting them know that it is okay to not know how to deal with certain things, and that it is okay to transfer to a higher person such as myself the manager. On the computer I would tell them to make sure that the information that they are putting out about the business is correct. I will have them to come to a shift manager such a me or any other manager and let us proof read any emails or statements that they are putting out.

Customer service is a team sport — and not just for your customer support team. Train every employee on your helpdesk software so they can all pitch in when times are busy. Sure, you’ll want to pass highly technical cases to the experts, but everyone needs to be able to help out. Successful startups can tell you that when everyone spends time on the front lines, it’s easier to stay aligned around customers and maintain service levels when things get busy.Encourage service agents to ask questions when interacting with customers. The more your agents know about your customers and their needs, the more of an asset those agents are to both your company and your customers. Your customer support team can also be an amazing source of product innovation. Some successful startups have the customer support team present customer feedback at every company meeting. Don’t be a robot.75% of customers believe it takes too long to reach a live agent, and no one likes talking to a robot. So show your customers you aren’t a machine. Encourage agents to add personality to their emails. Or to fill the quiet time when they need to pull up account information by asking customers how the weather is or who their favorite sports teams are — basically anything that adds a personal, friendly face to your support operations.

I would start out by letting the new employees know that communicating over the phone or computer can be difficult sometimes due to the fact that the customers cannot see your facial expressions or body language. Communicating over the phone is a little easier because you can hear and understand someone’s tone of voice, but communicating over the computer can cause complications if you’re not sure what you’re doing due to the fact that you can’t read people’s emotions as well. When communicating over the computer, you need to be as straightforward as possible and try to keep emotions out of it. Keeping a message over the computer straightforward allows no confusion on the customer service workers’ side. When communicating over the phone, an employee needs to have a happy tone to their voice and an upbeat attitude. Sometimes a job will require you to work in teams. This means you need to be able to work well and consistently with other people. Teamwork is a big part of a business job and will often require employees to work with people they are not fond of. To be part of an effective team, employees need to work together to solve the problems at hand as well as learning to overcome arguments to complete the project. Working together to solve problems is a big part of customer service. If you can’t solve a problem on your own, it is up to you to ask other employees for help. Communication is a big key in customer service whether it deals with the customers or other employees.

Telephone communication has always been a way in giving customer service especially in remote offices. Customer who uses this method of communication sure needs an immediate answer. So CSWs must use the following best practices in this communication to be able to provide great service to their customers.

● Use your normal, calm and friendly voice to convey genuine concern
● Be wary in the tone of your voice and the words you choose to say
● Use simple words and utter the words clearly
● Speak at a proper rate of speed and volume depending on those of the customer’s
● Ask for customer’s permission when there’s a need to hold the call
● When there’s a need to transfer call, inform both the customer and the new service representative while explaining to the latter all the information the customer has given.
● Always thank the customers for their patience, apologize for any delays, and let them be at ease by telling them that a solution to their problem is on its way.

On the other hand, computer commincation is now widely used thanks to the worldwide innovations. Everything is now easy, fast and convenient. Take advantage of it both personally and professionally while remembering some practices in E-communication.

● Everything that is posted online can be archieved and whether you like it or not, it might stay there for a long time. So make sure to give time in making messages. Polish it before hiting send. Check the typos, misinformations and some errors.
● To save time, make a customized template and just edit some information for future use.
● Make your messages clear, brief and direct to the point. Your customer, employer or clients are probably being bombarded by a lot of messages from different people so their attention span to those e-mails are just limited, make sure it’s worth it.
● Don’t know what to do? Internet is made to save you and can also help you grow as an individual. Be smart to search for lots of resources online.

To be able to work on a team, one must be aware of his/her own self first. A person must know what he/she can contribute willingly to a team like what are his/her strengths that can be a great addition to the team. Teamwork is about working together on a same goal using the team members’ different assets. When different people learned to work together, that’s when they all become effective.

Bonnette
Jan 30
I would suggest that the best practice for employees when having telephone communication, have a smile in their voice (happy tone) when speaking to customers, be kind, honest. Speak clearly and listen with emotions. Ask permission from customers before placing them on hold, or initiating a transfer, and connecting them with a new representative. Make sure to introduce them to the new contact and inform them that you nave explained their complaint to them. Be sure to thank the customers for their patience, for any delays, and assure them that a solution to their problem will be solve.
When communicating through e-mail, and social media, your writing should be brief. It must clearly convey important detail. Pause and double check for errors before sending the message. The Internet is a valuable tool for searching answer for issues you may be working with and is well in helping develop your work career.
Becoming, a team builder means working well to create an affective team. This may be one of the most challenging aspects at a workplace. Three primary components of an effective team are: a common vision, complementary team member skills, and bonding to which holds the teams together.