CUST105: Unit 3 Short Writing Exercise: Customer Service Skillsets

Being a worker in customer service people have to deal with other peoples attitudes, disrespect, and different lifestyles. If I was the manager I would show my employees to how to deal with different people. I would show them how to put a customer on hold and tell them what to say in order to keep the customer waiting, but not for to long. I would show them how to be effective in their position by letting them know that it is okay to not know how to deal with certain things, and that it is okay to transfer to a higher person such as myself the manager. On the computer I would tell them to make sure that the information that they are putting out about the business is correct. I will have them to come to a shift manager such a me or any other manager and let us proof read any emails or statements that they are putting out.

Customer service is a team sport — and not just for your customer support team. Train every employee on your helpdesk software so they can all pitch in when times are busy. Sure, you’ll want to pass highly technical cases to the experts, but everyone needs to be able to help out. Successful startups can tell you that when everyone spends time on the front lines, it’s easier to stay aligned around customers and maintain service levels when things get busy.Encourage service agents to ask questions when interacting with customers. The more your agents know about your customers and their needs, the more of an asset those agents are to both your company and your customers. Your customer support team can also be an amazing source of product innovation. Some successful startups have the customer support team present customer feedback at every company meeting. Don’t be a robot.75% of customers believe it takes too long to reach a live agent, and no one likes talking to a robot. So show your customers you aren’t a machine. Encourage agents to add personality to their emails. Or to fill the quiet time when they need to pull up account information by asking customers how the weather is or who their favorite sports teams are — basically anything that adds a personal, friendly face to your support operations.

I would start out by letting the new employees know that communicating over the phone or computer can be difficult sometimes due to the fact that the customers cannot see your facial expressions or body language. Communicating over the phone is a little easier because you can hear and understand someone’s tone of voice, but communicating over the computer can cause complications if you’re not sure what you’re doing due to the fact that you can’t read people’s emotions as well. When communicating over the computer, you need to be as straightforward as possible and try to keep emotions out of it. Keeping a message over the computer straightforward allows no confusion on the customer service workers’ side. When communicating over the phone, an employee needs to have a happy tone to their voice and an upbeat attitude. Sometimes a job will require you to work in teams. This means you need to be able to work well and consistently with other people. Teamwork is a big part of a business job and will often require employees to work with people they are not fond of. To be part of an effective team, employees need to work together to solve the problems at hand as well as learning to overcome arguments to complete the project. Working together to solve problems is a big part of customer service. If you can’t solve a problem on your own, it is up to you to ask other employees for help. Communication is a big key in customer service whether it deals with the customers or other employees.

Telephone communication has always been a way in giving customer service especially in remote offices. Customer who uses this method of communication sure needs an immediate answer. So CSWs must use the following best practices in this communication to be able to provide great service to their customers.

● Use your normal, calm and friendly voice to convey genuine concern
● Be wary in the tone of your voice and the words you choose to say
● Use simple words and utter the words clearly
● Speak at a proper rate of speed and volume depending on those of the customer’s
● Ask for customer’s permission when there’s a need to hold the call
● When there’s a need to transfer call, inform both the customer and the new service representative while explaining to the latter all the information the customer has given.
● Always thank the customers for their patience, apologize for any delays, and let them be at ease by telling them that a solution to their problem is on its way.

On the other hand, computer commincation is now widely used thanks to the worldwide innovations. Everything is now easy, fast and convenient. Take advantage of it both personally and professionally while remembering some practices in E-communication.

● Everything that is posted online can be archieved and whether you like it or not, it might stay there for a long time. So make sure to give time in making messages. Polish it before hiting send. Check the typos, misinformations and some errors.
● To save time, make a customized template and just edit some information for future use.
● Make your messages clear, brief and direct to the point. Your customer, employer or clients are probably being bombarded by a lot of messages from different people so their attention span to those e-mails are just limited, make sure it’s worth it.
● Don’t know what to do? Internet is made to save you and can also help you grow as an individual. Be smart to search for lots of resources online.

To be able to work on a team, one must be aware of his/her own self first. A person must know what he/she can contribute willingly to a team like what are his/her strengths that can be a great addition to the team. Teamwork is about working together on a same goal using the team members’ different assets. When different people learned to work together, that’s when they all become effective.

Bonnette
Jan 30
I would suggest that the best practice for employees when having telephone communication, have a smile in their voice (happy tone) when speaking to customers, be kind, honest. Speak clearly and listen with emotions. Ask permission from customers before placing them on hold, or initiating a transfer, and connecting them with a new representative. Make sure to introduce them to the new contact and inform them that you nave explained their complaint to them. Be sure to thank the customers for their patience, for any delays, and assure them that a solution to their problem will be solve.
When communicating through e-mail, and social media, your writing should be brief. It must clearly convey important detail. Pause and double check for errors before sending the message. The Internet is a valuable tool for searching answer for issues you may be working with and is well in helping develop your work career.
Becoming, a team builder means working well to create an affective team. This may be one of the most challenging aspects at a workplace. Three primary components of an effective team are: a common vision, complementary team member skills, and bonding to which holds the teams together.

To observe the caller by their tone and be polite
They should listing carefully and speak clearly.
They shouldn’t write long emails with full of ambiguities.

I would tell the new employees that even though they are talking on the phone or over the computer, that they still need to be kind. I would tell them that they might not be able to see that person that they are communicating with over the phone or computer, but they can still hear you. I would tell them to speak clearly and softly while talking on the phone. Even talking over the phone or computer communication you can still tell how that person feels; if they are happy or sad, or angry. Emails and phone text messaging are really easy to misinterpret. If you are on the phone or sending a email and get frustrated then take a step back, clear your mind and focus on that one situation. Do not let the customer see you get frustrated. I would tell them that teamwork is important, and they need to work together. Working together as a team lets you get so much accomplished and lightens everyone’s work load. You need to have pride in everything that you do. I would tell them to manage their time wisely and not to get stressed out. I would tell them that if they do get stressed out then talk to someone or take a 5 minute break. Take care of yourself and watch out for your teammates. I would let them know that if they are going through a rough time; do not worry, it will all work out. I would end by saying try your best and work hard!

All my employees need to put these actions into communicating on the phone and over the computer. While talking with customers on the phone you want to consider your tone of voice. Your communication with the customers should decrease frustration and dissatisfaction. Your voice should be calm and friendly while also speaking clearly. Speak on the same leave as the customer use short word and sentences so your customer isn’t overwhelmed by jargon they might not understand. Quickly resolve your customers issues, give them their options and come to the solution together. Let the customer have a say in the resolution. If you are unable to sole the issue than transfer them to someone who can. Explain to the customer why you need to transfer them to someone else and how they are equipped to better help them with this problem. Make sure the person that is I receiving the customer knows the situation and understands what tis being asked of them. The should not have to keep repeating the situation over again. When you are reunited with the customer thank them for understanding why you need to transfer them and make sure the problem is resolved and handled appropriately. When communicating over computer we need to remember that these communications last longer than most interactions. With these messages or post things can get lost in translation. For instance, the short messages can be taken as rude and temperamental. Your goal with this type of communication is to make the message concessive and comprehensible. Short messages can be taken as rude and temperament. So, make sure your message sends the right tone. You want to give a cordial tone while keeping your customers attention and giving them the information, they desire. Try using a template that is already set up to explain an issue that is already being handled. Make sure to personalize your messages so that customers feel as if you are focusing on them

While chatting with clients on the telephone you need to think about your manner of speaking. Your voice ought to be quiet and well-disposed while likewise talking plainly. Talk on an indistinguishable leave from the client utilize short word and sentences so your client isn’t overpowered by language they won’t not get it. Rapidly resolve your client’s issues, give them their alternatives and go to the arrangement together. Give the client a chance to have a say in the determination. On the off chance that you can’t sole the issue than exchange them to somebody who can. Disclose to the client why you have to exchange them to another person and how they are prepared to better help them with this issue. Ensure the individual that is I getting the client knows the circumstance and comprehends what tis being asked of them. The ought to not need to continue rehashing the circumstance over. When you are brought together with the client say thanks to them for understanding why you have to exchange them and ensure the issue is settled and taken care of properly. When imparting over PC we have to recall that these correspondences last longer than generally communications. With these messages or post things can lose all sense of direction in interpretation. For example, the short messages can be taken as inconsiderate and volatile. Your objective with this kind of correspondence is to make the message concessive and fathomable. Short messages can be taken as impolite and demeanor. Along these lines, ensure your message sends the correct tone. You need to give a friendly tone while keeping your clients consideration and giving them the data, they want. Take a stab at utilizing a layout that is now set up to clarify an issue that is as of now being dealt with. Make a point to customize your messages with the goal that clients feel as though you are concentrating on them

If were the manager of a customer service department orienting new employees on the best practices in telephone and computer communications, as well as team work effectiveness and personal development. Telephone services includes any voice-to-voice communication. There are many ways to communicate with a customer. You should remember that when you are speaking to a person you are no able to notice facials expressions or body language therefore you have to keep in mind to keep the customer from becoming frustrated. You should always speak clear and remain calm. Also a smile can be heard through the phone so make sure you are still using a calm and friendly voice. If you have to transfer a customer make sure you ask for permission and give them a reason for transferring their call. Introduce them to the person they are being transferred to. If they are on wait, make sure you check up on them and assure them a solution is on the way. Always apologize for delays and thank your customer for their patience and business. When communicating online it is pretty much the same just stick to the point and be direct. Always check for spelling errors use the internet when you need further explanations or help with something you are trying to communicate over the internet.
One of the most challenging things as a customer service worker is working in teams. For a company to have a good team there are 3 components a common vision, complementary team member skills, and bonding that holds the team together. An effective team should bond and realize that the team can be effective if everyone contributes and uses their unique abilities to have a dynamic team. For there to be a good environment at work you have to leave your life and work separate. You need to take care of yourself be aware of time management and productivity, always work hard and try to succeed at anything possible. Make sure you have down time to relax and rest after a long day of work this can relieve a lot of stress.

i’ve never been thinking that joining a forum can be so helpful! thanks a lot guys for everything. and by the way

i just couldn’t agree more with this!

If I were a hiring manager the best advice that I would give to newly hired customer service workers regarding communications, teamwork and personal development is to focus on your communication tactics, using modes of teamwork evolution and to set goals for personal growth.
With telephone and computer communications, since the information may be miscommunicated there are additional strategies to use.
Speaking on the phone allows more of an advantage for communicating to your customers because they are able to hear your tone of voice which the best tips is to speak cordially and using a normal rate of speed to speak.
Additional advise when speaking to customers is to apologize for their wait times since at times the wait time can be longer, and they have most likely encountered alot of automated options before reaching the customer service worker (CSW).
In electronic communicatons, the only way for the customer to know you are being sincere is by using the proper written communications. Being succinct and formal in written communications is the best advise. Its also a good idea to proof read any electronic communications before sending them.
During orientation, discussing methods of good teamwork and personal growth which will also contribute to a positive CSW work experience.
For effective teamwork, applying the four modes of effective teamwork from unit 3 using the "“forming,” “storming,” “norming,” and “performing” stages.
I also believe that seeing each other as a constant team even when not assembled as a team is an effective way at working better as a team.
The CSW also must focus on personal growth to excel at both work and home which will allow for a more happier and productive CSW. Setting goals is one way to support personal growth and giving your self small rewards for accomplishments.
To conclude, personal growth will allow for a more effective CSW even working alone or with a team.

I agree with you that all employees should always work as a team to help other co workers out and this is too beneficial when there are team assignments given.

That is really good advise about teamwork to stay focused on working well as a team.

Hello everyone, we will be going over few customer service skill sets. I will be going over a few things, such as, how to communicate with customer’s over the telephone, via e-mail, and the internet. We will also cover customer service worker self-care and teamwork on the job.
First of all, before us as customer service workers can take care of our customers, we must take care of ourselves. Taking care our self does not involve spoiling and pampering ourselves, even though that would be nice. It means getting the proper amount of rest. We can maximize our productivity and overcome work fatigue. So you all are required to take the breaks that are given to you each and every day. You assigned supervisor will be responsible for managing your workload.
Now we may be communicating with our customers over the telephone, e-mail, and on our website. Now in the absence of any face to face interactions. We should speak at a proper speed and volume. Keep in mind that tone is very important. We must speak in a tone that shows commitment and concern. When speaking over then phone we are trying to make customers feel better about any situation. If we have to e-mail any of our customers, remember to keep it brief. Even though the message should be kept at a minimum, make sure to state the most important thing, the reason you are contacting them and make sure you keep a professional tone when typing that e-mail. Also, if you do not know how to properly type an e-mail, you can always check the internet for templates. They’ll basically give you an idea of what your message should look like.
Another important factor to is teamwork. Remember there is no I in teamwork! To make a vision come true, there must be a strong sense of leadership. Our team consists of our subordinates, colleagues, and superiors. If we remember to help each other, we should continue to be a booming company.

Great advice and you’re right, without personal growth and development, a person will not excel at anything.

Telephones and the internet are both examples of the new ways communication is occuring as advances in technology and society take place. While taking away the nonverbal elements of face-to-face communication can obscure meaning and muddy the intended message, if mindful communication techniques are used, technology opens the door for instant, concise, helpful business communications.

During a phone call, we are left without the advantage of visual cues. Tone of voice and careful word selection must be used in place of visual cues to communicate meaning to the customer. During a phone call you will want to match your pace, volume, and vocabulary to the other person in order to avoid overwhelming a nervous or angry caller.

The goal in a phone call is to quickly identify the issue, describe the options, pick a suitable resolution with customer teamwork and participation, and then to fix any problems. Sometimes this goal cannot be completed on your own, and you will need to transfer the customer to a supervisor, another employee, or another department.

As you talk to someone more, you begin to unknowingly build rapport with them. If you have built rapport with a caller and then need to transfer them, transfer stress may occur. Communicating your reasons, apologizing for delay, and thanking the caller for their patience are all strategies to reduce transfer stress during calls.

E-communications include any communication that is web or computer based, including emails.

Emails are intended to be brief, have a clearly defined subject, and touch on one to two main points.

The challenge of effective e-communication lies in constructing a message that is concise, yet comprehensive enough to cover your main points. Using template copy wherever possible can help organize your writing and keep your points concise. You have the opportunity to personalize the templates as you go, which often lends to the freshness and relevance of the communication. E-communications can be summarized as being simple, cordial, clear, and brief.

Teams exist in every area of life and are vital to the success of a business. There are three primary components of effective teamwork. Teams must share a common vision and mission among all members. A common vision comes from strong leadership and a mission statement which directs the actions of the team.

Effective teamwork utilizes the complementary skills of each team member. When a team is in the forming stage, the skills and talents of each team member may be initially unclear to others. As teams grow in cohesion, the different but complementary skills of each teammate arise and are used for the attainment of the team goal. Interpersonal bonds can be thought of as the glue that holds teams together as teammates get to know each other and grow closer, uniting under their shared goal and common focus.

Practicing self-care is imperative to success in careers, relationships, and life in general. Self care involves protecting your mood and mindset at work by not allowing exterior negativity to drag you down with it.

While connection to others is what marks your success in customer service, it is important to regulate and not allow yourself to become drained by dealing with an endless stream of problems all day long. Don’t take your work home with you. Put your work into context and maintain a healthy work-life balance. Grow in other areas of life - work isn’t everything.

As the manager of customer service, I would remind my new hires of several things, based on this unit’s reading.

First of all, remember to treat the customer with respect and patience. Everyone is different, and what might work with one customer won’t necessarily work with the next one. You have to be flexible with such things.

Secondly, the customer can not see your expressions, unless a camera is involved, so keep your opinions and emotions to yourself. This will make a better impression on the customer.

Thirdly, remember to always smile when using telephonic services, on the computer it doesn’t matter if you smile or not, unless there is a camera involved, but a smile on the phone will make you sound more friendly to the caller. With e-communications, please take time to proofread and make sure what you said is what you are saying.

Fourth, pay attention to the tone of your voice and the rate at which you speak. A normal tone and volume will probably best suit the situation, and you should try to speak at a rate of four syllables per second, or one hundred forty words per minute. Select your words carefully so the customer can understand what you are explaining to them, this will help alleviate some of the confusion that could occur. If it’s necessary to transfer a call, first get the customer’s permission, then explain the situation to the other customer service worker or supervisor, and check back in with the customer every twenty to thirty seconds, so they don’t think you’ve deserted them. Be sure to thank the customer, before transferring the call, for their patience and cooperation in waiting for the call to be transferred.

Use a template or copy of standard e-communications to make it easier and more clear for the customer to understand what you are saying. By necessity, e-communications are brief and to the point. Don’t get wordy or veer from the subject at hand. Use a cordial tone in your writing to keep the customer calm and help to get the issue resolved sooner.

Keeping these pointers in mind can help develop your own career.

To start off we will first cover how to handle telephonic communications. You as an employee do not know if you will be talking on a corded phone, a smart phone, or even using Skype to talk to customers face to face. You will need to learn how to communicate well while talking to the customers. You need to convey what you are saying very well to the customers so they understand exactly what you are doing to help them. Always act correctly and don’t be rude even if the customer can not see you.

When responding back to a customer via email, social network, or thru the company chat lines, make sure you are responding correctly. Do not abbreviate any of your words, do not use slang when typing back. Always be courteous and you do not have to write back as if you are writing a business letter. You can be a little carefree with your writing. Make sure you address the customer with Mr. or Mrs, or even by their first name. When ending the response you do not need to make it formal. A simple “We appreciate your business, and hope to see them again soon” will work.

When you are put in a team to work together on a project you all need to make sure even if you do not get along to not let that interfere with your work. We as a team need to work together to make sure we get our projects done for work and for the company. In the end if we can not work together and be neutral on things we could be fired for being insubordinate. Team work, works best when we all contribute what we are best at for helping with the project.

Telephone communication: Use the caller’s name as soon as you know it, be sincere to the customer, be polite to the customer as well, and adopt a positive tone.
Computer communication: be precise, polite, and brief, be considerate of time frames, use a considerate tone over email,
Team work effectiveness: Establish trust because no team can stand in the absence of trust among team members, understand yourself and your emotions, understand others too, define roles so that each person knows what they have to do.
Personal development: Find a mentor, read often, research, go for further training, have enough rest and relaxation, find a role model you can look up to, stay honest with your self.